Find fields & stores near you!
Find fields and stores
Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

View Poll Results: Do you really want this?
yes 134 30.66%
no 303 69.34%
Voters: 437. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-08-2009, 04:28 AM #43
OKC - Espire
Fixer of Broken Stuff

OKC - Espire donated to help Peyton Trent
OKC - Espire has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
OKC - Espire has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
OKC - Espire has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
Interesting topic. Might as well throw in my 2 cents.
For the record, I would just like to point out, this is only my opinion. Im not some science major, some engineer or anything special. Just a guy who loves this sport and techs markers for my teammates.

First and foremost, I voted Yes. And these are my reasons.

Paintball realistically needs a fresh idea. I'm not saying a change, but new avenues. That being stated, introducing (or reintroducing, whatever) the .50 cal isnt a bad thing. It offers more options to people, and to companies. I've always stated to friends and teammates that when the caliber of paintballs get smaller, we will see closer adaptations to more milsim markers (yes, I'm a woodsballer, but before the bashing comes in, I run an Angel and an Ego, those are my choices). Now sure, you have the BT Delta thats a very good replica MP5, minus the huge hopper that is attached to it. If people want more realistic replica of real fire arms, then the caliber has to come down in size.

Now, people are really worried about these companies saying 'ok, we are going 50 cal' and dropping everything to do with .68 calibers, & screwing over all their current customer/players. I dont think any company is planning to do this, unless they really want out of the business, since they would be bankrupting themselves in 72 hours. You do not bite the hand that feeds you. So if anything, you will see companies experiment, and push a new caliber product (e.g. kingmann with their pistol, and smart parts working with gi milsim), but will never just say good bye to .68 caliber (as long as their is old school autocockers and Automags out there, .68 caliber will be around).
Also, please keep in consideration that real fire arms come in all calibers. That being stated, think of how many more people this might attract to the sport. A different caliber paintball means, new markers, new designs, new concepts, new beginnings. All that said, means new players, new groups, new games. If anything this could revitalize the sport, more then hurt it.

Now, I've stated what I've liked, but now I will state what I dislike. Just cause i voted yes doesnt mean I agree with everything, hence my concerns.

As Tom Kaye of AGD points out, switching to this caliber size might pose a safety issue. The smaller caliber will have a much better chance of slipping through some of the field rental type of masks that have larger vent holes.
The standard case of paint is 2K rounds. Now going to a smaller paint, is it factual that the consumers will be getting more paint for that same price of the 2k of .68 caliber?
If conversion kits are offered, will they also include barrels to go with them?
This is going to be 1 of 2 of the biggest question I believe for all the current players. Will the new .50 cal markers be something new and completely different, or will it be simply the markers we know and love offered in 2 different calibers? I ask because if the .50 caliber and .68 2010 ego (just using as an example) are both priced at 1250, why would I buy the .50 cal when my hoppers, barrels, and everything else I own is geared for .68 caliber?
2 of 2, is will the design and concepts for the .68 caliber markers be neglected and/or just regurgitated (with what is already out there) while companies focus on .50 caliber?
Lastly, what of the pay to play fields? Do we know if their current insurance policies will cover the .50 caliber (being if its a safety issue with the smaller caliber having a better chance to get through vent holes on rental masks, this is something that needs to be addressed)?

Again, these are just my thoughts, and I'm expressing as everyone else is here. I hope that people see the .50 caliber as expansion to the sport, which I believe its trying to do. Not replacing what we already have.

