Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 05-11-2016, 09:29 PM #1
budakhan

Tippmann 98 and Compressed Air????

I was told at a field that I should move to compressed air with my Tippmann 98. But my local shop owner said that compressed air wouldn't produce enough air to get me past 500 rounds. Is this true? What gives?

What are the pros and cons of going to compressed air with my Tippmann 98? Thanks in advance.
budakhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 05-11-2016, 09:32 PM #2
martix_agent
Not actually from ICD

Annual Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
martix_agent is playing at Living Legends IX
martix_agent supports Ninja Paintball
per volume, Co2 will provide you with more shots per tank. If you're out playing int he woods, stick with CO2

A 48 cubic inch, 3000 psi tank will get 350ish shots
a 68 cubic inch 4500psi will get significantly more than 350, but i don't have enough experience to know how many.
martix_agent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 11:13 AM #3
Pump Scout
Old gun,new gun,whatever

Annual Supporting Member
Pump Scout is a Mega Moderator
Pump Scout is a Supporting Member
Pump Scout is BST Legit
Pump Scout is playing at Living Legends IX
Pump Scout is one of the top 100 posters on PbNation
Pump Scout supports Ninja Paintball
A field I reffed ran 98's on 48ci/3000psi compressed air tanks. We could count on having to fill up their tanks once they'd shot their initial bag of 400 balls, but they'd run fine up to that point.

Where compressed air really shines over CO2 is consistency. Temperature changes through the day won't cause your velocity to shift, so hitting the chronograph throughout the day will be to verify, rather than to adjust. You should be able to set your gun to 285 fps and it should stay right around there with compressed air. With CO2, you could set to 265 in the morning, and by noon be dangerously over 300. Plus, rapid firing won't cause your tank to "ice", go liquid, and cause velocity jumps.
Pump Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 08:55 PM #4
cpt_crunch

cpt_crunch has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
CO2 works very differently from air. CO2 is pumped into your tank as a liquid. The liquid boils into CO2 vapor (steam) because liquid CO2 boils at really low temperatures. Once the CO2 reaches a certain pressure in the tank it can no longer boil and has to wait until you release some pressure. So your gun draws the gas and the liquid re-expands.
This means a CO2 tank constantly re pressurizes itself.

Air can't do that so they just fill the tanks to incredibly high pressures to give you enough air. Physics will tell you that a 4500psi air tank wont give you the same amount of shots as a CO2 tank of the same size. Especially with a Tippmann that runs at a very high pressure.

The downsides of CO2 are the inconsistency and potential gun damage. Since CO2 is always repressurizing you can never tell what pressure you have when you pull the trigger and when the temperature changes through the day so does your pressure. Also liquid CO2 can be very damaging if it ever gets into the gun.

If you play at a field with all day air supplied go with HPA, better shots and better for the gun. If you play in the woods out back with the local red necks stick to CO2 for the increased capacity.
Lover of All Things Paintball
cpt_crunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 09:18 PM #5
budakhan

Ok. Thanks for the replies guys. So I'm thinking I should go with HPA because I am playing at a park. Though I'm unsure what size tank to get. I typically shoot between 350 to 400 a game. So I might be at that spot where I can manage HPA and not have to go C02.
I understand the difference between 48 and 62 cubic inches (size of canister) but should I get a 3000 or 4500 psi tank? What's the difference really? How will it affect my game?
Are 48/3000 and 62/4500 set in stone? Can I get a 62/3000? Thanks again!
budakhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 05:04 AM #6
martix_agent
Not actually from ICD

Annual Supporting Member
350-400 a GAME with a tippman 98?!
Old 05-13-2016, 05:30 PM #7
Fubarius
Yep, it's orange.

Annual Supporting Member
Fubarius supports our troops
Fubarius is a Forum Captain
Quote:
Originally Posted by martix_agent View Post
350-400 a GAME with a tippman 98?!
Bah, that's nothing. I used to go through a hopper and two pods (500 rounds or s) per game with my old Stingray. Admitedly there was a wee bit of trigger work on that baby. Ok, I was often checked to see if I had somehow converted it to full auto.
Not too long ago I was playing at an old indoor place on a crowded open play and managed to average a hopper and two pods per game with an old PMI-2 brass pump. A lot of reinsertion games and a very target rich environment.

Nunquam emere quid potes facere
Fubarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 05:36 PM #8
martix_agent
Not actually from ICD

Annual Supporting Member
OP must either have fingers of steel, or nothing but a callous across his entire shooting finger.
Old 05-13-2016, 06:42 PM #9
Fubarius
Yep, it's orange.

Annual Supporting Member
Fubarius supports our troops
Fubarius is a Forum Captain
Compared to a lot of older guns, even other Tippmanns like the Pro-lite and Pro-Carbine, the Model98 has an incredibly light trigger. Like freakishly light compared to the true old iron. At the 05 IAO I used my 1992 era Golden Eagle for a game, shot a hopper and two or three pods, and had to soak my fingers in a cooler of ice water after the game. That's a hard trigger. The Model98? Heck, we used to spend days tinkering with triggers to get them even close to that light.

Nunquam emere quid potes facere
Fubarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 09:21 PM #10
martix_agent
Not actually from ICD

Annual Supporting Member
I just remember playing my first games with a rental gun back in the early 2000's? My finger was raw after the day was over.