Community Focus

Old 08-19-2009, 10:31 PM #1
DuckTape Dude
Layin' down the L.A.W.

DuckTape Dude has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
DuckTape Dude has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
DuckTape Dude has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
PVC LAW shroud

What's a good material to use to reinforce pressurized PVC? You know, something to stop shards of PVC in case it breaks.

I'd like to know of somethig thats cheap, easily available, or easy to use.
DuckTape Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 08-20-2009, 02:59 AM #2
voodoo27909
Team SoVa- XO

The force of the explosion is so violent, that added materials will only make for more flying shards...

Just a few precautions to make you alittle safer with PVC tanks and compressed air:

Change the tank out every six months or so whether it needs it or not, and inspect it before and after each use. Any strange marks...round file it. Keep your pressures LOW (70 to 100 psi), use GOOD safety pop off valves (125psi) on the tank (wouldnt hurt to have two even) , only drill through DOUBLE walled PVC, use GOOD pressure guages, if you take a hard dive and it hits...replace the tank, hard contact with anything..replace the tank, soap test it for leaks REGULARLY, have a GOOD dependable regulator feeding your air to the tank, always look at your pressure guage every five to ten minutes when the tank is charged to make sure your pressure is not creeping (you prbly know all of this already). Always treat that tank like is was live ordanance...because thats basically what it is. LOTS of respect all the time. All this assuming of course you prep'd and glued the tank correctly in the first place when building (dont laugh, Ive seen some scary guys trying to build LAW's). Remember...its not just your safety you need to worry about, its all those other un suspecting players around you that could take the brunt of an explosion.

OR....build the tank out of steel or good quality Alum (Best option). If you go through all the trouble to shield PVC with either...you might as well go alittle bit further and build the actual tank out of the stuff.

Good luck with your project.

Special thanks to:
Pinokio Hoppers/ The "Swamp"/ Engler Customs/ Valken/ Bad News Paintball/ Herbert-Lee Insurance Agency, Inc.
Old 08-20-2009, 10:53 AM #3
spudcrazy

I totally agree with VooDoo. PVC laws can be made very safely if you abide by the standards that VooDoo talks about. If you are worried about "explosions" then maybe you shouldn't be building one. The main thing is that the pressure stay below 125psi at the MAX extreme, but you should really keep it below 100psi. If built right, you can get a high velocity shot with only about 50-70psi, it just takes a bigger pressure chamber. At 100psi or below, a catastrophic chamber failure is nothing more than a big bang and crack in the PVC. Explosions occur (shards of PVC) when the pressure elevates to over 150psi or higher. Those catastrophic, shrapnel tossing explosions you have seen or heard about are from people that have no right building PVC launchers. Never use CO2 in a launcher unless you are using a metal expansion chamber, or you are powering it directly off a 12 gram. The extreme temperature change in the gas when firing can cause flash freezing of the PVC and cause it to fail.

Again, a PVC launcher can be extremely safe and robust, the big thing is to build it wisely, efficiently, and minimize the required pressure for the velocity you want, and to do this, you need to increase the size of the pressure chamber. Also, a regulator between your air source and chamber is crucial for paintball, because even the best tank regulators (Crossfire) will creep and the burst disc for a HPA tank is way greater than what you would want to feed into your pressure chamber....
spudcrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 11:07 AM #4
jvtech
HazMat from Black List

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoo27909 View Post
The force of the explosion is so violent, that added materials will only make for more flying shards...

build the tank out of steel or good quality Alum (Best option). If you go through all the trouble to shield PVC with either...you might as well go alittle bit further and build the actual tank out of the stuff.
I would agree with the above statement and go with option 2. It'll weight less if you use aluminum.
Old 08-20-2009, 12:04 PM #5
Lonus

A simple 12 gram powerd launcher with a ball valve and steel expansion chamber might be the way to go if you are concerned about using pvc. What ever you decide, do your research first. The fact that you are concerned is a good sign.
Old 08-20-2009, 12:44 PM #6
labmaster

labmaster supports our troops
Reinforcing with fiberglass mesh and fiberglass resin does indeed reduce the chance of an explosion. It also protects the air chamber from those little knicks and dings as well as abrasions.
labmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 07:26 PM #7
DuckTape Dude
Layin' down the L.A.W.

DuckTape Dude has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
DuckTape Dude has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
DuckTape Dude has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Thanks, heres my launcher as it stands now. Built out of sch40 PVC, it was completed in March, so its relatively new. I went with a lower pressure/ high volume design for saftey and usually pressurize it to 90-95 psi. My LP Palmer Reg keeps things in check and i have a 125 psi pop off and pressure gauge. Better safe than sorry. But i have one more question? What is a Soap test and how do i do it?

Last edited by DuckTape Dude : 08-20-2009 at 07:34 PM.
DuckTape Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 07:36 PM #8
speedballer519
hello there

speedballer519 owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
speedballer519 supports Team VICIOUS
speedballer519 is for the Gunfight
speedballer519 supports Sherwood Forest
speedballer519 supports Sherwood Forest
speedballer519 is reppin' sidebar 4 life
im pretty sure you put it in soapy water and it will bubble where it leaks

Hartford Hustle Xball
IM4GE Advancements
Custom Apparel☺Custom Im4ge
speedballer519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 08:36 PM #9
jvtech
HazMat from Black List

I put dish liquid soap with water in a spray bottle and spray the entire launcher to check for any leak.