Community Focus

Old 10-19-2009, 10:59 PM #1
zerokai
Palm Beach Vipers

zerokai is a Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
zerokai plays in the PSP
Arrow Rules and format proposal - input welcomed

Knowing that there will always be some need for some differences between pro/semipro and divisonal I wanted to get some thougths on these ideas. Try and be constructive and keep the flaming to a minimum if we can.

Game format with timed penalties for pro and semipro, and 1for1 and 2for1 in divisional would not change.

Pro and semipro game would be 15 minutes. Divisional games would be 12 minutes. Dont ask why, that just seems to be a couple magic numbers that most people dont find terribly offensive, and doesnt trash the divisional scheduling.

Do away with race to points. It should be a race to win. Most points at the end of time wins the game. In the interest of satisfying the 'save the paint' crowd, instate a mercy rule at +5. Meaning that at any point in the game you are down by more than 5 points the match is over. OT is 5 minutes, first point wins. No winner at the end of OT the game is a tie. The divisional teams are spending a ton of money to play to 4 or 5, I dont feel that is a value for their money. (insert obligatory 14yr old online paintball expert arguement of 'get better and play more' here)

3 points for a regular time win, 2 points for an OT win, 1 point for a tie, 0 points for any loss. (this part I suck at so any better ideas, I'm all eyes/ears)

One ROF across the board.. maybe 12pbs and be done with it. I still do not see any legitimate reason to have varied rates of fire from pro/semi to divisional. Only makes things more difficult than they need to be.

There are a ton of other things that should be changed in an effort to get to a single set of rules and standards, I understand we cant just flip a switch and fix it all at once, maybe these few changes will help get us in that direction eventually.

Ken
PBV

www.palmbeachvipers.com
www.EmpirePaintballl.com
zerokai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 10-19-2009, 11:08 PM #2
eternalmergy
The Hindu Hammer

eternalmergy is a Paintball photographer
eternalmergy plays in the PSP
eternalmergy donated to help Peyton Trent
eternalmergy posts videos on PbNation
eternalmergy is one of the top 100 posters on PbNation
eternalmergy is Boss
i agree with what your saying. i miss the old format of xball where you play till game is over.

Penalties were a great thing, it added spice to the game.

Im very comfortable with 10bps, i thinkit should be 10 across the board.

Central Florida Paintball

>Redline Media<
eternalmergy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 11:12 PM #3
zerokai
Palm Beach Vipers

zerokai plays in the PSP
Quote:
Originally Posted by eternalmergy View Post
Im very comfortable with 10bps, i thinkit should be 10 across the board.
But your Hindu.. should your opinion really count? Really? <3

Ken
PBV

www.palmbeachvipers.com
www.EmpirePaintballl.com
Old 10-19-2009, 11:12 PM #4
[coolpbkid]
VWC

[coolpbkid] plays in the PSP
[coolpbkid] plays in the APPA D3 division
[coolpbkid] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 11:16 PM #5
TrOjAn MaN665
Shazbot

TrOjAn MaN665 plays in the PSP
TrOjAn MaN665 plays in the APPA D4 division
Eh i still like the race. 5 is way too short i would say 7-8??
Old 10-19-2009, 11:25 PM #6
Cajone
half of the black attack.

I agree with all your suggestions completely. Bring it back to "Race to Win", hell you could even make it 10 min matches, just get rid of the "Race to X" format. OT format and 'mercy rule' sound like a good idea as well.

12 bps still requires some sort of skill as the arguments with 10.5, so I would like that as well. It would make practicing against pros and Semi-Pros a lot easier on divisional teams.
Cajone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 11:26 PM #7
rikkter
nVoke Media

rikkter is a founding member
rikkter is a Paintball photographer
rikkter donated to help Peyton Trent
I like these ideas.

esp. the no 'race-to'
example, say if pro was race to 6, then in the hurricanes-damage game at cup, hurricanes would of won at 6-1, but damage came back to win 7-6, with time left. if it wasn't a 'race-to' format, hurricanes would of had a chance to come back and win

it adds to the game i think, makes things more interesting, and possibility of giving people more playing time

rikkter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 11:35 PM #8
protopaintballer
.happy.

protopaintballer is a Supporting Member
protopaintballer is a Paintball photographer
protopaintballer plays in the PSP
protopaintballer is Legendary
they should go back to the format the 2008 season was.
15 was fast, but 13 bps was perfect though not too slow but just the right speed.
bring back mini x's would be nice but i can deal with out.
protopaintballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 11:36 PM #9
Konflict87

i am hugely in favor of doing away with the race in the lower divisions. If im going to spend $2400 or whatever is jsut to play id like to have a better chance to come back from a bad start. which my team tends to do. lol
Konflict87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 11:40 PM #10
zerokai
Palm Beach Vipers

zerokai plays in the PSP
Quote:
Originally Posted by protopaintballer View Post
bring back mini x's would be nice but i can deal with out.
Yikes... let's not get all in a panic here. The mini x was long forgotten for a reason. : )

Ken
PBV

www.palmbeachvipers.com
www.EmpirePaintballl.com
Old 10-19-2009, 11:43 PM #11
bobsbarricades
Always in your way =)

bobsbarricades plays in the APPA D5 division
I agree with all of your ideas Ken. I'm fuzzy on what you mean by the 3 pts for reg time win, 2 for ot, etc.. Is that for series scoring?

I want to voice my distaste for the race-to-x format as well. Although it was truly amazing watching Legion destroy AA in 5:10... (teeheehee) I think the format is a bad way to help teams save money.

