Find fields & stores near you!
Find fields and stores
Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 01-12-2012, 04:16 AM #64
phant0m0
WC Remedy #6
 
phant0m0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Southern Ca
Annual Supporting Member
phant0m0 is BST Trusted
phant0m0 plays in the PSP
phant0m0 owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
phant0m0 owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
phant0m0 plays in the APPA D4 division
phant0m0 has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
I'd like to add to this thread with a few talking points.

A few months back a friend of mine asked a large section of our friend network to come to his b-day party. This was a paintball war he called it. SO of the 20 people there, 3 had their own equipment. The rest all got .50 Spyder rentals. Birthday boys idea. This jackass owns a Tippman 98 that he was going to use on our buddies. When he went to chrono something happened, and his gun failed- he had to use the .50 cal Spyder rental. So the 3 guys i mentioned with their own equipment are now shooting .68. I was one of them. If i was hit all day by a .50 i wouldn't know it. l imagined it would feel the same. it does not, in no way feel anything like a.68. Needless to say of the 8 hours we played, the .68's destroyed, the .50 players. every person knew when they got got hit by a .68 and they complained. Keep in mind the renters here are new and only here for a party. When the day was over everyone wanted to come back...with their own gear! Now we have monthly rec games at the same field with some of these same folks, they all bought .68. but all of them Spyders.

I travel a lot and get to see lots of different fields with different attitudes. Oklahoma City, nicest friendliest bunch of ballers out there. Salt Lake City, self absorbed speed-ball players, no help, no "nice shot". New folks and renters getting creamed. Southern California, might as well be the crusades all over again. everyone is a Knights Templar and they all have a god (sponsor) they want you to pray to. Chicago, do your own thing, "nice shot" talk, but will murder you in your seat if you get a jam. Basically it is different everywhere. If i had to sum it up. Central US nice people, east coast, watch your back, west coast, be glad they didn't have you paying them to stop shooting you. It is a culture thing.

Now for My wife. She has a G4. she recently switched from an 07 sonix. She wanted a little more umph in her game. She only plays rec. she says speed-ball is too prissy. Too many guys flexing their *ego's. I have seen her trounce a few ego's with her old sonix, she knows what she is doing. So when she has an opinion on the game, i listen to it. I think speed-ball is what it is. Speed + paintball. You play speed-ball to BLOW STUFF UP. You want laser beams like contra. Rec-ball is more her style. She likes playing the Mound, or the old crate. It's more of a stress reliever when she can burn a guy out of his window. Then she drinks a Gatorade and gets back out there. that is what i think paintball should be. Fun and victory then Gatorade then Fun and defeat. not GO GO GO GO GO GO DORITO GO GO SNAKE GO GO GO WHISTLE. that isn't paintball, that's SEX. My opinion.

The best part of the field we play at (yep Cali) is that the rec beginners are limited to NO AUTO, NO FORCE FEED HOPPER, NO ELECTRO unless it is set to 2bps and no WALKING THE TRIGGER. the intermediate and advanced is no holds barred. We play intermediate rec.

Best Kill the other team story.
So this church group came to our field. They had never played before. a couple of the members were in their 60's. they were on the other team for this game in particular. why they didn't have a private party goes beyond me. We had on this day brought a couple of scrubby kids we know down to the field and loaned them some of our old spyder 03 Xtras. They wanted to hang with us with all day, so we got out our old Reliable Sonix and my 09 CP Spyder that i travel with, and jumped in the beginner group. so i see this church group and I'm thinking "hmmm, not good". As my team was taking a walk to the other side of the field we passed a just ending intermediate game. A couple of them jumped in the beginner group and hid in the back. Again i was like "seriously"? SO, we are waiting to go, when all of a sudden the ref screams go go! whistle blows, now you have 20+ people running along the same side of the field to the starting area of the other team and the church group. My wife and our guests went the other way. We get to the other teams starting gate to find the intermediate guys and a mix of beginners in the starting gate doorway of the other team just Pelting these poor people. literally they (church group) left the field defeated. they threw their gear on the ground and got management. Apparently the other ref didn't sound the GO GO to the church team they never got a chance to leave the starting room.
keep in mind that what the starting areas are, they are small rooms that exit out a doorway to the field. They (Church Group)were trapped by our team who were crowding the doorway shooting these people at -5 feet with there electros + the beginners who joined in. We stood there in disbelief. the kicker here is the church group left. nobody was sent home and everything went back to business as usual.

This is what is killing the sport. Intermediates jumping into beginner games, riling them up and starting crap like this. It isn't speed-ball, it is the clash of player level. remember halo 2 multiplayer? I do i lost 2 girlfriends because i played it too much. at first it was well balanced. then the standby glitch was discovered. then the noob combo was developed. those things killed that multiplayer. Human beings, who think and outsmart every other living thing on this planet kill this sport. We do it to ourselves. drive with a cellphone, not in California, too many idiots crashing and killing others who are texting ruined that. just an example. we do it to ourselves.

