Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 10-08-2009, 07:45 PM #22
Boom Master
Scenario Player

You could just make the laws be painted Hunter's Orange and a Hunters Orange hat and vest so the tank gunner and infantry can SEE them...

Just kidding........................
Boom Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 10-31-2009, 12:56 AM #23
Dynastyfan2021
It's the killer rabbit!

Dynastyfan2021 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Quote:
Originally Posted by Range Viper View Post
How about slat/cage armor?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cage_armor

Of course assuming you could get field owners to "let it work"
That was going to be my suggestion.

"There's nothing wrong with me. YOU, on the other hand, have A BULLET INSIDE OF YOU"

Ego8
Dynastyfan2021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 08:17 PM #24
stevebski
< Kris Williams is HOT

stevebski supports Bob Gurnsey
stevebski supports our troops
I just finished watching Tropic Thunder and it made me think of this thread. I'm hiring Matthew McConaughey to run around in front of my tank with a handful of tivos
Old 11-04-2009, 08:52 PM #25
hiddenphantom

Just a "grunt's" point of view, but since the beginning of tanks in WWI they have always needed infanty support. Why would they be different in paintball. If you want your tanks to survive get some guys to work as a response fire team to shadow/recon for the tank and try to avoid the large fire fights. They should also be in radio contact at all times with the tank. Comms win battles not "anti-law" nets.
Old 11-05-2009, 01:45 PM #26
stevebski
< Kris Williams is HOT

stevebski supports Bob Gurnsey
stevebski supports our troops
we're working on that. Some fields go out of their way to insert tanks without infantry to give the LAWs guys the opportunity to play with their toys because there's more LAWs guys than there are tankers on the field that day.
Old 11-05-2009, 03:08 PM #27
master2003
THE DOZER

master2003 is a Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiddenphantom View Post
Just a "grunt's" point of view, but since the beginning of tanks in WWI they have always needed infanty support. Why would they be different in paintball. If you want your tanks to survive get some guys to work as a response fire team to shadow/recon for the tank and try to avoid the large fire fights. They should also be in radio contact at all times with the tank. Comms win battles not "anti-law" nets.
Except we are playing paintball, not war. If we were trying to accurately play 'war', our guns would need to have similar or greater range than laws.
A real law has an effective range of less than 200 yards. A real fire arm has an effective range of 600 yards. In paintball our markers have a range of 150-200ft, laws have a range of 200-300ft depending on velocity. It's backwards.
Old 11-05-2009, 07:44 PM #28
hiddenphantom

Thats true except that a RPG-7 has an effective range of 1000 yds compared to the effective range of the M-16 which as you stated is approx 600yds, or the AK-47 range of 800 yds. So, what we deal with on the paintball fields are the same thing that the military tankers deal with only they can move faster. So, taking lessons from the military tactics on this is reasonable.

AS for fields inserting tanks without infantry support well thats just BS really. Why do they even allow tanks if they are going to do that?? Tanks should be deployed how ever that tank crew/ gerenal deam necessary as long as they stick to the basic rules of speed limit and paths.
Old 11-05-2009, 09:08 PM #29
BlackAngelSS
The Black Korps

[/quote]AS for fields inserting tanks without infantry support well thats just BS really. Why do they even allow tanks if they are going to do that?? Tanks should be deployed how ever that tank crew/ gerenal deam necessary as long as they stick to the basic rules of speed limit and paths.[/quote]

Exactly! The tanks shouldnt have to fight thier way to friendly lines to pick up infantry support. at the very least they should be allowed to drive through with thier white flag up till they are behind their lines. but to be fair cutting off tank support might be a strategic move. i guess it all depends on the fields layout. even if tank respans cut off after a fair amount of time the teams tanks should be allowed to respawn

http://1sspanzerkorps.com/

Last edited by BlackAngelSS : 11-05-2009 at 09:15 PM.
BlackAngelSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 09:37 PM #30
BlackAngelSS
The Black Korps

Quote:
Originally Posted by indy007 View Post
Those 2 statements do not jive. How can armor help if you were never hit? Plus, once a law hits, your choice of construction material for armor is irrelevant. You're dead, unless you get special rules from your promoter.

More often that not, this is very illegal, as it is against insurance regulations. Players are going to have a hard time embarking or jumping out of something they're not allowed to even be close to.

That depends entirely on the promoter. I've played >60 games, all over this country, and have never once seen tank kills been worth points. Generals aren't even worth points anymore... why would a tank be? That makes no sense.

If your tank is not an asset, it's because you have the wrong payloads, no defenses, a bad overall design, and very poor strategy. This isn't a real tank. A real tank is designed to kill other tanks, where infantry support is required. These are mobile anti-infantry platforms, and have to be designed and played as such.

