Old 11-08-2009, 02:30 PM #1
Uziel Gal
It's not a Geo2, honest..

Uziel Gal donated to help Peyton Trent
Uziel Gal owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
Uziel Gal owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Uziel Gal supports our troops
The truth (sorta) about Eteks.....

There have been a few questions that have turned up regularly in the Etek forum, and for a while now, a few people have asked if there should be a stuck thread that deals with these questions. For a while now, I've been meaning to do something about it, and..... well..... for one reason or another I've never had the time to get it done.

Of course, things don't stand still, and as we all by now know, the Etek3 is soon to be released. That release is no doubt going to bring a whole slew of new Etek and Ego comparisons, so now seems to be the perfect time to deal with the old questions before the new ones start appearing.

I think before I get on to the questions, I should perhaps explain the thread title, as I am sure that there will be some people who will disagree with my comments.

I shall answer these questions truthfully, at least in so much as I believe this information to be the truth. I shall also provide facts to back up these statements to help you see what I am basing my comments on.

Are these answers likely to contain any opinion or bias? Honestly speaking, there can't help but be some bias or opinion when the answers are coming from one person - my responses may be based on factual information, but you are obviously reading my own personal interpretation of that information - other people may interpret that information differently for one reason or another. Again, hopefully the information I provide will at least allow you to see how I have come to my conclusions, even if you do not necessarily wholeheartedly agree with them.

So, in so much as I am interpreting the information, this is (sorta) the truth about Eteks.

So, without further ado, let's have a look at some of the questions that have regularly been asked about the Etek line of markers, consider some facts, and hopefully come to some conclusions.

Q. The Etek is just a simplified '06 Ego right, with a few bits changed to make it cheaper?

A. As a concept, that's not too far from the truth, but the reality is actually very different. The Etek may well be based on the '06 Ego, but rather than just "downgrading" an '06 Ego to make it cheaper, Planet went back to the drawing board and designed a completely new, Ego style marker, that could be made cheaper. The end result of this is that a lot of the parts of the Ego and Etek aren't actually interchangeable. There is much more of a difference between the Etek and '06 Ego then simplified milling, a lack of QEVs and a cheaper board.

A few parts - the bolt, HPR and trigger for instance - are interchangeable (though even then, you wouldn't be able to use the magnetic return adjustment on the '06 Ego trigger if installed in an Etek frame, so even parts that are interchangeable may not actually be 100% compatible), but many more aren't.

Without getting too anal (I'm not going to mention every single difference - there's more than enough differences to make a point without mentioning everything), some of the differences between the two markers are the body (not just a milling change - the way that the rammer housing fits in to the body and interacts with the LP fittings has also changed), the bolt, the rammer, rammer housing, banjo barbs rather than QEVs, the solenoid, LPR body, LPR springs, the frame, the trigger, and the board. As well as the board featuring an LCD, with the additional features that the LCD supports, the Ego board also uses an optical trigger sensor, rather than a microswitch.

Other changes are basically just down to milling, such as the external look of the front reg mount, the LPR cap and the HPR. All pretty much the same as the '06 Ego parts, but with a plainer, simpler look to them to reduce milling costs and production time.

Last edited by Uziel Gal : 11-08-2009 at 05:55 PM.
Uziel Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 11-08-2009, 03:24 PM #2
Uziel Gal

Q. So why should I buy an '06 Ego? Surely I could just buy an Etek and upgrade it to be an '06 Ego?

A. If you have read the answer to the above question, you'll hopefully see that there is a bit more of a difference to the '06 Ego and the Etek then there first appears, and while you can carry out some simple upgrades to the Etek, you'll never actually turn it in to an '06 Ego, as so many of the parts aren't interchangeable.

Some obvious performance and/or feature differences between the '06 Ego and the Etek are the Ego's magnetic trigger, it's LCD board, it's QEVs and it's faster cycling solenoid. The LCD board is very easy to program, and provides many more features and adjustments than the stock Etek board, with more control over the sensitivity of the trigger, as well as LCD supported features such as a game timer, shot counter and rate of fire counter.

