Annual Supporting Member
Castro #66 is a Moderator
Castro #66 is a Supporting Member
Castro #66 is playing at Living Legends VII
Castro #66 supports Bob Gurnsey
Castro #66 is one of the top 500 posters on PbNation
Castro #66 is Legendary
Castro #66 is attending Decay of Nations VII
I'm sorry, but ignoring the other unproven claims of this round, there is no way a 1.3 gram projectile will mark close to the same size as a 3.2 gram projectile. For those who aren't math majors, that's less than half the weight of the .68 caliber round. While I appreciate that the shell constitutes a large(ish) part of that, the math doesn't make sense. Putting a good .68 caliber break up against a good .50 caliber break can't possibly be close.

Castro #66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 09:00 PM #23
shocktrooper
no stinkin' Badges

Hello Everyone,

Well I don't come to the forum for a few days while I am chasing dinos and look what pops up.

First of all, I have actually PLAYED with 50 cal back in the day using Budd's Sniper. In the 80's 50 cal held the same hope it does today, a way to sell cheaper paint and get more of it in the gun. Back then it was a double bonus since a 12 gram would fire a whole lot more 50's than 68's. As you can imagine, the 50 had piss poor accuracy and didn't break. It was quickly given up on along with 62 cal. promoted by Tippmann.

My read of the story tells me something different that I will SPECULATE on. Richmond sold his company from what I understand, and likely has a specific non-compete. The 50 cal ball probably gets around this and this could be the major motivation. I know personally because we have the same thing between Pepper Ball and FN, in our case the weight of the ball makes the difference.

I have to think that as you have already speculated, they took the ability to make fragile paint and mixed in a heavy fill to get a small 3.3 gram paintball. This should in fact be more accurate and fly farther at the same velocity. The reduction in frontal area is a big plus and the issues with a smaller ball and vortex shedding should not negate all of those gains.

The big trick will be to see if they break well. With a 50 you are distributing the energy no matter what over a smaller area. The smaller shape of the ball makes it inherently harder to break all things being equal. I don't think you can go much thinner in the paint shell and still be able to seal it together so they are probably making the shell tensile strength weaker. By my estimations they will hurt more with 3.3 grams at 300 fps.

The fill will absolutely be the most challenging part hands down. I calculated that a 50 has .07 cu inch of fill against the 68 at .16. So a bit better than 2-1. In order to make a heavier 50, you have to come up with a NON-TOXIC fill that's TWICE as heavy. This is no easy task. Most liquids hover around a specific gravity of 1-1.5 ish. There are liquids that get up to 2.0 but they are all toxic that I know of. We used liquids to 3.0 in the early 90's when we were investigating paintball accuracy and I still have the stuff today because you can't throw it away.

So here is the specific problem the way I see it. In order to up the weight of the fill you have to put some type of particle in it. Ground rock, powdered metal (bismuth) etc. We went down this road, the problem was that we could never inject a slurry through a needle without the needle plugging up no matter what we did. Eventually we gave up and put the powder in first and the fluid in after. Today's gelatin machines absolutely depend on a needle injecting the fluid into the ball as it pinches off the seam. I am dying to see how they accomplish this but Richmond has some pretty smart people around him.

Other problems you don't think about are things like the size of the holes in the mask. A 50 can squeeze through a pretty small hole in a rubber mask guard. My question is who is going to build a motorized hopper for these guns???

The can fit way more holes in the drum of the gelatin machine so the output per hour per machine will probably be more than double having an impact on cost. The fill has to add to the price so we will see how it shakes out. Remember to calculate the price per POUND of 50 vs 68 paintballs to see if there was really an economic advantage.

In the final equation my personal opinion is that its a bad idea for paintball only because it puts us that much closer to airsoft. If cheaper smaller balls are a good idea, why not get the cheapest smallest balls you can find (airsoft)? We already made the guns look mil-sim and hands down the airsoft guns look cooler and go full auto. So I don't personally understand it but hey, Richmond made WAY more money in paintball than I ever did so he must see things I don't.

My final comment. Everyone seems to agree that the paintball industry has been in trouble for some time. If I was god-of-paintball and wanted to get the industry going. I would get all the existing manufacturers together and force them to agree to licensing anyone their patents for 5 years for a dollar. This would bring a flurry of new businesses back into the market and you would have a flood of new products and cool ideas. In my opinion, that would help paintball more than anything.

