Old 11-15-2009, 12:45 PM #22
ChopsTSSOC
TSSOC

ChopsTSSOC helped look for balloons
ChopsTSSOC is playing at Living Legends III
sweet spam dude!
Old 11-15-2009, 12:53 PM #23
hiddenphantom

The ACU's are okay, but the MARPAT is much better for the woods of New England. We had the Army cadets from West Point come down for a Scenario last month and they were very easy to identify at long ranges (relative). All good though because they were on my team.
Old 11-15-2009, 12:54 PM #24
BobLong435 (Banned)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChopsTSSOC View Post
sweet spam dude!
I was trying to express the fact that no matter how much common sense I throw your way you simply overlook it and continue on with your ignorant ramblings about blue uniforms.

Hence, the face-palm.
BobLong435 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 12:56 PM #25
BobLong435 (Banned)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiddenphantom View Post
The ACU's are okay, but the MARPAT is much better for the woods of New England. We had the Army cadets from West Point come down for a Scenario last month and they were very easy to identify at long ranges (relative). All good though because they were on my team.
In reality unless you are completely still you're going to be scene whether in a yellow shirt or the world's greatest camo.

Your best strategy is get some actual paintball gear and be the first to shoot.

The poll just shows how many marine corps sack riders there are on the forum though.
Old 11-15-2009, 01:02 PM #26
ChopsTSSOC
TSSOC

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobLong435 View Post
I was trying to express the fact that no matter how much common sense I throw your way you simply overlook it and continue on with your ignorant ramblings about blue uniforms.

Hence, the face-palm.
A) the moon-camo was a joke, first of all, and my first post in this thread, so I'm not sure why you jumped on me about ignorant ramblings about "blue" camo...

B) as a member of a team who wore ACU for 3 years and are now wearing multi-cam, I have personal experience (and a valid opinion) on its effectiveness.

C) I have no affiliation with either the Army or the USMC nor do I "ride the junk" of either.

D) Chill out my man. it's a forum for people to express their opinions. it's gonna happen whether you agree or not! So go back and reread my post about ACUs being kickass on the moon, laugh at it, and move on!
Old 11-15-2009, 01:10 PM #27
hiddenphantom

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobLong435 View Post
In reality unless you are completely still you're going to be scene whether in a yellow shirt or the world's greatest camo.
For the most part you half right. being completely still is a very effective way to not be seen due to the human's eye being attracted to motion. But a good camo is also very effective to minimize that attraction. The ACU's are designed for more of a holding/defensive aspect while the MARPAT is more of an aggressive moving camo. The NWU or Navy Camo is to camo paint splatter, grease, and dirt on the uniform. As far as the Marine sack crap umm.. nope sorry. I just have worked/played against all branches and some special forces guy, (SEALs like paintball too who knew). This is just my observation of what works and what doesn't. Also, the army soldiers have stated how they don't work in the field also. So, you can't polish a turd.
Old 11-15-2009, 01:18 PM #28
BobLong435 (Banned)

Quote:
A) the moon-camo was a joke, first of all, and my first post in this thread, so I'm not sure why you jumped on me about ignorant ramblings about "blue" camo...

B) as a member of a team who wore ACU for 3 years and are now wearing multi-cam, I have personal experience (and a valid opinion) on its effectiveness.

C) I have no affiliation with either the Army or the USMC nor do I "ride the junk" of either.

D) Chill out my man. it's a forum for people to express their opinions. it's gonna happen whether you agree or not! So go back and reread my post about ACUs being kickass on the moon, laugh at it, and move on!
Ever spend all day arguing with someone else on another forum, then come in and vent your frustration on some random person who disagreed with you?

That happened here.
Old 11-15-2009, 01:20 PM #29
ChopsTSSOC
TSSOC

nope. never.

It's paintball man! relax and enjoy!
Old 11-15-2009, 01:28 PM #30
BobLong435 (Banned)

Quote:
nope. never.

It's paintball man! relax and enjoy!
Old 11-15-2009, 01:32 PM #31
ChopsTSSOC
TSSOC

yup. I don't really sit on forums and argue. not my style. have a good one!
Old 11-27-2009, 12:18 AM #32
Rcp_90
Jambo

Congress recently told the Army to get rid of ACU's, specifically because they don't blend into anything at all. It was in the news about a month ago, the specific gripe being that ACU's don't blend into any of the terrain types in Afghanistan. There are 2 battalions over there right now that are/will be issued experimental other patterns to see if they work any better. 1 is Multicam, the other I don't remember.

And speaking from personal experience, I always felt that ACU's were basically like painting an enormous bullseye on myself. They blend into gravel pits and each other, and that's about it. I honestly wish we could have Marpat because it blends in better (and also because you can roll up the sleeves... seriously, what sick mother****er designed a uniform for the desert that you can't roll up the sleeves?!?)

The only reason I ever play paintball in ACU's is because I have a few pairs from Iraq that I've stopped caring about and don't mind if they get torn up. As soon as I get out, I'm donating the rest to the homeless.

