Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 07-20-2016, 08:05 AM #1
The_Fresh
Doug

Annual Supporting Member
 plays in the NXL
The_Fresh supports Ninja Paintball
Macdev Clone 5 Upgrade Parts Reviews, Installation and Tuning Guide!!!

Hey everyone,

Macdev blessed me with the opportunity to test and review the new Clone 5 parts, the purging asa, gold bolt, and aluminum valve. Here I offer my honest opinions on each one, along with instructions. If you have any questions or concerns, feel free to post!

VIDEO COMING SOON!!!

Gold Bolt –

- Overview: When Macdev releases a gold bolt, it means business. Macdev is no stranger to producing top of the line markers. After the marker has been out for a little while, they usually upgrade their drivetrains with gold bolts shortly afterwards to improve upon an already great platform. Well, now it’s that time for the Clone 5 to get it’s gold bolt!
- Looks and differences: The gold bolt is a very good looking part and showcases Macdev’s superior machining. The bolt’s major physical differences compared to the previous blue bolt, is that the gold bolt is 6.5mm longer than the stock blue bolt, and the rear section of the new gold bolt includes major horizontal cuts / slots. This will now drastically drop the Clone 5’s dwell, and change the sound signature when firing. The other difference is the bolt has been milled to accept a 014 o ring for the bumper, this helps with reliability. The bolt retains the same red soft tip and the bolt cuts behind the 016 o rings.

- Review 5/5: The performance benefits from the gold bolt are very apparent. This upgrade will achieve an approx. 33-50% reduction in dwell, a softer shot, and a different sound signature. The gun appears to shoot snappier. The gun still shoots extremely consistent over the chrono with little to no kick. Easily worth the money. Highly recommended.

Aluminum Valve –

- Overview: The new aluminum valve is a very high quality product, and Macdev’s signature of high quality machining is apparent here. Front section is still delrin but it has been redesigned. The smooth black anodizing is aesthetically appealing as well. It honestly looks like it should have been there from the get-go.
- Looks and differences: The front delrin tip is slightly shorter than the previous valve with a more aggressive triangulated mating area to the aluminum portion. The fat middle section of the old valve has been removed on the new aluminum valve, and the width of the middle section is thinner by approx. 1.5mm on the aluminum version. The aluminum valve’s overall valve length is shorter than the previous version by approx. 1.5mm. The changes should allow the new aluminum valve to have a slight volume chamber increase, thus resulting in a lower pressure per shot. It appears that the new valve fits tighter in the bore of the bolt as well.

- Review: 5/5. Installation is easy as pie. Works well with the gold bolt to achieve a nice consistent and soft shot. Highly recommended if you plan on buying the gold bolt (as you should).

Purging ASA / Regulator Upgrade –

- Overview: Macdev listened to its customers who wanted their markers to have a purging ASA, and the parts are here to make that happen! The new parts included are: new regulator piston (green), new adjuster (brass color), and ASA pin (silver).
- Looks and Differences: The new piston has some new milling on it half way down the neck. O ring sizes have remained the same. Brass adjuster piece looks very similar to the old adjuster, except it has a few more pieces inside of it compared to the old one. This works in conjunction with the new ASA pin. Finally, the new ASA pin has a longer cut in the center, to aid in purging the air out of the system. As usual, the quality is top notch, and installation is very simple.

-Review: 5/5. Installation is extremely simply, takes 5 minutes. Adjuster works well, gun is consistent, and purges all of the air in the gun when the ASA knob is fully unscrewed. I recommend this to everyone with a Clone 5, Drone 2, or Cyborg 6. It’s nice not having to fire the marker to degas the gun and make it safe.

All 3 Upgrades are a must for all Clone 5 Owners!!!

Boston Siege

Last edited by The_Fresh : 07-20-2016 at 10:45 AM.
The_Fresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 07-20-2016, 08:05 AM #2
The_Fresh
Doug

Annual Supporting Member
 plays in the NXL
Installation Instructions –

Purging ASA Upgrade:

Refer to the videos below from James @ Macdev for regulator maintenance and ASA maintenance to reference the installation or address any issues you may have.