In closing i want to say this. Paintball will be around awhile longer yet. it will for the most part be .68. The only time we will ever see .50 paint balls is on church groups, or private parties. or if a team that uses .50 cal wins the world cup. tell me you won't buy it then.

*edited for content

Last edited by phant0m0 : 01-12-2012 at 11:54 PM.
phant0m0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 01-13-2012, 01:06 PM #65
Horizon
 
 
Horizon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Victoria, BC, Canada
Horizon is a member of the Paintball Operators' Association
Quote:
Originally Posted by phant0m0 View Post
Best Kill the other team story.
So this church group came to our field. They had never played before. a couple of the members were in their 60's. they were on the other team for this game in particular. why they didn't have a private party goes beyond me. We had on this day brought a couple of scrubby kids we know down to the field and loaned them some of our old spyder 03 Xtras. They wanted to hang with us with all day, so we got out our old Reliable Sonix and my 09 CP Spyder that i travel with, and jumped in the beginner group. so i see this church group and I'm thinking "hmmm, not good". As my team was taking a walk to the other side of the field we passed a just ending intermediate game. A couple of them jumped in the beginner group and hid in the back. Again i was like "seriously"? SO, we are waiting to go, when all of a sudden the ref screams go go! whistle blows, now you have 20+ people running along the same side of the field to the starting area of the other team and the church group. My wife and our guests went the other way. We get to the other teams starting gate to find the intermediate guys and a mix of beginners in the starting gate doorway of the other team just Pelting these poor people. literally they (church group) left the field defeated. they threw their gear on the ground and got management. Apparently the other ref didn't sound the GO GO to the church team they never got a chance to leave the starting room.
OK, the refs would have figured out they screwed up pretty quick. Why on earth did they not run in front of the starting room and stop the game immediately?
Horizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 03:16 PM #66
phant0m0
WC Remedy #6
 
phant0m0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Southern Ca
Annual Supporting Member
phant0m0 is BST Trusted
phant0m0 plays in the PSP
phant0m0 owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
phant0m0 owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
phant0m0 plays in the APPA D4 division
phant0m0 has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
The church groups Ref, didn't know we had started. When the firing started the ref was caught off guard. Of course the Ref's stopped the massacre, but still no reprimands on the group jumpers was the biggest surprise.
phant0m0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 06:42 PM #67
D. Feyd
Sharks have Feyd week.
 
D. Feyd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
.50 was touted as to bring new players in cheaper with less pain. I agree with all points of the original post. After it didn't catch on it was then marketed to the speedball community as a way to save money. I would agree on this point if it was cheaper. As for people being less than cordial to a new player on the speedball field I've seen that over and over again. And my personal opinion on that it is that is the fields fault for letting a new player get on the pitch with experienced players. Sure they sold some paint but lost a potential customer. I was at Boston Paintball last night and was happy to see they did not allow that to happen. That to me was a big step in making it fun for every body. We play pump and always have fun. Want to save the sport? Take the battery guns out of walk on play. Semi only. Keep the new players together and watch them have fun. I saw only smiles on the faces of the walk ons with the BT-4 Combats running around! They had a blast. Drop in a 14 year old with an Ion and the game is ruined. It's just not a game of skill anymore. It's a game of fire power. Just my opinion. Feyd................
D. Feyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 11:20 PM #68
Castro #66
Not a Moderator*
 
Castro #66's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Annual Supporting Member
Castro #66 is a Supporting Member
Castro #66 is playing at Living Legends VII
Castro #66 supports Bob Gurnsey
Castro #66 is one of the top 500 posters on PbNation
Castro #66 is Legendary
Castro #66 is attending Decay of Nations VII
Hardly just "your" opinion, Feyd, but you probably know that.
__________________
Certified Master Airsmith
Airsmithing & 3rd Party Shipping - PM for details
Can't we all just play Paintball?


Castro #66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 11:39 PM #69
KidInfamous
There can only be One
 
KidInfamous's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Pittsburgh
Annual Supporting Member
KidInfamous plays in the PSP
KidInfamous donated to help Peyton Trent
KidInfamous supports Team VICIOUS
KidInfamous posts videos on PbNation
KidInfamous is a top reviewer
KidInfamous is Legendary
KidInfamous is Boss
Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Feyd View Post
.50 was touted as to bring new players in cheaper with less pain. I agree with all points of the original post. After it didn't catch on it was then marketed to the speedball community as a way to save money. I would agree on this point if it was cheaper. As for people being less than cordial to a new player on the speedball field I've seen that over and over again. And my personal opinion on that it is that is the fields fault for letting a new player get on the pitch with experienced players. Sure they sold some paint but lost a potential customer. I was at Boston Paintball last night and was happy to see they did not allow that to happen. That to me was a big step in making it fun for every body. We play pump and always have fun. Want to save the sport? Take the battery guns out of walk on play. Semi only. Keep the new players together and watch them have fun. I saw only smiles on the faces of the walk ons with the BT-4 Combats running around! They had a blast. Drop in a 14 year old with an Ion and the game is ruined. It's just not a game of skill anymore. It's a game of fire power. Just my opinion. Feyd................
It comes down to the field and refs. I mean around here a lot of the kids that come to our local field bring high end guns in and all this fancy gear in so its hard. Plus they willingly jump on with us. I mean if they wanna play with the experienced players we will split them up with us to make things fair. but we will let them play their own matches. but the rental kids always play in their own group never with us.
__________________
2011 USPA CHAMPIONS
sumorai: "I'm taking my xball and going home."
LUXEMOB
ASMC
Erie LandSharks
PittsburghAllAmericanHeroes
Youtube Channel CLICK IT!
Macdev Militia
KidInfamous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 12:08 PM #70
D. Feyd
Sharks have Feyd week.
 
