Find fields & stores near you!
Find fields and stores
Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 10-08-2009, 09:23 AM #64
Spock
Live Long and Bluster
 
Spock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: SE PA
Spock is a founding member
 has been a member for 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyneedspills2 View Post
no uh uh once a object is in motion its going to stay in motion sorry you get something that ways more up to 280fps its going to fly farther then something that ways less flying 280 fps i disagree.
Okay, what ever you say Einstein. If it "ways" more, it's gonna fly farther.

I guess that explains why softballs, which "way" 165 to 195 grams, fly so much faster and farther than baseballs, which only "way" about 150 grams.
__________________
"Once I make someone die, and they see me....they can't change their mind." -- God

Originally posted by matt00iconoclast:
"there are variables outside of physics that will affect the flight of the ball"
Spock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 10-08-2009, 09:26 AM #65
tonyneedspills2
nutrider
 
tonyneedspills2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: bay area, ca
dude ive shot enough paint to know that the lighter the paint the higher i have to set my settings, honestly like i dont know how to spell the word weigh. go shoot a couple reballs out your gun theres a reason you have to turn down your settings.
__________________
2 THE BATDAR!
tonyneedspills2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 09:34 AM #66
Spock
Live Long and Bluster
 
Spock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: SE PA
Spock is a founding member
 has been a member for 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyneedspills2 View Post
dude ive shot enough paint to know that the lighter the paint the higher i have to set my settings, honestly like i dont know how to spell the word weigh. go shoot a couple reballs out your gun theres a reason you have to turn down your settings.
We're not talking about reballs. Reballs are bigger than 50 caliber paintballs, and a lot less dense. You're comparing apples to oranges.

Sorry man, go take a physics class at an Ivy League university and then come back and talk to me when you get an A+.
__________________
"Once I make someone die, and they see me....they can't change their mind." -- God

Originally posted by matt00iconoclast:
"there are variables outside of physics that will affect the flight of the ball"
Spock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 09:35 AM #67
mnp8nt
There is only Zuul
 
mnp8nt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Land O Drunken Reporters
Annual Supporting Member
mnp8nt is playing at Living Legends III
mnp8nt owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
mnp8nt supports Team VICIOUS
mnp8nt is an NCPA player
mnp8nt is Legendary
mnp8nt is attending Decay of Nations VII
Thats a better insight into the idea. Figured someone would ask Tom K. eventually.
__________________
The system is down.
mnp8nt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 09:37 AM #68
Spock
Live Long and Bluster
 
Spock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: SE PA
Spock is a founding member
 has been a member for 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by mnp8nt View Post
Thats a better insight into the idea. Figured someone would ask Tom K. eventually.
He's actually not entirely correct about a lot of things there.

For instance, in order to get a 50 caliber to have comparable ballistic performance with a 68 caliber paintball, you don't need to double the density of the fill.
__________________
"Once I make someone die, and they see me....they can't change their mind." -- God

Originally posted by matt00iconoclast:
"there are variables outside of physics that will affect the flight of the ball"
Spock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 09:38 AM #69
tonyneedspills2
nutrider
 
tonyneedspills2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: bay area, ca
dude what, did you just tell me that a solid reball is less dense then a 50 call paintball. what the hell are you on.
__________________
2 THE BATDAR!
tonyneedspills2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 09:39 AM #70
Spock
Live Long and Bluster
 
Spock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: SE PA
Spock is a founding member
 has been a member for 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyneedspills2 View Post
dude what, did you just tell me that a solid reball is less dense then a 50 call paintball. what the hell are you on.
Yes, I'm pretty sure that foam rubber is in fact less dense than water.

Drop a reball in a glass of water. Does it float? If it sinks, then I'm wrong.
__________________
"Once I make someone die, and they see me....they can't change their mind." -- God

Originally posted by matt00iconoclast:
"there are variables outside of physics that will affect the flight of the ball"
Spock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 09:42 AM #71
tonyneedspills2
nutrider
 
tonyneedspills2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: bay area, ca
and your saying if i was to shoot a reball at a even 68 that the 68 would just bounce of the reball and the reball would be cut in half.
im not aruging this anymore have fun sniping with you 50cal berret
__________________
2 THE BATDAR!
tonyneedspills2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 09:43 AM #72
Spock
Live Long and Bluster
 
Spock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: SE PA
Spock is a founding member
 has been a member for 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyneedspills2 View Post
and your saying if i was to shoot a reball at a even 68 that the 68 would just bounce of the reball and the reball would be cut in half.
No, that's not what I'm saying, because I have no idea what you're talking about.
__________________
"Once I make someone die, and they see me....they can't change their mind." -- God

Originally posted by matt00iconoclast:
"there are variables outside of physics that will affect the flight of the ball"
Spock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 09:46 AM #73
mnp8nt
There is only Zuul
 
mnp8nt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Land O Drunken Reporters
Annual Supporting Member
mnp8nt is playing at Living Legends III
mnp8nt owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
mnp8nt supports Team VICIOUS
mnp8nt is an NCPA player
mnp8nt is Legendary
mnp8nt is attending Decay of Nations VII
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spock View Post
Yes, I'm pretty sure that foam rubber is in fact less dense than water.

