PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Closed Thread

Old 10-19-2009, 12:04 AM #1
fijitu1

2009 Impulse broken after only 3 plays

So here's my rap on the Smart Parts 2009 Impulse. I've owned the marker now since about early/mid august of this year and have had nothing but problems since day one. When I first received the marker, I found the barrel insert missing from the box, rendering the entire marker not even playable from the first day. If that wasn't bad enough the right eye cover was jammed shut, the allen key to adjust the trigger was not included, and the screws for the drop rail weren't included(I'm one of those guys with the old myth reg). I knew that the gun being new and all, that there would be some minor hiccups in production. So I called SP the following week to see if I could get the parts I needed. The customer service I received was first class and the rep. was very kind and understanding. When I did receive my parts though they did not include either allen key or the screws which I desperately needed. I know this rant is getting quite long but hang on for this next part.

Now with the gun in playable condition, I've played with it a total of three times. The third being just yesterday at reball. Here are some pics of the destruction that occured.

Feedneck

Bolt

Breech

As you can see from the above pictures the feedneck/breech isn't threaded but held in by two screws(as far as i can tell). The bolt also has two parallel and rather deep scars running along the sides. Before these things happened I had noticed that feedneck was beginning to become loose/wobbly, I didn't pay much attention and just applied some locktite. It helped for awhile but that's when things became worse. While I was playing I started have bolt stick and when I went to reload my hopper feedneck/hopper flew clean off from opening the lid. On closer inspection i found the cuts on the bolt and the detents were shot clean out.

I never intended for this thread to turn people off from buying the impulse. It is a fantastic gun from what use I got out of it. The reason I made this thread was to hopefully get the attention of the Smart Parts manufacture representative and point out some quality issues. Not to mention they'll probably think I'm pulling a fast one on them and not honor the warranty because of how the damage looks. I hope the rep. understands the frustration/disappointment from my view point and does not take offensive in me creating this thread.

PS: Still waiting on those drop rail screws I reordered about a month ago

PPS: I know I could just buy the allen key but it is proving difficult to find because of it's small size.

PPPS: Filling out my warranty card right now
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 10-19-2009, 12:33 AM #2
Architects
super stupid wild

Architects donated to help Peyton Trent
Architects owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Architects supports Team VICIOUS
Stupid design on there part. Id love to know what SP was thinking on this? Any reps care to chime in

Last edited by Architects : 10-19-2009 at 01:49 AM.
Old 10-19-2009, 01:13 AM #3
tranman

has been a member for 10 years
tranman owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
tranman owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
tranman owns a Planet Eclipse GSL
I had an impulse and it was a great shooting marker, but I did have thoughts about the durability of it. I have sold it and waiting for a clone...hope i made the right choice.
Old 10-19-2009, 12:06 PM #4
Reaper (ACI)
We're Weird

Reaper (ACI) works for a Paintball manufacturer
Reaper (ACI) donated to help Peyton Trent
Reaper (ACI) is for the Gunfight
Reaper (ACI) is for the Gunfight
Looks like the "Set Screws" that lock the feedneck in place had been tampered with, I.e. screwed in tighter thus breaking the weld that actually holds the feedneck in place. That also crushed the feedneck a bit, which resulted in the scarring on the bolt itself.

Not saying it was your fault, but it says specifically in the manual that you are not to tighten the "Set Screws" yourself, and that those should only be touched by a tech in the factory.

Somebody tightened those screws, and the rest is the result.

Send it in, they'll fix it and have it back in no time.
www.deadboxsports.com

I have LEGO Paintballer Mini Figs
Old 10-19-2009, 01:01 PM #5
steve010101
orange is way to freedom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper (ACI) View Post
Looks like the "Set Screws" that lock the feedneck in place had been tampered with, I.e. screwed in tighter thus breaking the weld that actually holds the feedneck in place. That also crushed the feedneck a bit, which resulted in the scarring on the bolt itself.

Not saying it was your fault, but it says specifically in the manual that you are not to tighten the "Set Screws" yourself, and that those should only be touched by a tech in the factory.

Somebody tightened those screws, and the rest is the result.

Send it in, they'll fix it and have it back in no time.
Dot

just call up smartparts and they will take care of you

IBANEZ S520EX GUITAR
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
GET EXCITED
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Old 10-19-2009, 01:21 PM #6
fijitu1

I can assure you that no tampering was done. The only thing I have change on the gun is the board settings, hpr/lpr, and replacing the faulty hinge on the right eye cover. Btw I live Canada, so having something fixed in no time is likely to take almost a month. I'm going to send it in of course.

Last edited by fijitu1 : 10-19-2009 at 01:26 PM.
Old 10-19-2009, 01:54 PM #7
ktizzle
PLAYAH8RZ.COM

ktizzle plays in the PSP
ktizzle donated to help Peyton Trent
ktizzle owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
ktizzle supports DLX Technology
I'm not quite sure why they didn't mill the top tube with the feedneck. it's not like it would have cost them that much more especially since it's NOT a full body like the ego, alien, creed, rx, etc. since they two tubes are separated pieces they actually save more aluminium. another 1/2 inch couldn't have made it work all the issues and bad reviews this gun is now getting because of it. I mean look at the Nano50. I guarantee that that gun was milled in the same exact SP warehouse as the Imp and you can tell that the feed neck is milled from solid block. I really hope that SP makes a new top tube changing the feed neck or I'll be selling my Imp before the value drops even more than it has.
Old 10-19-2009, 03:21 PM #8
msonic
one case one kill

Annual Supporting Member
msonic is a Mega Moderator
msonic is a Supporting Member
msonic is BST Legit
msonic donated to help Peyton Trent
msonic is one of the top 25 posters on PbNation
msonic is Immortal
Isn't badlands an authorized service center in Canada?
Old 10-20-2009, 06:15 AM #9
chynzexguy

Such a shame......