D. Feyd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
When a kid goes out and spends his money on top of the line gear and try's to jump on the field with a group of good players and gets shot up that is his problem. Now if you look what I wrote I said shot up not over shot. I used to jump in with the D-2/3 teams and help them practice. I'd get shot but not lit up. But these were good players with allot of experience. Not the AGG kids who think they know how to play. I had allot of fun those days and I would on purpose avoid the younger teams. Now that I have been strictly pump for about 4 years I don't do that anymore. I get nothing out of it and if I do get people out they get pissed because a pumper got them. So I get bonus balled later. So I have just stopped doing it. Back to the field and the Ref's I couldn't agree more. But allot of fields have their younger teams Reffing so it can be good, bad or so, so. When I say new player for the most part I mean the rental player or the kids with their dads and the Tippy 98's. It's easy to slam speedball and I try not to be involved with the negativity toward it. There are morons on both sides of the paintball fence so to speak. As experienced players we should always help the new players and make sure they are not lit up by the one or two that are at the field for the wrong reason. Feyd...........
D. Feyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 02:48 PM #71
KidInfamous
There can only be One
 
KidInfamous's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Pittsburgh
Annual Supporting Member
KidInfamous plays in the PSP
KidInfamous donated to help Peyton Trent
KidInfamous supports Team VICIOUS
KidInfamous posts videos on PbNation
KidInfamous is a top reviewer
KidInfamous is Legendary
KidInfamous is Boss
Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Feyd View Post
When a kid goes out and spends his money on top of the line gear and try's to jump on the field with a group of good players and gets shot up that is his problem. Now if you look what I wrote I said shot up not over shot. I used to jump in with the D-2/3 teams and help them practice. I'd get shot but not lit up. But these were good players with allot of experience. Not the AGG kids who think they know how to play. I had allot of fun those days and I would on purpose avoid the younger teams. Now that I have been strictly pump for about 4 years I don't do that anymore. I get nothing out of it and if I do get people out they get pissed because a pumper got them. So I get bonus balled later. So I have just stopped doing it. Back to the field and the Ref's I couldn't agree more. But allot of fields have their younger teams Reffing so it can be good, bad or so, so. When I say new player for the most part I mean the rental player or the kids with their dads and the Tippy 98's. It's easy to slam speedball and I try not to be involved with the negativity toward it. There are morons on both sides of the paintball fence so to speak. As experienced players we should always help the new players and make sure they are not lit up by the one or two that are at the field for the wrong reason. Feyd...........

No i completely agree with you. And some off the agg kids do get blown apart because they want people to think they are cool so they cheat and play on and then get blown up. And now they are pissed and don't wanna play any more. When i started playing Angel had just really came into being was like the end all be all gun and our walk on rentals got forced to play against all the good kids so we lost every match we played but i never got over shot. And i try not to over shoot any little kid. I try to put one or two on their pack or hopper. so they don't take one to the back. and see there aren't really any pumpers around here so its a rarity to see them and those who do play with mechs or pumps don't last long against people all rocking 12.5 but such is life. how ever when i was in the woods i am sure i have been popped by a pump player before just means he out played me.
but the fields around here keep the walk on rentals away form the kids who bring their own gear
__________________
2011 USPA CHAMPIONS
sumorai: "I'm taking my xball and going home."
LUXEMOB
ASMC
Erie LandSharks
PittsburghAllAmericanHeroes
Youtube Channel CLICK IT!
Macdev Militia
KidInfamous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 06:52 AM #72
ryanpb91
ryan
 