Drop a reball in a glass of water. Does it float? If it sinks, then I'm wrong.
Im sorry ive lost all faith in your comments. Where was your early engineering research in regards to the flight paths and manufacturing expierence in owning a company? The point here is unless theres something your forgetting to mention like how your tied to this subject how can theorize over the expierence of someone who actually researched and manufactured the same product years ago ?
__________________
The system is down.
mnp8nt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 09:48 AM #74
dstanley753
XOXO ~ Mad Hatter
 
dstanley753's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: York,PA
dstanley753 posts videos on PbNation
dstanley753 supports our troops
dstanley753 has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
dstanley753 has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
dstanley753 has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
OP- I'm going to quote myself here in response to your first keyboard vomit...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dstanley753 View Post
Move along there sport. I've been playing since 91(ish) and if you truly have then you too have seen as many changes as I have. Remember when the idea of HPA came around, how about larger face masks, stronger regulations on fps? Those all met some sort of opposition. I am not a fan of the .50cal but I'm also not going to bash company for trying something new..What if James Hale listened to the public when they said a pellet shooting pistol to mark trees was dumb? What about Robert Shepherd with the Splatmaster..what a fool right! And that George Skogg making the first washable fill instead of the heavy oil base, wow what an idiot right? And don't even get me started on Dennis Tippmann and his semi-automatic pneumatic marker or those Gardeners and that odd electro-pneumatic paintball gun. They all ruined the industry right???
__________________
Reichsmarschall Goose (Ret.)
Mad Hatter, Dealer of Arms
ION '13- The BLACK FLAG WAVES...Trust us afterall we're NOT Tyrell!

GraveDiggersPaintball
Team Elder/ SGT at ARMS
dstanley753 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 09:49 AM #75
Spock
Live Long and Bluster
 
Spock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: SE PA
Spock is a founding member
 has been a member for 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by mnp8nt View Post
Im sorry ive lost all faith in your comments. Where was your early engineering research in regards to the flight paths and manufacturing expierence in owning a company? The point here is unless theres something your forgetting to mention like how your tied to this subject how can theorize over the expierence of someone who actually researched and manufactured the same product years ago ?
Because he didn't actually research the same product years ago. He said as much in his post. The whole push behind this new .50 caliber paintball is that Richmond and the boys supposedly figured out a way to make the fill more dense without using toxic materials. If that's a lie, the fine, .50 caliber is bull****. As I've said, I'm in wait and see mode.

In the mean time, it's very simple to calculate the increase in density needed to make a 50 caliber sphere have the same ballistic properties as a 68 caliber sphere. It's not 2 times the density, as Tom claims. In other words, you don't need to make a 50 caliber paintball weigh the same as a 68 caliber paintball in order to make it fly as far.

If you don't believe me, go ask your physics professor
__________________
"Once I make someone die, and they see me....they can't change their mind." -- God

Originally posted by matt00iconoclast:
"there are variables outside of physics that will affect the flight of the ball"

Last edited by Spock : 10-08-2009 at 09:51 AM.
Spock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 09:51 AM #76
tonyneedspills2
nutrider
 
tonyneedspills2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: bay area, ca
back to point. so you can carry twice as many that way twice as much and you can shoot twice as much. why do people consistently focus on firepower in paintball. its all about agility then firepower.
__________________
2 THE BATDAR!
tonyneedspills2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 09:52 AM #77
Spock
Live Long and Bluster
 
Spock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: SE PA
Spock is a founding member
 has been a member for 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyneedspills2 View Post
back to point. so you can carry twice as many that way twice as much and you can shoot twice as much. why do people consistently focus on firepower in paintball. its all about agility then firepower.
It's about both. And the focus of this change is not about shooting twice as much. It's about paying less so more players can afford to play the game.
__________________
"Once I make someone die, and they see me....they can't change their mind." -- God

Originally posted by matt00iconoclast:
"there are variables outside of physics that will affect the flight of the ball"
Spock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 09:58 AM #78
tonyneedspills2
nutrider
 
tonyneedspills2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: bay area, ca
but see this is how i see
when i started marbs were like 90 120 bucks a crate. i would pick them off the ground and put them in my pocket and think of them as sniper shots. as upposed to people who could afford to shoot a single crate a day like it was nothing. fast forward gaps 40 bucks a crate and people are shooting two crates a day.
im saying this 50 cal thing is a bad idea. its been and should stay around 68 cal. if you walk on to a field with a 50 cal thats cool but if it doesnt fallow the rule that it breaks over a quarter (which these could very possible might) then no eliminations. now ive shot everything from spray butter to chalk and ill tell you that the spray butter shoots like **** and i love chalk. choose your paint your way ill choose mine miney
__________________
2 THE BATDAR!
tonyneedspills2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 10:00 AM #79
Spock
Live Long and Bluster
 
