DuckTape Dude has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Hey put some pics up of the lawn mower tank! Sounds innovative
DuckTape Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 08-21-2009, 08:10 PM #23
Wayoldschool
Pilsen Panzers Commander

A paintball tank is a specialized vehicle. It has to offer a good field of vision, it cannot go very fast, it has to have torque for hills and rough ground, and it can't be so noisy that you have to scream when you are trying to warn if off running you over in your excellent ghillie camouflage. So, really, golf carts, lawn mowers, burden carriers, etc., are excellent for a motorized paintball tank. Real tanks, or vehicles very much like them, while excellent, cool looking and a testament to the skills of their creators, are not just very nearly blind, but potentially quite dangerous. A lot of men were crushed to death while trying to hide behind a tank that suddenly started backing up during the early part of WWII until an outside jack was installed where soldiers on the outside could communicate with the crew. This feature should also be present if you're going to create something that authentic.
Wayoldschool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 11:59 PM #24
True North

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cromagnum Tankerman View Post
... The turret is made from a wood frame supported with chloraplas (plastic cardboard). This material does take a beating and holds and usually around $10 for a 4x8 sheet. ...
Where do you get this? I went with hardboard not just because of the price but also availability. I can't find any plastic material locally or very cheaply on the net. And when I do find it not only is it expensive there's the added shipping cost.
True North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 06:25 AM #25
Cromagnum Tankerman
Cromagnum Tank Commander

This type of material is normally used with moving/construction companies. They put it on the walls on newly painted areas so when they move in or have completed areas the walls wont get damaged. I'll check with my friend who orders it from some company and it gets delivered to his house. I will then let you or others know how to obtain it. This material is quite durable and can take a beaten.

Nelson
Team Cromagnum
Cromagnum Tankerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 01:40 AM #26
Greyknight Jazzious

Greyknight Jazzious is attending Decay of Nations VI
Greyknight Jazzious is attending Decay of Nations VII
No one believes in foot power?

I have always believed that motorized tank are for the sponsored
Or wealthy. Most people or groups just can afford it. However with a
Little planning and the right materials greatness can be foot powered.
Our group has made a truly impressive "tank" with PVC, luan (a thin board
Found at most large hardware stores like Home Depot) and wheel
Barrel wheels.
Keep in mind that motorized tanks have more mobility but lack support do to the
No player zone they have while in motion. PUGs do have that limitation.
The more you PUG uses troop support the stronger it is.
Our tank was used in Decay of Nation II and III. Everytime we hit
A zone it shortly became our zone.
Power to the PUG!
Greyknight Jazzious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 07:59 AM #27
Boom Master
Scenario Player

Here is what I make my back pack based walking tank out of.
Super LIGHT. A 4x8 sheet is 7.25 pounds.

Since I have to CARRY it all day. Weight is super critical. The body shell weighs 20 pounds and then I add 45 pounds of paintball gear.

Carrying that autoloading cannon and a 513 ci. (no typo) x 3000 psi air tank would be impossible if that shell weighed any more...

It is called Polycarbonate Twin wall. They use it for pool enclosures, greenhouses etc. It takes HAIL and paintballs.

This is the 90 degree profile I join the sheets with. Glue using superglue and fabrication will go very fast. Get a LARGE bottle from your local hobby shop.

http://www.modernplastics.com/macrol...le-p-1141.html

It isn't cheap but you don't use much. It will take a HOPPER of 300 fps paintballs point blank at the same spot and not crack or split..

Here is the list of products. You can find them elsewhere too.
http://www.modernplastics.com/macrol...06aae7a98d3657

Some guys SWEAR chloroplast works. Every sample I shot paintballs at split. Every tank I've seen made with it also had splits in the plastic. So get a SAMPLE before you buy it and make sure it will hold up and not have to be replaced every year.

Last edited by Boom Master : 09-05-2009 at 08:01 AM.
Boom Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 11:03 PM #28
b.rose