ryanpb91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: south chi burbs
ryanpb91 helped look for balloons
ryanpb91 is playing at Living Legends III
ryanpb91 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
ryanpb91 supports Team VICIOUS
Just a couple things:
1. Paintball costs way to much just based on the fact that you have to buy at least a case every time you play (cheapest I've seen was $35, most expensive $50), in addition to the initial hit you take on decent equipment(I paid I think around $500 for a PM7, Grillz, Halo v35, and some stubby 45/45 tank in 2009 I believe. I will say my previous setup was cheaper but also ****tier quality), and the entry fees to the fields(normally around $20). Take other extreme sports for example. I got my entire snowboarding set up for $310 dollars, a CAPiTA mid-end board, Forum bindings, and Burton boots. All of it was only a season old. I pay right around 30 dollars (+-$10) for a lift ticket and I'm done. I suppose you could argue that you need to buy pants and a jacket, but what kid doesn't have snow pants and a winter coat? Skating, I buy a setup for $110, the trucks last years, bearings and wheels around 6 months. A new deck is $23 bucks if you don't need the fancy pro-graphics on the bottom. I've never paid to skate outdoor parks, and it's $10 for the nearest indoor park. It's so much easier and cheaper to pick up either of those sports.
2. I'd say at least over half the paintballers I've had the pleasure of interacting with are complete *** hats or douchebags. They act like they're super cool when they shoot out a 13 year old and then yell at them when they don't leave the bunker right away (most likely due to the fact that they never stopped shooting them in the first place). I've seen grown men who are obviously invested in the sport come near to fist fights over open play games. I understand that there is adrenaline involved, but from when I was 11 and played my first game to when I just recently played what will be my last at 20 years old, I've felt that adrenaline countless times and always composed myself in a decent manner. When I'm on the mountain, I talk to everyone on the lift, almost everyone is friendly and happy and just there to have a good time. Myself and others will stop and go out of our way to help someone collect their hat or gogs or whatever they dropped when they spilled and slid halfway down the mountain. I see guys stop to help kids up when they fall, or to help shut down a park feature when someones hurt on the other side. Yes, there are some douches, but far less than I have encountered on the paintball field, and I have never seen anyone fight over who's turn it is to drop. Same goes for skating, it's just a way chiller environment.
These are the things that are killing your sport. It's not new guns or different equipment, in fact I think it's the resistance to change that is killing it.
__________________
jtownjunkies21-"My parents want to give me their 330ci i was like, hoe im buying my own car."

Last edited by ryanpb91 : 01-20-2012 at 06:55 AM.
ryanpb91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 09:39 AM #73
Horizon
 
 
Horizon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Victoria, BC, Canada
Horizon is a member of the Paintball Operators' Association
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanpb91 View Post
Just a couple things:
1. Paintball costs way to much just based on the fact that you have to buy at least a case every time you play....
Hmmm...I wonder if this mentality might be creating a problem at the places you play? I own a recreational paintball field. We have close to 10,000 people come and play each year. I bet we have less than 10 players a year that shoot a case per day. The average is right near 500 paintballs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanpb91 View Post
2. I'd say at least over half the paintballers I've had the pleasure of interacting with are complete *** hats or douchebags. They act like they're super cool when they shoot out a 13 year old and then yell at them when they don't leave the bunker right away (most likely due to the fact that they never stopped shooting them in the first place). I've seen grown men who are obviously invested in the sport come near to fist fights over open play games. I understand that there is adrenaline involved, but from when I was 11 and played my first game to when I just recently played what will be my last at 20 years old, I've felt that adrenaline countless times and always composed myself in a decent manner. When I'm on the mountain, I talk to everyone on the lift, almost everyone is friendly and happy and just there to have a good time. Myself and others will stop and go out of our way to help someone collect their hat or gogs or whatever they dropped when they spilled and slid halfway down the mountain. I see guys stop to help kids up when they fall, or to help shut down a park feature when someones hurt on the other side. Yes, there are some douches, but far less than I have encountered on the paintball field, and I have never seen anyone fight over who's turn it is to drop. Same goes for skating, it's just a way chiller environment.
We don't have many asshats at our field. It's a pretty mellow affair. I wonder if there might be a correlation with the amount of paint people are shooting and the atmosphere it creates?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanpb91 View Post
These are the things that are killing your sport. It's not new guns or different equipment, in fact I think it's the resistance to change that is killing it.
Resistance to change? So you don't think the paintball has changed much over the years? Having been around the sport a while, I can tell you that the game has changed ALOT. Some of the change has been very positive, some of it, in my opinion, has led to much of the douchebaggery and asshattery that we see today. I can tell you there was a time that there was very little asshattery to be seen at just about all paintball fields. Infact, it was probably the desire for change (faster markers and cheaper paintballs) that has contributed to much of the negative you see at field today. So I am going to have to disagree with you wholeheartedly that a resistance for change is killing paintball.
Horizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 11:57 AM #74
KidInfamous
There can only be One
 
