sumorai is a Mega Moderator
sumorai is a Supporting Member
sumorai plays in the PSP
sumorai is playing at Living Legends VII
sumorai supports our troops
sumorai has perfected Level 5 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by trogdor444 View Post
while there's probably no teams who are "bound" to play at a field......for example saying Crisis could only play at BPS and Maynard......i believe what Dave means is that for certain teams, it's alot cheaper due to sponsors n what not to play at certain fields?
No, we could play anywhere we wanted. We did go to Fox 4 once for the AXBL reffing day, and we would have gone more if we'd been asked to. Most teams we practiced against seemed to want to come to Maynard, so that's where we ended up.

NEPb - Simonized - Inception Designs - Destructive Customs - Clockwork Clothing - Feedback: Old New - Stuff for sale

I am not a MacDev tech. Please do not PM me about their products. Click here instead
sumorai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 10:18 AM #2
trogdor444

that's not what i was sayin.......my point was it's likely cheaper for a team to play at their home field (i.e. Crisis at Maynard).....and with some teams' budgets and their players budgets (givin this ****ty economy) playin for cheaper is sometimes the only choice to play

Section 8
trogdor444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 10:24 AM #3
Shecki
Clockwork Clothing

Annual Supporting Member
Shecki is a Supporting Member
Shecki plays in the PSP
Shecki owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
Shecki owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
Shecki supports our troops
Shecki plays in the APPA D3 division
Quote:
that's not what i was sayin.......my point was it's likely cheaper for a team to play at their home field (i.e. Crisis at Maynard).....and with some teams' budgets and their players budgets (givin this ****ty economy) playin for cheaper is sometimes the only choice to play
Agree 100%.
Shecki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 10:25 AM #4
sumorai
FRENCHIE

Annual Supporting Member
sumorai plays in the PSP
Quote:
Ah, yeah. Well, it is certainly cheaper that way.

NEPb - Simonized - Inception Designs - Destructive Customs - Clockwork Clothing - Feedback: Old New - Stuff for sale

I am not a MacDev tech. Please do not PM me about their products. Click here instead
Old 11-06-2009, 10:39 AM #5
jmac3

Dave 187 came to camelot once...I tried to get us there
jmac3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 11:39 AM #6
brawnpb

brawnpb plays in the APPA D4 division
The problem with Camelot, is that most of the kids who play for Legion are just that, kids. I know for the 2008 season, there were only 2 or 3 of us with cars, and I live in Worcester. I made the drive out to Camelot all summer long. Only 3 of us were above the age of 18 also, again, same 3 with a car (I'm 24) I think this past season, the team gained some new older talent. A majority of the players, other than you jmac, live in that Springfield area.

As to why the Camelot teams did not return the favor and go to Fox4 is beyond me. Maybe financial reasons were the motive. I know for a fact that most of the kids at that field can only afford to play by reffing on Saturday and getting a case on Sunday for their labors. That probably has alot to do with it, especially when dealing with kids 17 and under. As to why the other sponsored teams from Camelot did not go, again, pure speculation.

Now, what I would like to see happen as a NE community is that teams from different fields have a rotating practice schedule at their fields. Say Fox4, Maynard, Camelot, etc. One weekend, all AXBL/PSP/FoXball (that's right Dave, I've been reading your forums) teams go to Fox4, next weekend Maynard, next weekend Camelot, and so on. Financially speaking from a field owners view, not sure if it would be beneficial however. Would two or more weekends of not having your home teams at your field be worthwhile if on that third weekend you are bringing in a substantial profit based on the teams that show up for that weekend? I'm not sure, though someone could run the numbers accurately.

P.S. Jmac, by the way, it's Smith. Legiong still going to be around next year? If so I'm coming back =D
Old 11-06-2009, 11:45 AM #7
abcito

abcito is a Supporting Member
abcito is a founding member
 has been a member for 10 years
abcito owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
To clarify 187 coming out to Camelot we(Hartford Eclipse) had a great practice with them. It was the weekend before the final event. Well needless to say we didn't make the playoffs. A majority of the players on the team are driving from the eastern part of the state and would have loved to return the favor and visit Fox4...but it was late in the season and our season was done at that point. Hopefully we'll be able to visit Fox4 for several practices next year.
abcito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 11:45 AM #8
sumorai
FRENCHIE

Annual Supporting Member
sumorai plays in the PSP
There is a limit to the number of teams that can realistically show up and practice any given day also. Considering the number of AXBL/MXL teams that were in the area this year (and how many more xball teams there may be next year with foxball/NEXL) you'd have to have some serious organization to make that work.

