PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 04-10-2013, 08:32 PM #1
coyote5987

Annual Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
Wave of the future

50 cal will not replace 68 cal play. However, what u will see over the next couple of year is 50 cal will grow exponentially in the rental gun segment of paintball

As already pointed, only thing slowing it is a decent rental marker. After this is remedied ( which will hopefully happen by cup) it will grow

The 6-13 year old market will grow fast!
coyote5987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 04-10-2013, 09:59 PM #2
cdonath

Supply is only matched by demand. Is the cost savings that drastic?
cdonath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 10:18 PM #3
Fubarius
Yep, it's orange.

Annual Supporting Member
Fubarius supports our troops
Fubarius has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Fubarius has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Fubarius is a Forum Captain
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdonath View Post
Supply is only matched by demand. Is the cost savings that drastic?
It isn't about cost savings.

It's paintball "light". Lighter guns, which need smaller lighter tanks, with smaller lighter hoppers, and most importantly hitting with a much lighter impact.

To a large percentage of the population the big welts and bruises we show off as trophies after a good day of paintballing are a big turn off. Giving them a less extreme option just opens the market to more customers. And many of these customers will want to move up to the "real thing" after they get the hang of the "light" version.

So it isn't about replacing anything, but adding to the bottom of the pyramid, which lets the rest of it grow bigger.

000110 200 11202 10 000020
012211 021 22110 22 121101
222001 222 10220 00 022212
Fubarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 10:42 PM #4
cdonath

Thanks for the info. Sounds like a good direction, expansion. Whatever helps the sport overall.
cdonath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 07:44 PM #5
coyote5987

Annual Supporting Member

The couple of owners/ workers that have posted in the 50 cal forum have confirmed the younger group is more receptive to 50 cal

Over the next 2 years u will see more savvy field owners making money doing this which in turn will trickle down through the rest of the more skeptical fields
Old 04-12-2013, 10:10 PM #6
kenrich777

still not sure the whole smaller paintball gimmick will work, the type of person who is afraid to get shot with a paintball probably wont start playing just because its a little smaller
kenrich777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 10:33 PM #7
aresfiend
Snake player McFatass

aresfiend plays in the APPA D4 division
aresfiend has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
aresfiend has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
aresfiend has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
aresfiend supports Empire
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenrich777 View Post
still not sure the whole smaller paintball gimmick will work, the type of person who is afraid to get shot with a paintball probably wont start playing just because its a little smaller
It's worked with what I've seen if you tell them that it hurts less.
aresfiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 09:30 AM #8
JohnSherman

Annual Supporting Member
JohnSherman posts videos on PbNation
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fubarius View Post
the big welts and bruises we show off as trophies
You mean the bruises that everyone mistakes for hickeys and ringworm? Yeah, I don't think I've ever met a paintball player who considers that a "trophy."
JohnSherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 10:55 AM #9
GatSplat

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenrich777 View Post
And that whole T-ball gimmick for kids, and softball, and underhand pitch.. those gimmicks will never work. If kids don't want to take a fast hardball to the head, they shouldn't play baseball. And what's with these damn training wheels for bike, and tricycles for the real young ones... geeze.. what wussies. If they can't start out on a BMX track, they should not be on 2 wheels, or 3 or 4.

Of course, training wheel sales probably account for more revenue than the entire paintball industry in whole... but never mind that... still wussies.

Paintball Field Reservation & Digital Waiver System.
3 Months Free! No set up fees! No monthly fees.
GatSplat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 03:09 PM #10
aresfiend
Snake player McFatass

aresfiend plays in the APPA D4 division
aresfiend has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
aresfiend has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
aresfiend has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
aresfiend supports Empire
Quote:
Originally Posted by GatSplat View Post
And that whole T-ball gimmick for kids, and softball, and underhand pitch.. those gimmicks will never work. If kids don't want to take a fast hardball to the head, they shouldn't play baseball. And what's with these damn training wheels for bike, and tricycles for the real young ones... geeze.. what wussies. If they can't start out on a BMX track, they should not be on 2 wheels, or 3 or 4.

Of course, training wheel sales probably account for more revenue than the entire paintball industry in whole... but never mind that... still wussies.
aresfiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 06:52 AM #11
LoneWolf99
Knight Stalker

Jeez, why are we even still talking about this - it was released, what, three or four years ago & no appreciable dent in the market?

Proudly Sponsored By:
Outdoor Extreme - Chesapeake City
Chipley Custom Machine (CCM)
Feel Good Inc. Pump Team

R.I.P. Rob "Cooter" Coltrane - OPFOR & Knight Stalker - Best of the Best, 1952 - 2010
LoneWolf99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 10:04 AM #12
GatSplat

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneWolf99 View Post
Jeez, why are we even still talking about this - it was released, what, three or four years ago & no appreciable dent in the market?
Very true. It hardly accounts for more than 40% of my revenue. Not more than 6 or 7,000 players at my field alone.... we should just blow it off and forget about it.