KidInfamous's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Pittsburgh
Annual Supporting Member
KidInfamous plays in the PSP
KidInfamous donated to help Peyton Trent
KidInfamous supports Team VICIOUS
KidInfamous posts videos on PbNation
KidInfamous is a top reviewer
KidInfamous is Legendary
KidInfamous is Boss
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanpb91 View Post
Just a couple things:
1. Paintball costs way to much just based on the fact that you have to buy at least a case every time you play (cheapest I've seen was $35, most expensive $50), in addition to the initial hit you take on decent equipment(I paid I think around $500 for a PM7, Grillz, Halo v35, and some stubby 45/45 tank in 2009 I believe. I will say my previous setup was cheaper but also ****tier quality), and the entry fees to the fields(normally around $20). Take other extreme sports for example. I got my entire snowboarding set up for $310 dollars, a CAPiTA mid-end board, Forum bindings, and Burton boots. All of it was only a season old. I pay right around 30 dollars (+-$10) for a lift ticket and I'm done. I suppose you could argue that you need to buy pants and a jacket, but what kid doesn't have snow pants and a winter coat? Skating, I buy a setup for $110, the trucks last years, bearings and wheels around 6 months. A new deck is $23 bucks if you don't need the fancy pro-graphics on the bottom. I've never paid to skate outdoor parks, and it's $10 for the nearest indoor park. It's so much easier and cheaper to pick up either of those sports.
2. I'd say at least over half the paintballers I've had the pleasure of interacting with are complete *** hats or douchebags. They act like they're super cool when they shoot out a 13 year old and then yell at them when they don't leave the bunker right away (most likely due to the fact that they never stopped shooting them in the first place). I've seen grown men who are obviously invested in the sport come near to fist fights over open play games. I understand that there is adrenaline involved, but from when I was 11 and played my first game to when I just recently played what will be my last at 20 years old, I've felt that adrenaline countless times and always composed myself in a decent manner. When I'm on the mountain, I talk to everyone on the lift, almost everyone is friendly and happy and just there to have a good time. Myself and others will stop and go out of our way to help someone collect their hat or gogs or whatever they dropped when they spilled and slid halfway down the mountain. I see guys stop to help kids up when they fall, or to help shut down a park feature when someones hurt on the other side. Yes, there are some douches, but far less than I have encountered on the paintball field, and I have never seen anyone fight over who's turn it is to drop. Same goes for skating, it's just a way chiller environment.
These are the things that are killing your sport. It's not new guns or different equipment, in fact I think it's the resistance to change that is killing it.
1. Yes paintball does cost a good bit of money but i know a lot more expensive outings. and as for snowboarding you have no idea of cost then. First Hockey is ridiculously expensive. a good pair of skates can cost you 100 + the pads and gear is another couple hundred. Some sticks can cost you 150 a stick and if you snap one that is 150 gone. Some places when you have to pay for ice time thats expensive and if you are a goaltender then you are looking at 1000+ for the hockey pads. La cross can get expensive too a little bit. The only thing truly cheap is sitting at home and meditating. But for snowboarding. My pants were 100 my jacket 100 goggles were 75. board 200 bindings 100 boots 150. and u must have a really cheap place the places i go are around 70 for a day pass. So yea its not that cheap. Hell i rock climb and thats not the cheapest.

2. Then you really play at the wrong places. Woods ballers are some of the friendliest people i have ever met. They are more then willing to chat with you. And Yes some speedballers can be real douchers but not all, i have met some really nice people. I have met a dozen pro players and they were all some of the coolest guys i hung out with/drank with a few. And you say they are aggressive. Have you ever watched any other sport. there is always jawing and scraps. its Adrenaline, its testosterone. if there were more women in the sport it may calm guys down a little bit, but who knows. and You say the people are on the mountain are nice. Doubtful. they may be nice to your face but i hear people talk. they talk the most **** behind peoples back. at least paintballers will say it face to face. Skiers and Boarders laugh and talk massive crap on people who fall off a jump or land bad and bail. even little kids. and Skiers are the worst people. they act like they are the kings of the mountain they cut you off and run into you and act likes its your fault they hit you. I am 25 i have been playing paintball since i was 11. been playing tourney ball last 8+ years. and yea it's up and down but we just need to unite the sport and get outside support to help clean up the act. Its a shame you are quitting the sport because a few bad people ruined it for you.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Horizon View Post
Hmmm...I wonder if this mentality might be creating a problem at the places you play? I own a recreational paintball field. We have close to 10,000 people come and play each year. I bet we have less than 10 players a year that shoot a case per day. The average is right near 500 paintballs.

We don't have many asshats at our field. It's a pretty mellow affair. I wonder if there might be a correlation with the amount of paint people are shooting and the atmosphere it creates?

