Find fields and stores
Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 10-08-2009, 10:11 PM #22
russianlegion3

just looked at a .5 caliber paintball, it's not as small as everybody thinks.

I don't understand why people are going ape **** about it.
russianlegion3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 10-08-2009, 11:25 PM #23
jerseypb29

jerseypb29 plays in the PSP
jerseypb29 helped look for balloons
jerseypb29 plays in the APPA D5 division
Quote:
Originally Posted by lioutlaws316 View Post
kinda or if we give our .68 parts then they give us .50 and then the melt the parts and make new ones so they dont loose
they cant just melt down the parts and then produce smaller ones at no cost.
jerseypb29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 12:13 AM #24
PureBlue22

Pbnation really is not the most mature of places. You can't really have a logical conversation without someone saying f the .50 round "nuff said." Hardly anyone has seen, shot, or played a game with this new round. Yet somehow it is going to ruin paintball. It is absolutely too early to make a decision. Instead of waiting and seeing what this new technology brings, others decide to sign a petition to stop the atrocity that is .50 caliber paintballs.
PureBlue22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 12:55 AM #25
tankthefreak
clique paintball

personally as a player and someone that works around it , fields are really going to have the trouble with it do to the fact of how many rentals they have to change over to this , maybe they will make upgrade kits for this for guns , so people wont go ape **** anymore , but u know how **** works in the industry they want more money and i dont blame people for wanting 2 quit iv been playin ball for 9 years now ya to some of u thats not that much , but when u play everyweekend and also work around it 24/7 9 full years is alot of time into this , i like the idea of cheaper and more for ur buck , but they could do the same thing with.68 as they are doing with .50 how many of u really know how much fields or stores pay for there paint , its no where near how much we pay for it at the fields or stores try most paint dont cost more then 30 a case , and if u think im crazy go take a look at RPS paint its no more then 30 a case and most fields just for recs pay that u look at 45 a case for premium paint , so really we are just paying everyone elses bills for paying 55 or 65 a case and u add ur taxes on 2 , so ya so if it is cheaper do u really think we are going to be paying cheaper at the fields/stores
tankthefreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 01:00 AM #26
tankthefreak
clique paintball

so lets just keep with the old stuff and demand more for ower money we eather work hard for it , or are pimps like me and it falls into ur hands , so ya think about it people eather change all ur gears over to .50 and pay just as much as u would for ur gear as u pay for paint or keep it the same and demand more for the cold hard cash u have to fork up just to play
tankthefreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 08:52 AM #27
whiteyg0tgame
gotgamegotgamegotgame

whiteyg0tgame has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
whiteyg0tgame has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
So you've played paintball and have been employed at a field from the age of 9-19 and here you are poorly spelling out how business is ran? Paint is a main source of income at most fields and that's why there is a difference in price between the owner and consumer. If a case of .50 cal cost less than a case of .68 cal for an owner he would still mark up the price, but that mark up would still be less than .68. For example, .68 costs $15 for the owner, and $40 for us. .50 cal would cost $20 for the owner and $45 for us... that's 2000 .68 for $40 and 4000 of .50 for $45. The owner still profits and we still save.
Old 10-09-2009, 10:09 AM #28
Panthrprey

There isn't that large a markup on paint

Where is this $40 for 4000 rounds coming from at this time its the same price or higher as normal paint?

Fields make more money on air and rental fees than a player buying paint a case at a time.
Panthrprey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 10:49 AM #29
thespawn078
~Mai Tais & Garlic Fries~

My .02 on .50 Caliber

I have been reading/skimming over most threads about .50 caliber paintball "this" and .50 caliber paintball "that", and I've come to the conclusion that the OP has. It's merely an option.

.68 caliber paintball has been the norm for years and years, and I think that it would be absolutely ridiculous for it to phase out completely because of a new idea of making things smaller. The companies that support .50 caliber paintball are also trying to think about the best way to attract more players, keep the ones they got, and make things more affordable in the long run for themselves and the consumer.

As for fields and field owners, it is entirely up to them whether or not they want to make the switch because as the OP has said (and I agree with), it's an option. The only issue I can really see is making sure there aren't any "mixed" games going on (i.e. .50 vs. .68, unless that's acceptable, I don't know) and making sure that their customers with .68 guns/set-ups can still utilize the fields as much as those with .50.

I know that there are lots of people who are moaning and groaning about .50 caliber paintball because:

A.) They just dropped a large wad of $$$ on a new gat/setup that's .68 caliber.
B.) They're afraid that the local field in their hometown (or wherever it is they play) is going to switch to .50 caliber only and not allow the .68 guns/paint to be used or to be extremely limited in their use.
C.) They don't want to drop another large wad of $$$ for a new gat/setup or conversion kit for their current gat/setup.