I also, from a spectator standpoint, loved watching the nxl matches with timed halves. I felt that was more of spectator sport and to bring in more money we need this sport to appeal to spectators as much as possible.
Old 10-19-2009, 11:45 PM #12
splake66

splake66 plays in the PSP
splake66 plays in the APPA D4 division
i haven't seen a laydown can on a psp layout since like 06
splake66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 11:46 PM #13
protopaintballer
.happy.

protopaintballer is a Supporting Member
protopaintballer is a Paintball photographer
protopaintballer plays in the PSP
protopaintballer is Legendary
i can dream can i not?
what about the laydown cans, those were umm "fun".

but real talk, id like to see some more uk refs they are really good refs and penalty boxes should be brought back, the penalties with time kept the game in motion better then the 1for1s and what not.
protopaintballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 11:47 PM #14
Barber
Moose Krew.

Barber plays in the PSP
Barber is an NCPA player
Barber plays in the APPA D4 division
I agree fully with bringing back unlimited scoring.
Old 10-19-2009, 11:51 PM #15
zerokai
Palm Beach Vipers

zerokai plays in the PSP
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsbarricades View Post
I agree with all of your ideas Ken. I'm fuzzy on what you mean by the 3 pts for reg time win, 2 for ot, etc.. Is that for series scoring?
This applies to advancement out of prelims and beyond.

Ken
PBV

www.palmbeachvipers.com
www.EmpirePaintballl.com
Old 10-19-2009, 11:59 PM #16
LIL-PHILL

sounds like my dream league
Georgia State University-NCPA
LIL-PHILL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 12:00 AM #17
DI*killa

DI*killa is a Professional paintball player
DI*killa plays in the PSP
DI*killa donated to help Peyton Trent
DI*killa is an NCPA player
DI*killa plays in the APPA Pro division
bringing penalties back is not smart on time alone, not to mention man power.

and laydown cans let many many paintball bounce outside the netting. also not a good idea since 06 haha.

i do like the timed clock no race to idea. maybe a mercy rule at 5 for divisional and 7 for SP, pro?

either way, psp is making the right moves!

CHATTANOOGA CEP
Robbie Goldsmith #14
DYE - KEE
DI*killa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 12:03 AM #18
b-roddd

b-roddd donated to help Peyton Trent
ill agree on the bps change to 12. its a happy medium between 08's 13 (which i thought was perfect) and the un reasonable 10 that it was changed to this past season.
as for the advancing point systems i still like margin and think it forces teams to put forth that extra effort. rather than "a win is a win"
also like the idea of play till the clock stops. buttt the mercy rule. well you know me ken ill never agree to such a thing.
RAIDEN LONG SLEEVES FOR SALE!!
http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.php?t=3141493
b-roddd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 12:07 AM #19
bobsbarricades
Always in your way =)

bobsbarricades plays in the APPA D5 division
Oh, der =P in that case the science of seeding has ever been elusive to me...
Old 10-20-2009, 12:08 AM #20
P8ntballa1514

P8ntballa1514 plays in the PSP
P8ntballa1514 plays in the APPA D3 division
P8ntballa1514 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
P8ntballa1514 has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
^^^ I think if you were to do it where there is no race and you play until time runs out then you would have to do it by "a win is a win" that way if there is a team that goes 2-2 but say there margin is like +5 because they just smashed one of the teams they played and then there is a team that goes 3-1 but their margin is +4 because their games were closer and they dont advance because even though they won more they didnt score more point that would not be fair. I dont know if that makes to much sense but im pretty sure it can happen
Camp Pendleton Paintball Park
KEE Action Sports
Valken

www.facebook.com/810TL
P8ntballa1514 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 12:09 AM #21
b4d_455
Hai.

b4d_455 plays in the PSP
The race to win at the games end was always the better format in my opinion. It allows time for either team to make up for any mistakes and gives both teams the ability to come back from any bad points. If the better team is up in points, it is safe to assume that the better team will remain in the positive and win the match. In the race to x points, if a team (even the worst team between the 2) gets up by 2 points, the match is practically over; especially if a penalty is assessed. A match should not be so heavily swayed by a single penalty or mistake on either teams part. The mercy rule is a great idea, and should be implemented if the race to x points is eliminated.

as far as the ROF, it should be standard across the board from d5 to pro. 15 was too fast, so let's say we drop it to 10.5 for everyone. Although it sounds like a huge difference, the probability of laning someone at 10.5 compared to 15 is not affected very much. The amount of time that there is a gap between paintballs fired at 15bps is about .066 seconds (assuming 300fps), while the gap between paintballs at 10.5 is about .095 seconds. The average adult male can run about 15mph, this equates to a speed of about 1 ft per .170 seconds. The profile (width) of a player in gear and running is about 2.5-3 ft.; The time it would take for a mass of that size to get through a lane with a gap time of only .095 seconds is already one-sided to begin with. The probability of making it through with an increased gap time of only .029 seconds is very minutely better than it would have been at 15bps.

the economics side of switching to 10.5: shooting a continuous stream of paint at 15bps for 1 minute, you will go through 900 paintballs. Shooting the same stream of paint at 10.5bps, you will go through 630 paintballs. This is an almost 1/3rd drop in the amount of paint shot. Given that the game play will still go the same as at 15, a team should theoretically shoot 1/3rd less paint, which equals a lot in terms of dollars saved per event.

Although the amount of paint shot/purchased may balance out with an increased time limit, when a kid is paying so much money to play an event, they should have the opportunity to play as much as possible for their investment.
b4d_455 is offline   Reply With Quote