OK, you could install the Ego trigger in the Etek frame, but you wouldn't have the magnetic return without modifying the frame to install a magnet. You might be able to get the LCD board in an Etek frame, but again, only after modifying the frame. QEVs? Same, the frame or body would need to be modified to make space for a QEV. All these modifications would carry a risk of damaging your frame or marker body.

Of course, if you installed an Ego frame on your Etek, you could easily install the trigger and LCD board, but the fact is that the Ego and Etek frames are different, and an Ego frame will not bolt directly on to an Etek. So the frame would need to be modified, and you are back to risking a frame to make your modification.

The fact is that an Etek just isn't the same as an Ego, and isn't meant to become one.

There is of course the Etek STAR frame, which consists of a new frame, new grips, an LCD board, roller bearing trigger and a QEV, providing a comprehensive all in one upgrade of the Etek or Etek2 - more on that later.

OK, now for three similar questions: -

Q. What is the difference between the Etek and Etek2?

Q. Why is the Etek so much cheaper than the Etek2?

Q. Is the Etek2 worth the extra over the Etek?

A. One thing that needs to be kept in mind when comparing the Etek and Etek2, particularly when considering the price of the two markers, is that the Etek was released two years prior to the Etek2, so it is no surprise that the price of the Etek had dropped over time. Not to mention the fact that when a marker model (or car model, or just about anything else for that matter) is superseded by a newer model, the price of the older model invariably drops.

While there will always be a two year age gap between the Etek and Etek2, and hence there will always be some degree of difference in price (certainly for the foreseeable future), I think it is worth pointing out that the release price of the Etek was the same as the release price of the Etek2. As such, any improvements made to the Etek2 over the Etek, could be seen as making the Etek2 better value than the Etek. Problem is that it is hard to make that comparison two years later, when the price of the Etek ISN'T equal to the price of the Etek2

So, other than a change in styling/milling, what do you get for your money with the Etek2? Well, the basic function remains the same, and you have the same rammer, same rammer housing and LP fittings, the same solenoid, same bolt etc. However, you now have the 2-piece Shaft2 barrel, an alloy high-flow LPR piston, an Ego8 style HPR with coil spring internals and an alloy high-flow piston, a new frame, new board, new trigger and the frame features a T-Slot ASA rail and matching ASA.

OK, the trigger is different, but doesn't actually do anything that the old trigger didn't, and the biggest difference in the board is that it allows for an interchangeable microswitch, and fits width ways in the frame - other than that, it's features and adjustments are the same as the Etek board's. The frame is different in so much as it has the T-slot ASA rail, and fits the new board. Still, they are all genuine differences, if not necessarily great advances.

Again, it is hard to make meaningful value comparisons between markers that are two years apart, but these additions to the Etek2 have to make for better value, at least in terms of both markers having the same retail price at time of release - an Etek2 in 2008 was better value than an Etek in 2006. Now of course, you could buy the cheaper Etek, and use the price difference to add similar upgrades to the Etek, but you would eat a fair way in to your savings, and still have the older marker at the end of it.

Last edited by Uziel Gal : 11-11-2009 at 12:40 AM.
Old 11-10-2009, 06:46 PM #3
Uziel Gal

OK, here's the big one, and always a bone of contention between Etek and Ego owners.....

Q. I've got an Etek2 with a Cure bolt, Zick Kit and an Etek STAR frame, so isn't that better than an Ego7?

Q. I've got an Etek2 with a Cure bolt, Zick Kit and Etek STAR frame, so that is basically an Ego8, right?

A. When dealing with questions of this nature, it as well to look back over ALL of the previous questions and answers, as they all deal with certain elements of the answer to this question.

Although we are now considering a newer Etek and comparing it to newer Egos, the fact remains the same, just as it did when comparing the Etek to the '06 Ego - changes and improvements may have been made to the Etek2, but still more changes and improvements have been made to the Egos. Even if you were to ignore the changes made to each marker, there are still things that separate the Egos and Eteks anyway - the '06 Ego had a faster solenoid than the Etek, and the Ego7 and Ego8 also have faster solenoids than the Etek2 (which uses the same solenoid as the Etek, whereas the Ego7 and Ego8 use a different solenoid to the '05 and '06 Egos).