AGD

-----------------------------------

this was Tom Kaye's opinion on 50 cal

Last edited by shocktrooper : 10-08-2009 at 09:04 PM.
shocktrooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 09:06 PM #24
[MOOSE]

Quote:
Originally Posted by kill-n-spree View Post
If the 50 cal catches on and they stop making 68 cal paint then everything you currently own will be obsolete.I can't really see that ever happening.
That isn't really true I am sure anyone with a milling machine can come up with some custom breeches and what not to make them compatible. I mean look at some of the custom milled guns do you really think they can not make a conversion kit for most guns?
[MOOSE] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 09:18 PM #25
OUTCAST-EMPIRE123
wtf you lookin at

Quote:
Originally Posted by jake55 View Post
.68 is NOT going to stop being made - therefor it's a relative example. When electro came out people did not try to force it to stop because it was a better product, and you could choose either or.

This is the same situation, a better product(like I said, it's better if we assume there claims are true) has come about... no one should want it gone for any reason.
thats an opinion. .50cal can put some paint companies out of business making .68 cal vanish. think about .50 cal like the tobacco company, they dont care about their customers, obviously, their in it for the money. easily available sources to get, cheap to make, mark up the price, and double their profits. same goes for .50 cal, make it less expensive for themselves so they can make it more expensive for us.
OUTCAST-EMPIRE123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 09:34 PM #26
shocktrooper
no stinkin' Badges

Quote:
Originally Posted by OUTCAST-EMPIRE123 View Post
thats an opinion. .50cal can put some paint companies out of business making .68 cal vanish. think about .50 cal like the tobacco company, they dont care about their customers, obviously, their in it for the money. easily available sources to get, cheap to make, mark up the price, and double their profits. same goes for .50 cal, make it less expensive for themselves so they can make it more expensive for us.

I'm not sure smart parts wants to get you addicted to 50 cal and cause you to get lung cancer.
shocktrooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 01:42 AM #27
cornchips
got any dip?

cornchips is playing at Living Legends III
Quote:
Originally Posted by shocktrooper View Post
Hello Everyone,

Well I don't come to the forum for a few days while I am chasing dinos and look what pops up.

First of all, I have actually PLAYED with 50 cal back in the day using Budd's Sniper. In the 80's 50 cal held the same hope it does today, a way to sell cheaper paint and get more of it in the gun. Back then it was a double bonus since a 12 gram would fire a whole lot more 50's than 68's. As you can imagine, the 50 had piss poor accuracy and didn't break. It was quickly given up on along with 62 cal. promoted by Tippmann.

My read of the story tells me something different that I will SPECULATE on. Richmond sold his company from what I understand, and likely has a specific non-compete. The 50 cal ball probably gets around this and this could be the major motivation. I know personally because we have the same thing between Pepper Ball and FN, in our case the weight of the ball makes the difference.

I have to think that as you have already speculated, they took the ability to make fragile paint and mixed in a heavy fill to get a small 3.3 gram paintball. This should in fact be more accurate and fly farther at the same velocity. The reduction in frontal area is a big plus and the issues with a smaller ball and vortex shedding should not negate all of those gains.

The big trick will be to see if they break well. With a 50 you are distributing the energy no matter what over a smaller area. The smaller shape of the ball makes it inherently harder to break all things being equal. I don't think you can go much thinner in the paint shell and still be able to seal it together so they are probably making the shell tensile strength weaker. By my estimations they will hurt more with 3.3 grams at 300 fps.

The fill will absolutely be the most challenging part hands down. I calculated that a 50 has .07 cu inch of fill against the 68 at .16. So a bit better than 2-1. In order to make a heavier 50, you have to come up with a NON-TOXIC fill that's TWICE as heavy. This is no easy task. Most liquids hover around a specific gravity of 1-1.5 ish. There are liquids that get up to 2.0 but they are all toxic that I know of. We used liquids to 3.0 in the early 90's when we were investigating paintball accuracy and I still have the stuff today because you can't throw it away.

