PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 08-04-2009, 12:40 AM #1
gkh31

gkh31 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
What do you view to be a sign from God?

So this is just a general question for anyone that believes in a god of any kind: what do you consider to be signs from your god?

The reason I'm asking this question is b/c my friend and I were gonna go to a party (it was parent chaperoned, so no smoking or drinking), and we ended up not going b/c he said he saw lots of signs from God that told him he shouldnt go to the party b/c he thought God was tellin him he'd cheat on his gf (that he's gonna propose to soon) if he went. One of the signs he noticed was that it seemed like every channel he switched to on tv mentioned something about adultery/cheating.

Anyways, I thought this was a bit of a stretch and was just wondering what you guys consider to be divine signs from above.

Is accidentally forgetting your gym card twice while heading to the gym and having to backtrack home to get it a sign from God that you shouldn't go to the gym tonight? Or are you just extremely forgetful on that night?

Is an extremely vivd dream that you can interpret meaning from a sign or did you just eat too much before you went to sleep last night and had a strange dream due to this?

Or do signs and advice only come from deep urges in your soul and from conversation with your god?

Do you guys get what I'm saying? What do you consider consequence and what do you consider to be a divine revelation?

I'm struggling with this concept right now and am having trouble discerning whether God is trying to tell me or something or whether I just have some really bad luck in certain areas of my life right now. I was hoping maybe you guys could offer some personal insight on the matter to help me figure this out.

Thx for posting,
Greg
gkh31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 08-04-2009, 01:22 AM #2
TPB_Bubbles
Veritas Vos Liberabit

It was a ****in miracle, and I want you to acknowledge it.

"Upstream, small redirectons of flow, downstream everything shifts."
TPB_Bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 01:25 AM #3
aieou
Presence of Mind

aieou is a Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
To answer your question, Karma.
Old 08-04-2009, 01:56 AM #4
apple face
theres a worm in my brain

I consider a sign from god to be any posted signage that has the name "jesus" written on the bottom right hand corner in hebrew.
Old 08-04-2009, 02:08 AM #5
gkh31

gkh31 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Ok thx for the comic relief guys, but please, let's try to keep this thread serious
gkh31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 03:13 AM #6
Crede777
Resident Agnostic

Crede777 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
I personally do not consider much to be divinely inspired as I will not assume it is such until every other explanation could be ruled out.

I have had my share of freaky coincidences, but like I said, I won't claim anything unless I can be sure.
Derr: Whether or not you believe the universe is here for a reason is patently irrelevant to whether or not the universe cares.
XBL = On3ManRi0t

Breakout Photos
Crede777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 09:07 AM #7
pyromaniacs1
RIP 1016

pyromaniacs1 is reppin' sidebar 4 life
I ask myself this a lot. Sometimes, I see something and I'm wonder to myself if it's something that should be considered a sign, or if I'm just dumb.

Of course, if you are a strong believer in God, shouldn't you believe that pretty much everything is a sign of some sort?

I think it is pretty much interpretation. It depends on the situation you're in and the subconscious doubts you have about the situation to begin with. If your friend hadn't been invited to the party, he probably wouldn't have even noticed that some channels mentioned adultery (probably not as many as he even interpreted it to be). It is human natures to try to see patterns and associate certain relatively uncommon events.
Old 08-04-2009, 09:08 AM #8
cuttlefish32

It's only a sign from God if you believe it to be.
Old 08-04-2009, 09:13 AM #9
hsilman
Disgustipated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crede777 View Post
I personally do not consider much to be divinely inspired as I will not assume it is such until every other explanation could be ruled out.

I have had my share of freaky coincidences, but like I said, I won't claim anything unless I can be sure.
I pretty much agree with this, but not to the extreme. I leave myself open only to probabilities instead of certainties. That is, even if I figure out a natural explanation for something, I won't necessarily value it as true over a supernatural one or think that they can't coexist.
hsilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 10:08 AM #10
warbeak2099
That is my foot!

Your friend should become a lawyer.
#12 Italian Baller
“The real test of a man is not how well he plays the role he has invented for himself, but how well he plays the role that destiny assigned to him.”
-Václav Havel
warbeak2099 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 10:42 AM #11
StellarKnight
Mind Erasure

StellarKnight is a Supporting Member
StellarKnight is a founding member
StellarKnight has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by hsilman View Post
I pretty much agree with this, but not to the extreme. I leave myself open only to probabilities instead of certainties. That is, even if I figure out a natural explanation for something, I won't necessarily value it as true over a supernatural one or think that they can't coexist.
I agree with you agreeing with him. Mutual exclusivity is a big problem with Christian dogma.
Evil presupposes a moral decision, intention, and some forethought. A moron doesn't stop to think or reason. He acts on instinct, like a stable animal, convinced he's doing good, that he's always right, and sanctimoniously proud to go around ****ing up . . .What the world needs is more thoroughly evil people and fewer idiot ****heads.
StellarKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 10:56 AM #12
Mastermind26
We are moons

Mastermind26 is a Supporting Member
I think a better question would be to ask why we need "signs" from God. AFAIK, the Holy Spirit is to be the "guide" by which we operate. That in turn operates within the confines of how much you tune in to God's Word (to know what is sinful or not).