This gun had so much potential in what it had to offer. It feels like Smart Parts rushed the release of this gun and didn't bother working out the kinks.

Known 09 Impulse problems include:
-Valve leak
-Poorly designed feedneck
-Missing freak inserts
-Jammed eye covers

I wanted one so bad
Old 10-20-2009, 11:22 AM #10
Architects
super stupid wild

all these issues have been addressed.
Old 10-20-2009, 04:37 PM #11
jk178206

jk178206 owns a Planet Eclipse CSL
jk178206 owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
jk178206 supports Team VICIOUS
jk178206 has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
Honestly I'd still go ahead and get one, I'm absolutely in love with mine. Played with it about 6 or 7 times, had a few issues, but it was all easily fixed, and smart parts got me my parts within 3 days. The problems I've experienced are what I expected from a new gun, I plan on keeping this one for awhile.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chynzexguy View Post
Such a shame......

This gun had so much potential in what it had to offer. It feels like Smart Parts rushed the release of this gun and didn't bother working out the kinks.

Known 09 Impulse problems include:
-Valve leak
-Poorly designed feedneck
-Missing freak inserts
-Jammed eye covers

I wanted one so bad
Old 10-20-2009, 04:47 PM #12
msonic
one case one kill

Annual Supporting Member
msonic is BST Legit
msonic is Immortal
It has been stated before:

The First Generation of a Marker Platform is almost guaranteed to have some issues, whether they are minor or major.

The Second Generation is usually a solid platform.

I would have no worries about picking up a second gen/revised first gen 09 Imp now.

Smart Parts has done well in repairing markers sent in to them.
Old 10-20-2009, 05:25 PM #13
Gauner

Does anybody know, if the feedneck of the latest generation is still stamped? I had a lot of trouble with the feedneck of my shocker nxt and i dont want to go through the same sh**!

I would be very happy about a "one body" solution!
Old 10-20-2009, 06:12 PM #14
chynzexguy

Don't get me wrong, I love smart parts. I've owned most of the guns that they've made (check sig).

I agree they have top notch customer service, but I think the launch of the 09 impulse could have gone so much smoother if they didn't rush it.
Old 10-20-2009, 06:57 PM #15
ktizzle
PLAYAH8RZ.COM

ktizzle plays in the PSP
I just got my top tube back yesterday and put it back together. I have a tourney this weekend so we'll see how it holds up. I'm not quite sure what SP has do differently to address the feedneck issue. personally I would suggest them re-milling the top tube altogether to be out of solid block versus pressed in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Architects View Post
all these issues have been addressed.
I never had eye cover issues but did have valve issues and that was fixed quick fast in a hurry. haven't had the eye cover issues but I did have an issue with the bottom reg oring. between the reg and the frame. they sent me a new oring which fixed the leaking but they need to put a FULL set of replacement orings in the packaging.
I think the gun is great and would like to keep it. I'm just worried about the longevity of the feedneck and would like to see some upgrades to some things which I think would massively increase performance.

a friend got the NT and I shot it for a day. WAS NOT impressed. it's light, snappy, very little/no kick but the accuracy was terrible! same paint and same bore shooting out of my shocker was way more accurate. with that said new gun new tech doesn't always = better.
Old 10-20-2009, 09:12 PM #16
straptrams91
PRESIDENT

Annual Supporting Member
straptrams91 plays in the PSP
straptrams91 is playing at Living Legends V
straptrams91 is playing at Living Legends VI
straptrams91 supports Team VICIOUS
straptrams91 is an NCPA player
straptrams91 is Legendary
not sure if they will release a new .68 cal. model top tube but the .50 cal at cup had a threaded feedneck that looked very sturdy.
Old 10-20-2009, 11:59 PM #17
Architects
super stupid wild

oh wow so the .50 is threaded. hmmmm
Old 10-21-2009, 01:13 AM #18
Livewire12

The reason I got rid of my Impulse was the feedneck design. It was an awesome performing gun when it worked and if SP ever fixes all of the issues with the Impulse I would buy a new one.
Old 10-21-2009, 12:24 PM #19
ktizzle
PLAYAH8RZ.COM

ktizzle plays in the PSP
well I expect that if they want to continue to sell that gun as one of their high end markers they would need to address the feedneck issue
Old 03-03-2010, 10:55 PM #20
qalax13

qalax13 supports Sherwood Forest
qalax13 plays in the APPA D5 division
qalax13 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
ever get it fixed my feedneck is starting to get loose
Old 03-04-2010, 04:58 AM #21
msonic
one case one kill

Annual Supporting Member
msonic is BST Legit
msonic is Immortal
Revive dead threads much? The guy hasn't been online since october 2009 as well...

http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.p...0#post64992030
Closed Thread