Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 08-13-2009, 06:51 PM #1
BronzeG3

Which is more air efficient: QEV or TechT Bolt

Which mod is more efficient on air: a 360 QEV or a TechT Bolt? I purchased both before I was a reader here, and I have a problem with the bolt chopping the balls. With a new battery, about 100PSI out of the reg, and a dwell around 4 clicks, I get about 5 breaks per hopper. It is a pain in the butt to fill my tanks where I live, so I would like to conserve as much air as possible.
BronzeG3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 07:08 PM #2
BadRabbit
I came to bring the pain

well, what board do you have? I had both of those in the ion I aquired in a trade, it had a virtue in it though. The previous owner had the dwell up pretty high at 25 to solve the chopping issue, maybe try that first? At the very end before I traded it I kept the dwell low and didnt experience what he was and I got really good efficiency it seemed like. Good luck.
BadRabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 07:36 PM #3
BronzeG3

Thanks for the reply. I have the stock board still, maybe next time I'll try lowering the pressure and increasing the dwell.
BronzeG3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 08:29 PM #4
nycelitemaster

nycelitemaster owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
nycelitemaster has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
nycelitemaster has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by BronzeG3 View Post
Thanks for the reply. I have the stock board still, maybe next time I'll try lowering the pressure and increasing the dwell.
What Regulator are you using.. Lower ROF to 0 and Dwell to like 18. And Reg Pressure to 140 at stock. L7v2 and SP QEV 360 works like charm.. Unless you have Clippard!
nycelitemaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 09:29 PM #5
ProtoxxPaintball
USAF

ProtoxxPaintball donated to help Peyton Trent
ProtoxxPaintball supports our troops
ProtoxxPaintball is an NCPA player
ProtoxxPaintball supports Empire
What is your dwell, are you POSITIVE they are chops and not barrel breaks?
Old 08-14-2009, 08:20 AM #6
openingact
I Live My Life 300 fps

QEV is a better first upgrade than a bolt by far
Old 08-14-2009, 08:39 AM #7
nycelitemaster

nycelitemaster owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
nycelitemaster has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
nycelitemaster has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by openingact View Post
QEV is a better first upgrade than a bolt by far
Not Really, QEV is air efficient knowing it will only help you alot more when you have lighter bolt. Putting QEV with Stock Bolt doesn't do good itself.. probablly gives you approx 30-50 extra shots
nycelitemaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 09:00 AM #8
openingact
I Live My Life 300 fps

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycelitemaster View Post
Not Really, QEV is air efficient knowing it will only help you alot more when you have lighter bolt. Putting QEV with Stock Bolt doesn't do good itself.. probablly gives you approx 30-50 extra shots
ha, actually yes really. A QEV helps regardless of the bolt. Since the QEV releases the air where it does instead of at the solenoid you are able to lower your dwell and increase your CPS. For most people that don't know how to fully tweak their setting with an HP or Techt bolt they would actually have better effiecency with a normal bolt with tail with 2 orings even though it would be heavier.

If you actually understood how the ion worked then you would know that.
Old 08-14-2009, 09:32 AM #9
SHADOWofFAIR

SHADOWofFAIR supports Team VICIOUS
SHADOWofFAIR has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
SHADOWofFAIR has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
SHADOWofFAIR has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by openingact View Post
ha, actually yes really. A QEV helps regardless of the bolt. Since the QEV releases the air where it does instead of at the solenoid you are able to lower your dwell and increase your CPS. For most people that don't know how to fully tweak their setting with an HP or Techt bolt they would actually have better effiecency with a normal bolt with tail with 2 orings even though it would be heavier.

If you actually understood how the ion worked then you would know that.
But since the l7 has a plug with two orings on it, and it never moves compared to the orange nano or l6 which also have two orings but the tail slides fowrard I would say that that the l7 is more efficiant over those. But I'm only curiouse so I'm not tryin to challeng your knoledge or start a pointless argument.

SP original/Ion XE lover right here
SHADOWofFAIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 09:49 AM #10
DSDM
Dark Side Donut Master

DSDM plays in the PSP
DSDM donated to help Peyton Trent
DSDM owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
DSDM owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
DSDM is Legendary
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHADOWofFAIR View Post
But since the l7 has a plug with two orings on it, and it never moves compared to the orange nano or l6 which also have two orings but the tail slides fowrard I would say that that the l7 is more efficiant over those. But I'm only curiouse so I'm not tryin to challeng your knoledge or start a pointless argument.
No the twin tail orings on the bolts like the L6 actually have the air inlet between the orings while the bolt is forward not allowing any more air to be dumped into the firing chamber while the marker is being fired. Thus avoiding wasting of air.

