Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 08-18-2014, 12:57 AM #1
AceLogan

Anything like the VM-68 these days?

Hello All, looking to get back into Paintball after getting out of it a decade ago.

I sold my VM-68 through these forums back then and would really like to get something like it again. I had an extended barrel, custom trigger (don't remember the brand/name,) dual tank setup with one under-barrel and the second used as a stock with the addition of a plastic cap on the end to pull up against my shoulder. I preferred to play a sniper/support/defense roll on my team and the VM was perfect for this.

But the best part was the solid, "kuh-chunk" noise it made when it fired that everyone could hear across the field. It had a nice long distance and a pretty good rate of fire too.

Last edited by AceLogan : 08-18-2014 at 01:23 AM.
AceLogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 08-18-2014, 01:42 AM #2
eforce
Factory PB

Annual Supporting Member
eforce is a Moderator
 has been a member for 10 years
eforce plays in the PSP
eforce is an NCPA player
Pump markers are still produced despite the market share of their electronic counterparts. I haven't looked in a while but last time I checked you can still buy CCM pump kits or the pre-assembled Empire "Sniper" if you want a marker that's ready to go.
Old 08-18-2014, 03:53 AM #3
slowpoke94133

slowpoke94133 owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
slowpoke94133 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
slowpoke94133 has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
slowpoke94133 supports Empire
VM-68 is not a pump.
Closest thing I can think of is something from Tippman.
You're better off getting a new gun with better options. VM-68 is outdated. It's a blast, but out dated.
Old 08-18-2014, 07:56 AM #4
Nahib_Stilgar

They pop up on MCB fairly regularly. Put up a WTB there and you should be able to get one without too much wait or trouble...
Nahib_Stilgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 10:51 AM #5
The Inflicted
.detcilfnI ehT

Technically, the Spyder and other stacked tube blowbacks are the direct, mechanical descendants of the VM's design.
Are you looking for something that works like a VM, looks like a VM, or do you just want something that's ungodly heavy?
The Inflicted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 12:23 PM #6
MstrKey

MstrKey is a founding member
MstrKey is for the Gunfight
MstrKey supports our troops
Grab a brick, tape a spyder to it and you have a Vm-68

Black/Purple Spire F/s. Freshly updated from Virtue.
MstrKey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 03:01 PM #7
AceLogan

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Inflicted View Post
Technically, the Spyder and other stacked tube blowbacks are the direct, mechanical descendants of the VM's design.
Are you looking for something that works like a VM, looks like a VM, or do you just want something that's ungodly heavy?
I'm more interested in having the range and accuracy. I've been looking at the Spyder, but I'll need to see if I can rent or borrow one before sinking money into it.
Old 08-18-2014, 03:03 PM #8
AceLogan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MstrKey View Post
Grab a brick, tape a spyder to it and you have a Vm-68
That was the downside to them. Heavier then three other markers put together. Was a blast to use though.
Old 08-18-2014, 03:27 PM #9
badmonkey38

Quote:
Originally Posted by AceLogan View Post
Hello All, looking to get back into Paintball after getting out of it a decade ago.

I sold my VM-68 through these forums back then and would really like to get something like it again. I had an extended barrel, custom trigger (don't remember the brand/name,) dual tank setup with one under-barrel and the second used as a stock with the addition of a plastic cap on the end to pull up against my shoulder. I preferred to play a sniper/support/defense roll on my team and the VM was perfect for this.

But the best part was the solid, "kuh-chunk" noise it made when it fired that everyone could hear across the field. It had a nice long distance and a pretty good rate of fire too.
As some have said on here the Spyder's are the closest in functionally to the VM's, but its sounding to me like maybe your looking more for that "real gun" feel in which case you may want to look at the Tippmanns, BT's and other similar types which is what are referred to now as "Mil-Sim" guns.
If you want more of the reto-feel, Empire has resurrected the Autococker and you can still find many Automags on Ebay. You can get the best of both worlds with a GOG Enmey, many compare the shot to a mag, but its light weight like a speedball gun. Again this is all assuming you want to stick with a mech gun instead of an eletro gun.
badmonkey38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 03:34 PM #10
Robotech

Robotech is attending Decay of Nations VII
Man, no love for the old VM-68? LOL

As has been mentioned, your modern day Spyders are the closest thing you'll come to a new version of the VM-68.

You can also find Warsensor WS-66s, MilTec MT-66s and Armotech WG-65s. The 66's have a barrel in them that puts a backspin on the ball giving it a flatter trajectory and a bit longer distance than a standard barrel. Right now you can find a couple WG-65s on eBay. Note, the Sim-4 (while sometimes carrying the Armotech name) is not the same as the WG/WS/MT line. It was actually made by a different company than the Warsensor/Miltec line. Long story on that but just keep that in mind.

Having said all that, things have changed a LOT in the time you've been gone. Look into First Strike rounds (FSRs) if you liked playing a sniper role. No standard paintball will match their range. Not even close. Markers that use these rounds are magazine fed and if you only want to go FSR you have a lot of choices. If you want to shoot both FSR and regular paint at the same time (ie be able to switch back and forth on the field) about your only two choices today for that are the Spyder MR5 (about $300) or the Dye DAM (about $1,300). Obviously the $1,000 price difference means there is a ton of difference between these two markers. Personally, I shoot a DAM and love it. I played with a Warsensor WS-66 for 9 years (which uses a VM-68 powerfeed assembly) and didn't retire it until the DAM came out.

Some things to note:
The DAM weighs in at about 4.99lbs with a 12 round magazine installed. I know my WS-66 was close to 13lbs with all my sights on it. I'd say my DAM is at least a good 5-7 lbs lighter than my WS.

The WS-66 I have can get off a good 7 shots per second if I really push. Most modern markers, including my DAM, have no issue getting to 12+ bps. (Actually my DAM can be set to about 30+ bps but most fields limit your rate of fire to 15 bps or less.)

A good force fed hopper like the Dye Rotor is a must if you're going to shoot faster than about 10 bps.

HPA is the air source of choice today. You get to refil all day and if you run remote, the bigger tanks will let you play almost all day on a fill. (Went out with a 100ci 4500 psi tank, shot about 700-800 rounds and came back with over 1000 psi still in the tank...I can't carry any more paint than that.)

Also, note that HPA is far more prevelant today that it was last time you played. Some of those older blowbacks like the VM-68 and WS/MT/WG series don't shoot on 850 psi HPA. (They might on UHP HPA like 1200 psi output pressure...haven't tried it.) This means you'd be stuck running on CO2 if you went that classic route.

Last edited by Robotech : 08-18-2014 at 03:49 PM.
Robotech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 05:27 PM #11
cpt_crunch

cpt_crunch has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
You're not going to find anything NEW like that old baby. Check out hustlepaintball.com or ANSgear.com to see what the new stuff is. You can find some of the classics here on the BST or on mcarterbrown. I don't know if you'll ever find an old 68 but its worth a shot if thats what you really want.

If you find some you're interested in, try the versus forum here to see what other folks think.

check out some of the new magfed spyders. heavy clunk and magazines can take first strike rounds
Lover of All Things Paintball

Buy my airsoft gear
cpt_crunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 05:46 PM #12
The Inflicted
.detcilfnI ehT

VMs aren't hard to find.
There's at least two on eBay right now and several on MCB.
The Inflicted is offline   Reply With Quote