wow, you guys have came up with alot of ideas for tanks, i've now completed my second tank. the first was a 4x4 small truck with a topper. the topper was the main support for the actual turret consisting of plexi glass and 2x2 boards. with this i also used a computerchair for a seat, then connected the upper to the lower via a few straps of iron. on the back of the seat i made a bracket that would support a 20lb co2 tank, above the opperators head, i made a bulk hopper that would easily hold over 3000 rnds. all in all, gun, hoppers and all other ends, i figured about 500 dollars invested.
my second tank i've utilized a manual transmission and the steer axle fraom a junk lawn mower. i stretched the distance to around 8'. this made just enought room for a drivers cockpit and an area for a turret. i utilized a semi bad wheelbearing and rotor from a car to make a 360 degree rotating seat. bucket seats from an old sports car work wonders. note: the seats and axles were freebees so i didnt spend much there. the trans axle was belt driven so all i had to do is get a small engine to power the tank. the hard part was designing the belt tensioner and "clutching" cable, which allowes me to shift gears, 4 gears forward, from a dead creep to about 8 mph. plus the pullys can be bought at a local farm store which allows me to change my speed ratios even more. i use the same guns, but different bulk set up from my preveious tank, two 07 spider piolets with electric triggers. also in the set up are two force feed revies wired with intermitent switchs that turn the hoppers on when the triggers are pulled. total spent so far on this tank minus the guns and hoppers is around 350 buck. i'm not sure how to put pics up or else i happily would. but if you have aproblem and need an idea as work around something. just ask.
b.rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 12:29 PM #29
shawndorts

the canadians know everything!!!

http://api.ning.com/files/3K*7ow0Ic7...anadasArmy.jpg
shawndorts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 10:51 PM #30
BlackAngelSS
The Black Korps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyknight Jazzious View Post
I have always believed that motorized tank are for the sponsored
Or wealthy. Most people or groups just can afford it. However with a
Little planning and the right materials greatness can be foot powered.
Our group has made a truly impressive "tank" with PVC, luan (a thin board
Found at most large hardware stores like Home Depot) and wheel
Barrel wheels.
Keep in mind that motorized tanks have more mobility but lack support do to the
No player zone they have while in motion. PUGs do have that limitation.
The more you PUG uses troop support the stronger it is.
Our tank was used in Decay of Nation II and III. Everytime we hit
A zone it shortly became our zone.
Power to the PUG!
In my opinion the term tank is used way too loosely in paintball. Have fun carrying some shell around the field, up hills, in the snow and mud. ill be warm, dry and smiling sitting in front of my motor

http://1sspanzerkorps.com/
BlackAngelSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 07:33 PM #31
brian92

k
brian92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 10:38 AM #32
Cromagnum Tankerman
Cromagnum Tank Commander

tank terminology!

I would like to make a comment regarding BlackangelSS comment "the term tank is used to loosely in paintball". I have been playing in a tank type of vehicle now for over two years. My first tanking experience was at Skirmish ION '07 when I was asked to run a mission late in the game. Apparantly the American General needed some tank support for a assault and wanted to spend the rest of his game cash. I was basically the only person remaining in camp since I was there to distribute game props. I had never been in a tank before. The only tank we had was there and I was the only person remaining that could have run it. So I relunctantly said "i'll do it" and ran the mission. I had a blast on this mission and got hooked. Now that I have been playing now for a while and have been exposed to other tanks, tankers, players, and websites. My eyes have furthered opened to this tanking idealology. I would agree the term is used pretty loosely. But in a way what else are we suppose to call them at this point. The only terms I have heard is fighting assault vehicle (FAV)and ghetto tank. My best guess here is that these terms refer to anything other then a scaled type of tank. For many of us including myself the only way I can currently play would be in a tanking vehicle in the classification of a FAV or ghetto tank. My tanking vehicle or I would now classify as a FAV is constructed from a 22 HP riding lawnmower. Myself and few friends have modified this FAV into a vehicle that has now proven its reliabilty and effectiveness on the field. In a way I regret it doesnt live up to the standards of the people who want only real looking tanks on the field of play. If I had the money, talent, maybe sponsors, find an insurance company in the state I live in, and more time to play. I would build or buy a more scaled type of tanking vehicle. I have a few friends that have scaled tanks and they have explained they have spent as much as $10K to build plus a money pit to maintain and transport. I have played at numerous fields now here on the East coast and have seen all kinds of tanking type vehicles. I have seen all sorts on tank contraptions and some that are very creative in their makings. Others you wondered was the person (s) that built it were on drugs or something. We are all different and our conceptions of a tanking vehicles are obviously different. I think we should all just go out and have fun with whatever tank looking or ghetto vehicle we have. Until some national standard is set for what a tank should look like before it goes on any field. BTW, BlackangelSS. The reason you'll be warm, dry, and smiling sitting in front of your motor is because your an ambush player from the games I have seen you play in. You dont move much and you allow other tanks to come to you . Which is a fine tactic that works for you and you have gotten numerous tank kills on, including me. But, you do have one of the best looking types of tanking vehicles that I have seen.

Treaddz
Team CroMagnum
Old 10-25-2009, 11:30 PM #33
BlackAngelSS
The Black Korps

I was reffering to walking "tanks" they would be in the robocop class haha lol. i mean its getting absurd, you have guys covering their vehicles with only a blue tarp and showing up as a tank. you did a very nice job building your machine

I think some like mine and yours and a bunch of others could be in the tank class even though they dont have functioning tracks.they do have mounted cannons and somewhat resemble tanks.

