Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 12-02-2013, 10:58 PM #85
Goggles

Annual Supporting Member
450 players huh. Having a convention for everyone whos ever played 50 cal I see.

originally posted by $acceleration$ "what the hell hows it your fault... its called a sideWALK not a sideRIDE-A-BIKE"

My feedback: http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.p...7#post22315597
Goggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 12-02-2013, 11:15 PM #86
PaintballofOKC

I am impressed 450 people on two fields is unreal management skills even if it was a 3 day weekend. Gotta love Dallas mild winters and 3 million people to pull from.

**side note** software looks nice Larry :thumbup:
PaintballofOKC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 08:21 AM #87
GatSplat

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaintballofOKC View Post
I am impressed 450 people on two fields is unreal management skills even if it was a 3 day weekend. Gotta love Dallas mild winters and 3 million people to pull from.

**side note** software looks nice Larry :thumbup:
Actually, 450 using 50 cal.. another 200+ using 68s. Thanks for the kind words about the management and the software. It's actually the software that lets us pull off those kinds of numbers. That and great staff.

Paintball Field Reservation & Digital Waiver System.
3 Months Free! No set up fees! Then just $50 / month.
GatSplat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 09:34 AM #88
PaintballofOKC

if you don't mind me asking your secret on how you rotated that many people on an indoor field without a lot of down time between games?

I think this info would help smaller outdoor fields that have limited space.
Old 12-03-2013, 10:02 AM #89
GatSplat

Well, first off, the vantora.com software lets me set limits on how many people can come in any given half hour, or how many max I want playing. So, we are set for a max of 120 players at any given time. Now with two fields, on a busy day, lets say we are doing about 10v10 games. With two fields that means 40 people are shooting. Games on our fields last about 3-5 minutes, then we switch sides and play again. So you play two back to back games, about 7-10 minutes on the field.

We have a guy at the door on a pa system, and we have coded players with different color wrist bands. So at the point the field has finished game one, and are switching sides, we call the next group to head out behind the nets. So now the "blue wristbands" and walking out. As soon as the game finishes, we get the blues to walk on as the greens are walking off. Pre split the teams, so they walk on, refs say game starts in 20 seconds... 10,,, 5... go.

Mean while, we are calling the Orange wrist bands to head to the back field, etc. So, that means you are playing for about 8-10, then your next game is going to start in about 12 - 20 minutes from the time the game you are in has ended. That is just enough time for you to walk off the field, fill your tanks on the self serve air fill, go to the cleaning station, clean off any hits, refill your hopper, and about then, we are telling your group, get ready, because in 3 minutes, you'll be heading out to the front field, so start heading to the doors.

I added a new video showing how the parameters are set for the vantora max numbers, it's the second from the bottom on this page: http://www.vantora.com/videos.asp

So keep in mind that open on a saturday from 10am -8pm, and our average group is here for about 2.5 hours, you can run 400 people through the field in a day, where no one is waiting over 10 minutes to play if you set your settings right to smooth out the flow of customers. Until we put the reservation system in place, we could only handle about 1/2 this as they would all pile in at once, people would be waiting, upset, etc. But it's pretty smooth now. Feel free to come on down and check it out. We're just a few miles down the street!

Old 12-03-2013, 10:36 AM #90
Horizon

Horizon is a member of the Paintball Operators' Association
Quote:
Originally Posted by GatSplat View Post
Well, first off, the vantora.com software lets me set limits on how many people can come in any given half hour, or how many max I want playing. So, we are set for a max of 120 players at any given time. Now with two fields, on a busy day, lets say we are doing about 10v10 games. With two fields that means 40 people are shooting. Games on our fields last about 3-5 minutes, then we switch sides and play again. So you play two back to back games, about 7-10 minutes on the field.

We have a guy at the door on a pa system, and we have coded players with different color wrist bands. So at the point the field has finished game one, and are switching sides, we call the next group to head out behind the nets. So now the "blue wristbands" and walking out. As soon as the game finishes, we get the blues to walk on as the greens are walking off. Pre split the teams, so they walk on, refs say game starts in 20 seconds... 10,,, 5... go.

Mean while, we are calling the Orange wrist bands to head to the back field, etc. So, that means you are playing for about 8-10, then your next game is going to start in about 12 - 20 minutes from the time the game you are in has ended. That is just enough time for you to walk off the field, fill your tanks on the self serve air fill, go to the cleaning station, clean off any hits, refill your hopper, and about then, we are telling your group, get ready, because in 3 minutes, you'll be heading out to the front field, so start heading to the doors.

I added a new video showing how the parameters are set for the vantora max numbers, it's the second from the bottom on this page: http://www.vantora.com/videos.asp

So keep in mind that open on a saturday from 10am -8pm, and our average group is here for about 2.5 hours, you can run 400 people through the field in a day, where no one is waiting over 10 minutes to play if you set your settings right to smooth out the flow of customers. Until we put the reservation system in place, we could only handle about 1/2 this as they would all pile in at once, people would be waiting, upset, etc. But it's pretty smooth now. Feel free to come on down and check it out. We're just a few miles down the street!
Sounds pretty efficient. Do you mind sharing how approximately many staff you have to have during a shift with that system on a busy day?
Horizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 10:42 AM #91
PaintballofOKC

Very sweet TY for the in-depth info.