The L7 bolt plug does not seal off the firing can from the air inlet while the bolt is forward.
PTI Certified Master Airsmith #2822
Sergeant First Class, U.S. Army, Retired (1983-2003)
Facebook
DSDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 10:04 AM #11
openingact
I Live My Life 300 fps

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHADOWofFAIR View Post
I'm not worried about anyone challenging what I say. I have made mistakes before and I will again. Plus if you're curious and if you odn't ask you may never know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSDM View Post
No the twin tail orings on the bolts like the L6 actually have the air inlet between the orings while the bolt is forward not allowing any more air to be dumped into the firing chamber while the marker is being fired. Thus avoiding wasting of air.

The L7 bolt plug does not seal off the firing can from the air inlet while the bolt is forward.
. Old wise man nails it.

To expand slightly further that is why bolts such as the HP and L7s have to have proper settings to make the efficiency increase. If you have bad settings with those bolts chances are that you will only have minimal performance increase over the stock bolt at best.

It would be like buying really awesome speakers for your car and cross wiring everything. All the world in performance potential, but all lost with bad installation/settings.
Old 08-14-2009, 10:09 AM #12
Tekcoo

So you guy for the most part are saying that if i have a stock ion (other than the trigger barrel and feed neck) the best way to make my gun more efficient, with out spending alot would be to buy a QEV
Tekcoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 10:13 AM #13
openingact
I Live My Life 300 fps

Without a doubt. There's a few different kinds, but just save yourself the trouble and get the SP 360. The install is easy, the performance is great and it's the only made specifically for the ion. They're typically around $20
Old 08-14-2009, 10:45 AM #14
Tekcoo

ok thanks, i have another questions,,,, ok now should i put money into getting a virtue board and better internal parts for the ion or after the QEV just save my money to get and EOS i am looking at getting an EOS but i dont want to spend more than 200 bucks on it... what do you think i should do. eather upgrade the ion or buy the EOS?
Old 08-14-2009, 10:48 AM #15
openingact
I Live My Life 300 fps

Buy the EOS if you like how it looks and everything. A board isn't even really needed on the ion. The trigger, feedneck, asa, barrel and detents all usually are upgraded next. It's kind of an opinion things that will range from person to person.

If you have any other questions not answered in the stickies feel free to make a thread rather than highjack any others or further highjack this one.
Old 08-14-2009, 10:51 AM #16
Tekcoo

lol ok thanks
Old 08-14-2009, 11:34 AM #17
nerdcore
Radical!

has been a member for 10 years
nerdcore is playing at Living Legends VII
nerdcore is a top reviewer
I agree that a qev is a better upgrade than an aftermarket bolt. My ion is essentially stock internally, save a 360 qev. From what i could surmise, it provided an efficiency boost equivalent to about a pod (dwell=20, velocity=285-ish, recharge=??... i set it so the ion was capped at 15, however many clicks that is in relation to the dwell).
nerdcore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 12:18 AM #18
SHADOWofFAIR

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSDM View Post

So a finely tuned hp/l7+qev< finely tuned l6/nano even tho the nano or l6 are almost double the weight of their advanced brothers?

Old 08-15-2009, 06:12 AM #19
spug
spuggles

Annual Supporting Member
spug is a Moderator
spug is a Supporting Member
spug is BST Legit
spug donated to help Peyton Trent
spug supports our troops
spug is Legendary
Bolts with 2 tail o-rings will be the most efficient.

Since it doesn't matter if the dwell time is 20 milliseconds, or 20 minutes, it can only dump the air that is in the can.
spug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 11:22 PM #20
SHADOWofFAIR

Sweet Now i want an l6 so I can mill it down to make it light
thanks you guys I just learned a lil bit more abou my ion.

Old 08-16-2009, 08:28 AM #21
openingact
I Live My Life 300 fps

I wouldn't touch anything on an L6 since it's basically perfect the way it is. Plus there are a limited number of them out there and if it breaks you'll be screwed.