A CO Commander- ION '09-Stalingrad '09
BEST DRESSED- ION 09

Fact: Skirmish USA is a proud supporter of PETA, the ACLU, and Al-Queda
Rcp_90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 12:37 AM #33
dsr30

I vote for marpat.

www.42ndlegion.com

Amateurs train until they get the drill right, professionals train until they can't get it wrong.
dsr30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 09:27 AM #34
hiddenphantom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rcp_90 View Post
also because you can roll up the sleeves... seriously, what sick mother****er designed a uniform for the desert that you can't roll up the sleeves?!?)

Probably someone who knew that the ACU was a very bad idea and decided to make a few changes that he thought the ARMY would never be dumb enough to accept, oops. lol
Old 11-27-2009, 06:35 PM #35
Rcp_90
Jambo

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiddenphantom View Post
Probably someone who knew that the ACU was a very bad idea and decided to make a few changes that he thought the ARMY would never be dumb enough to accept, oops. lol
I use the words "dumb" and "Army" interchangeably. It probably wouldn't shock you to find out I declined to reenlist.

A CO Commander- ION '09-Stalingrad '09
BEST DRESSED- ION 09

Fact: Skirmish USA is a proud supporter of PETA, the ACLU, and Al-Queda
Rcp_90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 04:58 AM #36
[NA]WARLORD

[NA]WARLORD is a founding member
 has been a member for 10 years
[NA]WARLORD has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
[NA]WARLORD supports Empire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marq6Tech View Post
Being a marine myself,
DEP Marine or an actual Marine ? Because from your paragraph, you sure do have a lot to learn son.

Quote:
1. Marpat is either green or tan. Each style has its own role, depending on climate and surroundings. The ACUs are grey, and you never see grey in the desert, and seldomly see it in the woods. Unless you're searching for someone wearing ACU's, which would lead to you undoubtedly finding them.
You have never been to the desert then, rocks are gray, decaying plants are grey.Also, gray is in the woods too, ever seen tree bark ? The ACU's were developed for desert countries, since that's where we have been fighting for the last 20 or so years.

Quote:
3. I'm not hating on the army or anything, but I think it's kinda common knowledge that the Marine Corps is the more job-specific fighting force. We kill, it's just what we do. That's why the marine corps doesn't have cooks or medics. We let the navy take care of it because we're busy killing ****. Why would we use anything but the best for what we do? That's why I think marpat is better. I'd like to hear some thoughts on this-
MARPAT is based off of Canadas version called CADPAT. Both are very dark, the woods patterns and like all camoflauge, only works when your sitting still. How many Marines do you know that sit still in the woods ? None, because we are hard chargers. I prefer the CADPAT as it has lighter tones of green and tan in them for playing down here in the Tropics. BTW, the only Navy cooks are the ones on ship, get off the boat, and walk into a chow hall on base and see who cooks your food, boot.

MOS 3381
[NA]WARLORD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 03:39 PM #37
rammstein_5v2
Idontfeelanditfeelsgreat

Marpat, the only time i've blended into anything with my acu's is when i jump into a crowd of other soldiers.

Don't knock the velcro, that **** is convenient when you have other gear in your pocket since you don't have to button it, when you get up to move it pretty much closes itself, of course the opposite effect happens sometimes too.

Don't forget multicam, it seems to be pretty damn good if your in the right environment.

Doesn't the navy's new **** turn orange or some **** when you come in contact with saltwater?

How consistent
How can someone so consistently mess up as much as
Every instance
How can someone inconsistent mess up so consistently

Last edited by rammstein_5v2 : 12-08-2009 at 03:42 PM.
rammstein_5v2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 04:41 PM #38
hiddenphantom

Quote:
Originally Posted by rammstein_5v2 View Post
Marpat, the only time i've blended into anything with my acu's is when i jump into a crowd of other soldiers.

Don't knock the velcro, that **** is convenient when you have other gear in your pocket since you don't have to button it, when you get up to move it pretty much closes itself, of course the opposite effect happens sometimes too.

Don't forget multicam, it seems to be pretty damn good if your in the right environment.

Doesn't the navy's new **** turn orange or some **** when you come in contact with saltwater?
Hell no it doesn't. That way we can sneak on pirates,

Hey is that guy playing Xbox during a firefight?? Just kidding I know its one of the little robot controls.
Old 02-06-2010, 04:57 AM #39
Graybass_20x6
Captain

This debate seems to be over UCP (Universal Camouflage Pattern) and MARPAT (Marine Pattern), unless this is truly referring to coat types.

ACU is referring to a uniform type attributed to the U.S. Army, replacing the BDU. The ACU has hook and loop (velcro) for pockets, rank insignia, etc. Notably the ACU has a mandarin collar, and is zipped up, rather than buttoned. The Marine Corps uniform is referred to as the MCCUU (Marine Corps Combat Utility Uniform).

Obviously, I prefer MARPAT over UCP. I have done some field testing with an ACU coat with the UCP pattern on, and it is somewhat effective in desert environs, and definitely lacking in others. My MARPAT has been proven much more effective in both desert and wooded environs over UCP.

