██████████████████████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████
████████████████████████
Old 10-19-2009, 02:34 AM #2
Kellster
Pretentious Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Featherlite
Ingram seems to be devastating at the end of games no matter what formation he is running out of, at least based on what I have seen. Alabama just wears you down.

I think screen passes would be a better way to get Julio Jones the ball than having a running back try and throw it to him out of a wildcat set. He might get 1 on 1 coverage in the wildcat, but the window needs to be a lot bigger for a running back to be able to throw him the ball vs a quarterback. A guy being open for Peyton Manning is a lot different than a guy being open for Ronnie Brown.
I think you're misconstruing my point. I'm not saying that Alabama needs to utilize the Wildcat as a means of Julio getting the ball, I'm saying that Julio being in one on one coverage is a benefit of the Wildcat. Its an added benefit within the Wildcat package, but its not the reason Alabama should use more Wildcat looks, do you get what I'm saying? Alabama needs to utilize the Wildcat more just to maximize the fact that Alabama has the nation's best running back as well as the best backfield in the country with Ingram, Richardson and Upchurch. All three of those guys are going to play in the NFL and Ingram and Richardson will be first rounders. Upchurch would be an excellent NFL prospect and probably be the second string guy but his whole career has been plagued by injuries. Regardless, he'll still get on with a team. The point: we have excellent talent in the backfield, get the ball in their hands as much as possible and let their talent take over.

The thing is, Alabama has the potential to be the best team in the country. Alabama isn't right now, but it has the potential to be more complete in all phases of the game than any other team. Including Florida. That's why so many talking heads and commentators are so high on UA, right now.

However, Alabama's inconsistency on offense is what will be the difference between Alabama winning the national title or being beaten in the SECCG by Florida for the second straight season. It simply must be resolved. There's no reason for Alabama not to be a consistent 35 ppg kind of team - there's just too much talent not to be.

You have three clear first round picks in skill positions on this offense, right now - Julio Jones, Mark Ingram and Trent Richardson. Not many teams have that kind of talent in the backfield and at WR. Added to that, you have another RB in Roy Upchurch that's going to be in the league, you have an elite pass catching TE in Collin Peek that will be an NFL player and you have three other useful WR's that have performed well in this season in Marquis Maze, Darius Hanks and Mike McCoy.

That's a lot of talent.

However, Julio Jones is being criminally underutilized. He's just not touching the ball and with his ability to change the game in a heartbeat, that's unacceptable. Julio commands more double teams than any other wide out in the country, as a unanimous preseason All SEC pick, a Freshman All American, SEC Freshman of the Year and a highly lauded WR by NFL scouts and billed to have a breakout season this year, there's simply no reason for him to have so few catches.

If he's in single coverage, he needs to get the ball. The difference between AJ Green, Golden Tate, Michael and Dez Bryant and Julio Jones are not that they are much better players, but that their offensive coaching staffs do a much better job of getting them involved in the offense. Again, when Jimmy Clausen sees either Michael Floyd or Golden Tate in single coverage, he'll go to him, regardless of what the actual play was. Same with Joe Cox at UGA, he'll go to Green. Why doesn't McElroy do the same? Alabama has a lopsided advantage in the passing game because of the mismatch created by Julio Jones: if he's single covered and gets the ball, he'll burn you. If he's doubled covered, Alabama has other WR's that will take advantage. That's why preparing for Alabama's passing attack is so daunting for defensive coaches. The biggest difference for Alabama on offense this year is not the addition of Trent Richardson but in the fact that Alabama finally has wide receivers who can complement Julio Jones and keep defenses honest. UA had nobody aside from Julio at WR next year, this year they do.

First, McElroy needs to check and see if Julio is in single coverage, if he is, get him the ball. If he's not, that's when you go to other guys and take advantage of his mismatch. Punish them with Julio if he's in single coverage, punish them with his supporting cast if they decide to double team him. Again, Julio will draw more double coverage than any other receiver in the country - its been proven time and time again that teams that put one guy on him get burned - take advantage of double coverages when they're presented.