OK, with the Etek2, you now have the Shaft2 barrel introduced with the Ego7, and you have the coil spring HPR and aluminium reg pistons introduced on the SL74 and then made stock with the Ego8. The reg and pistons are actually an improvement over the Ego7 equivalents, if only because the Etek is newer and so got the newer parts. Adding a Cure bolt would bring the Etek in line with the Ego7, as would the STAR frame's LCD board, roller bearing trigger and QEV. The addition of a Zick Kit would be something beyond the Ego7's stock feature set.

OK, so a fully upgraded Etek2 would have some newer parts, as well as some features that the stock Ego7 wouldn't have, but it isn't just features that make an Ego what it is. As was mentioned earlier, the Etek design is based on the '06 Ego, and it shares it's construction method with it, utilising a body with a separate rammer housing and a separate front reg mount. The Etek2 may be two years newer, but under the new milling, and despite the new barrel, new frame, new board, new trigger and new reg, it shares the same construction method as the Etek and '06 Ego. The Ego7 on the other hand was entirely re-designed, with a one-piece body incorporating the rammer housing and the FRM, and due to the lack of a solenoid housing, there is also a separate valve - this makes the marker smaller, narrower, lower and lighter. It's one of the fundamental differences that ensures that the Etek and Etek2 just aren't the same as the newer Egos. You can upgrade the Etek's performance, give it Ego like features, but it'll still not be an Ego - there will always be some differences.

It is these differences that would lead me to choose an Ego7 over an upgraded Etek2, even though the Etek2 would in theory have the slightly better feature set, and be the newer marker - there has just been more development put in to the Ego7, and despite being newer, much of the Etek2 harks back to the 2006 Etek.

In comparison to the Ego8, things are even more clear cut, as the Ego8 has all the new 2008 parts that the Etek2 has, as well as all the Ego parts that you would be adding to the Etek2 as upgrades (in the Etek versions of course), plus it has the 2007/2008 construction, as well as adding features of it's own - the dual QEV block in place of the single QEV. Plus, like all the Egos before it, it has the faster solenoid.

A fully upgraded Etek2 may be broadly comparable to an Ego7 or 8, but they just aren't the same thing.

Last edited by Uziel Gal : 05-18-2010 at 07:39 AM.
Old 11-10-2009, 09:27 PM #4
embickillo
The one and only

embickillo donated to help Peyton Trent
embickillo supports Bob Gurnsey
Good stuff to know. to you for taking the time to make this.
embickillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 07:32 AM #5
Sp P8ntballer
Heart of a lion

Sp P8ntballer supports Team VICIOUS
This will answer ALOT of peoples questions..

Sp P8ntballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 12:03 PM #6
levesque45
TFM

levesque45 plays in the PSP
levesque45 owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
levesque45 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
levesque45 is Legendary
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sp P8ntballer View Post
YET they will STILL continue to ask them....
levesque45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 09:02 PM #7
BigJenkies

BigJenkies helped look for balloons
BigJenkies owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sp P8ntballer View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by levesque45 View Post

lets see how many will actually read it
BigJenkies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 09:58 PM #8
shadoflame
i can pump 30 bps, no AT.

shadoflame owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
i find it sad that this had to be written.
Old 12-20-2009, 08:35 PM #9
V5ioV

V5ioV owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
i really needed this thread
V5ioV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 11:39 PM #10
interscope8
RIP Cale "Benji" Paschen

interscope8 helped look for balloons
interscope8 is playing at Living Legends III
Ok, i know I'll probably be made fun of for asking, but, would an up'd etek preform at a level comparable to an ego7/ 8? I know you answered questions regarding if they would be the same, but this is slightly different. Thanks.
RIP CBP #40
Purdue Boilermakers
interscope8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 11:19 AM #11
Uziel Gal

Really depends what upgrades you are talking about, and what performance aspects you are referring to, and just how close the performance would have to be before you considered them to be "comparable".

