has been a member for 10 years
ThatGuy47 plays in the USPL
ThatGuy47 plays in the PSP
ThatGuy47 plays in the APPA D2 division
Critical 100G Barrel Review

Product: Critical Paintball 100G Barrel

Price: $159.99 for set available at Critical Paintball's website

Rating: A

This past weekend I was able to test out the new unreleased Criticalpainball.com 100G barrel. I was pretty excited to see just how this barrel would perform because I know that Critical Paintball has made tons of quality products over the years and this shouldn’t be any different. Jon Paul, the owner of Critical, pulled a glass back barrel out of the back of his trunk and said “Allan let me know what you think about this.” I eagerly unscrewed my Dye Ultralite barrel from my DM9 and slapped this on. A Dye Ultralite is a great barrel that is very lightweight, but compared to the Critical 100G barrel, I felt like I was using a carbon fiber barrel of some kind. An Ultralite weights 128g on average while the 100G barrel received its name because of the fact that it weighs exactly 100g on the scale. Actually the Critical 100G Barrel may be the lightest aluminum barrel made as it weights 9g less than a Lucky Unitech barrel! So a light barrel is fine and dandy but I’d rather shoot a heavy Lapco two piece then not have any accuracy whatsoever. Well after this weekend it would appear that my Lapco and my Ultralite may be taking some well deserved breaks in the near future.

The 100G barrel shot phenomenal through gameplay shooting three different kinds of paint ,Severe Tempest, Some purple balls from a white box, and WPN Toxic. I had no breaks inside the barrel, and my groupings were extremely tight across field. The sound signature of my gun, while already low, became noticeably quieter. Another performance gain that I do not think Critical was expecting was air efficiency. I had chronographed with my Ultralite before I knew I’d get to play with the 100G barrel and was sitting at 289 +/- 4. After screwing on the 100G I went back to the chrono to see a difference and was pleasantly surprised to see 314 +/- 4. I told Jon Paul my findings and he explained to me how the 7inch control bore not only increases accuracy but efficiency as well.

Aesthetically the Critical 100G barrel does not have any crazy milling or aggressive cuts but is rather smooth and simple, a style that I personally enjoy and believe compliments most guns on the market. While I simply used one gloss black Critical 100G barrel with a .691 back I was happy to hear that Critical would be releasing these as a barrel kit available in seven colors, silver dust, black dust, red dust, blue dust, black polished, red polished, and blue polished. The kit will include a .691, .693, and .695 back with a 14” front for $159.99.

At the end of the day I was quite reluctant to actually give back the barrel because it was definitely one of the best barrels I had used in recent memory and the price of $159.99 for an entire barrel kit you better believe that I’ll be ordering one these VERY soon. Extremely lightweight high grade aluminum, great style, more efficiency, super accurate: Critical 100G barrel.

-Allan Gungormez
[Source: PBGossip]
ThatGuy47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 12:36 PM #2
t0ph3r89
DPF

t0ph3r89 supports DLX Technology
not very many bore options considering i wouldn't even touch the .695 or .693, and for $160, that's really not worth it in my opinion. looks nice, though.
t0ph3r89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 01:01 PM #3
wowzerz
Pump Karni King

wowzerz is attending Decay of Nations VI
Quote:
Originally Posted by t0ph3r89 View Post
not very many bore options considering i wouldn't even touch the .695 or .693, and for $160, that's really not worth it in my opinion. looks nice, though.
Just my thought, extremely overpriced with bores that are barely used.
wowzerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 01:19 PM #4
warbeak2099
That is my foot!

Lightweight, super long control bore, quiet, accurate, efficient - All sound good to me.

$160 for a barrel that comes with one useful bore sizer - Bull****. I would have bought this in a heartbeat if it came with 3 bores that I could actually use. Critical is a great company but they really missed the ball with their bore sizes.
#12 Italian Baller
“The real test of a man is not how well he plays the role he has invented for himself, but how well he plays the role that destiny assigned to him.”
-Václav Havel
warbeak2099 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 02:49 PM #5
iday10
Insane in the Membrane

Looks like it's back to the Orbium for "lightest useful aluminum barrel kit in production"

Huzzah for Epic MD Mod Thread!

Macdev Militia
iday10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 03:43 PM #6
warbeak2099
That is my foot!

Hell give me an SM-1 with the .679 insert lol!
#12 Italian Baller
“The real test of a man is not how well he plays the role he has invented for himself, but how well he plays the role that destiny assigned to him.”
-Václav Havel
Old 08-25-2009, 04:17 PM #7
zombie187

Like others have already noted...I was very interested until I saw the barrel back sizes.