Maintain your Regulator on the Macdev Clone 5 and Drone 2
Maintain your Asa on the Macdev Clone 5 and Drone 2

- Tools needed: Macdev Militia Lube, clean towels, 5/64”, 1/8” and 1/4” Allen key wrenches, and an adjustable crescent wrench.
- Remove tank and hopper. Degas marker, discharge in safe area and direction.
- Completely unscrew and remove ASA knob out of ASA.
- Using the 1/8” Allen key wrench, stick through front hole of ASA to push out ASA internal cartridge. The ASA cartridge is comprised of 3 parts.
- Push pin out of the cartridge. A washer will come off as well. (Pay attention to the orientation for reinstallation.)
- Wipe off old grease from the 2 ASA cartridge o rings. Relube with Macdev Militia Lube.
- Reassemble cartridge with new upgraded ASA pin.
- Reinstall ASA cartridge.
- Remove 6 grip screws with 5/64” Allen key wrench and remove grips.
- Using your 1/4” Allen key wrench, unscrew the regulator assembly and remove from frame. (if piston is stuck inside, remove by sticking a small allen key inside of the piston, and pull piston out using allen key.
- Wipe off old lube off o rings of regulator assembly.
- Using adjustable wrench and the 1/4” Allen key, loosen the two parts of the lower section of the regulator housing.
- Using the 1/8” Allen key wrench, tighten adjuster (clockwise) until adjuster falls out.
- Lube o ring on the new adjuster, push into the lower portion of regulator, install using 1/8” Allen key wrench (counter-clockwise).
**** WARNING: I suggest turning it out all of the way, then it is important to turn adjuster back in (clockwise) when installation of the regulator assembly is complete so you don’t blow the solenoid. ****
- Reassemble lower portion of regulator, lube all o rings including internal piston step sealing o ring.
- Lubricate new piston o ring, and piston bottom stem. Install with spring into regulator lower section.
- Install regulator assembly back into frame.
- Reinstall grips and screw.
**** Slowly and lightly turn the adjuster in clockwise until you feel the slightest amount of resistance (this is the piston bottoming out, do not screw down hard). This step is important and will zero out the pressure of the marker. ****
- Reinstall ASA knob.
- Install your tank, air up marker. While trying to shoot over a chronograph, slowly turn regulator adjuster counter clockwise until desired FPS is acquired.

Gold Bolt and/or Aluminum Valve Upgrades:

Refer to the video below from James @ Macdev for the installation video

Clone 5 Gold Bold Installation

- Tools needed: Macdev Militia Lube and clean towels.
- Remove tank and hopper. Degas marker, discharge in safe area and direction.
- Remove drivetrain by lifting back cap (drive cover) and pulling the drive out.
- Wipe any old grease off of drivetrain. Unscrew drive cap (black part) from spacer, unscrew spacer (red part) from keg (silver part). Push bolt (blue part) out of the keg. Remove valve (white part), drive spring and pullpin detent. Remove old grease off of all parts inside and out.
- Grease the new Gold bolt (gold part) 014 and 016 o rings (refer to pic). Personally, I put the smallest lightest coat of grease on the riding edge of the bolt tip so I do not get breach wear. It’s not even visible, this is a just my suggestion but not required. Grease internal 017 and 019 o rings in the keg. Grease new Aluminum valve (black and white part) 014, 016 and 110 o rings (refer to pic).
- Install drive spring into back of valve, install pullpin detent into spring. Slide spacer over valve, then install valve into drive cap, screw spacer to valve. Install bolt into keg. Screw keg onto spacer.
- Lube all 020 o rings on outside with a thin coat of grease. Install drivetrain assembly back into marker.
- Shoot over chronograph set to desired FPS range, shoot a stream to verify there is no bolt stick or shoot down issues.

Tuning and adjustments:

- Please note: Paint quality is important when tuning, use the freshest, highest quality paint if possible. Use a clean hopper. Paint to bore match is very critical too to get consistency over a chronograph.
- Your existing settings are probably 12 to 15ms dwell. I would suggest starting with 10ms and working your way down. Typical successful results yielded are in the 8ms to 9.5ms range.
- To enter programming mode: with marker off, press and hold trigger and press power button simultaneously, continue to hold trigger until menu bar has loaded then release. Cycle through options by depressing the power button. Select “Settings”, then hold trigger. Cycle through options with power button until you see “Dwell”. Press and hold the trigger until the numerical value is highlighted. Cycle up or down until 10ms (or desired amount) using the power and or eye buttons. Press and hold trigger to save. Power off and out of Programming mode.
- Verify 10ms (or desired dwell) works by shooting over a chronograph, and shoot a stream to confirm no shoot down happens. Continue lowering in .5ms increments until FPS deviation or shoot down is obvious. Then raise .5ms to 1ms from affected dwell.
- The Clone 5 will continue to get smoother and more efficient as all of the drivetrain components are broken in at approx. 20,000 shots. Enjoy!

