PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 01-01-2015, 05:40 PM #1
Quakerz74

When is it worth upgrading your barrel?

Hey guys, I've got a question.

I know the paint is the biggest factor in accuracy, but the control you have of how much you match,overbore or underbore your paint would be beneficial, especially if you start playing tournaments and need to squeeze every single bit of performance out of your gear.

Given that I have a stock shaft3 barrel (from a Geo, 0.693 bore) when, if ever, is it a good time to upgrade to a full barrel kit (I'm talking something like a freak kit)? When you start playing tournaments / getting more serious about paintballing?
Quakerz74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 01-01-2015, 07:55 PM #2
Vevividivichi
I came i saw I conquered?

Vevividivichi owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Vevividivichi posts videos on PbNation
Vevividivichi has achieved Level 4 in PbNation Pursuit
Vevividivichi supports DLX Technology
Yes it helps with the accuracy especially when during the day the bore size can change from morning to afternoon as it heats up, or vice versa. Thats ultimately your choice when you feel you play enough to bore the paint tightly. It greatly improves accuracy if you can bore the paint especially if you are shooting really good paint that can be accurately bore sized. If youre playing rec ball or even practicing you use lower grade paint and i normally overbore because of the quality being lower and the difference between 2 paintballs in same box can be .005.
Old 01-01-2015, 07:59 PM #3
Izhar5

Izhar5 owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
to me .693 is too big of a bore, you can pick up a Deadlywind Carbon Fiber with inserts on them or GOG has a new cheap barrel which you can use inserts with, doesnt matter weather your a rec or tournament player, paint plays a darn big factor most definitely, get a smaller bore barrel if you dont like overboring, the highest id go is a .689, comes stock in most PE markers, if your barrel is too light then, to me, the marker feels way off balance wise, what marker are you using?
Planet Eclipse GSL
Bob Long Insight NG
CCM T2
Valken Proton
Izhar5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 09:32 PM #4
fenskedeathcore9
We Kill Suckers

fenskedeathcore9 owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
A freak barrel is a good investment for a player of any level. If you play just for fun, go with a freak junior. If you play tournaments get a freak kit with stainless steel inserts. They are great!
Old 01-02-2015, 11:20 AM #5
Quakerz74

Thanks for the answers. I'll probably be looking into getting one. From what I've seen on the BST section, freak kits seem to be around 80-100$. Is that a fair price?
Old 01-02-2015, 11:25 AM #6
Izhar5

Izhar5 owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
i picked up a full kit for about that price
Planet Eclipse GSL
Bob Long Insight NG
CCM T2
Valken Proton
Izhar5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 06:58 PM #7
Trbo323

whenever you want, I just play rec but got a full freak kit

if you want a really nice barrel check out the DW fibur to pair with the freak kit. It uses the freak inserts in a CF barrel, dont get a 16" if you want it to fit in the freak case though. Last I checked it was still the lightest full length barrel made

^^^^if you are new and looking for gear, click here ^^^^
Trbo323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 07:35 PM #8
Fubarius
Yep, it's orange.

Annual Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
Fubarius supports our troops
Fubarius has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Fubarius has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Fubarius is a Forum Captain
A good barrel is an investment. Especially something modular like a Freak. I bought mine 13 years ago with a Spyder threaded back for use on my Walmart special BE Avenger. I've been using the same set of inserts ever since, I just buy a new back, and maybe a new front, when I get a new gun to use. I currently have backs in Spyder, ICD, Autococker, and Angel threads, with tips in black, red, green, and silver. Shortest tip makes a 10" barrel, longest I use makes a 14", and I even have a "rain tip" with no porting.

Though these days you can have a gun in every major category (pump, inexpensive blowback, high end mech, mil-sim, tourney gun, etc) and have them all be autococker threaded, so you could invest in more backs for your shaft3 and still be covered in just about any situation.

Nunquam emere potes facere
Fubarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 07:39 PM #9
Quakerz74

Thanks for all the input. I did end up getting a freak kit since shaft3 backs are sort of hard to find.
Old 01-25-2015, 01:46 PM #10
kuyajc2005
Kuya JC

kuyajc2005 is playing at Living Legends VII
kuyajc2005 owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
kuyajc2005 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Unless it's some kind of freak/deadly wind kit or smaller bore shaft 4 backs. It's not worth it.
kuyajc2005 is offline   Reply With Quote