Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 09-10-2010, 06:14 PM #1
iLovPieNCake

PMI Piranha Problem

I just acquired a PMI Piranha. A nice one at that. But I have a few problems, first the gun was downright filthy so I cleaned everything up and got it nice and spiffy. Then I replaced my hammer oring since the person put on a tank oring. Found out it requires Oil and not lube, so I put in a bunch of air tool oil and it works great, except for 1 thing. It will not recock and the velocity is still all over the place. I checked the usual people recommend, Hammer oring, sear and it was definitely cleaned. Velocity shouldn't be too low because I have it going into the asa, through the metal line(Don't know what they are called but people always replace them with macro lines) into the gun. Still having problems recocking and velocity is too low. Any suggestions ?
Old 09-10-2010, 07:02 PM #2
Magmoormaster
aka Maggy Moo

Sounds like your hammer spring is too weak. I'd replace that. It should raise velocity, and fix your recocking issue. Also, check the o-rings on the bolt. If any of them are contaminated with paint, replace. I had a similar problem with mine. If that doesn't do it, replace the cup seal.
Magmoormaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 07:04 PM #3
plushdragon

has been a member for 10 years
plushdragon helped look for balloons
help

there are two types of pmi bodys the older spyder bodies clones and the new 03 srs/evo body. the older fishes need 500 psi or more to recock the newer fishes like the evo need 350-500 psi the evo can run even lower with the right bolt and spring. with a blowback marker check the main spring lenth to see that the old owner did not cut it to short. also take a look on booss paintball products web page he still has the pmi repair and parts guild in pdf form on hs web page. when you download and look at the guild check to see that you have the vavle guild (small brass x) and vavle spring in right and the valve is in the right way. (there a top and bottom to spyder/pmi valves and if you put them in backwards they wont work or leak if you gas your marker up and listen to it. two other things to look at is if the bolt pin is pushed in to far and is dragging or the bolt is from dirt or paint. or the adjuster is missing parts or the adjuster is screwed in to far.
Old 09-10-2010, 07:30 PM #4
iLovPieNCake

Magmoormaster, if I have the orings I will try and replace the ones on the bolt. This might be the problem because when I got the bolt, it was covered in old crusty paint. After a wipe down they seemed to be in good condition.

plushdragon, Which way do I increase velocity on my back spring ?? I should have enough pressure going in, I am running a High pressure HPA tank directly into the gun(800 PSI). I have an old fishy but 800 psi should be enough. I still have the valve guide, will check to see if it is backwards(If you can get into more detail about this, it would be greatly appreciated). If I push the bolt pin to far into the hammer or the bolt ?(It might be to far into the bolt but the bolt pin still catches the hammer)
Old 09-10-2010, 07:47 PM #5
iLovPieNCake

Some picture(Sorry about the low quality, the flash doesn't work and I don't have my DSLR)

Old 09-10-2010, 07:58 PM #6
iLovPieNCake

Those oring explain the velocity problem, but why wont it cock ???
Old 09-10-2010, 08:51 PM #7
iLovPieNCake

Problem solved, I need a regulator. Once I started running out of air on my tank the gun started recocking normally. I feel stupid.
Old 09-10-2010, 10:01 PM #8
Magmoormaster
aka Maggy Moo

That's not the right answer.

Replace the o-rings on the bolt, they should be standard tank o-rings. It explains the cocking problem, trust me... I had the same problem with my Piranha. They're probably swollen and are causing a lot of drag on the bolt, so it doesn't hit the valve as hard.

As for the cup seal... It goes in however. Doesn't matter.
Old 09-10-2010, 10:39 PM #9
iLovPieNCake

Yeah, I replaced all the bolt orings.
Old 09-11-2010, 12:34 AM #10
Magmoormaster
aka Maggy Moo

Still not working? Ok, try changing the spring.
Old 09-11-2010, 06:45 AM #11
plushdragon

help

I was not talking about the valve pin and guild but about the valve in the body of the marker. sometimes people can get leaks there and put the valve in backwards when they put it back in. I think your problem is the main spring of the marker. looks like someone switched it out with a weaker spyder spring. the stock pmi main spring is blue. the hard one is red and weak one is white. on the adjuster going clockwizw goes up. out goes down.myself i can feel and see when im crushing or losing the spring on my newer fish.
Old 09-11-2010, 09:24 PM #12
iLovPieNCake

Yeah, my spring is blue. The valve is in correctly, is the valve supposed to have the bigger hole facing the hammer ? I have the bigger hole facing the valve spring.
Old 09-12-2010, 11:55 AM #13
plushdragon

help

the small end of the valve should be on the side that pints to the back of the marker and the larger end should point to the front of the marker.
http://www.directpaintball.com/Evil-...its-P2170.aspx
Old 11-23-2011, 10:42 PM #14
sl1980able

So what did you find out about the marker,I am working on a Piranha for someone. Have the same issue. Cleaned it all out not sure how old the o rings are but I do have some new tank o -rings if that is the correct size? It appears that this spring may have been painted(orange)? serial EMM 5470 was thinking about getting the Deluxe rebuild kit if I can't get it to recock with the o-rings I have maybe same problem.

Thank You for the info too.
sl1980able is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 11:06 PM #15
sl1980able

still doesn't recock itself replaced with new(empire tank O rings on bolt). So it looks like the main spring may be the issue. Also using extreme rage gun oil.
sl1980able is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 04:09 PM #16
plushdragon

help

the mian spring of a fish can use spyder main spring too. check to see if someone cut the main spring to short. on the hammer o-ring can not be a tank o-ring it wont seal. the old pmi hammer o-rings are milky white the newer ones are blue. the front valve pin and spring needs a small brass guild also the valve spring is cone shape the small end need to clip on the valve pin.also check the valve and valve screw it the valve is in backwards or screwed in to tight it will leak.
Old 11-25-2011, 03:30 PM #17
Beasty
Ball Hard Chill Easy

Beasty owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
Beasty is for the Gunfight
Beasty has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
Beasty is attending Decay of Nations VI
The hammer o-ring needs to be a BLUE HAMMER ORING, it will NOT work with a tank oring. You can find a kit with one of these fairly easy just google it.
Beasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 01:30 PM #18
VillageIdiut
BAT21

Main spring guaranteed. I've been through a few over the years, the symptoms you describe are exactly what happens when the springs weaken through age or extensive use!
The main spring controlls the velocity as well as the re-cocking. When released, the hammer hits the pin valve, most of the air goes up and fires the ball, the rest goes back to recheck the gun by pushing the hammer against the spring. The stronger the spring the more compressed air is needed to push back into place so more air is also sent up to shoot the ball, and the velocity is increased. If the spring is too week to begin with, then there will not be enough force on pin valve so not enough air is released to re-cock the gun, let alone get up to velocity.

Fluctuating velocity is usually o-rings... Change em all to be safe.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by VillageIdiut : 02-01-2012 at 01:33 PM.
VillageIdiut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 06:09 PM #19
dannyk

cool
dannyk is offline   Reply With Quote