PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 07-01-2015, 07:58 PM #1
Dani787878

Need help please

Hi everyone,

Nice to meet you all via this forum. My hubby and I moved to Australia a little while back. He is a big paintballer and have brought over his paintball gun. His cylinder/air supply does not fit here in Australia.

He keeps on teasing me that I don't care about paintball so I want to learn as much I can and surprise him with a new cylinder for his gun for his birthday.

Can you guys help me with tips of the best cylinders out there? I've been researching online but still find it confusing. And anybody out there from Australia?

thx very much
Dani787878 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 07-01-2015, 08:01 PM #2
WoodChuck65

WoodChuck65 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
WoodChuck65 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Are you talking about HPA tanks? The air tanks that screw into the marker? If so Ninja is the best company out there for them if you don't mind the hefty price.
Old 07-01-2015, 08:20 PM #3
seahiker
Off. OT OG forum Tr.

seahiker has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dani787878 View Post
.... His cylinder/air supply does not fit here in Australia.

He keeps on teasing me that I don't care about paintball so I want to learn as much I can and surprise him with a new cylinder for his gun for his birthday.
Well, he's teasing you all right. I don't know what part of his does not fit in Australia, but the air tanks are the same as everywhere...
seahiker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 08:44 PM #4
gamer565
Read the manual!!

Annual Supporting Member
gamer565 is playing at Living Legends VI
gamer565 is playing at Living Legends VII
gamer565 posts videos on PbNation
gamer565 is reppin' sidebar 4 life
gamer565 has achieved Level 6 in PbNation Pursuit
gamer565 is one of the top 100 posters on PbNation
gamer565 is Boss
Quote:
Originally Posted by seahiker View Post
Well, he's teasing you all right. I don't know what part of his does not fit in Australia, but the air tanks are the same as everywhere...
DOT tanks can not be used everywhere, only US or other countries that might use the DOT system.

Europe has Pi and Canada has TC.

gamer565 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 09:33 PM #5
seahiker
Off. OT OG forum Tr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamer565 View Post
DOT tanks can not be used everywhere, only US or other countries that might use the DOT system.

Europe has Pi and Canada has TC.
They will still fit...
Thread size is 0.625-18 UNF

For instance: http://www.amsys.com.tw/en/products/paintball_na.html
Old 07-01-2015, 09:37 PM #6
gamer565
Read the manual!!

Annual Supporting Member
gamer565 is playing at Living Legends VI
gamer565 is playing at Living Legends VII
gamer565 posts videos on PbNation
gamer565 is reppin' sidebar 4 life
gamer565 has achieved Level 6 in PbNation Pursuit
gamer565 is one of the top 100 posters on PbNation
gamer565 is Boss
Quote:
Originally Posted by seahiker View Post
They will still fit...
Thread size is 0.625-18 UNF

For instance: http://www.amsys.com.tw/en/products/paintball_na.html
They will still fit, but getting it filled will be illegal and come with hefty penalty.

gamer565 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 10:36 PM #7
seahiker
Off. OT OG forum Tr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamer565 View Post
They will still fit, but getting it filled will be illegal and come with hefty penalty.
Oh well... gotta love nowadays bureaucracy...
Playing with all American gear was perfectly legal in Spain just a few years ago.
Old 07-01-2015, 10:51 PM #8
Fubarius
Yep, it's orange.

Annual Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
Fubarius supports our troops
Fubarius has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Fubarius has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Fubarius is a Forum Captain
So, doing some quick research I've found a few things that may be useful.

Just to make sure everything is properly legal, make sure you get the air tank from a shop that's actually in Australia. High pressure air is no joke, and each country tends to have their own rules. www.paintballshop.com is in that country, can't say if they're any good though, they were just the first result on a search, but at least anything they sell should have the right stamps on the tank.

Second, you did fill out the proper forms for owning a paintball gun in Australia, right?
http://www.paintballshop.com/paintba...-licence-info/
Each state and territory tends to be a little different, so pay attention to that. And if you're in the Northern Territory or Tasmania you can't have one at all.

And the quick and dirty guide for air tanks.
3000psi systems. Doesn't hold many shots, all metal tanks are heavy, but cost considerably less.
4500psi systems. Holds 50% more shots compared to a 3000psi tank of the same size, often come in larger sizes for even more shots, uses fibre wrapped bottles that are stronger and considerably lighter than the all metal
tanks, but cost considerably more.

CO2 tanks are way less expensive and can hold quite a few shots worth of gas, but NOT all guns can use it, and overall shot consistency isn't as good as high pressure compressed air. Find out what he used before.

Nunquam emere potes facere

Last edited by Fubarius : 07-02-2015 at 06:12 AM. Reason: Oops!!
Fubarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 05:04 AM #9
masiman

masiman is playing at Living Legends VIII
masiman owns a Planet Eclipse Etha
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fubarius View Post
....3000psi systems. Doesn't hold many shots, all metal tanks are heavy, but cost considerably more....
I am not sure what Fubarius was comparing in the more and less expensive part. To give you an idea of relative cost, prices in the US are roughly ~$25 for a CO2 tank, ~$50 for a 3k tank and ~$150 for a 4.5k tank. There will be cheaper and more expensive tanks in each category.

If he is a big paintballer he probably uses or wants the more expensive 4500 psi HPA tank. Ninja tanks are generally the most desirable here in the US. I see some fields not offering to refill or charging extra to refill CO2. I would check locally what is being used and ease of refill.

With each tank type there are different size tanks. In the US and probably there tanks will be advertised as two numbers, e.g. 48/3000, 68/4500. The first number is how much air the tank can hold (cubic inches in US). I imagine you may see liters in Australia. Shapes of tanks can vary a little. Some will be longer and others rounder.

The 4500 tanks are now coming in lighter versions. Here Ninja advertises these as "SL", superlight. Lighter is more desirable but also more expensive.

If Ninja is available, I don't think you could go wrong with them. The regulator, which is the part that has the threads and gauge, has options. They come in different output pressures. He will probably need regular output as opposed to Low or High output, but that will depend on what gun he has. Different guns will want different pressures coming from the tank. That is one job the regulator does, it regulates the tank pressure down to a usable pressure by the gun.

It sounds like alot but once you figure out a size and pressure needed, your choices will narrow. He will likely want a 4500psi tank, as light as possible, 68 cubic inch/1.1 liter, with a regular pressure regulator. A local shop should be able to help you further.

Last edited by masiman : 07-02-2015 at 05:07 AM.
masiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 06:17 AM #10
Fubarius
Yep, it's orange.

Annual Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
Fubarius supports our troops
Fubarius has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Fubarius has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Fubarius is a Forum Captain
Quote:
Originally Posted by masiman View Post
I am not sure what Fubarius was comparing in the more and less expensive part.
Oops, was a little too quick on my "quick and dirty" summary and didn't catch the typo. Should have had "less" there.

Nunquam emere potes facere
Fubarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 10:48 AM #11
seahiker
Off. OT OG forum Tr.

Quote:
Second, you did fill out the proper forms for owning a paintball gun in Australia, right?
http://www.paintballshop.com/paintba...-licence-info/
Ouch!
I am not moving to Australia...
Old 07-02-2015, 12:17 PM #12
masiman

masiman is playing at Living Legends VIII
masiman owns a Planet Eclipse Etha
Quote:
Oops, was a little too quick on my "quick and dirty" summary and didn't catch the typo. Should have had "less" there.
No worries, I am pretty sure you know more about tanks than me . I thought rough costs and things to look out for would help her get something to surprise her hubby.
masiman is offline   Reply With Quote