Resistance to change? So you don't think the paintball has changed much over the years? Having been around the sport a while, I can tell you that the game has changed ALOT. Some of the change has been very positive, some of it, in my opinion, has led to much of the douchebaggery and asshattery that we see today. I can tell you there was a time that there was very little asshattery to be seen at just about all paintball fields. Infact, it was probably the desire for change (faster markers and cheaper paintballs) that has contributed to much of the negative you see at field today. So I am going to have to disagree with you wholeheartedly that a resistance for change is killing paintball.
QFT
Again we need one defined league and possible outside the sport sponsors to help the sport clean its image. Snowboarders were seen as trash of the mountain until companies got involved and sponsored kids and created events to show off the talent. When acting like an ******* costs you sponsorship dollars you tend to act like a polite person all the time.
__________________
2011 USPA CHAMPIONS
sumorai: "I'm taking my xball and going home."
LUXEMOB
ASMC
Erie LandSharks
PittsburghAllAmericanHeroes
Youtube Channel CLICK IT!
Macdev Militia
KidInfamous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 01:27 AM #75
ryanpb91
ryan
 
ryanpb91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: south chi burbs
ryanpb91 helped look for balloons
ryanpb91 is playing at Living Legends III
ryanpb91 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
ryanpb91 supports Team VICIOUS
TL;DR p-paintball sucks as a un-serious recreational sport no matter how you try to sell it, and that is a major problem if you want to expand past a niche sport.
__________________
jtownjunkies21-"My parents want to give me their 330ci i was like, hoe im buying my own car."
ryanpb91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 08:20 AM #76
Horizon
 
 
Horizon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Victoria, BC, Canada
Horizon is a member of the Paintball Operators' Association
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanpb91 View Post
TL;DR p-paintball sucks as a un-serious recreational sport no matter how you try to sell it, and that is a major problem if you want to expand past a niche sport.
I'd love to read the long version of that statement because that makes no sense at all.
Horizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 09:58 AM #77
LoneWolf99
Knight Stalker
 
LoneWolf99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Columbia, MD
I kind of think I understand what he's saying - but not the most coherent thought process there....
__________________
Knight Stalkers Scenario Team

Proudly Sponsored By:
Outdoor Extreme - Chesapeake City
Chipley Custom Machine (CCM)
Feel Good Inc. Pump Team

R.I.P. Rob "Cooter" Coltrane - OPFOR & Knight Stalker - Best of the Best, 1952 - 2010
LoneWolf99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 06:50 AM #78
ryanpb91
ryan
 
ryanpb91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: south chi burbs
ryanpb91 helped look for balloons
ryanpb91 is playing at Living Legends III
ryanpb91 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
ryanpb91 supports Team VICIOUS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Horizon View Post
I'd love to read the long version of that statement because that makes no sense at all.
TL;DR p-paintball sucks as a un-serious recreational sport no matter how you try to sell it, and that is a major problem if you want to expand past a niche sport.

I was two 40s deep at this point, but honestly what doesn't make sense? I think I messed up two things, both grammatical errors. Here is the fixed statement:

TL;DR paintball sucks as a non-serious recreational sport no matter how you try to sell it, and that is a major problem if you want to expand past a niche sport.

By non-serious I mean the people who go maybe a handful of times in their lives, or the people who support the sport without actually playing it. What I mean by the rest of the statement is, either be happy with the fact that the sport is small and that you can still play it, or try in vain to make it appeal to people who it's never going to appeal to. A TON of people just don't like guns (a backwards belief I know, but still it exists). You can call it a marker, but it is still very much similar to a gun. If you try to argue this, you're a self-rationalizing fool. Another problem people have is that it directly simulates warfare, something many people are not O.K. with. Combine that with the reasons I pointed out in my above posts, and you have a pretty solid answer to the question of why paintball is a niche sport.

EDIT: I had typed up responses to the folks who quoted my above post (the two part one) last night, but by that time I was off the charts drunk and forgot to send it before moving on to the next thing me and my buddies were doing. Basically, I realize that what I pay to ride is cheap, but I look for deals and I ride the midwest. The hills around here are pretty cheap. But still, season passes greatly reduce the cost of riding anywhere. And I don't know about hockey, that's why I didn't mention it. Cheers!
__________________
jtownjunkies21-"My parents want to give me their 330ci i was like, hoe im buying my own car."

Last edited by ryanpb91 : 01-22-2012 at 07:06 AM.
ryanpb91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 11:50 AM #79
D. Feyd
Sharks have Feyd week.
 
D. Feyd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
You guys should try playing a day of pump. It's really allot of fun and a total challenge to play. We play at a private field and it's always a good time. The funny thing is the AT (auto trigger) crowd and the stock class crowd are always debating each other it's really funny! I guess nothing is ever perfect and people are always going to try a push their own agenda. There is going to be a pump only Castle this spring but the most fun I have ever had at a field was Pumpers Pandemonium! That is a complete party!!!! At Boston Paint ball we are trying to play every other Thursday pump only And we are slowly starting to get interest but it is growing. If anything is going to save the sport I think it may be pump for beginners and then they move up to play semis. But if all rentals used pumps to get a taste of the sport with out the worry of getting torched we may retain more new players that move to a faster discipline of the sport. Ya I know I can dream but it's an idea that I think has merit! I started in pump and have ended up in pump and as an older player I couldn't be happier and have more fun! And at the end of the day shouldn't that what it's all about! And if any of you reading this are local to Boston look me up on MCB in the North East section and come out to a pump game I always bring three or four guns to each game to lone out. Feyd.......................
D. Feyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 12:07 PM #80
Horizon
 
 
Horizon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Victoria, BC, Canada
Horizon is a member of the Paintball Operators' Association
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanpb91 View Post
TL;DR paintball sucks as a non-serious recreational sport no matter how you try to sell it, and that is a major problem if you want to expand past a niche sport.

