Find fields & stores near you!
Find fields and stores
Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

View Poll Results: Do you really want this?
yes 134 30.66%
no 303 69.34%
Voters: 437. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-05-2009, 08:01 PM #1
paintball4life124
agggggg.........

paintball4life124 is playing at Living Legends III
paintball4life124 owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
paintball4life124 supports Team VICIOUS
paintball4life124 is for the Gunfight
(((.50 cal)))

i am just trying to prove a point i would like this thread to succeed please i really dont want this to happen i mean
some of us have been in paintball for 20 years i do not think we are ready
for this big of a change...
i mean what is wrong with .68 cal? absolutely nothing..... we have been shooting it for years and have been having a great time am i right?
do you realize that on top of our thousand dollar guns and 200 dollar barrels and all that money we blew on paint is now going down the toilet........
the paintball compaines do not know what there getting into with this
i dont know about you but they WILL be losing my intrest...
as they say a true paintballer will never quit, and i wont and i hope you dont either, but im sorry.....this is ridicoulous changing the size of a paintball?!?!

we must stand our ground and prove to the industry that we dont want this....

Last edited by paintball4life124 : 10-07-2009 at 07:01 PM.
paintball4life124 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 08:30 PM #2
Fubarius
Yep, it's orange.

Annual Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
Fubarius supports our troops
Fubarius has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Fubarius has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Fubarius is a Forum Captain
I'm all for change, well not really change, expansion is the proper word. Expansion into new, varied, and unexplored possibilities of paintball. Don't give me a "revolution", give me more options.

But here's the thing, this particular "revolution" has been tried before, multiple times. Tippmann tried .62 caliber, it didn't take off (smaller balls kept getting out ranged by .68 cal balls). RAP and Kingmann both tried .43 cal, never seen one used at a scenario game. Heck, tried out a .43 cal RAP gun myself (borrowed it for a couple games from a local player, who sold it a month later for a .68 cal gun). No range, couldn't see the balls in the air, bounced off everything. PMI tried .55 cal, didn't take off. Heck, I've already owned a .50 cal gun for the last couple years. No one has ever asked me about the "superior accuracy" of my old 3357. Ask any true old school player about how much the paint bounced out of those things.

Marketing hype can't beat physics.
Fubarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 08:44 PM #3
paintball4life124
agggggg.........

i understand where your coming from this is why we need to stay .68!
Old 10-05-2009, 09:07 PM #4
SD-G-force
what's paintball again?

SD-G-force has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
what we need is an unbiased pros and con list.

Half the kids on this site don't even know why they oppose 50cal, they're just doing it cause everyone else is saying its bad
Old 10-05-2009, 09:30 PM #5
DyePaintballer2k11
Greek, I am it

DyePaintballer2k11 helped look for balloons
DyePaintballer2k11 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
DyePaintballer2k11 has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
DyePaintballer2k11 has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
It won't ever happen. Everything would have to change. Literally.

USAF
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
We're trapped in the belly of this horrible machine.
And the machine is bleeding to death.
DyePaintballer2k11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 01:29 AM #6
phoolio
Q_Q

just think of it as one big sponsor coming from us the fiends to the well being of the sport.
Old 10-06-2009, 02:39 AM #7
gusgus01

if comapnies begin to produce these it will be their downfall... its illogical and just ridiculous considering the kind of performance the balls would have (which would be ****ty)
And Shepherds we shall be, For thee, my Lord, for thee. Power hath descended forth from Thy hand, Our feet may swiftly carry out Thy commands. So we shall flow a river forth to Thee, And teeming with souls shall it ever be. In Nomeni Patri Et Fili Spiritus Sancti
gusgus01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 04:17 PM #8
Fubarius
Yep, it's orange.