My tank is built to destroy other tanks. thats its main function. its secondary role is to shoot up infantry. which it does just fine.i figure take out the other tanks,which puts the other side at a disadvantage then shoot up some grunts

Old 11-05-2009, 09:46 PM #31
master2003
THE DOZER

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiddenphantom View Post
Thats true except that a RPG-7 has an effective range of 1000 yds compared to the effective range of the M-16 which as you stated is approx 600yds, or the AK-47 range of 800 yds. So, what we deal with on the paintball fields are the same thing that the military tankers deal with only they can move faster. So, taking lessons from the military tactics on this is reasonable.
No, it has a maximum range of 1000 yards where as a M-16 has a max range of over 3000 yards. A quick wikipedia shows that the probability of hitting anything futher than 500m is less than 4%.
In real life situations portable anti tank weapons have relatively short range compared to fire arms.
On a paintball field it is sometimes impossible to take out a person with a law because they can outrange you. We are playing paintball, not nerf wars.
Old 11-05-2009, 11:08 PM #32
BlackAngelSS
The Black Korps

the m 16 isnt a weapon thats mounted on tanks. We use 7.62 and .%0 cal machine guns in our tanks. the 7.62 shoots well over 1000 yards and the .50 can nail things over 2000

Old 11-06-2009, 09:53 AM #33
master2003
THE DOZER

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackAngelSS View Post
the m 16 isnt a weapon thats mounted on tanks. We use 7.62 and .%0 cal machine guns in our tanks. the 7.62 shoots well over 1000 yards and the .50 can nail things over 2000
If that was directed towards me, I understand. I was trying to make the point that in real combat, infantry can support tanks. In paintball they generally have a hard time because they are outranged by the law. It should be the other way around. To make a tank kill, you should have to get upclose, at least within 100ft. I would like it if they turned down the velocity on laws to around 100-150 fps.
Old 11-07-2009, 06:42 AM #34
hiddenphantom

The only problem I see with them turning it down would to 150 fps is that it is approx 100mph and a gutsy grunt like myself protecting a tank would play catch.
Old 11-07-2009, 03:34 PM #35
BlackAngelSS
The Black Korps

Quote:
Originally Posted by master2003 View Post
If that was directed towards me, I understand. I was trying to make the point that in real combat, infantry can support tanks. In paintball they generally have a hard time because they are outranged by the law. It should be the other way around. To make a tank kill, you should have to get upclose, at least within 100ft. I would like it if they turned down the velocity on laws to around 100-150 fps.
True. the nerfs go farther than a paintball. you have to take that into account when playing. move up behind cover when possible ect. also having a lower profile is good cause the at guys miss ALOT at long range

Old 11-07-2009, 07:50 PM #36
master2003
THE DOZER

Quote:
True. the nerfs go farther than a paintball. you have to take that into account when playing. move up behind cover when possible ect. also having a lower profile is good cause the at guys miss ALOT at long range
At the field I play at, you are out even if the law hits the front side of the building you are at.
Old 11-07-2009, 09:21 PM #37
hiddenphantom

Really sounds like your field doesn't like tanks or loves his law collection. I guess the best way to protect a tank depends on the rules at your field and the terrien. So to all the tankers out there don't show up to a field without knowing how your going to defend yourself.
Old 11-09-2009, 11:12 AM #38
"Q"

You guys are always saying "Law Law Law" But not all anti tank paintball weapons are laws. After this past weekend at Fulda Gap, a lot of people got to see a paintball "Javelin" in action.
Old 11-09-2009, 11:45 AM #39
hiddenphantom

Quote:
Originally Posted by "Q" View Post
You guys are always saying "Law Law Law" But not all anti tank paintball weapons are laws. After this past weekend at Fulda Gap, a lot of people got to see a paintball "Javelin" in action.
Interesting..Pictures?????
Old 11-09-2009, 04:26 PM #40
indy007
ND Toy Company

Quote:
[/b]

My tank is built to destroy other tanks. thats its main function. its secondary role is to shoot up infantry. which it does just fine.i figure take out the other tanks,which puts the other side at a disadvantage then shoot up some grunts
To each their own. I guess if you frequently have lots of tank opposition that wouldn't be a bad plan. What's your targeting system though, and what's your sustained nerf per second rate? What have you installed, if you're willing to share, that lets you dominate every other tank out there and really be an efficient killer? Do you use barrel stabilization? How effective is your shooting on the move?

At the end of the day it's all about efficiency to me. I'd rather have 1 "properly" built tank that plays like a steamroller on the field and can take on 3 or 4 tanks at once, plus infantry, than having 3 or 4 clunkers.
Old 11-10-2009, 12:22 AM #41
BlackAngelSS
The Black Korps

Quote:
Originally Posted by indy007 View Post
To each their own. I guess if you frequently have lots of tank opposition that wouldn't be a bad plan. What's your targeting system though, and what's your sustained nerf per second rate? What have you installed, if you're willing to share, that lets you dominate every other tank out there and really be an efficient killer? Do you use barrel stabilization? How effective is your shooting on the move?

