Community Focus

Old 08-10-2014, 12:25 AM #1
only4theweak187

Tinted Lenses?

How does visibility differ from stock clear lenses for these shades?:

1. Smoke -
2. Amber -
3. Multicolored -

Never felt the need to spend the extra $ for different lenses besides an aesthetic change. Do they help in certain weather conditions?(I assume Amber is for sunny days?)
Advertisement
Old 08-10-2014, 12:46 AM #2
cpt_crunch

cpt_crunch has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Compare them to sunglasses lenses colors.

http://theopticalvisionsite.com/wp-c...-X-Colors1.jpg
Lover of All Things Paintball

Buy my airsoft gear
cpt_crunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 06:12 AM #3
dreadmuppet
Reeks of class

Annual Supporting Member
Very good link. If you are trying to just use one lens I suggest smoke. Great all around lens for most situations.

Ion: takes a half hour to do easy maintenance and there is a 50% chance it will leak once reassembled.

NT: requires at least a four year degree in metallurgy, physics, meteorology and dark magic to get it to operate.

eBay FEEDBACK
dreadmuppet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 09:46 AM #4
prone2wander

I tried yellow for overcast days but in the end went back to clear. I think they helped with contrast but the yellow tint just didn't feel real to me. I do keep a visor on my mask at all times. The field I play at tends to be wooded so going in and out of shadows I think makes it hard to choose which direction to go. Think about the conditions you play in and choose accordingly. Keep in mind some people choose for looks and function is secondary.
prone2wander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 05:58 PM #5
eforce
Factory PB

Annual Supporting Member
eforce is a Moderator
eforce plays in the PSP
eforce is an NCPA player
Quote:
Originally Posted by only4theweak187 View Post
How does visibility differ from stock clear lenses for these shades?:

1. Smoke -
2. Amber -
3. Multicolored -

Never felt the need to spend the extra $ for different lenses besides an aesthetic change. Do they help in certain weather conditions?(I assume Amber is for sunny days?)
Amber and clear are meant for cloudy/indoor (low light) conditions. Smoke, colored, and mirrored lenses are most beneficial in bright environments like outdoor fields on a sunny day. Keeping one clear lens and one mirrored/tinted lens will cover every situation you'd need. I generally don't recommend amber lenses because clear does the same job and it doesn't give other players a bullseye or blind you in the sun.
Old 08-10-2014, 08:30 PM #6
prone2wander

Quote:
Originally Posted by eforce View Post
Keeping one clear lens and one mirrored/tinted lens will cover every situation you'd need. I generally don't recommend amber lenses because clear does the same job and it doesn't give other players a bullseye or blind you in the sun.
I would think a mirrored lens would make you stick out in any lighting situation, even more so than amber. What am I missing?
Old 08-10-2014, 09:03 PM #7
eforce
Factory PB

Annual Supporting Member
eforce is a Moderator
eforce plays in the PSP
eforce is an NCPA player
Quote:
Originally Posted by prone2wander View Post
I would think a mirrored lens would make you stick out in any lighting situation, even more so than amber. What am I missing?
Mirrored lenses reflect the colors around you (bunkers, ground, etc). Yellow lenses are bright yellow no matter what's going on.
Old 08-11-2014, 06:37 AM #8
Ballantin

Annual Supporting Member
Ballantin owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
Ballantin has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Ballantin has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Ballantin owns a Planet Eclipse GSL
I found mirrored lenses to become a bit annoying when it starts to rain. Even light rain means a great reduction in visibility for me. I always carry spare clear lenses just in case I need them.
Ballantin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 02:57 PM #9
sirdouglasb12

sirdouglasb12 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
sirdouglasb12 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
sirdouglasb12 has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
I went from clear to amber/yellow and love it. Things seem to pop out quite a bit more, visually. The only downside is that I can't see the blue light on my rotor to tell if it is on or off.
Old 08-13-2014, 04:35 AM #10
azngaming4life

azngaming4life is playing at Living Legends VII
azngaming4life owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
azngaming4life has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
azngaming4life has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
I would say that a clear lens is the best all around option. But Mirrored lenses do make a great substitute and make the light a little darker. smoke lenses will make your view darker, so it is better if its really sunny where you live, but on a cloudy day, an Amber Lens will tint your view to make the light a little brighter. most other mask lenses are mainly for aesthetics.
azngaming4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 10:21 AM #11
BaineTrain

go w/ clear
BaineTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 11:18 AM #12
Team_ILLNatured
Running Hatchet Man

Annual Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
Team_ILLNatured owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Team_ILLNatured supports Team VICIOUS
Team_ILLNatured plays in the APPA D5 division
Team_ILLNatured is Legendary
Quote:
Originally Posted by eforce View Post
mirrored lenses are most beneficial in bright environments like outdoor fields on a sunny day. Keeping one clear lens and one mirrored/tinted lens will cover every situation you'd need.
Mirrored lenses also greatly increase your Swag factor.