So here is the specific problem the way I see it. In order to up the weight of the fill you have to put some type of particle in it. Ground rock, powdered metal (bismuth) etc. We went down this road, the problem was that we could never inject a slurry through a needle without the needle plugging up no matter what we did. Eventually we gave up and put the powder in first and the fluid in after. Today's gelatin machines absolutely depend on a needle injecting the fluid into the ball as it pinches off the seam. I am dying to see how they accomplish this but Richmond has some pretty smart people around him.

Other problems you don't think about are things like the size of the holes in the mask. A 50 can squeeze through a pretty small hole in a rubber mask guard. My question is who is going to build a motorized hopper for these guns???

The can fit way more holes in the drum of the gelatin machine so the output per hour per machine will probably be more than double having an impact on cost. The fill has to add to the price so we will see how it shakes out. Remember to calculate the price per POUND of 50 vs 68 paintballs to see if there was really an economic advantage.

In the final equation my personal opinion is that its a bad idea for paintball only because it puts us that much closer to airsoft. If cheaper smaller balls are a good idea, why not get the cheapest smallest balls you can find (airsoft)? We already made the guns look mil-sim and hands down the airsoft guns look cooler and go full auto. So I don't personally understand it but hey, Richmond made WAY more money in paintball than I ever did so he must see things I don't.

My final comment. Everyone seems to agree that the paintball industry has been in trouble for some time. If I was god-of-paintball and wanted to get the industry going. I would get all the existing manufacturers together and force them to agree to licensing anyone their patents for 5 years for a dollar. This would bring a flurry of new businesses back into the market and you would have a flood of new products and cool ideas. In my opinion, that would help paintball more than anything.

AGD

thank you for this
Joey aka Cornchips #12 proud member of Team Predator
teampredator 2008-Battle of the Bulge MVT
Sponsored by Predator's Den Paintball Supply, Newton, NJ
"Originally posted by PyroManiac:
TeamPredator - your reputation as an honest, hard hitting relentless bunch of killers are well deserved. I feel sorry for anyone that has to go up against a full squad of your team!
*The views expressed by Shag77 are not necessarily that of Team Predator. Any similiarites between persons live or dead is merely coincidental-Predator Legal
cornchips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 01:58 AM #28
jake55
:dodgy?:

Quote:
They don't go with airsoft size due to clear reasons - it's impossible to see a hit like that. They went with the cheapest most reasonable competitive size they can come up with.
jake55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 04:08 PM #29
OUTCAST-EMPIRE123
wtf you lookin at

Quote:
I'm not sure smart parts wants to get you addicted to 50 cal and cause you to get lung cancer.
oh no way?! I totally thought they did, my bad.
OUTCAST-EMPIRE123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 05:27 PM #30
nerve2030

Quote:
Hello Everyone,

AGD

i can not agree more especially with the licensing part. i think what were seeing in the industry is the real consequences of the sp electro patent bs. they have been driving the price of high end markers up steadily over the years to ludicrous levels (i just bought a used car for 1750 ya know thousands of precision parts and electronic sensors or i could have spent 1250 for a dozen precision part and 2 sensors. does anyone else see something wrong with this equation.). think of this if every company could make a any electro gun for 250 less on the high end or 100 less at minimum. that makes an ego 1000 and a mini 260 thats way better for the companies because you can buy a new gun for a reasonable price rather than buying used equipment. i bet their would be a big boost in profits for the companies
nerve2030 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 05:41 PM #31
soccerguy243
Air Force Paintball #19

soccerguy243 owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
soccerguy243 owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
soccerguy243 is an NCPA player
soccerguy243 plays in the APPA D5 division
Quote:
if we're going to go to 50 why not just go to airsoft pellets? why not just go to first strike type rounds?

why not? because a paintball is 68 caliber just the same as a soccer ball is 28 inches around. it's standardiZed
There are several different sized balls that are allowable. Additionally there are several different field dimensions that are allowable.

"If you're not shooting, moving or talking, you shouldn't be on the field."-Tyler Michaud
UNITED STATES AIR FORCE Pilot
soccerguy243 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 07:06 PM #32
russianlegion3

I think .50 is fine.

A lot of the people on pbnation hate change, so of course they are going to shut down whatever opposes the norm until that thing becomes the norm.

I remember when arguments sparked just from psp going down from 15 to 13 to 10. People were going ape **** about it!
russianlegion3 is offline   Reply With Quote