For instance, if you installed the Etek STAR frame, you would have an Ego7 style frame and grips, an Ego8 trigger, Ego8 style board, and a single QEV like the Ego7. So feature wise, you would be very much in the same ballpark as the Ego7 and Ego8. However, performance wise, the Etek still wouldn't be able to shoot as fast as the Ego7, as while both would have a single QEV, the Ego7 has a faster cycling solenoid.

Egos have different valving and internal milling, leading to better efficiency and lower operating pressures than the Etek.

As I'm sure I mentioned in the previous posts, there are always things that separate the Egos and Eteks - yes, with some upgrades, you can give an Etek a lot of the features of an Ego7 or Ego8, and a good percentage of it's performance, but there will still be differences, and they won't be equal.

Don't get me wrong, a fully upgraded Etek is a great marker in it's own right, but even if you ignore the construction differences, and just look at performance, it still doesn't quite match an Ego7 or Ego8.
Old 01-02-2010, 01:10 PM #12
shadoflame
i can pump 30 bps, no AT.

shadoflame owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
if you were given 25 egos containing a mix of ego7 w/ zick, ego8, star'd&zicke'd etek1/2, and etek3 all tuned with lpr 2 turns in to shoot without looking at the gun, chances are you'd be hard pressed to pick the eteks out of the group.
Old 01-02-2010, 01:35 PM #13
interscope8
RIP Cale "Benji" Paschen

interscope8 helped look for balloons
interscope8 is playing at Living Legends III
Awesome thanks for the help
RIP CBP #40
Purdue Boilermakers
interscope8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 03:54 PM #14
Uziel Gal

I wouldn't actually recommend turning the LPR screw in two turns on anything prior to SL8R LPR - the actual difference in LPR output pressure is actually pretty small, and you increase the risk of damaging the reg seat seal. That can lead to inconsistency, creeping, and possibly even a total failure of the LPR to regulate. That would mean your HPR pressure going straight in to the solenoid, with possibly expensive consequences.

The SL8R style LPR does have a wider adjustment range before you are likely to run in to problems, so two turns in isn't an issue.

Funnily enough though, having recently done some adjustments on an Etek3 LPR, I found that with the LPR flush, 1 turn in and 2 turns in, I got an LPR output pressure of 100psi with each adjustment. It wasn't until I got 3 turns in that I saw a difference in output pressure. The Etek3 may actually be running the same LPR output pressure at 2 turns in as the Etek or Etek2 would with the screw flush.

Anyway, irrespective of how the markers may feel in a blindfolded test, the Ego7 and Ego8 would still be more efficient, able to shoot faster, and depending on tuning, would most likely be running lower operating pressures and hence be quieter. Like I said, it all depends on what aspects of performance you are comparing.
Old 01-03-2010, 11:59 PM #15
Putrid

Uziel Gal...is there any way you could do what you just did in your first few posts with the Etek 3? Your posts are always so informative . Thanks.
Putrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 01:54 AM #16
Uziel Gal

Have you had a look at this thread?

The truth (sorta) about the Etek3
Old 01-04-2010, 02:26 AM #17
p8ntballr68059
Post whore since 08

Annual Supporting Member
p8ntballr68059 supports Team VICIOUS
p8ntballr68059 plays in the APPA D5 division
p8ntballr68059 is one of the top 25 posters on PbNation
p8ntballr68059 is Boss
p8ntballr68059 supports DLX Technology
now we can link them though

Quote:
Originally Posted by levesque45 View Post
this is true but now we have a thread to link them too so they can just learn to read
Vicious fan #42
My Current markers Texas Storm G6R,Insight,Sniper,Vice,Marq 7, TonTon Shocker
p8ntballr68059 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 07:53 PM #18
Putrid

Actually Uzi, no I have not...must have missed it. Thanks.
Putrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 10:01 PM #19
pumpkid32

ya good post
pumpkid32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 08:22 PM #20
Inverted2

Inverted2 owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
Inverted2 is an NCPA player
Inverted2 plays in the APPA D4 division
Good to know thanks
Inverted2 is offline   Reply With Quote