Last edited by OKC - Espire : 10-08-2009 at 05:06 AM.
OKC - Espire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 10-08-2009, 08:06 AM #44
lioutlaws316
ITS OVER 9000!!!

lioutlaws316 donated to help Peyton Trent
lioutlaws316 plays in the APPA D4 division
lioutlaws316 is one of the top 500 posters on PbNation
lioutlaws316 is Legendary
lioutlaws316 supports DLX Technology
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatalKitty View Post
the .68 caliber round can no longer hold the weight of the paintball industry.
it does not meet the needs of paintball in these times.
ok but HOW, your not giveing a reason why just that you like .50 better and think it will be better
lioutlaws316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 08:09 AM #45
doimakeurandy311
jew tech

Bottem Line____________screw You Guys Im Goin Home
doimakeurandy311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 08:27 AM #46
whiteyg0tgame
gotgamegotgamegotgame

whiteyg0tgame has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
whiteyg0tgame has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
With Planet Eclipse, Smart Parts, Dye, Kingman, and GI behind the .50 cal right now it seems like it's going to happen. I wouldn't try and rebel and fight the power to prevent it. What's the point?

What you should do is wait for concrete reports, reviews, and prices. You guys are complaining about this with no foundation.

"Paintball has been fine for 20 years.." Really? Is that why hundreds of new guns have come out? There have been no new innovations in 20 years? Oh wait, we went from tree marking rifles, to pumps, to mechs and cockers, to electros... was everyone complaining that they would have to give up their mechs to buy an electro and stupid **** against innovation?

Wake up and give innovation a chance. If .50 cal comes out and they perform the same way old .50 cal did... fine. Flame, bash, and stay with .68. Don't judge it beforehand though, and definitely don't act like .68 is going to be obsolete because of .50. It's just another option. You guys are scared little babies about it. Damn.
Old 10-08-2009, 08:31 AM #47
Ii3edus

yall really forget y this is an idea, money. times have been hard for a lot lately for industry. money makes the world go round and to save money in production now earns money on retail. not saying it will happen over night but with time comes change. a great person said once......"ITS TIME FOR CHANGE."
Ii3edus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 08:45 AM #48
doimakeurandy311
jew tech

I *****ed alot about this at first....but then i said **** it. SO bring on the .50 cal
doimakeurandy311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 08:50 AM #49
whiteyg0tgame
gotgamegotgamegotgame

That's the spirit!

In all hoensty we have nothing to judge until some independent tests come out.... I'm excited for what they are claiming and I have no reason to doubt it.
Old 10-08-2009, 09:20 AM #50
lioutlaws316
ITS OVER 9000!!!

i have no probs with .50 cal if it can do what it says it can and it can break ....well i do have one prob my luxe is 1of5 and if i have to get a new barrel it will look like ****
Old 10-08-2009, 09:23 AM #51
whiteyg0tgame
gotgamegotgamegotgame

Or you can sell your Luxe and upgrade to a .50 cal Luxe when that comes out, haha.

And what was it I wanted to say... Oh yea, I would have to say I feel like PbNation probably supports .50 cal. Instead of making an official .50 cal thread to end all the posts they made a whole section. Hmmmm, media hype maybe?
Old 10-08-2009, 09:44 AM #52
lioutlaws316
ITS OVER 9000!!!

thats the big prob no .68 wont be out dated but no one will buy it soo in a way ya it is
Old 10-08-2009, 09:47 AM #53
M.I.NUG
Who are you??

has been a member for 10 years
good to see the real paintballers who were brought up with .68 dont want change
M.I.NUG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 09:50 AM #54
lioutlaws316
ITS OVER 9000!!!

^^
Old 10-08-2009, 10:04 AM #55
whiteyg0tgame
gotgamegotgamegotgame

I have been playing paintball for 11 years... nothing fake about me, and I welcome change and innovation to the game. Anything that could increase the game and bring more people to the fields is a good thing. That's a true paintball players mentality.
Old 10-08-2009, 10:06 AM #56
lioutlaws316
ITS OVER 9000!!!

ill change anything but paint i never have the same gear each yr
Old 10-08-2009, 10:15 AM #57
whiteyg0tgame
gotgamegotgamegotgame

So you won't change your gun or your paint?
Old 10-08-2009, 10:16 AM #58
LordZeal

has been a member for 10 years
I don't know enought to vote yes or no on this yet. I've been playing rec ball for 6 years now and I don't play nearly as often as I would like for two reasons.
1) Cost of paint
2) Availability of fields to play on, closest to me is now 40 minutes away

It looks like the big benefit being thrown around for .50 cal is that paint is cheaper for the player, you get 4k rounds for the same price as 2k, but how does this effect the field? Don't fields make most of their money off selling paint? Well if paint is now 1/2 the cost, how does that effect how much paint the field sells and how much they make? There's already too few fields around, I don't want to put more out of business. Maybe they'll make up the difference in selling new .50 cal markers and parts.