Old 04-14-2013, 10:53 AM #13
Horizon

Horizon is a member of the Paintball Operators' Association
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneWolf99 View Post
Quote:
Very true. It hardly accounts for more than 40% of my revenue. Not more than 6 or 7,000 players at my field alone.... we should just blow it off and forget about it.
Now that all the naysayers have calmed down and don't feel threatened anymore, the real work can begin. I'm predicting that 50 cal will account for over 50% of revenue at our field within 3 years.
Horizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 03:43 AM #14
JohnSherman

Annual Supporting Member
JohnSherman posts videos on PbNation
Quote:
Originally Posted by Horizon View Post
Now that all the naysayers have calmed down and don't feel threatened anymore, the real work can begin. I'm predicting that 50 cal will account for over 50% of revenue at our field within 3 years.
Yep, I have no doubt that paintballs that have trouble breaking on target will be perfect when you are raping people at $50 a bag.
JohnSherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 05:43 AM #15
daniel.jozsef

What about Japan and other countries with idiotic limitations on the kinetic energy of paintballs? Lowering exit velocities kills the game, so lowering the mass of the projectile seems straightforward...
I wouldn't switch over from traditional, "big" paintballs, but in areas where those are unviable on legal grounds, I guess going small would be beneficial.
daniel.jozsef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 08:01 AM #16
GatSplat

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnSherman View Post
Yep, I have no doubt that paintballs that have trouble breaking on target will be perfect when you are raping people at $50 a bag.
Our 50 cal breaks easier than our 68. All depends on which paint you get. And let's keep paint pricing over in the other threads where everyone already has gone through a lot of discussion on prices. This thread is about 50 cal, and what the future is... and here are several field owners, as well as some general customers, that have shown that no one needs to feel like we're going to swoop in and take away your 68... It's just an alternative for those who want a lighter gun, lighter paintball, and less sting. For us, it's the 6 - 11 year old crowd.

Who knows... one of these kids at that age might be the next ollie lang a dozen years from now, because he had the opportunity to start playing at age 6 instead of waiting until he was 12.

Old 04-15-2013, 08:14 AM #17
Craptacular001
Bad Speler

Annual Supporting Member
Craptacular001 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Craptacular001 owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
Craptacular001 has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
Craptacular001 supports DLX Technology
Craptacular001 supports Empire
I can't say I have ever been shot by a 50 cal. It takes the sting away that much? My kids are 7 (twins) and I was thinking they had at least 4 years to go before they could play. Maybe with this they could do it in another year or so. I wouldn't trust them yet not to take off the mask and obey all gun rules. Pretty soon if this does take off the industry will need smaller masks for the little tykes!
Craptacular001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 08:46 AM #18
GatSplat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craptacular001 View Post
My kids are 7 (twins) and I was thinking they had at least 4 years to go before they could play. Maybe with this they could do it in another year or so
At our field, I'd tell you could bring them now... no problem... We have kids 7 and even younger each week. And actually, we have more problems with older kids and masks than we do the little ones.

Last edited by GatSplat : 04-15-2013 at 08:49 AM.
Old 04-15-2013, 08:52 AM #19
Horizon

Horizon is a member of the Paintball Operators' Association
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnSherman View Post
All the 50 cal paint I have tried so far breaks very easily. The 50 cal 2-Star I currently have breaks easier than the 68 cal 4 I also currently have. It also breaks much, much easier than the 68 cal 2-star I shot at another field a little while ago. 50 cal paint is manufactured with thinner shells so that it WILL break easier. At least that has been my experience so far. I reserved my judgement though until I actually tried it for myself.
Horizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 01:28 PM #20
Craptacular001
Bad Speler

Annual Supporting Member
Craptacular001 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Craptacular001 owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
Craptacular001 has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
Craptacular001 supports DLX Technology
Craptacular001 supports Empire
Quote:

At our field, I'd tell you could bring them now... no problem... We have kids 7 and even younger each week. And actually, we have more problems with older kids and masks than we do the little ones.
Wow, that's awesome!!
Craptacular001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 07:40 PM #21
coyote5987

Annual Supporting Member
My boy is 6 and there is no way I let him play paintball

I have not tried out 50 cal yet, however I did get y splatmaster in the mail today
I was suprised at how well it performed, and my 6 year old had NO problems operating it. My 3 year old could barely pump it, but couldnt aim!

Gonna let him shoot me to see how it feels!