Boston Siege

Last edited by The_Fresh : 07-20-2016 at 10:42 AM.
Old 07-20-2016, 11:53 AM #3
Evil Rocky

Annual Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
Evil Rocky supports Ninja Paintball
Very good job on pics and information.

Max Gerhard #1 fan!!!

WTB DM4 UL frame and cheap DM6 or 7
Evil Rocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 02:52 PM #4
CAOL_98
Blessed by grace!

CAOL_98 owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
CAOL_98 owns a Planet Eclipse Gtek
CAOL_98 supports Team VICIOUS
CAOL_98 supports Ninja Paintball
Nice! I kept seeing things on the gold bolt....nothing on the valve (probably just missed it on the upgrades thread). Very cool!

NOT SURE HOW TO POST PICS OF YOUR STUFF TO PBNATION...CLICK ME!!!

TechMD-Click for the BEST Macdev Help on the Internet!!!

"This sport transcends all expectations. I thank God for this gift and the friends I have made playing."
CAOL_98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 02:59 PM #5
The_Fresh
Doug

Annual Supporting Member
 plays in the NXL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Rocky View Post
Very good job on pics and information.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAOL_98 View Post
Nice! I kept seeing things on the gold bolt....nothing on the valve (probably just missed it on the upgrades thread). Very cool!
thanks guys! I hope it answered any questions you guys had

Boston Siege
Old 07-20-2016, 03:42 PM #6
James@MacDev
secret underground lair

James@MacDev works for a Paintball manufacturer
Great Review and nice pics!
Old 07-20-2016, 10:30 PM #7
Noa Bo

Noa Bo owns a Planet Eclipse CS1
Noa Bo supports Shocker RSX
Yes, good stuff. Thank you. I went to practice tonight and got to play through a whole case with the new gold bolt. It was hard to think of how they could improve the clone 5, but they did. The gun performed almost flawlessly. I was a little more liberal with the lube and lowered the dwell down to 10. If I waited a while I did experience a little bit of fsdo with the first shot. Consistency was again, on point. The added smoothness and lack of kick just makes this gun all the more pleasurable to use.
Paintball Sports Park
Operation Paintball
Pbrack
Shocker Paintball
Noa Bo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 01:02 PM #8
aarospoon13
Isaiah 41:10

Annual Supporting Member
aarospoon13 is BST Legit
aarospoon13 supports Ninja Paintball
Great stuff mr Fresh man! Appreciate your putting all that together. Still waiting for the purge and valve to go to market. Going to run my Gold Bolt through the paces this weekend and see how it all runs. Would love the rest of it though.

Thanks again!
aarospoon13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 08:31 AM #9
gretch6364

Wonder why the valve has slightly different dimensions.
gretch6364 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 01:00 PM #10
The_Fresh
Doug

Annual Supporting Member
 plays in the NXL
You're welcome guys. Hope it all helped!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noa Bo View Post
Yes, good stuff. Thank you. I went to practice tonight and got to play through a whole case with the new gold bolt. It was hard to think of how they could improve the clone 5, but they did. The gun performed almost flawlessly. I was a little more liberal with the lube and lowered the dwell down to 10. If I waited a while I did experience a little bit of fsdo with the first shot. Consistency was again, on point. The added smoothness and lack of kick just makes this gun all the more pleasurable to use.
Yes the gold bolt is definitely great and gains are noticeable. I'd suggest lowering the dwell a tad, I actually had lower fps with higher dwell when i shot the gun at 14 ms vs 8 lol

Boston Siege
Old 07-22-2016, 01:02 PM #11
The_Fresh
Doug

Annual Supporting Member
 plays in the NXL
Quote:
Originally Posted by gretch6364 View Post
Wonder why the valve has slightly different dimensions.
The front section I'm not so sure why, but my speculation on why the rest of the valve was changed is because the delrin would be weak if it were any thinner. So they were able to achieve the same strength or more using a thinner piece of aluminum. Just my theory.