While I agree that having to purchase a conversion kit is going to be a little bit of an inconvenience (though probably decently affordable if you think about it) for those of you with newer guns, think about all of us that have older guns like Vikings. AKA doesn't have any plans for a conversion kit that I know of, so does that mean I'm screwed? The answer is maybe; depending on my local field's choices (which I don't believe will change anyway), but if I must go out and purchase a .50 caliber marker just to play, why the hell not? If it can technically be cheaper to make, then it can be more affordably priced for the consumer, right?

Lastly, IF .68 caliber paintball is to go completely out the window (which I don't think would be wise for the industry), then all of your .68 guns, hoppers, etc. will immediately be worth a metric butt-ton of $$$ anyway, right?

Last edited by thespawn078 : 10-09-2009 at 10:54 AM.
thespawn078 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 01:12 PM #30
Soul06
The Last Thing You'll See

has been a member for 10 years
Soul06 owns a Planet Eclipse CSL
Soul06 owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
Soul06 supports Empire
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteyg0tgame View Post
Dye, GI, Smart Parts, Planet Eclipse, and Kingman all have their hand in this pot to date. What do you have to say blindly about those companies as well?
Here is the problem with your post. Of all the companies you names ONLY GI Milsim and Kingman is backing this.

Planet Eclipse has issued NO statement of support
Dye has issued NO statement of support
Smart Parts has issued NO statement of support.

Read this post:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean@smartpartswest View Post
#3 - The was a brain child of Richmond Italia, NOT Smart Parts. We are just helping out engineering the markers and hard goods.

Everyone says 50 cal is being Hyped alot. It has not been hyped THAT much. I have seen much worse.. LOL. Like I said.. PAST! SP Has had NOTHING to do with the "hyping" of 50 cal. The only one saying anything from the SP Camp is me personally.
PE and possibly Dye, though nothing has been officially stated yet, are developing a kit that can be used for conversion IF .50 becomes a reality. Preparing for a possible eventuality is not the same as supporting the move. They are simply making sure that IF it happens they are not left behind.

Custom Ano'd Prestige CSL w/ Dart Kit - Midnight Superblue LV1
Obnoxious, NY - High Velocity, NY - Liberty, NY - Cousins, NY - Top Gun, NJ
On Target, NJ - Accurate, NJ - Skirmish, PA - CPX Sports, IL - Paintball Explosion, IL - P&L, MA - Pev's, VA

Soul06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 01:17 PM #31
Soul06

Soul06 supports Empire
Quote:
Originally Posted by thespawn078 View Post
The answer is maybe; depending on my local field's choices (which I don't believe will change anyway), but if I must go out and purchase a .50 caliber marker just to play, why the hell not? If it can technically be cheaper to make, then it can be more affordably priced for the consumer, right?
That rationale doesn't really compute. Why would a .50 marker cost less then a .68 cal marker? Both have the exact same operation just a slightly smaller bore. Reality ios you would very likely pay just as much (Brand X) .50cal marker as you would for that same (Brand X) .68cal marker

On Target, NJ - Accurate, NJ - Skirmish, PA - CPX Sports, IL - Paintball Explosion, IL - P&L, MA - Pev's, VA

Old 10-09-2009, 01:28 PM #32
thenextlevel

If it performs as well as .68 cal and is less expensive how could it hurt the sport? I know I would be able to play more and convince more of my friends to play if it costs less. I play at KPS in Richmond sometimes, great field, but having to pay $25 for admin and air and $50ish for a case of paint makes for an expensive day. I understand they have a business to run and I pay to play and don't complain. But how can you argue that if it was cheaper that it would hurt the sport? Be open minded people....
thenextlevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 01:47 PM #33
whiteyg0tgame
gotgamegotgamegotgame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soul06 View Post
Here is the problem with your post. Of all the companies you names ONLY GI Milsim and Kingman is backing this.

Planet Eclipse has issued NO statement of support
Dye has issued NO statement of support
Smart Parts has issued NO statement of support.

Read this post:

PE and possibly Dye, though nothing has been officially stated yet, are developing a kit that can be used for conversion IF .50 becomes a reality. Preparing for a possible eventuality is not the same as supporting the move. They are simply making sure that IF it happens they are not left behind.
You're right. My mistake. What I should have said was... Planet Eclipse already developed a conversion kit, Dye is already modifying the Rotor and working on a bolt insert kit, Smart Parts is helping with the production behind it... but no, they are not supporting it. They are just creating a market for it.