Fact is that business is a complex thing, so who knows how a change like this will effect the industry? I do like the idea of creating new equipment and the oppertunity for new ideas based on this change in paintball size, but I'm not sure what the risks are yet. Guess we'll see.
LordZeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 10:19 AM #59
lioutlaws316
ITS OVER 9000!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteyg0tgame View Post
So you won't change your gun or your paint?
no ive have over 15guns this yr including 4 luxes 2minis 09ego bw dm8
08 ego and a few more
Old 10-08-2009, 10:40 AM #60
whiteyg0tgame
gotgamegotgamegotgame

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordZeal View Post
I don't know enought to vote yes or no on this yet. I've been playing rec ball for 6 years now and I don't play nearly as often as I would like for two reasons.
1) Cost of paint
2) Availability of fields to play on, closest to me is now 40 minutes away

It looks like the big benefit being thrown around for .50 cal is that paint is cheaper for the player, you get 4k rounds for the same price as 2k, but how does this effect the field? Don't fields make most of their money off selling paint? Well if paint is now 1/2 the cost, how does that effect how much paint the field sells and how much they make? There's already too few fields around, I don't want to put more out of business. Maybe they'll make up the difference in selling new .50 cal markers and parts. And then we'll say it's $10 to get into the field. Situation 1 the field brings in $100. Situation 2 the field brings in $200. Overall, $300 income for a day with .68 and $400 income for a day with .50, haha.

Fact is that business is a complex thing, so who knows how a change like this will effect the industry? I do like the idea of creating new equipment and the oppertunity for new ideas based on this change in paintball size, but I'm not sure what the risks are yet. Guess we'll see.
Well, if .68 was $50/case for 2000 and .50 was $60 for 4000... 10 people show up to the field and buy 10 cases for $500. We'll say the field makes $20 per case. That's $200 profit in that situation. 20 people show up and buy 10 cases and split them amongst each other. That's $200 profit for the field. When bringing in a cheaper product you hope to bring more consumers and either match or increase the profit based off of that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lioutlaws316 View Post
no ive have over 15guns this yr including 4 luxes 2minis 09ego bw dm8
08 ego and a few more
Yep, it's going to be so hard for you to make a transition. I understand what you're saying.
Old 10-08-2009, 11:09 AM #61
lioutlaws316
ITS OVER 9000!!!

well not i only have the bw dm8 and 1 luxe i ment to say had not have
Old 10-08-2009, 11:28 AM #62
ElPanda
CAD/CAM

Im curious to see how they handle the fill, for all the reasons TK pointed out

ABET Accredited Level II Machinist - CNC programmer - Mech. Engineering Technologist
Polarst*r Engineering and Machine

ElPanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 11:31 AM #63
blitz121

Annual Supporting Member
blitz121 helped look for balloons
blitz121 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
blitz121 supports Sherwood Forest
blitz121 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
The only thing I can see about this is the happening of a giant earthquake separating the earth in two. Repent those of Ego, DM, Luxe and others, REPENT!!!!!

Ok now to serious.

I marked no just do to there are some that just bought a new NT or Ego 10 that if a transformation occurs it will be horrible. 50 cal like it or not is a innovative idea, but .68 cal has been the backbone of the paintball industry for quite awhile. I don't support this only because of the problems that may ensue after it comes out.

XTC social crew
Elite Sports
blitz121 is offline   Reply With Quote