By non-serious I mean the people who go maybe a handful of times in their lives, or the people who support the sport without actually playing it. What I mean by the rest of the statement is, either be happy with the fact that the sport is small and that you can still play it, or try in vain to make it appeal to people who it's never going to appeal to. A TON of people just don't like guns (a backwards belief I know, but still it exists). You can call it a marker, but it is still very much similar to a gun. If you try to argue this, you're a self-rationalizing fool. Another problem people have is that it directly simulates warfare, something many people are not O.K. with. Combine that with the reasons I pointed out in my above posts, and you have a pretty solid answer to the question of why paintball is a niche sport.
I guess a a paintball field owner who has built his business mostly around the people who only play a few times a year and has seen it grow in these parts tremendously in the past 10 years, I have a bit of a problem with that train of thought. Just like most sports, there are those that get into it real seriously (play all the time and feel they need different and better gear regularly) and there are those that only play every once in a while just for the fun of it. The latter portion happens to be much, much bigger than the ones that take it more seriously. As an industry, we have to take those people (the recreational, less serious portion) very seriously.

Sure there are a ton of people who don't like paintball just out of principle. But there are a ton more that don't have a problem with it and if available in a fun, more relaxed, less painful way, are willing to take part, in huge numbers.
Horizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 12:40 PM #81
KidInfamous
There can only be One
 
KidInfamous's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Pittsburgh
Annual Supporting Member
KidInfamous plays in the PSP
KidInfamous donated to help Peyton Trent
KidInfamous supports Team VICIOUS
KidInfamous posts videos on PbNation
KidInfamous is a top reviewer
KidInfamous is Legendary
KidInfamous is Boss
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanpb91 View Post
TL;DR p-paintball sucks as a un-serious recreational sport no matter how you try to sell it, and that is a major problem if you want to expand past a niche sport.

I was two 40s deep at this point, but honestly what doesn't make sense? I think I messed up two things, both grammatical errors. Here is the fixed statement:

TL;DR paintball sucks as a non-serious recreational sport no matter how you try to sell it, and that is a major problem if you want to expand past a niche sport.

By non-serious I mean the people who go maybe a handful of times in their lives, or the people who support the sport without actually playing it. What I mean by the rest of the statement is, either be happy with the fact that the sport is small and that you can still play it, or try in vain to make it appeal to people who it's never going to appeal to. A TON of people just don't like guns (a backwards belief I know, but still it exists). You can call it a marker, but it is still very much similar to a gun. If you try to argue this, you're a self-rationalizing fool. Another problem people have is that it directly simulates warfare, something many people are not O.K. with. Combine that with the reasons I pointed out in my above posts, and you have a pretty solid answer to the question of why paintball is a niche sport.

EDIT: I had typed up responses to the folks who quoted my above post (the two part one) last night, but by that time I was off the charts drunk and forgot to send it before moving on to the next thing me and my buddies were doing. Basically, I realize that what I pay to ride is cheap, but I look for deals and I ride the midwest. The hills around here are pretty cheap. But still, season passes greatly reduce the cost of riding anywhere. And I don't know about hockey, that's why I didn't mention it. Cheers!
Paintball only simulates war when you try to make it that. Maybe it simulates WW1 tatics. I mean a bunch of guys in camo running through the woods at eachother and firing paintball to capture a flag. You could say that it could equate because in older times it was not considered a victory until you had removed your enemies flag from their base and placed you own. But take a look at speedball it is nothing like war. I really get irritated when people say we are simulating war, cause last time i checked the Military wasn't recruiting paintballers because we can shoot 18bps on semi or know how run through the woods and and complete random objectives. Paintball was and has always been a game of capture the flag that we just spiced up a little bit.
And how can you say that paintball markers are in the relm of guns. they are no where similiar if i take a picture of my glock my m1 and my G6r you are going to tell me that my g6r looks or performs just like a gun. You are the reason our sport stays in the gutter. Paintball markers are nothing like guns. First off bullets look nothing like paintballs and they are self propelled, Last time i checked i didn't have primer or a firing cap in my paintballs. Secondly paintball guns are vibrantly colored and engraved, guns aren't. I have never seen a soldier running around with a pink to black fade m16. If someone shoots you with a gun chances are your going to the hospital or the grave, if i shoot you with my g6r your going to walk off the field. Huge difference. Paintballs fly at 300fps or about 180mph bullets move 600fps or more. when you say paintball markers are like guns then you are saying hey keep putting our sport down. Until we can convince people that our markers have no resemblance to guns. Granted a lot of paintball marker companies are making there markers look like real guns to simulate the feel of running with them which is cool for the scenario players but can still put us in a bad lite and we will constantly have the stigma that we could shoot someone with a real gun just as easily as we do with our paintball markers.
__________________
2011 USPA CHAMPIONS
sumorai: "I'm taking my xball and going home."
LUXEMOB
ASMC
Erie LandSharks
PittsburghAllAmericanHeroes
Youtube Channel CLICK IT!
Macdev Militia