Also, eForce has the info FTW. I've done exactly this for about the last 15 years. Clear for indoors, Mirrored for everything else.
Depew Decepticonz #1 2013 USPA Batavia Novice Div Sectional Champions
Belfast Bombers #01 2012 2nd Place USPA Novice Div
Depew ILLNatured #0 2011 3rd place USPA , Great Lakes Division
My ShEGO project!
"Originally posted by Spitlebug: You are right, my penis simply will not accept anything smaller than 68 caliber. :D"
Team_ILLNatured is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 12:29 PM #13
MstrKey

MstrKey is a founding member
MstrKey is for the Gunfight
MstrKey supports our troops
Honestly, clear lenses are the best all around option you can have. Anything that restricts light entering your eye, is going to give you decreased vision in low light conditions. Especially if you play bushball in thicker forest, or if you have a lot of overcast days in your area. Sometimes the amber lenses can be decent in certain conditions.

The way I see it (pun intended), is if you use anything other than clear, you'll want a backup set with a clear lens. If you only want to run one set of head gear.....stick to clear. Swag is all well and good but I'd rather see that guy in black, poking out with black netting behind him, than look good.

Black/Purple Spire F/s. Freshly updated from Virtue.
MstrKey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 02:31 PM #14
Razor3904

I have a clear lens on my i4 and I like them a lot
Razor3904 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 02:40 PM #15
dlersch

I've used smoke since I started playing and would never use anything else. Sure, visibility isn't the greatest if it's cloudy and you're playing in heavy tree cover, but if you're in the sun, they're the best.

No different than wearing sunglasses. Who wants to run around with the sun in their eyes all day?
dlersch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 07:58 PM #16
bunkering baller
squad!

bunkering baller supports Team VICIOUS
I have a set of smoke lenses for my Grillz and they're great for sunny days and playing outdoors; but on Sunday when it was overcast and raining, I switched over to my clear thermal lenses. I would get a set of clear thermal lenses before colored because the thermal really don't fog up and you can use them in any situation; but that's just my two cents.
Old Yesterday, 08:16 PM #17
prone2wander

Lots of good information here and you have to find what works for you. I wanted to add one bit of information about VForce thermal lenses, they are not waterproof and if you clean them with running water it will get water between the lenses and will take some time to dry out. If you wear them in the rain you are totally screwed because they will fog between the lenses. I picked up a pair of thermal lenses based on everyone saying, only get a mask with a thermal lens. After learning from a wet day of playing with my Profiler I went back to single lens with VForce and just like before, never had a problem with fogging. So your mileage may vary depending on your mask.
Old Yesterday, 08:31 PM #18
Team_ILLNatured
Running Hatchet Man

Annual Supporting Member
Team_ILLNatured supports Team VICIOUS
Team_ILLNatured plays in the APPA D5 division
Team_ILLNatured is Legendary
Quote:
Originally Posted by prone2wander View Post
Lots of good information here and you have to find what works for you. I wanted to add one bit of information about VForce thermal lenses, they are not waterproof and if you clean them with running water it will get water between the lenses and will take some time to dry out. If you wear them in the rain you are totally screwed because they will fog between the lenses. I picked up a pair of thermal lenses based on everyone saying, only get a mask with a thermal lens. After learning from a wet day of playing with my Profiler I went back to single lens with VForce and just like before, never had a problem with fogging. So your mileage may vary depending on your mask.
not all Vforce masks have an exposed lens-edge like the profiler, Ex: VForce Grills. only time I ever got water between my Grills lens was when I accidently submerged it
Depew Decepticonz #1 2013 USPA Batavia Novice Div Sectional Champions
Belfast Bombers #01 2012 2nd Place USPA Novice Div
Depew ILLNatured #0 2011 3rd place USPA , Great Lakes Division
My ShEGO project!
"Originally posted by Spitlebug: You are right, my penis simply will not accept anything smaller than 68 caliber. :D"
Team_ILLNatured is offline   Reply With Quote