Others are more like "Armored cars" with handheld launchers if any inside. ( no shane thats not a shot at you i know youll build a cannon ) lol.

anything motorized is an armored vehicle(as long as if offers protection from paintballs of course)

its not a big deal what we call them.im just not calling a backpack a tank. no offence to people who have them. Personally i am going to distingush for my units kill records. (yes we keep track). shooting a rolling box with no anti tank weapon wont count the same as taking out another tank thats firing rounds at you from 60 yards away. personally the most competitive tank crews ive came up against where Eds from high energy @ spring 09 west point.

ambush player?? thats one tactic we use of course.why wouldnt we? Our tank is modeled after a German tank destroyer. i assess the situation and act accordingly.when against enemy Tanks some times we stay back and take the long shots(We usually have the edge that way) sometimes we inch up cautiously and engage. sometimes we attack full speed(5mph only of course lol). At skirmish i usually stay away from the a/t players unless i have good infantry support. the rules dont allow us to blow the bunkers so assaulting them is a suicide mission. but if we have an objective and they are in the way we do what we can.

some of the time im not even in the tank ,Manual my Real German Panzer grenadier and current panzer crewman has been key to alot of our success. Hes one of the top Tank cannon gunners in the northeast. together with him driving and gunning and me commanding and shooting infantry it works out well. the best tank crews are ones that do it alot together. the msb guys are very good as well, they have the same crew at most games and even drive their tank to train on friday nights lol. they dont always come back with all their wheels but they are out there training. hahah just messing w the wheels.

Id LOVE to see larger and cometitive tank battles. Its just that it costs so much to be a tanker it restrics the numbers obviously.

Last edited by BlackAngelSS : 10-26-2009 at 12:02 AM.
Old 10-26-2009, 10:10 AM #34
Boom Master
Scenario Player

Who cares what it looks like? The 'tarp tanks' are not over running the country. If they have fun, they will build something better. If not, they throw the tarp full of holes away and enjoy a few stories over some beers..

We are lucky to have ONE or TWO tanks at MOST games. Lets not make it harder to field a tank or riducule those that bring a 'ghetto' tank.

The whole idea it to have FUN playing paintball... Everybody.

Most tankers build their tanks to be effective playing AT paintball games. To do so you need a LOT of netting and visibility to defend yourself from RPGs and to see your enemies. The result is they will NEVER look anything like REAL Armor. The tanks that are built to resemble REAL armor have FUN doing the build or they would not spend the time and the money to do it. That's great!

We all enjoy seeing tanks like that at games.

But as a Anti Tank player for years, I LOVED seeing them show up with all that armor plate and gun ports. We filled the gun ports with paint and I took my RPG shot from one of their NUMEROUS BLIND SPOTS that I reconned BEFORE the game... They get frustrated because they get shot out so much when the spent so much time and effort with the expectation that they would kick booty out there in the REAL armor. What I witness over 5-6 years at the Tour of Duty where the GERMAN tanks kept whining and whining about being eliminated 'too easily' and the game went from a Nerf hit anywhere, to a Nerf hitting a 2 foot square target, to the paintballs with very limited anti tank ammo striking very SMALL targets on the tanks. It was how they BUILT their armor and how they PLAYED in it that was their handicap. My ghetto walking tank was BUILT for that game. I did not have the problems they had because of design. No armor ever had more kills on me that I had on them. Smaller was better, going off road allowed mobility, ambush, and I could use a big TREE for cover, lean out, and pop them with my cannon. I could raise heck with the enemy infantry because my infantry and I would work together as a unit. I could flank and get behind any bottle neck and devestate most infantry defenses so the infantry could push through. It was MADE to play that series using their RULES to my advantage in constructing and designing the tank.

Our helicopters are a product of our imagination as well. A pole with a board nailed to the top of it is a FANCY one.

Ditto the Goodwill purses called 'satchel charges', communications centers with a CB antenna zip tied to a pole, bridges, HQs, Space Based Particle Weapons, Carrier Air Strikes, Tactical Nukes, Cyborgs, EM Pulse Grenades.

They require the players to use their imagination and it kinda WORKS.

Why not the vast majority of "tanks" whose resemblence to a real tank is only a cannon barrel and machine gun? Just a part of the game like all that OTHER stuff we have FUN playing with.
Old 10-26-2009, 04:49 PM #35
Cromagnum Tankerman
Cromagnum Tank Commander

Well said Boom Master! I agree with everything you said!
Old 10-26-2009, 05:31 PM #36
BlackAngelSS
The Black Korps

I dont think the guys in the tarp tank had much fun. they had to stick their heads out to see and got shot up bad. they left the field quick.