At the end of the day it's all about efficiency to me. I'd rather have 1 "properly" built tank that plays like a steamroller on the field and can take on 3 or 4 tanks at once, plus infantry, than having 3 or 4 clunkers.

Our ability against other tanks comes from a few places.and i never said We"dominate every other tank out there" lol
#1 We modeled our tank after a German WW2 Tank destroyer. so it has a low profile and no turret. so it is hard to hit
#2 the cannon is nothing special,but we practice and are good with it. its breach loaded and can shoot a decent fps without being illegal. Our sight right now is stright down the barrel. I never timed our reload but i imagine its about 10 to 15 secs to reload and aquire a target.i have Zero interest in having to fire 10 or 20 nerfs to hit a target. The goal is to hit on the first shot.
#3 is tactics. when on defense like when defending an objective ect. We camo up! If the enemy tank doesnt see you its pretty much over. and it is totally possible to accomplish this. we also get the infantry to work with us. ill have the grunts lay fire on the enemy tank and draw their attention so we can nail them easily. On Offense we play it smart as well. Just as real tankers i have a hatch i can stick my head out to observe the area. looking through screen should work too but i like a clear view. also we will stop every now and then to listen for the enemy tanks engines. when we advance i always try to get the grunts involved.We alwayss try to use cover as well. Its advisable to move up along with them and not too far ahead.Of course we do sometimes but its usually when we are ready to go take a leak or get some food ect lol. At guys are far harder to take out than enemy tanks IMO. Partially caus eof the unbalanced rules at alot of the fields. you need to be allowed to blow bunkers with your cannon in order to level the field at all.

also not all but a few of the other tanks we come up against dont seem to have launchers or dont use them whatever.But there are a few very good other tankers around.

there are tons of good books about real tankers from various past wars out there.My favs 2 are ones about German Tank aces michael whittmann,Otto Carius,Kurt knispel, and Eric Barkmann. youd be suprised how some of it will work in paintball tanking

I have a few cool tricks coming for the tankers at spring west point so stay tuned lol

Last edited by BlackAngelSS : 11-10-2009 at 12:30 AM.
Old 11-10-2009, 09:55 AM #42
Boom Master
Scenario Player

I share all my tech. Made an autoloader with a 6 shot magazine that fires 1 RPS with potential to go faster. The fact it is in a back pack based walking tank is what makes it so dangerous. A mech warrior type tank inspired by the Star Wars ATST Imperial walker. Mobility plus fire power.

I can use trees, cover, buildings, go off road, and make little noise. I've played 'tank speedball' with a RPG Player with a 6 shot autoloading RPG. I leaned out from the corner of a building to fire my marker while he tried to hit me with the RPG with very little to shoot at and very little time to take a shot.

Took the 'smaller is better' approach to tank design for paintball to an extreme. Smaller you are, the harder it is to hit with a Nerf. A 20 inch tree trunk makes GOOD cover for a tank 30 inches wide that can walk THROUGH doorways.

Yes, it is full camoed. Even the netting is painted camo. I can stand between two cedar trees or in brush and ambush tanks driving by all day. Basically play like a RPG player that can't be killed with small arms fire.

Getting the first shot is ALWAYS an advantage. With an autoloading cannon, you can afford to take a lower percentage shot and MISS because you can correct your point of aim without having to reload. Correct the windage, elevation and send another shot off a second later while the gunner in the other tank is taking aim on you. If he wasn't pointing your way in the first place, you can get 3-4 shots before he gets to return fire...

As a tank hunter for years, I know that engine noise is the anti tankers best source of where a tank is coming from.

Upgrades in the works are a STKT anti tank round. Accurate as a marker with much more RANGE. I hoping for 100 yards but anything over 60 would be an advantage on most fields. Have the bench test prototype working but upscaling and building the field prototype now in a RPG platform.

Going to tinker with putting a version of my marker based auto rangefinding system on a cannon. Just to SEE if it would be useful. Very velocity critical and Nerf rounds aren't that consistent shot to shot. Varies over 10 fps regularly. Still, if you can drop the firest shot CLOSE to your opposing tank, you don't have to correct as much for the next... Looking for that 60-100 yard mark for my "normal" engagement range..

Have a head controlled marker/turret on the drawing boards. Just field tested a spiral rifled barrel with the autoloader. Good results in improved accuracy.

I just keep tinkering and tweaking away looking for my 'edge' out there. Then I give it away. The arms race is in full swing, and if you guys are copying my OLD stuff, then the sport evolves and I still have my 'edge'...
Boom Master is offline   Reply With Quote