Annual Supporting Member
Fubarius supports our troops
Fubarius has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Fubarius has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Fubarius is a Forum Captain
Quote:
Originally Posted by doimakeurandy311 View Post
Also, less wind resistance means painttravels faster and farther. (EX.2 our nets we use for protection will be blown to bits by this bull****.) Even if we slow the vlocity we still can't shoot as far or as accurate. This is just a buynch of bull**** if you ask me.
Need to brush up on your physics. The marginal reduction in wind resistance is counteracted by a DRAMATIC decrease in mass. Less mass, less inertia. Less inertia, less range. To quote an industry expert who has experience with smaller caliber paint...

"At short ranges the .62 pellets used to travel faster and thus would have a flatter trajectory over such ranges.

At long ranges they would drop off more due to less energy to overcome air resistance. Making it hard to be accurate at long range.

At even longer ranges they wouldn't reach targets that .68 cal pellets would with enough energy to break.

manike"

Remember your history folks. If smaller = better, then someone would have made a custom batch of smaller caliber paint for their own use and would have tried to sneak it in to some event to give them an advantage. In fact, a big name team did do exactly that, made some custom guns and a custom run of paint that gave them more range, more accuracy, and better breakage. The infamous Ironball used by Bob Long's Ironmen. And guess what, it wasn't smaller, it was a BIGGER and thus heavier .70 caliber ball.
Fubarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 06:14 PM #9
caylegeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fubarius View Post
The infamous Ironball used by Bob Long's Ironmen. And guess what, it wasn't smaller, it was a BIGGER and thus heavier .70 caliber ball.
QFT
caylegeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 09:46 PM #10
Clemroc
Theres paint on your mask

You might want to add an option in your poll as "Doesn't mind"

First of all, whether this change happens or not, it won't happen in a day!
Second, there will surely be conversion kits for the paintball markers.
Finally, everything changes, everything evolves. Changes are NOT always negative.
Personally, I think that IF these .50cal paintballs come out, .68cal will still exist. And I think this change of having BOTH calibers at disposition could be great! Think about it:
You go to the store, buy .50cal paintballs cheaper (assuming they will be) and you practice with them, thus improving your skills and having fun.
Then, you go and buy .68cal paintballs a bit more expansive, and play an important game or a tourney.
This is not necessarily what will happen, but it is an interesting possibility. Keep your mind open, for things are not always as bad as they appear! Be positive

PS: Improving your writing might make more people agree with you
Clemroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 10:24 PM #11
1stGenRex
Easily Amused

1stGenRex is a Paintball photographer
1stGenRex supports Cereal Killerz 2
1stGenRex donated to help Peyton Trent
1stGenRex helped look for balloons
1stGenRex is one of the top 25 posters on PbNation
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemroc View Post

Finally, everything changes, everything evolves. Changes are NOT always negative.
Personally, I think that IF these .50cal paintballs come out, .68cal will still exist. And I think this change of having BOTH calibers at disposition could be great! Think about it:
You go to the store, buy .50cal paintballs cheaper (assuming they will be) and you practice with them, thus improving your skills and having fun.
Then, you go and buy .68cal paintballs a bit more expansive, and play an important game or a tourney.
This is not necessarily what will happen, but it is an interesting possibility. Keep your mind open, for things are not always as bad as they appear! Be positive

best post in this useless thread
1stGenRex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 11:04 PM #12
lioutlaws316
ITS OVER 9000!!!

lioutlaws316 donated to help Peyton Trent
lioutlaws316 plays in the APPA D4 division
lioutlaws316 is one of the top 500 posters on PbNation
lioutlaws316 is Legendary
lioutlaws316 supports DLX Technology
no keep .68 why change now ......i want one reason to realy change now?why not 10 years ago why now??? why not 5 yrs ago
lioutlaws316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 08:23 AM #13
loneassassin
A Grim and...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fubarius View Post
Need to brush up on your physics. The marginal reduction in wind resistance is counteracted by a DRAMATIC decrease in mass. Less mass, less inertia. Less inertia, less range. To quote an industry expert who has experience with smaller caliber paint...

"At short ranges the .62 pellets used to travel faster and thus would have a flatter trajectory over such ranges.

At long ranges they would drop off more due to less energy to overcome air resistance. Making it hard to be accurate at long range.