The reason I say that Julio needs to be used more is that he will get single coverages this season. LSU will attempt to do so with Patrick Peterson and Florida will as well with either Major Wright or Joe Haden. Take advantage. He got single coverage last year against both those teams and had huge days with over one hundred yards of offense against both teams. As good as Peterson and UF's guys are, they have proven they can't cover him alone and I don't know if any college DB can. He's just too much of a force.

That's why Julio needs to be involved more. He's too good to be run blocking all the time.

Alabama's offense has the potential to be a top five unit, if:

1.) McElroy develops more consistency
2.) McElroy develops chemistry with Julio Jones and Alabama becomes more creative in getting him the ball

And that's it. The running backs are playing great. Collin Peek has been great. The big question mark for Alabama on offense - and as a team - is whether they can be consistent in the passing game. The Tide clearly has the potential to be, its just a matter of getting it done. And if they do, if they get that kind of balance on offense and become more dynamic with their Wildcat looks, I'll tell you right now: no one will beat them this season.

Last edited by Kellster : 10-19-2009 at 02:41 AM.
Old 10-19-2009, 02:39 AM #3
madgoat
Troll_Extraordinaire

madgoat has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
i got last post on the last thread.

I'm surprised Julio isn't getting the ball much, especially if he is actually as good as you make him sound. Seems to me you either have a dumb qb or Julio isn't getting open.
Old 10-19-2009, 02:46 AM #4
Kellster
Pretentious Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by madgoat View Post
i got last post on the last thread.

I'm surprised Julio isn't getting the ball much, especially if he is actually as good as you make him sound. Seems to me you either have a dumb qb or Julio isn't getting open.
Mel Kiper said last year that he would be a first round pick if he were eligible. He was a true freshman last season. Having him in the passing game last season was like having an automatic "I win" button. He dominated UGA, won the game against LSU and gave Alabama a great chance to beat Florida, John Parker Wilson just couldn't get it done. Again, the guy's talent is unreal and a lot of guys like Mel Kiper, Todd McShay and Kirk Herbstreit, just to name a few, thought he would be the best receiver in the nation this season.

All you have to do is get him the ball. He's been double covered a lot this year and McElroy has developed chemistry with other WR's and not Julio. He got single coverage against South Carolina and Ole Miss for much of the game, McElroy and UA's offensive coaches just failed to take advantage.

Its not like his talent that got him so much hype last season is gone - just look at how well he played in the returning game in Javier Arenas' absence last night, we never even missed Javy. He was juking, stiff-arming, etc. Basically, he just showed the entire Crimson Tide fanbase what they have missed from him this season. Get him the ball.
Old 10-19-2009, 02:50 AM #5
paintballerguy13
Takin' care of bidness.

paintballerguy13 is a Supporting Member
paintballerguy13 is a founding member
 has been a member for 10 years
paintballerguy13 posts videos on PbNation
paintballerguy13 is one of the top 1000 posters on PbNation
You love Mel Kiper's junk almost as much as Sabans.

Old 10-19-2009, 02:53 AM #6
Kellster
Pretentious Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by paintballerguy13 View Post
You love Mel Kiper's junk almost as much as Sabans.
Kiper is as good an evaluator of talent as they come, he's respected even among NFL scouts. His opinion is legit. And why wouldn't I love Saban? He hasn't lost a game in the regular season since 2007. Any fan would if he was their team's coach.
Old 10-19-2009, 02:57 AM #7
Kellster
Pretentious Hipster

Also, why is this "NCAA Football 2010?" Because of the game? Its 2009.
Old 10-19-2009, 03:01 AM #8
Kolder
The Commish

Annual Supporting Member
Kolder is a Mega Moderator
Kolder is a Supporting Member
Kolder is one of the top 100 posters on PbNation
Kolder is Immortal
You gotta sell the sizzle 2009 is old news

██████████████████████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████
████████████████████████
Old 10-19-2009, 07:25 AM #9
tonybhall
Mag Daddy

Annual Supporting Member
tonybhall is a Moderator
tonybhall is BST Trusted
tonybhall is a Paintball photographer
tonybhall donated to help Peyton Trent
tonybhall supports Team VICIOUS
tonybhall supports our troops
Quote:
Originally Posted by williewonka
Any of you guys know what happened with the USFL? It was before my day, all I know is my neighbor played for the Jacksonville Bulls in '85.
I was a huge fan of the USFL. It was like pro ball with a college flair. The USFL used a regional draft. So, your local team had a lot of talent from the colleges in your area. The Birmingham Stallions had a lot of Auburn and Alabama stars. I thought that was a really good idea. Not all of your players were local, but a lot of them were.