Spock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: SE PA
Spock is a founding member
 has been a member for 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyneedspills2 View Post
but see this is how i see
when i started marbs were like 90 120 bucks a crate. i would pick them off the ground and put them in my pocket and think of them as sniper shots. as upposed to people who could afford to shoot a single crate a day like it was nothing. fast forward gaps 40 bucks a crate and people are shooting two crates a day.
im saying this 50 cal thing is a bad idea. its been and should stay around 68 cal. if you walk on to a field with a 50 cal thats cool but if it doesnt fallow the rule that it breaks over a quarter (which these could very possible might) then no eliminations. now ive shot everything from spray butter to chalk and ill tell you that the spray butter shoots like **** and i love chalk. choose your paint your way ill choose mine miney
Hey, I make no claims or predictions about whether .50 will actually be any good.

All I'm saying is that it is very possible that it will be.

If it sucks, nobody's gonna use it, except maybe field owners for their rental groups.
__________________
"Once I make someone die, and they see me....they can't change their mind." -- God

Originally posted by matt00iconoclast:
"there are variables outside of physics that will affect the flight of the ball"
Spock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 10:02 AM #80
chatua
99 problems, all *****es
 
chatua's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: North Jersey
chatua is an NCPA player
chatua plays in the APPA D4 division
Quote:
Originally Posted by leprechaun8942 View Post
The rationale I am using is the idea in physics that force= mass times velocity. Therefore, as mass goes down, force also goes down, reducing the "hurt". However, throwing a nail into the equation adds the variable of a piercing object, which is far and away from the effect that would be had by a similarly shaped object. I guess a better example than a car would have been a wrecking ball to portray that same idea.
LMAO F=ma, not mv....

The "force" if you wanna call it that, when u get hit with a paintball is from its mass times the rapid deceleration of the paintball as it goes from 200mph or so to a stop and breaks, or off in another direction at a different magnitude if it bounces.

Or if you wanna consider the pain it causes when it hits you from an energy transfer perspective, then KE=.5mv^2. In either case, your main idea about it having less mass thus causing less pain is pretty much correct. I just had to correct a very fundamental error from someone who sounds like he knows what hes talking about.
__________________
RU X-Ball || I would post my setups, but no one gives a ****!
chatua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 10:04 AM #81
tonyneedspills2
nutrider
 
tonyneedspills2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: bay area, ca
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spock View Post
Hey, I make no claims or predictions about whether .50 will actually be any good.

All I'm saying is that it is very possible that it will be.

If it sucks, nobody's gonna use it, except maybe field owners for their rental groups.
i agree there. i think the begginers should only be allowed to use these. after they understand the game of paintball they should move up.
__________________
2 THE BATDAR!
tonyneedspills2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 10:14 AM #82
Spock
Live Long and Bluster
 
Spock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: SE PA
Spock is a founding member
 has been a member for 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by chatua View Post
LMAO F=ma, not mv....

The "force" if you wanna call it that, when u get hit with a paintball is from its mass times the rapid deceleration of the paintball as it goes from 200mph or so to a stop and breaks, or off in another direction at a different magnitude if it bounces.

Or if you wanna consider the pain it causes when it hits you from an energy transfer perspective, then KE=.5mv^2. In either case, your main idea about it having less mass thus causing less pain is pretty much correct. I just had to correct a very fundamental error from someone who sounds like he knows what hes talking about.
You also have to factor in the surface area over which that energy is being transferred. If I hit you in the *** with a big flat board, and then hit you again with that same board with a nail sticking out of, guess which will hurt worse.

Fortunately, the difference in cross section between a .50 caliber paintball and a .68 caliber paintball will not be enough to overcome their difference in mass, even if the fill is more dense.
__________________
"Once I make someone die, and they see me....they can't change their mind." -- God

Originally posted by matt00iconoclast:
"there are variables outside of physics that will affect the flight of the ball"
Spock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 10:24 AM #83
tonyneedspills2
nutrider
 
tonyneedspills2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: bay area, ca
2 much kink for me
today thank you i will make my exit.
__________________
2 THE BATDAR!
tonyneedspills2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 10:34 AM #84
chatua
99 problems, all *****es
 
chatua's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: North Jersey
chatua is an NCPA player
chatua plays in the APPA D4 division
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spock View Post
You also have to factor in the surface area over which that energy is being transferred. If I hit you in the *** with a big flat board, and then hit you again with that same board with a nail sticking out of, guess which will hurt worse.

Fortunately, the difference in cross section between a .50 caliber paintball and a .68 caliber paintball will not be enough to overcome their difference in mass, even if the fill is more dense.
I considered the surface area but the .18" difference in cross sectional diameter won't negate the difference in mass, like you said, since the reduction in volume is much greater comparatively than the reduction in diameter. And besides, i doubt paintballs deforms to their full cross sectional area before they break anyways so surface area matters even less. Unless its really cheap practice paint lol
__________________
RU X-Ball || I would post my setups, but no one gives a ****!

Last edited by chatua : 10-08-2009 at 10:38 AM.
chatua is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
Forum Jump