At even longer ranges they wouldn't reach targets that .68 cal pellets would with enough energy to break.

manike"

Remember your history folks. If smaller = better, then someone would have made a custom batch of smaller caliber paint for their own use and would have tried to sneak it in to some event to give them an advantage. In fact, a big name team did do exactly that, made some custom guns and a custom run of paint that gave them more range, more accuracy, and better breakage. The infamous Ironball used by Bob Long's Ironmen. And guess what, it wasn't smaller, it was a BIGGER and thus heavier .70 caliber ball.
You took the thoughts out of my head. I haven't done the exact calculations on wind-drag coefficients vs. mass, but I suspect that .50 balls would slow down a lot sooner in their flight - resulting in a lot more bounces. They're going to have basically the same shell construction, and we already get a lot of bounces at long ranges. In addition, a smaller, lighter ball is going to be affected by wind to a much greater degree. I see them as having vastly inferior effective range and accuracy.

Another case I have against changing to .50, and I know I'm in the minority on this, but I happen to love the equipment I own right now. Many people, perhaps the majority like to buy the newest and brightest equipment every year - so they probably won't have a problem adapting. I, on the other hand, still own every paintball gun I've bought since 1993, and still use them all. My newest tourney/serious gun was built from a 2003 body. The point is, I want to be able to keep using my old equipment. If .50 really takes hold, it may be harder to get .68 paint. I think it's a point worth considering...

My halfblocked Trilogy pump:
http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/b...6/P3250486.jpg
loneassassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 10:33 AM #14
Stencil
p4f

.50 cal ftw.
Stencil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 11:56 AM #15
orionz06
Turtle Wrangler

Annual Supporting Member
orionz06 is a Supporting Member
orionz06 donated to help Peyton Trent
orionz06 supports our troops
orionz06 is an NCPA player
orionz06 is Immortal
orionz06 supports DLX Technology
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemroc View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by loneassassin View Post
You took the thoughts out of my head. I haven't done the exact calculations on wind-drag coefficients vs. mass, but I suspect that .50 balls would slow down a lot sooner in their flight - resulting in a lot more bounces. They're going to have basically the same shell construction, and we already get a lot of bounces at long ranges. In addition, a smaller, lighter ball is going to be affected by wind to a much greater degree. I see them as having vastly inferior effective range and accuracy.

Another case I have against changing to .50, and I know I'm in the minority on this, but I happen to love the equipment I own right now. Many people, perhaps the majority like to buy the newest and brightest equipment every year - so they probably won't have a problem adapting. I, on the other hand, still own every paintball gun I've bought since 1993, and still use them all. My newest tourney/serious gun was built from a 2003 body. The point is, I want to be able to keep using my old equipment. If .50 really takes hold, it may be harder to get .68 paint. I think it's a point worth considering...

the area in which the drag will act upon is more than marginally different...

the drag will have much less of an impact, which allows the denser filled ball to lose less velocity as it makes it across the field, and in turn results in the flatter trajectory... with the .62 round, i dont believe the drag reduction is enough to justify it, hence the .50 and not .62...

Quote:
50 caliber paintball
well Iíve shot it Ė at least the prototype. Iíve been shooting the prototypes for a couple of months now. I like it, Iím pretty excited about it.

Basically all the claims are true based on my experience:

Itís a bit more accurate (not like a bullet, but an improvement based on the paint we were shooting on the day)

It breaks very well, the shell is a bit thinner.

It marks almost exactly the same size Ė probably because the paint doesnít spread around as much.

Per volume itís heavier than 68 cal.
Iím not sure by how much, but thatís part of the new ballistic properties.

The paint breaks very well, even on lose clothing. The test paint ranged from very thick to very thin shells, so some of it bounced like crazy, and some of it smashed in the gun. In the end they found a perfect balance, and the paint broke on bunkers even shooting from corner to corner.

The balls still hurt if they hit bare skin, or a shirt pressed against your body. This sting is still pretty much the same as 68 cal.
If you get shot in the baggy part of your pants (on the knees for example) the impact is much less noticeable. The balls broke perfectly on your knees.