Anyway, when the USFL first started, they played during the NFLs off season. They did really well for a few years. And they where not a league of scrubs. They have great players (Steve Young, Hershial Walker, Joe Cribbs, ect....) and great coaches (Steve Spurrier). The owner of the New Jersey Generals (Donald Trump) wanted to force the NFL to merge with the USFL like the AFL did. He didn't really care about the USFL and figured if he pushed it, the NFL would take a few USFL teams and as long as his was one of them, he didn't care about the rest.

So, he pushed the league to move to playing at the same time of the year as the NFL. The problem was TV contracts. Back then there were only a few TV stations and ALL of them carried NFL games. The NFL told all the stations that if you carry the USFL during the NFL season, we'll drop you. This tactic is Illegal BTW.

So, none of the stations would sign a TV deal with the USFL. This was a death blow to the USFL as TV is where the money is at. So, the USFL sued the NFL for violation of Anti Trust laws. The USFL won a HUGE jury judgment but the Judge basically overruled the jury and reduced the judgment to $10.

So, in summary, the USFL got screw every which way. They got screwed by some of their own owners who just wanted in the NFL, they got screwed by the networks, they got screwed by the NFL and they got screwed by the judge that heard their case. It sucked because the USFL was the best alternative ever to the NFL.

I'm not saying that stupidity should be punishable by death. But I do think we should remove all the warning labels and let the problem take care of itself.
Old 10-19-2009, 07:40 AM #10
WillyW0nka
REGISTERED SEXY OFFENDER

WillyW0nka is a Supporting Member
WillyW0nka plays in the PSP
WillyW0nka supports our troops
WillyW0nka plays in the APPA D4 division
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonybhall View Post
I was a huge fan of the USFL. It was like pro ball with a college flair. The USFL used a regional draft. So, your local team had a lot of talent from the colleges in your area. The Birmingham Stallions had a lot of Auburn and Alabama stars. I thought that was a really good idea. Not all of your players were local, but a lot of them were.

Anyway, when the USFL first started, they played during the NFLs off season. They did really well for a few years. And they where not a league of scrubs. They have great players (Steve Young, Hershial Walker, Joe Cribbs, ect....) and great coaches (Steve Spurrier). The owner of the New Jersey Generals (Donald Trump) wanted to force the NFL to merge with the USFL like the AFL did. He didn't really care about the USFL and figured if he pushed it, the NFL would take a few USFL teams and as long as his was one of them, he didn't care about the rest.

So, he pushed the league to move to playing at the same time of the year as the NFL. The problem was TV contracts. Back then there were only a few TV stations and ALL of them carried NFL games. The NFL told all the stations that if you carry the USFL during the NFL season, we'll drop you. This tactic is Illegal BTW.

So, none of the stations would sign a TV deal with the USFL. This was a death blow to the USFL as TV is where the money is at. So, the USFL sued the NFL for violation of Anti Trust laws. The USFL won a HUGE jury judgment but the Judge basically overruled the jury and reduced the judgment to $10.

So, in summary, the USFL got screw every which way. They got screwed by some of their own owners who just wanted in the NFL, they got screwed by the networks, they got screwed by the NFL and they got screwed by the judge that heard their case. It sucked because the USFL was the best alternative ever to the NFL.
Damn, that's sad. It's a shame that they had to go out that way. It would have been awesome having football in the off-season of the NFL, and it certainly would have been nice to have a true "home team". Now your "home team" can have players from everywhere else in the country except your city

Figures Donald Trump would have been the one to ruin it for everyone
Old 10-19-2009, 07:40 AM #11
Tippmann KiD213
Lines in my face

Annual Supporting Member
Go Gators!

I think it's better that were outta the spotlight just a little bit that way we can work on our game more and not our fame more.

Picture taken during Gator Growl when the Jabbawockeez performed.

Sorta blurry.

Last edited by Tippmann KiD213 : 10-19-2009 at 07:42 AM.
Old 10-19-2009, 08:42 AM #12
.brad.