Old 11-06-2009, 12:10 PM #9
brawnpb

brawnpb plays in the APPA D4 division
Quote:
Originally Posted by abcito View Post
To clarify 187 coming out to Camelot we(Hartford Eclipse) had a great practice with them. It was the weekend before the final event. Well needless to say we didn't make the playoffs. A majority of the players on the team are driving from the eastern part of the state and would have loved to return the favor and visit Fox4...but it was late in the season and our season was done at that point. Hopefully we'll be able to visit Fox4 for several practices next year.
Thanks for clarifying.

sumorai: There is a limit to the number of teams that can realistically show up and practice any given day also. Considering the number of AXBL/MXL teams that were in the area this year (and how many more xball teams there may be next year with foxball/NEXL) you'd have to have some serious organization to make that work.

Not saying it can't be done or that it wouldn't be easy, but with so many teams in the area now, why would a field owner/team owner NOT want to go around to different fields if it means quality competition and quality practices? As long as the travel time is split up of course between the teams/fields. Again, hypothetical. The more I think about this and write about it, I can see field owners shooting this down. But if someone else can prove this would work, lets hear it.
Old 11-06-2009, 12:15 PM #10
p8ballz
Rhode Island Paintball

p8ballz is an Premier field/store owner
p8ballz has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
p8ballz has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by sumorai View Post
No, we could play anywhere we wanted. We did go to Fox 4 once for the AXBL reffing day, and we would have gone more if we'd been asked to. Most teams we practiced against seemed to want to come to Maynard, so that's where we ended up.
That would probably be your best bet Dave. I wouldn't go out of my way and put money into someone elses pocket if their not willing to extend that same favor to me.
Old 11-06-2009, 01:55 PM #11
sumorai
FRENCHIE

Annual Supporting Member
sumorai plays in the PSP
Quote:
Originally Posted by p8ballz View Post
That would probably be your best bet Dave. I wouldn't go out of my way and put money into someone elses pocket if their not willing to extend that same favor to me.
You quoted me and inferred that we were "not willing" to go to Fox 4. That is not at all true. We definitely would have gone there to practice them, but no one ever said "hey, come down and practice us at fox 4 this weekend".

Old 11-06-2009, 02:03 PM #12
amontoya

Quote:
You quoted me and inferred that we were "not willing" to go to Fox 4. That is not at all true. We definitely would have gone there to practice them, but no one ever said "hey, come down and practice us at fox 4 this weekend".

so why didnt you guys step up and be productive and say " hey do you guys wanna set something up for practice".... i mean given your record last season it might of helped... just sayin.
amontoya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 02:08 PM #13
sliver1489

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox4paintball View Post
well...Out of 4 sundays in a month I'm going to figure that two will be taken up with tournaments (1 playing, 1 reffing). So that leaves us with 2 weeks to practice. There should be enough teams (xball) out there that we should be able to fill up 2 or more fields with teams. The fact is you can't play everyone on a given day anyway. So - what if we held an AXBL practice at Field 1 and an MXL/foXball practice at Field 2? Or maybe we create "rotation" of teams between the practices, but either way you split the teams up and 1/2 go to one field and the other 1/2 go to another field - then switch for the second sunday of the month that you're doing practices on.
as good as that might sound on paper, I just don't think it would work. Certain teams would prefer to play and support certain fields over others for a number of reasons. Teams are going to spend their money wherever they want, bottom line. For that reason, I'd find it perfectly understandable if you kept 187 at fox4 to practice. Then you're not dishing out cash to other fields and seeing nothing in return, and the teams that stay loyal to your field would be able to play against 187 and get better.