You get roughly twice the shots from a tank of air Ė based on the prototype i shot

The gun is noticeably quieter. Less air is being used so the gun has a softer sound.

A standard paint box can hold 4000 50 cal balls

A pod holds around 350 to 400 balls (i didnít count exactly, Iíll post pics tonight around 9pm)

A retrofitted VL 2000 holds over 400 balls. The retrofit on the prototype was a metal insert.

I played Xball points only reloading once per point most games.

You lose track of how many balls you have in your loader, smoke shells would be recommended. It feels like you can keep shooting forever.

Regular Squeegees donít fit in a 50 cal barrel, but there are squeegees made right for .50cal.

The prototype I shot was an early GI Milsim Mirco Ė loosely a retrofitted SmartParts VIBE. Basically the internals and feed neck were replaced. IMHO retrofitting guns will be pretty simple. Same for loaders.

The bolt in the Micro is TINY! iíll post a pic of it side by side with a DM6 bolt tonight.

50 cal will be great for fields, as it is less intimidating for rental players. It will also be good for Milsim and rec.

I havenít tried this in a high end marker yet. You canít compare the way The Micro shoots compared to a DM or Ego. A good comparison can be made at world cup when you will get the opportunity to see a 50 cal Impulse side by side with a 68 cal impulse.

IMHO 50 cal and 68 cal will exist together for a long time. I have a nice collection of 68 cal guns, and i hope to be shooting them for a long time.

I have a GI Micro50 sitting on my table at home. Iíll post pics tonight, around 9PM.

No BS, this is my feedback based on my participation in field testing the gun.
Penn State Paintball, Alumni #38
☆☆☆ The Departed© #38 ☆☆☆
Erie Fusion (original) #38

"Should you covet what you cannot afford. Maketh more money."
orionz06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 06:05 PM #16
Tiggr_909
Consilium Dei

Voted no !

Too little real information about it!

Most information is marketing.

Also, I think the problems in Paintball industry doesnīt change with a new caliber.
Old 10-07-2009, 06:37 PM #17
SoCalBallin
Straight up the gut

Quote:
Originally Posted by paintball4life124 View Post
i am just trying to prove a point i would like this thread to succeed please i really dont want this to happen i mean
some of us have been in paintball for 20 years i do not think we are ready
for this big of a change...
i mean what is wrong with .68 cal? absolutely nothing..... we have been shooting it for years and have been having a great time am i right?
do you realize that on top of our thousand dollar guns and 200 dollar barrels and all that money we blew on paint is now going down the toilet........
the paintball compaines do not know what there getting into with this
i dont know about you but they WILL be losing my intrest...
as they say a true paintballer will never quit, and i wont and i hope you dont either, but im sorry.....this is ridicoulous changing the size of a paintball?!?!

we must stand our ground and prove to the industry that we dont want this....

Paintball is a dying sport. This is a change we need and if it really will help the sport grow then i'm all for it and you should be too if you are true to the sport. If you can get twice the amount of paintballs for the same price why not? Unless you are super rich or spoiled by your daddy's money then you should for this change as well. Ofcourse we will all have to get new set ups or what not but the money you will save on the paintballs will make up for it in the long run. Theres my 2 cents....therefore I voted yes.

Pacquaio > Mayweather
SoCalBallin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 06:38 PM #18
AndrewFalk
Zeus Dick

AndrewFalk plays in the PSP
AndrewFalk plays in the APPA D4 division
You should have an "other" option in the poll.
Old 10-07-2009, 06:59 PM #19
paintball4life124
agggggg.........

like what
Old 10-07-2009, 07:00 PM #20
paintball4life124
agggggg.........

keep the votes coming i like the ideas!
Old 10-07-2009, 07:05 PM #21
nevekd128

just accept the change. How many of you b*t*hed when the Government started puttin ethonl in the gas to help reduce emmissions? Its not gonna be a total change. Its gonna be like real fire arms there will be different calibers that will reflect the users preferences and ability to pay for ammunition.
nevekd128 is offline   Reply With Quote