Last edited by KidInfamous : 01-22-2012 at 12:43 PM.
KidInfamous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 01:02 AM #82
ryanpb91
ryan
 
ryanpb91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: south chi burbs
ryanpb91 helped look for balloons
ryanpb91 is playing at Living Legends III
ryanpb91 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
ryanpb91 supports Team VICIOUS
Quote:
Originally Posted by KidInfamous View Post
Paintball only simulates war when you try to make it that. Maybe it simulates WW1 tatics. I mean a bunch of guys in camo running through the woods at eachother and firing paintball to capture a flag. You could say that it could equate because in older times it was not considered a victory until you had removed your enemies flag from their base and placed you own. But take a look at speedball it is nothing like war. I really get irritated when people say we are simulating war, cause last time i checked the Military wasn't recruiting paintballers because we can shoot 18bps on semi or know how run through the woods and and complete random objectives. Paintball was and has always been a game of capture the flag that we just spiced up a little bit.

Are you serious? It's one of the best ways to simulate combat safely. I've rarely played, especially woods scenario style, games that end in flag hangs. They end because of time or because the other team is out. Yes, open players might not know the best tactics, but when I've played with good scenario players, they use a plethora of military tactics. Granted speedball has a little bit of the military aspect taken out of it, and a little more traditional team sport qualities thrown in, but it's still two teams, shooting at each other to eliminate each other.
And how can you say that paintball markers are in the relm of guns. they are no where similiar if i take a picture of my glock my m1 and my G6r you are going to tell me that my g6r looks or performs just like a gun. You are the reason our sport stays in the gutter. Paintball markers are nothing like guns. First off bullets look nothing like paintballs and they are self propelled, Last time i checked i didn't have primer or a firing cap in my paintballs. Secondly paintball guns are vibrantly colored and engraved, guns aren't. I have never seen a soldier running around with a pink to black fade m16. If someone shoots you with a gun chances are your going to the hospital or the grave, if i shoot you with my g6r your going to walk off the field. Huge difference. Paintballs fly at 300fps or about 180mph bullets move 600fps or more. when you say paintball markers are like guns then you are saying hey keep putting our sport down. Until we can convince people that our markers have no resemblance to guns. Granted a lot of paintball marker companies are making there markers look like real guns to simulate the feel of running with them which is cool for the scenario players but can still put us in a bad lite and we will constantly have the stigma that we could shoot someone with a real gun just as easily as we do with our paintball markers.
Like I said, self-rationalizing fool. I didn't say markers=guns, I said markers are similar to guns. The method of propulsion is of course different, as are the results of being hit or hitting something. And yes, while there are a lot of markers that are colorful and oddly shaped, any person can look at it and see the aesthetic similarities to a gun. Another way of explaining this would be to say that O.K., an ostrich doesn't look like a bird, but you recognize parts of it as being inherently avian, therefore, you can conclude that it is a bird. And you can never argue the fact that scenario markers don't look exactly like their firearm cousins. Look, I'm not saying "down with paintball", I'm just saying you participate in a niche sport that really doesn't have much potential for growth, especially in this economic climate.
__________________
jtownjunkies21-"My parents want to give me their 330ci i was like, hoe im buying my own car."
ryanpb91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 05:29 PM #83
iboomalot
 
 
iboomalot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: OKC , Okla
iboomalot is a founding member
 has been a member for 10 years
cheapest was $35 a case

well I would feel sorry for you when crap paint was $50 and field was 65-75 and proball was well over that for tourney grade in the 1990s.

Guns are costly at $400 - $2,000 a marker, My B2K nickel plated LCD trigger programable was like $500 in 1999/2000. only nice affordable marker IMO is a invert Mini.

This game isn't really more expensive than Golf , round of golf is what? 30-100+ for 4 hours of play, at $4/ball loose a sleeve and thats $12 gone, Clubs cost how much? gloves , clothing , shoes? Lessons? Bets lost on the course?

Heck at $20 for 3 mins of teasing a strip club is costly
__________________
Play under the name Panther on the field,
Been playing PB since late 1980s off and on.

VISIT www.expandinghealthcare.com for 30%-50% off dental costs with Aetna for $9.95/month which includes entire family
iboomalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 07:42 PM #84
BigDreamer
...BAM!
 
BigDreamer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: California
BigDreamer is playing at Living Legends V
BigDreamer owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
BigDreamer supports Pev's Paintball
BigDreamer is attending Decay of Nations VI
BigDreamer supports DLX Technology
i feel .50cal is more of a way for the paintball companies to sell more guns and make more money
__________________
SIGNATURE
I Voted For McCain!!!
BigDreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
Forum Jump