Boston Siege
Old 07-22-2016, 01:10 PM #12
HerpaDerpa
I'm pretty frisky

Annual Supporting Member
HerpaDerpa is playing at Living Legends VIII
HerpaDerpa owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
HerpaDerpa supports DLX Technology
HerpaDerpa supports Shocker RSX
HerpaDerpa supports Ninja Paintball
HerpaDerpa supports Empire
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Fresh View Post
The front section I'm not so sure why, but my speculation on why the rest of the valve was changed is because the delrin would be weak if it were any thinner. So they were able to achieve the same strength or more using a thinner piece of aluminum. Just my theory.
Pretty much. Different materials have different tensile strengths, and two separate materials will have two separate thicknesses/dimensions based on the level of duress they are placed under.

Regarding the front section of the bolt, they probably changed that dimension because it was the most consistent yield from mass production while maintaining tolerances.

MACDEV MILITIA
LUXE MOB

VALAR MORGHULIS

WWW.HVPAINTBALL.COM
HerpaDerpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 06:24 PM #13
dacrmc21

Annual Supporting Member
what's a good setting to start from besides ~10 dwell?
bolt delay, eye sensitivity, eye delay, denounce. I have them all stock. just curious what everyone is running. I'm in Florida so hot and humid at the moment.
dacrmc21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 08:50 PM #14
C@mM!

C@mM! supports Ninja Paintball
I'm going to sound like a nub, but I've always been under the assumption that lowering dwell on a dump valve marker doesn't yield any benefit?

Still, always good to see upgrades .
C@mM! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 12:06 PM #15
the other one
World Peace

the other one supports our troops
James,

When should we expect to see the purging ASA and aluminum Valve available for purchase?

the other one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 10:27 PM #16
James@MacDev
secret underground lair

Quote:
Originally Posted by the other one View Post
James,

When should we expect to see the purging ASA and aluminum Valve available for purchase?
we are working on them and we will announce soon.
Old 07-24-2016, 08:49 PM #17
tyronejk
titular

tyronejk plays in the MiLP
tyronejk is an NCPA player
tyronejk plays in the APPA D4 division
tyronejk supports Ninja Paintball
Quote:
Originally Posted by C@mM! View Post
I'm going to sound like a nub, but I've always been under the assumption that lowering dwell on a dump valve marker doesn't yield any benefit?

Still, always good to see upgrades .
For a regular dump valve marker, dwell plays a huge role in the firing cycle. As long as the bolt is forward, air will "dump" out the front of the bolt.

For guns like the Clone 5 with a valve independent of the bolt, dwell should not affect the firing cycle unless it's so low that the bolt doesn't cycle consistently.
Old 07-27-2016, 09:33 PM #18
AZ Blake

AZ Blake plays in the APPA beginner division
AZ Blake supports Ninja Paintball
Hey James, I just wanted to get an official word on what the Gold Bolt's performance gains are. Other than dropping dwell, what does this bolt deliver?

I hate to sound like a naysayer, but I'm somewhat skeptical if this is worth the money as:
1) I have watched a couple of videos (granted sound quality can vary) and I don't notice a significant pitch change.

2)I haven't seen anyone do an efficiency test yet, however dropping dwell on this marker theoretically, as mentioned above, should not make any significant improvements on the maker.

I'd love to hear your official input on what we can expect.

Thanks!
Old 07-27-2016, 10:22 PM #19
James@MacDev
secret underground lair

All the info is on the site.
(http://store.macdev.net/Clone_5_Gold_Bolt_p/x5gb.htm)

The gold bolt has an increased squeeze on the switch O-ring and a decreased groove for the bumper to allow for the larger O-ring size. the bolts come with a spare set of O-rings and tip. You can order spares from the site anytime.

We cannot give a time frame on how this will last, it all depends on how often you clean and lube the bolt. Dirt is the enemy of O-rings and will wear them faster.

Everything depends on how you want to set your gun up. We have players running low dwells with reduced kick and sound sig and other players running higher dwells for reliability.

You cant really trust videos as every microphone gives a different sound.

Efficiency wise we are getting reports of good efficiency with a low dwell. You must maintain the drive to keep this reliable.