My A1 Fly came with the same size backs as this critical kit, .691, .693, .695., and I have NEVER ONCE used any of them in 6 months. They are litterally brand new sitting in the retail box. Instead I use the Angel small bore kit wich includes .685, .687, and .689.

huge thumbs down on the choice of bore sizes.

But if they get that issue resolved I think it sounds like an awesome kit that I would love to try.
zombie187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 04:30 PM #8
ThatGuy47
Matrix Man

I emailed Jon Paul from critical the feedback that was being said regarding the sizes, he immediately responded that he would be making smaller bore sizes for the kit and that we should all consider it "in the works". I expect that we could probably see the .695 being replaced by a .689 or .688 bore.
Old 08-25-2009, 10:11 PM #9
zombie187

glad to hear. Would love to try a dust kit. Do you happen to know what guns they are being threaded for. I'm sure the usual ac, but what others?

If they're wondering what sizes should be included, my vote would be for

Last edited by zombie187 : 08-25-2009 at 10:15 PM.
Old 08-25-2009, 10:17 PM #10
perezdavid

perezdavid is playing at Living Legends III
perezdavid owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
perezdavid supports Team VICIOUS
perezdavid is for the Gunfight
ive been a loyal paying customer for years now from critical and i can only say this knowing jon paul he only makes top quality products and i prob will be very suprised on what this barrel will do on the field

GET SOME
perezdavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 11:00 PM #11
warbeak2099
That is my foot!

If we're taking votes It'd be cool if he released an underbore and overbore kit for people with different preferences. The underbore kit should include a .680, .683, and .686 and the overbore should include a .689, .692, and .695. I have yet to see a company do this and coupled with the quality of Critical products, I think it would make for the absolute hands down perfect barrel kit.
#12 Italian Baller
-Václav Havel
Old 08-25-2009, 11:10 PM #12
shredxcam

685 or smallerfor my pump
Old 08-25-2009, 11:45 PM #13
ThatGuy47
Matrix Man

i've told all of your suggestions to him and I will keep you all posted on what exactly happens. I know JP and critical appreciate the input and they want to make sure that is totally usable for everyone.
Old 08-25-2009, 11:50 PM #14
zombie187

Quote:
Originally Posted by warbeak2099 View Post
If we're taking votes It'd be cool if he released an underbore and overbore kit for people with different preferences. The underbore kit should include a .680, .683, and .686 and the overbore should include a .689, .692, and .695. I have yet to see a company do this and coupled with the quality of Critical products, I think it would make for the absolute hands down perfect barrel kit.
I think for most people that would be a drawback. They would have to buy both of them. Most people who want a .683 or .686 also want maybe a .689 or .691. as well.

It would suck to have to buy 6 backs in order to get everything you need.,
Old 08-25-2009, 11:53 PM #15
warbeak2099
That is my foot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie187 View Post
I think for most people that would be a drawback. They would have to buy both of them. Most people who want a .683 or .686 also want maybe a .689 or .691. as well.

It would suck to have to buy 6 backs in order to get everything you need.,
You're right. You should be able to choose the 3 bores you want with the kit, like Powerlyte used to do with the Scepter.
#12 Italian Baller
-Václav Havel
Old 08-25-2009, 11:54 PM #16
zombie187

Quote:
Originally Posted by warbeak2099 View Post
You're right. You should be able to choose the 3 bores you want with the kit, like Powerlyte used to do with the Scepter.
that would be epic to be able to choose which 3 bore sizes you wanted.
Old 08-26-2009, 12:38 AM #17
sam68

Wow not even a .689 most people are going for smaller bores as paint is getting smaller not bigger these days. I would say do .684 .689 .691
Old 08-26-2009, 02:48 PM #18
wowzerz
Pump Karni King

wowzerz is attending Decay of Nations VI
The paint that I have used in the past month was too small for my .681 and somewhat snug in my .679
wowzerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 05:18 PM #19
tlmiller

tlmiller is for the Gunfight
Yeah, agreed with the general census. Not a chance I'd spend anywhere NEAR that for such large bores. Go with .685, .688, .691 if they're only going to do 3 bores.

Copy and paste this into your signature if you use Linux.
tlmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 06:21 PM #20
zombie187

apparently they are going to offer more sizes according to the OP of this thread...but for now this is all they are selling on their website.

I'm curious though how such an obvious bore size flaw slipped through development and production in the first place.
Old 08-26-2009, 08:45 PM #21
ThatGuy47
Matrix Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie187 View Post
apparently they are going to offer more sizes according to the OP of this thread...but for now this is all they are selling on their website.

I'm curious though how such an obvious bore size flaw slipped through development and production in the first place.
Yes JP (owner of critical) said that they would be making more bore sizes VERY Soon. Will you be able to pick which 3 you want in the kit out of all the availabe sizes or will they be predetermined? Im not sure, but when I know, you'll know.