Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 08-05-2009, 12:39 AM #22
Mastermind26
We are moons

Mastermind26 is a Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laureate View Post
Or how about when a Christian is losing faith and a series of events leads them to be an atheist?

Doesn't make much sense now does it
But it does support my point that signs are not meant to lead you to "jump start" faith (or lose it).

TY!

CK member #04 (???)
Mastermind26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 08-05-2009, 08:24 AM #23
Laureate
strength beyond strength

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mastermind26 View Post
But it does support my point that signs are not meant to lead you to "jump start" faith (or lose it).

TY!
Good, that will throw his point away - which was my intention.
Old 08-05-2009, 10:49 AM #24
warbeak2099
That is my foot!

has been a member for 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike m View Post
Suppose a man and woman are seeking God's guidance on their relationship;they ask very specific questions and are led to read a very specific verse in the bible...upon going to church that sunday morning the pastor begins his sermon with..I don't know why; but God laid this verse on my heart and the verse has nothing to do with what I am preaching on but I am lead to share it...it is the same verse given to the couple .....
Who do they ask the question to? Who leads them to this verse and how? Did the pastor really get the inspiration from God to read that verse or was there another reason? And was the verse actually helpful to the couple the first time they read it? If so, why would they have to hear it again in church?
#12 Italian Baller
“The real test of a man is not how well he plays the role he has invented for himself, but how well he plays the role that destiny assigned to him.”
-Václav Havel
warbeak2099 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 11:04 AM #25
ἔρως-φιλία-ἀγάπη

ἔρως-φιλία-ἀγάπη helped look for balloons
I don't see why it can't be both. God from reason, consequence, and rationality (along with a little science).
Old 08-05-2009, 12:49 PM #26
Gold Leader (Banned)

Quote:
I never have seen "signs" (no, not the movie, haha!).

And again, seeking signs is not what God uses as an operative.
Sign and wonders were never meant to be a vehicle to achieve salvation (if that is what you deem need to jump start faith).

As far as it being "too much to ask", IDK, but that'd be YOU setting the rules by which God must operate for you to believe. An all powerful God would be above OUR criteria, no?
He knows my miniscule criteria, I'm saying that it shouldn't be too difficult or even time consuming to send me what I need to believe is all I was saying. I didn;t really want to use "signs" I knew you would give me the response you did ha. I'll glady take "anything"
Gold Leader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 12:51 PM #27
Laureate
strength beyond strength

Quote:
I never have seen "signs" (no, not the movie, haha!).

And again, seeking signs is not what God uses as an operative.
Sign and wonders were never meant to be a vehicle to achieve salvation (if that is what you deem need to jump start faith).

As far as it being "too much to ask", IDK, but that'd be YOU setting the rules by which God must operate for you to believe. An all powerful God would be above OUR criteria, no?
Are you saying that God has never given you a sign letting you know that you are on the right track?
Old 08-05-2009, 12:55 PM #28
ThePr0pheT (Banned)
Trust me, I'm a Lawyer!

/Free Will

bai
ThePr0pheT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 01:04 PM #29
Spock
Live Long and Bluster

Spock is a founding member
Quote:
Are you saying that God has never given you a sign letting you know that you are on the right track?
God hasn't, but my GPS has.

Now, the funny thing is, if you look at a keyboard, the O is right next to the P, and the D is right next to the S.

G - G
P > O
S > D

Now, that really kinda makes me wonder who's REALLY keeping me on the right track.
Spock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 01:06 PM #30
Gold Leader (Banned)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spock View Post

Now, the funny thing is, if you look at a keyboard, the O is right next to the P, and the D is right next to the S.

G - G
P > O
S > D

Now, that really kinda makes me wonder who's REALLY keeping me on the right track.
I use a roadmap, it has 4 more letters thus making it superior to the lesser word god.
Gold Leader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 01:53 PM #31
Mastermind26
We are moons

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gold Leader View Post
He knows my miniscule criteria, I'm saying that it shouldn't be too difficult or even time consuming to send me what I need to believe is all I was saying. I didn;t really want to use "signs" I knew you would give me the response you did ha. I'll glady take "anything"
I never it would be difficult for God or even time consuming at all.

I'm saying that you don't ask for signs to jump start one's faith nor do you set the rules by which you will believe ("if/then" statements set on God).

Quote:
I'm saying God has not given signs outside of what is already been provided via Bible. And I have not gone around asking for signs to guide me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spock View Post

G - G
P > O
S > D

LOL cuz "GOD" is God's name.

CK member #04 (???)
Old 08-05-2009, 07:38 PM #32
ἔρως-φιλία-ἀγάπη

ἔρως-φιλία-ἀγάπη helped look for balloons
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gold Leader View Post
I use a roadmap, it has 4 more letters thus making it superior to the lesser word god.
Nice job making that word fit your criteria. Who do you think would go around saying "I have a roadmap."

No, they'd just call it a map. Also, if you called God "Jehovah" it has the same amount of letters as roadmap.