.brad. is a Paintball photographer
.brad. helped look for balloons
goin to this **** hole this weekend
Old 10-19-2009, 08:51 AM #13
tonybhall
Mag Daddy

Annual Supporting Member
tonybhall is a Moderator
tonybhall is BST Trusted
tonybhall is a Paintball photographer
tonybhall donated to help Peyton Trent
tonybhall supports Team VICIOUS
tonybhall supports our troops
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillyW0nka View Post
Damn, that's sad. It's a shame that they had to go out that way. It would have been awesome having football in the off-season of the NFL, and it certainly would have been nice to have a true "home team". Now your "home team" can have players from everywhere else in the country except your city

Figures Donald Trump would have been the one to ruin it for everyone
It's funny that you asked about this. ESPN is doing a documentary this week on it. Its a series called 30/30. It's on Tuesday night. You should try and catch it. Should be really interesting. I hope they have lots of game footage. It was really good football.

I'm not saying that stupidity should be punishable by death. But I do think we should remove all the warning labels and let the problem take care of itself.
Old 10-19-2009, 09:09 AM #14
EvilPopTart

Annual Supporting Member
EvilPopTart is a Moderator
EvilPopTart is a Supporting Member
EvilPopTart is BST Trusted
EvilPopTart is playing at Living Legends VII
EvilPopTart is Boss
back to reality... school sucks.
Old 10-19-2009, 09:28 AM #15
tchs_drummer06
1+1+1=2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tippmann KiD213 View Post
Go Gators!
I think it's better that were outta the spotlight just a little bit that way we can work on our game more and not our fame more.
[IMG]http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j263/audioman213/065b0243.jpg[IMG]
Picture taken during Gator Growl when the Jabbawockeez performed.
Sorta blurry.
Seriously, no one cares.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilPopTart View Post
Same
Old 10-19-2009, 09:48 AM #16
IoNxRoCkEr
Voice of the Soul

Annual Supporting Member
IoNxRoCkEr is one of the top 500 posters on PbNation
IoNxRoCkEr is Legendary
Just bombed the **** out of an econ exam.
Old 10-19-2009, 09:55 AM #17
linty

linty owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
linty is an NCPA player
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilPopTart View Post
I must have eaten some raw food, cuz this morning I woke up at 3am just sick from food poisoning throwing up and such with a speech to give at 7:30. It was so miserable. **** School.

GEARBAG SALE(PRO JERSEY,HK GEAR ETC)
Old 10-19-2009, 09:56 AM #18
EvilPopTart

Annual Supporting Member
EvilPopTart is a Moderator
EvilPopTart is a Supporting Member
EvilPopTart is BST Trusted
EvilPopTart is playing at Living Legends VII
EvilPopTart is Boss
anyone seen the miller lite commercial that starts out like one of those eharmony.com ads? the guys like i have discriminating tastes and I never found the one. And the girl is like "until now right" and he says "until now" and then holds up a miller lite?
Old 10-19-2009, 10:03 AM #19
stadiumjump

stadiumjump is playing at Living Legends III
stadiumjump owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
stadiumjump supports Team VICIOUS
yes
Old 10-19-2009, 10:04 AM #20
paintballerguy13
Takin' care of bidness.

paintballerguy13 is a Supporting Member
paintballerguy13 is a founding member
paintballerguy13 posts videos on PbNation
paintballerguy13 is one of the top 1000 posters on PbNation
So USM instituted a text messaging program where fans can text the event security people if someone in their section is being unruly or disruptive. Not a terrible idea because we all know that their ARE instances where someone needs to be removed from the stadium.

However, this past weekend, someone decided they didn't like the fans in front of them standing and cheering WHILE WE WERE ON DEFENSE, so local police and security came and tried to escort these people out of the stadium.

What a ****ing joke. Just because old decrepit lazy mother ****er doesn't want to stand, and instead wants to watch a live football game like it's on TV, our fans are being removed from the stadium.

I can't wait until these old ****s die off and my generation of fans can take their seats. The Rock would be a much louder place.

Old 10-19-2009, 10:11 AM #21
.brad.

.brad. is a Paintball photographer
.brad. helped look for balloons
^ that sounds like a terrible idea
Closed Thread