Regardless of what anyone says a box on your head or a Tarp on a golf cart isnt a "tank" . a push tank is still a tank. improvised fighting vehicle sure. or Mech suit or something sure.

a tanks is-
"A tank is a tracked, armoured fighting vehicle designed for front-line combat which combines operational mobility and tactical offensive and defensive capabilities. Firepower is normally provided by a large-calibre main gun in a rotating turret and secondary machine guns, while heavy armour and all-terrain mobility provide protection for the tank and its crew, allowing it to perform all primary tasks of the armoured troops on the battlefield."

obvoulsy tracks are too expensive for most but alot of people still put the effort of painted on tracks ect to add to the realism.

the Key component to be a TANK is a MAIN CANNON. without this you are just an Armored CAR. there is no shame in being an armored car or infantry fighting vehicle. but if you dont have the capability to fight other tanks you are not a tank PERIOD.

no my Panzer isnt a tank either its considered a Tank Destroyer. as it has no turrett. but its still in the Tank class.

Old 10-26-2009, 05:53 PM #37
Lordastaris

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackAngelSS View Post
I dont think the guys in the tarp tank had much fun. they had to stick their heads out to see and got shot up bad. they left the field quick.

Regardless of what anyone says a box on your head or a Tarp on a golf cart isnt a "tank" . a push tank is still a tank. improvised fighting vehicle sure. or Mech suit or something sure.

a tanks is-
"A tank is a tracked, armoured fighting vehicle designed for front-line combat which combines operational mobility and tactical offensive and defensive capabilities. Firepower is normally provided by a large-calibre main gun in a rotating turret and secondary machine guns, while heavy armour and all-terrain mobility provide protection for the tank and its crew, allowing it to perform all primary tasks of the armoured troops on the battlefield."

obvoulsy tracks are too expensive for most but alot of people still put the effort of painted on tracks ect to add to the realism.

the Key component to be a TANK is a MAIN CANNON. without this you are just an Armored CAR. there is no shame in being an armored car or infantry fighting vehicle. but if you dont have the capability to fight other tanks you are not a tank PERIOD.

no my Panzer isnt a tank either its considered a Tank Destroyer. as it has no turrett. but its still in the Tank class.
Im not saying Im oging to make anything Im just wondering, How do you make a Troop transport/tank? Also isnt it very expensive?
If you are a christian paintballer, put this in your sig.
Lordastaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 06:53 PM #38
BlackAngelSS
The Black Korps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lordastaris View Post
Im not saying Im oging to make anything Im just wondering, How do you make a Troop transport/tank? Also isnt it very expensive?
you can make a troop transport however you like. it just has to hold people

Or maybee according to boommaster you could put someone on your back and call yourself a troop transport hahahahahahahah

sorry i couldnt help it

one of those long golf carts with some big wheels and a posi rear might make a decent transport. you could move like 7 people plus the driver

Old 10-27-2009, 07:48 AM #39
Boom Master
Scenario Player

The transports I have played with are basically VANS. Turret out the roof right between and just behind the front two seats. Gun ports down the sides and back. They would stuff them with as many players as they can. Roll up to the objective and bail out. If they were on the OTHER SIDE we would try to bazooka it before they unload. Otherwise, the doors are getting hammered with paintballs waiting to open. Sometimes they change their minds and move farther down the road so they have a better chance of exiting the vehicle.

BlackAngelSS,

I DO have a grand baby on the way...... Hmmmmmmmm.......... My weak spot is from behind. Maybe a rear gunner...... Hmmmmmm......

Last edited by Boom Master : 10-27-2009 at 07:52 AM.
Old 10-27-2009, 11:35 AM #40
EGOed

Sorry Boom, ....us field owners have minimum age limits for paintballers.....
Your just going to have to hire a midget for your rear backpack turret gunner.....
You can call him "MiniBoom"......lol
Old 10-28-2009, 08:23 AM #41
Boom Master
Scenario Player

Well, they have been known to make exceptions if they are in a tank. The first hurdle is my daughter in law. She is from Europe and very anti gun and just doesn't understand America's love affair with guns. Won't let my boy keep his deer rifle in the house...
Old 10-28-2009, 08:41 PM #42
b.rose

well, best way i know, is to take a 6x6 or an 8x8 and make a shell for it. most of all, make sure that its pretty well bullet proof so that your guys dont get shot up. g/f found one on craigs list or e'bay for like 1500, ball park. less you decide to go frame up creation on an older vehicle. its about the only way you cna get a full fram non vin other than a 6x6 or 8x8. sides 6x6 and 8x8 have the same mauvering capabilities as an actual tank. short turn radius.
b.rose is offline   Reply With Quote