Last edited by sliver1489 : 11-06-2009 at 02:15 PM.
sliver1489 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 02:11 PM #14
J. Stein

J. Stein is a Supporting Member
J. Stein is a founding member
 has been a member for 10 years
J. Stein plays in the PSP
J. Stein donated to help Peyton Trent
well, the cost of that sort of behavior could be exclusion from the rotations.

if everyone else is contributing to the common good...

Warzone Facebook
www.warzoneri.com

RIP Ronnie
J. Stein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 02:25 PM #15
sumorai
FRENCHIE

Annual Supporting Member
sumorai plays in the PSP
Quote:
Originally Posted by amontoya View Post
so why didnt you guys step up and be productive and say " hey do you guys wanna set something up for practice".... i mean given your record last season it might of helped... just sayin.
There's probably a million reasons I could give for that, but we obviously just didn't get some things right. The end result is what it is.

Old 11-06-2009, 02:28 PM #16
amontoya

"Where we practice and why"

This is actually a similiar conversation i was having with my father earlier this week. Back in '06 and '07 we primarily only practiced at PnL. Since it was just us pretty much we were able to drill and scrimmage twice a week, usually thrusdays and sundays, and it worked out pretty well considering we won the GPL in 06.. and same thing when we joined the monster team, we played and drilled twice a week, why cuz it was affordable, and we could have the field to ourselves. Since the closing of monster, and goodie not really having the airball field, its been a lot tougher for us. bouncing around from field to field, not being able to drill mid week, only scrimmaging.. because all you teams are so into "rotations".... fyi... rotations are not practice and are really a waste of money and time.. that is one of the main reasons why you did not really see us at maynard. You did see us at Fox 4 alot... why because dave was more than willing to accomadate us to the best he could, and we were able to run practices the way we were use to.. something we could not of done at maynard. ( forgive me if i am turning this into a maynard vs fox 4 thing).
I do feel that not having our own field like we use to really hurt us this year and the past couple of years... big deal if we seem to always make the cut in seven man at the nepl.. its never a 1st place podium.... so what if we went 5 -1 in the mxl.. we didnt win our conference... if you aint first place you aint ****.

Idk if this is really on topic or helpful at all but im bored at work and trying to kill a hour, so i decided to share our life story since everyone else is.
Old 11-06-2009, 02:35 PM #17
sumorai
FRENCHIE

Annual Supporting Member
sumorai plays in the PSP
No, you've got some good points, Twan.

I agree about rotations being essentially worthless. Sure, scrimmages are good, but I think drills are more important. That day when I came and practiced with you guys at Fox 4 was great.

Is there a way to do that effectively with multiple teams?

Old 11-06-2009, 02:39 PM #18
FU2N

Quote:
No, you've got some good points, Twan.

I agree about rotations being essentially worthless. Sure, scrimmages are good, but I think drills are more important. That day when I came and practiced with you guys at Fox 4 was great.

Is there a way to do that effectively with multiple teams?
yes everyone get along effectively and run the same drills with each other and dont ***** "oo i hate this kid or i hate this team" just practice.

instead of running a rotation or scrimmaging, do situationals or other drills with another team then you get a feel for what other teams are thinking in certain situations
FU2N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 02:47 PM #19
sumorai
FRENCHIE

Annual Supporting Member
sumorai plays in the PSP
Quote:
Originally Posted by FU2N View Post
yes everyone get along effectively and run the same drills with each other and dont ***** "oo i hate this kid or i hate this team" just practice.
Well, you'll never get rid of that entirely. I think it'd probably help to have a coach to be there and tell their guys to shut up and get work done or leave.

Old 11-06-2009, 02:49 PM #20
FU2N

Quote:
Well, you'll never get rid of that entirely. I think it'd probably help to have a coach to be there and tell their guys to shut up and get work done or leave.
agreed that would work too.
FU2N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 03:18 PM #21
amontoya

Gabe

im sure there is a way to run something like that with multiple teams, the bigger question is... is there someone out there with the patience and willingness to run it??... i know from first hand experience that when my dad is not at practice pushing us, it usually isnt a very effectve practice, sure its fun, but not very productive....

if i recall i believe mike henderson tried running similar practices to what we are talking about when he ran the villians and villians kids... i can remember him inviting anyone regardless of team or field association to come down and run drills with him... if it worked or not, well you'll just have to ask him.