But... it's all completely pointless. Letters have nothing to do with someone being better. I was just playing along.
Old 08-05-2009, 09:22 PM #33
mike m

mike m plays in the PSP
mike m plays in the APPA D5 division
Quote:
Originally Posted by warbeak2099 View Post
Who do they ask the question to? Who leads them to this verse and how? Did the pastor really get the inspiration from God to read that verse or was there another reason? And was the verse actually helpful to the couple the first time they read it? If so, why would they have to hear it again in church?
They were asking God together in prayer;as stated they felt God led them to the verse.I can not answer for the pastor;can only go by what he said.The verse was very helpful to the couple the first time they read it.No need to hear it again but it was extra padding so to say.
I understood when stating what I said that many would take it and run and or attribute it to many of any number of things.I was just sharing personal experience;and I don't make it a habit of asking for signs or so.This was a very important decision for two very young christians at the time>
mike m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 11:02 PM #34
fbowrestler

fbowrestler owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
fbowrestler supports Team VICIOUS
i am pretty sure somebody was looking out for me last night because i was driving around town and i stop at a stop light as it turned green a random thought came into my head that i should of wait untill i go so i did and i am happy before my eyes was a SUV jeep type car going at least 50-70 mph through a red light i was in shocked at this point it was weird obviously it wasn't my time and i am very thankful and this is a ture story to no shens

Last edited by fbowrestler : 08-05-2009 at 11:03 PM. Reason: misspell
fbowrestler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 01:24 AM #35
warbeak2099
That is my foot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbowrestler View Post
i am pretty sure somebody was looking out for me last night because i was driving around town and i stop at a stop light as it turned green a random thought came into my head that i should of wait untill i go so i did and i am happy before my eyes was a SUV jeep type car going at least 50-70 mph through a red light i was in shocked at this point it was weird obviously it wasn't my time and i am very thankful and this is a ture story to no shens
It couldn't have possibly been common sense that you should wait a second before going or the fact that this idea is hammered into our heads by driving instructors, parents, and etc when we are learning to drive. No, it had to be a specific divine being looking out for you. Let me ask you, can you decipher from that situation which divinity it was? That's my problem with a god supposedly revealing itself through these "incidents". That god isn't giving you enough information to understand which god protected you from a traffic accident. He's not identifying himself.

As for the young couple, what if they were Muslim or Jewish and a similar incident happened? Would you start to wonder whether perhaps Christianity was incorrect? Because these coincidences do happen with people of other faiths you know. Just last year Hindus prayed to one of their gods at an airport and a damaged plane (the subject of the prayer) was miraculously fixed recently after. If it works for people of all religions, it isn't proof or evidence of the veracity of any one religion's claim to the monopoly on truth.
#12 Italian Baller
“The real test of a man is not how well he plays the role he has invented for himself, but how well he plays the role that destiny assigned to him.”
-Václav Havel
warbeak2099 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 01:28 AM #36
St.Geezy

St.Geezy owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
St.Geezy is for the Gunfight
I'm just wondering why there had to be parents to chaperon if he is old enough to purpose.

ST:Tech
St.Geezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 02:53 AM #37
xtoughguyx

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkh31 View Post
and we ended up not going b/c he said he saw lots of signs from God that told him he shouldnt go to the party b/c he thought God was tellin him he'd cheat on his gf (that he's gonna propose to soon) if he went. One of the signs he noticed was that it seemed like every channel he switched to on tv mentioned something about adultery/cheating.
your friend is a ****ing oddball!

that is all.
Old 08-06-2009, 08:48 AM #38
Laureate
strength beyond strength

Quote:
I'm saying God has not given signs outside of what is already been provided via Bible. And I have not gone around asking for signs to guide me.
So the only justification for your faith is the Bible?
Old 08-06-2009, 08:49 AM #39
Laureate
strength beyond strength

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtoughguyx View Post
your friend is a ****ing oddball!

that is all.
lul
Old 08-06-2009, 01:05 PM #40
Mastermind26
We are moons

Quote:
So the only justification for your faith is the Bible?
Jack be nimble, Jack be quick........

Justification? I said I never asked for a sign to know I was headed in the right direction. Why would you conclude to "justifications"?

CK member #04 (???)
Old 08-06-2009, 02:05 PM #41
Laureate
strength beyond strength

Quote:
Jack be nimble, Jack be quick........

Justification? I said I never asked for a sign to know I was headed in the right direction. Why would you conclude to "justifications"?
Why did you choose to be Christian and not Muslim?
Old 08-06-2009, 02:33 PM #42
Mastermind26
We are moons

Quote:
Why did you choose to be Christian and not Muslim?

Not to dance around your question but, isn't this the "what do you view as a sign from God" thread and not the "why do you believe?" thread?

Now, to answer: I found the Bible's claim to be more credible. Other religions (not just Islam) have works to achieve a form of salvation, christianity does not.
The fulfilled prophecies are a big factor (yes, taking it from the same book I am supporting), the resurrection (proof of that is the empty tomb today) and finally the witness accounts lend to make the claims more credible (TO ME) and ultimately I place my faith that is THE truth and the God of the Bible to be THE God overall.

CK member #04 (???)