Haha. Just because they aren't creating hype about it, oh wait, they are. They released pictures of the .50 cal Impulse, .50 cal Ego, and info about the Rotor conversion. They are adding to the hype.

Like I said... Dye, Planet Eclipse, Smart Parts, G.I., Kingman.
Old 10-09-2009, 01:49 PM #34
thespawn078
~Mai Tais & Garlic Fries~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soul06 View Post
That rationale doesn't really compute. Why would a .50 marker cost less then a .68 cal marker? Both have the exact same operation just a slightly smaller bore. Reality ios you would very likely pay just as much (Brand X) .50cal marker as you would for that same (Brand X) .68cal marker
You're right. Forgive my twisted logic about the markers costing less to buy. I was more less ranting about how everyone seems to be treating this .50 caliber issue like it's the new "Y2K Scare".
thespawn078 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 01:52 PM #35
TheSpy11
I see you...

Announcing conversion kits is a PR move to retain business. That way any new buyers can be assured that their purchase will not be obsolete. It's just reassurance for the consumer, not necessarily support for the option.
TheSpy11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 01:57 PM #36
whiteyg0tgame
gotgamegotgamegotgame

Saying you'll support the platform says that you support the product. If they didn't believe the product was going to make headway and create a market they wouldn't waste money on the development, production, and release of new technology to support .50.
Old 10-09-2009, 03:14 PM #37
tornadoes72
Stay classy-PBNation

tornadoes72 has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
i have an ego so i will just get the kit for it if .50 makes the cut. i would just be happy because of the price drop. less money means more playin for me. and ur right, the .68 wont dissapear so if .50 kills itself we will still have the .68 to use. whut we know works
Old 10-09-2009, 04:09 PM #38
Soul06

Soul06 supports Empire
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteyg0tgame View Post
Saying you'll support the platform says that you support the product. If they didn't believe the product was going to make headway and create a market they wouldn't waste money on the development, production, and release of new technology to support .50.
Um no its actually NOT. If .50 becomes reality in order to remain a relevant company they have to make a kit/marker otherwise they become obsolete. That is not the same as saying they support the move. Nicky T posted himself saying that PE has nothing to do with pushing .50 but if it happens they are just making sure their markers are still compatible.

PE isn't producing any .50 kits. They made a sample to show that it COULD be done so that those with Egos will still have usable markers. But at this moment they are producing NO kits nor have they announced any planned production or sale.

That's simple logic. Not hard to understand.

Old 10-09-2009, 07:49 PM #39
whiteyg0tgame
gotgamegotgamegotgame

You're an idiot and talking with big letters doesn't make you smarter. Planet Eclipse released pictures of the .50 cal conversion kit. The barrel, bolt, insert, etc. By doing that they fed into the media hype. Whether or not they meant to or intending on supporting it doesn't ****ing matter. That's like me saying I don't support Obama, but I voted for him just in case he actually did become president. Maybe if it were simple logic you'd be right. Apparently this is a little over your head because you don't understand the market and taking advantage of mediums (or misusing them).
Old 10-09-2009, 10:00 PM #40
SuperDuperBaller (Banned)

SuperDuperBaller helped look for balloons
I shot one at cup today. I liked it but I hope 68 cal isn't affected in any way what so ever (price, avalability). I wouldn't mind a 50 cal gun.

edit: planet eclipse has a conversion kit for the egos that has a new feedneck, breach, bolt, and barrel for roughly $150. Shot a test model and I wasn't impressed with it.

Last edited by SuperDuperBaller : 10-09-2009 at 10:06 PM.
SuperDuperBaller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 11:36 PM #41
Panthrprey

Super what did you like about the .50cal ?? did you range test it or just shoot it at close range?? Was it hard to see flying at your target??

what were your testing/shooting enviroment??
Panthrprey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 11:46 PM #42
SuperDuperBaller (Banned)

SuperDuperBaller helped look for balloons
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panthrprey View Post
Super what did you like about the .50cal ?? did you range test it or just shoot it at close range?? Was it hard to see flying at your target??

what were your testing/shooting enviroment??
The gun (called a nano) didn't move when I shot it and it was super accurate. And it was just on a range test. Also, it wasn't hard to see the paint hit, if you shot a 50 cal paintball next to a 68 and looked at the splat, they are VERY similar in size. I think it will be just as easy to see a hit with a 50 cal as it us with a 68
SuperDuperBaller is offline   Reply With Quote