One quick question that's off topic -- does your software allow for inventory count ?? If you have markers go down , and so you don't overbook. Or is that governed by the flow of player setting?
Old 12-03-2013, 11:01 AM #92
GatSplat

To Reiner... We run a minimum of 2 refs per field, one guy at the door, one rininging people in, taking money, and 2 more that hand out gear, get gear back and clean it up, etc. Plus another one or two that are giving the others breaks. For example, Saturday, 400+ people for the day, I had 10 - 11 on the clock depending on lunches, etc.

As far as inventory count - you can set max people. For example, 120 people max at any given moment. But you are not 100% sure if someone is going to bring their marker, then it doesn't work, and you have to lend him one, etc.

But I personally would tell you if you have enough of a problem of markers going down that you are going to limit your bookings, you need to either 1) get better markers 2) get more markers or 3) hire someone who does nothing except fix guns on the weekend or 4) all of the above.

Why turn away a potential group of 10 people at $30 - $40 per person, when you could pay a tech $10 - $12 an hour to make sure all the guns stay up? That sure looks like about a $300+ decision in my book.

For my field I have 165 FT12 and 100+ 50 cal. I am not going to put myself in the situation where I can't take care of a group because we can't give them a gun. They are very easy to come by, cheap to buy, and easy to fix.

Old 12-03-2013, 12:47 PM #93
GatSplat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goggles View Post
450 players huh. Having a convention for everyone whos ever played 50 cal I see.
Not really, this year to date we had 16,834 play 50 cal... so a bit more.

Old 12-03-2013, 02:40 PM #94
Horizon

Quote:
Not really, this year to date we had 16,834 play 50 cal... so a bit more.
That's a little more than just a niche market then, isn't it? We'll never achieve those numbers at our location, but things look promising nevertheless.

What was your ratio of 50 cal vs 68 cal? I assume it's changed considerably the last couple of years. Do you see it changing further or do you think an equilibrium has been achieved? Or is it totally under your control depending on how/what you choose to market?
Old 12-03-2013, 04:06 PM #95
GatSplat

It runs about 65 - 70% 50 cal now, and a year ago it was more like 30%. I think this is about where it will stay, percentage wise. I'm telling you Reiner... the reservation software will help... and play with your SEO on your site a bit. If coming to Extravaganza, I'm going to be doing a little talk on Web site optimization. I had one of my scuba manufacturers hire me to go to Australia and do this class for the Australian Scuba Dealers, and the ones that listened and implemented the changes saw a huge difference in their traffic, but more importantly, on actual conversions. If you are going to be there, we'll hook up and have a beer!

Old 12-03-2013, 04:16 PM #96
Horizon

Quote:
It runs about 65 - 70% 50 cal now, and a year ago it was more like 30%. I think this is about where it will stay, percentage wise. I'm telling you Reiner... the reservation software will help... and play with your SEO on your site a bit. If coming to Extravaganza, I'm going to be doing a little talk on Web site optimization. I had one of my scuba manufacturers hire me to go to Australia and do this class for the Australian Scuba Dealers, and the ones that listened and implemented the changes saw a huge difference in their traffic, but more importantly, on actual conversions. If you are going to be there, we'll hook up and have a beer!
We don't have internet access at our field (heck even cell phone coverage is very spotty) so I have a feeling the reservation system wouldn't do us much good if we don't have access to it at the field.
Old 12-03-2013, 05:13 PM #97
GatSplat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horizon View Post
We don't have internet access at our field (heck even cell phone coverage is very spotty) so I have a feeling the reservation system wouldn't do us much good if we don't have access to it at the field.
You can print off the days registrations in advance... but it would be better to have net there - maybe they'll put in some more towers and you can get a hot spot one day.

Old 12-03-2013, 05:52 PM #98
PaintballofOKC

SAT PHONE !!!!!!!!!!!!

That would be cool ,, sir give me a second for the sat phone to warm up,, aww there we go please sign this pad and we will text you a receipt.
Old 02-25-2014, 08:31 PM #99
Remsster

Remsster owns a Planet Eclipse Etha
Remsster plays in the APPA beginner division
Remsster has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Remsster has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Does it hurt anymore or less than a normal .68 round. Would be interested to try this out and test it.
Remsster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 09:11 PM #100
Horizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remsster View Post
Does it hurt anymore or less than a normal .68 round. Would be interested to try this out and test it.
Overall, it hurts less.
Old 10-24-2014, 02:19 AM #101
SprayNPrey

SprayNPrey owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
saw one of these the other day had no clue what they were
SprayNPrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 03:40 PM #102
bchomes4u

What is the deal with smaller paint? What is the benefit except to buy a new gun, paint, loader etc.....lol
bchomes4u is offline   Reply With Quote