The other coat in the pictures is an ACU coat with a subdued digital pattern on it. It was designed by the Marine Corps, but never was approved as a camouflage design and fell to the civilian market.

When it comes to the coats themselves, I have a mixed preference. Although my ACU coat lacks most of the velcro, it fits very nicely. The mandarin collar is a surprising plus, and it is not as weighty as the MCCUU. The zipper and velcro is not as cumbersome as one would think. ACU pants also come equipped with a drawstring alongside a button fly, two more pockets, and pull strings in case you lack boot ties.

Multicam is also a great alternative, and has been approved (albeit, slightly redesigned to keep with British DPM traditions) for British troops as Multi-Terrain Pattern.
Spyder Xtra Psycho Special
Spyder TL Relic
PMI Tagmaster
Graybass_20x6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 05:31 PM #40
starkc
ver d.3.1.0

Quote:
So I've never done a poll... figured I'd start somewhere. The question has been asked a thousand times, I'm sure. Well, maybe not a thousand. Which is better for cover/concealment: Marine Corps Pattern (MARPAT,) or the Army Combat Uniform? Being a marine myself, I'm a little too biased to be making that call. I do have my opinion, and that would be the marpat is better. Why?

1. Marpat is either green or tan. Each style has its own role, depending on climate and surroundings. The ACUs are grey, and you never see grey in the desert, and seldomly see it in the woods. Unless you're searching for someone wearing ACU's, which would lead to you undoubtedly finding them.

2. Real ACU's, the ones worn by soldiers, have VELCRO all over them. Yes, velcro. Why? Who knows. Whoever's idea it was to have the loudest form of attaching/detaching something to fabric on a combat uniform isn't too bright. If I know scenario players, they want the closest to real, if not the real thing... so be prepared to crunch with every step you take.

3. I'm not hating on the army or anything, but I think it's kinda common knowledge that the Marine Corps is the more job-specific fighting force. We kill, it's just what we do. That's why the marine corps doesn't have cooks or medics. We let the navy take care of it because we're busy killing ****. Why would we use anything but the best for what we do? That's why I think marpat is better. I'd like to hear some thoughts on this-
1. Yeah ACUs tend towards the craptastic. But they are not gray, they are GREEN. It's like 4 shades of green together. They aren't great, but work well enough, especially when they get worn out and dirty.

2. Velcro is actually awesome. Yeah it wears out, yeah buttons are quieter, but that's not the point. The point was to hand pockets that can be accessed fast, even with gloves on. Maybe I'm a bit long in the tooth here, but I remember modifying my BDU's to have velcro slash pockets on my chest and shoulders plus left thigh pocket. They are easier to access especially when wearing armor. But that's the pockets. Yeah, velcroing your rank and tapes is retarded IMHO. Agreed. But it doesn't "crunch" when you move in them. So.. I guess I'll also point out that the Army and AF weren't the only dudes doing this; Recon Marines, Navy SPW and EOD were doing it too.. and still are.. Also, take a gander at the Marine Combat shirt, the shoulder pockets are velcro..

Believe it or not, there's smart people working on this stuff.

3. You're not bashing on anybody.... except for support personnel? And everyone who doesn't have the great fortune of being in the "more job-specific fighting force"? Dude. What an ignorant thing to say. Want a tip? Guys who talk up on killing are regarded as genuine tools. The real professionals are going to look at you and roll their eyes. Sounds to me like you're either a reservist whose never deployed or JUST recently signed up; and if no, and I'm wrong in that; then I am surprised that an NCO hasn't corrected you and that people tolerate you.

Not that I am biased, being in the AF and my job being primarily to integrate with Army maneuver units and bring them the gift of CAS, I find myself wearing whatever is functional or everyone else is wearing (which has meant everything from bdus to flightsuits to marpats to multicam). Since being the dick on the birthdaycake as it were can get you shot, and I understand that getting shot sucks.

Mister, We Deal in Lead
Team Ragnarok
The thing that makes a man into a professional is the software.
"Here is my personal advice; be a man. Don't come down here expecting **** for free, don't feel it is your right to be treated well, and exercise some freaking integrity."
TSgt B. Murray
starkc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 05:40 PM #41
starkc
ver d.3.1.0

Oh, and I forgot to mention that the Marines DO IN FACT have cooks. I've eaten their food at a JCOP (or whatever they call it, it's all the same to me) in Fallujia. Whereas the ARMY usually have food prepared, even on the little Company JCOPs and Camps, by contractors.

Mister, We Deal in Lead
Team Ragnarok
The thing that makes a man into a professional is the software.
"Here is my personal advice; be a man. Don't come down here expecting **** for free, don't feel it is your right to be treated well, and exercise some freaking integrity."
TSgt B. Murray
starkc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 06:21 PM #42
Graybass_20x6
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by starkc View Post
Also, take a gander at the Marine Combat shirt, the shoulder pockets are velcro..
That would be the chest pockets. The shoulder pockets are buttoned.
Spyder Xtra Psycho Special
Spyder TL Relic
PMI Tagmaster
Graybass_20x6 is offline   Reply With Quote