I have heard some Christians say that because they caught a cold in the middle of summer that God must punishing them for something or because their business is not boomin' that God must be mad because they didn't tithe on the right day or even that because their business IS boomin' that they are in good standing with God. Are these signs or curses/blessings? I don't think so.

People, IMHO, who see signs everywhere are to be reminded that the only sign Christ said was available was that of Jonah
(Matt. 12:38-39
38 Then some of the Pharisees and teachers of the law said to him, "Teacher, we want to see a miraculous sign from you."
39 He answered, "A wicked and adulterous generation asks for a miraculous sign! But none will be given it except the sign of the prophet Jonah.)

CK member #04 (???)
Mastermind26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 10:59 AM #13
Gold Leader (Banned)

I would want it large, neon lighted, and very extravagant. Much akin to Vegas but on an even larger scale.
Gold Leader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 11:17 AM #14
Spock
Live Long and Bluster

Spock is a founding member
Quote:
Originally Posted by gkh31 View Post
So this is just a general question for anyone that believes in a god of any kind: what do you consider to be signs from your god?

The reason I'm asking this question is b/c my friend and I were gonna go to a party (it was parent chaperoned, so no smoking or drinking), and we ended up not going b/c he said he saw lots of signs from God that told him he shouldnt go to the party b/c he thought God was tellin him he'd cheat on his gf (that he's gonna propose to soon) if he went. One of the signs he noticed was that it seemed like every channel he switched to on tv mentioned something about adultery/cheating.

Anyways, I thought this was a bit of a stretch and was just wondering what you guys consider to be divine signs from above.

Is accidentally forgetting your gym card twice while heading to the gym and having to backtrack home to get it a sign from God that you shouldn't go to the gym tonight? Or are you just extremely forgetful on that night?

Is an extremely vivd dream that you can interpret meaning from a sign or did you just eat too much before you went to sleep last night and had a strange dream due to this?

Or do signs and advice only come from deep urges in your soul and from conversation with your god?

Do you guys get what I'm saying? What do you consider consequence and what do you consider to be a divine revelation?

I'm struggling with this concept right now and am having trouble discerning whether God is trying to tell me or something or whether I just have some really bad luck in certain areas of my life right now. I was hoping maybe you guys could offer some personal insight on the matter to help me figure this out.

Thx for posting,
Greg

God is supposedly all-powerful. If he wanted to tell you something, he wouldn't do it getting TBS to run a Desperate Housewives marathon.

Look around you. God lets plenty of innocent people get on airplanes that are about to crash or walk into buildings that are about to be hit by smart bombs. If you forget your gym card twice, perhaps you're forgetting it because you subconsciously don't want to work out. It doesn't mean it's a sign from God or that you shouldn't go.

Now, if a super-hot, naked woman suddenly appears in my living room while my wife is out grocery shopping, and then her head instantaneously turns into that of Morgan Freeman and says "I am a messenger from God. Be faithful to your wife or else", then I might start to wonder.

Last edited by Spock : 08-04-2009 at 11:21 AM.
Spock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 11:39 AM #15
Mastermind26
We are moons

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spock View Post
God is supposedly all-powerful. If he wanted to tell you something, he wouldn't do it getting TBS to run a Desperate Housewives marathon.

Look around you. God lets plenty of innocent people get on airplanes that are about to crash or walk into buildings that are about to be hit by smart bombs. If you forget your gym card twice, perhaps you're forgetting it because you subconsciously don't want to work out. It doesn't mean it's a sign from God or that you shouldn't go.

Now, if a super-hot, naked woman suddenly appears in my living room while my wife is out grocery shopping, and then her head instantaneously turns into that of Morgan Freeman and says "I am a messenger from God. Be faithful to your wife or else", then I might start to wonder.
All sarcasm aside, if God is all powerful why can't He be subtle in His approach? Isn't that limiting Him to ONLY being direct?

And the example of the woman with Morgan Freeman's head (ugh,there's an image I wish to mind-erase), it is still you deciding what a sign constitutes. To you it has to be a very direct, very "obvious" sign, to others maybe not. The question still stands though, why do you NEED a sign to KNOW to remain faithful?

CK member #04 (???)
Old 08-04-2009, 10:42 PM #16
Gold Leader (Banned)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mastermind26 View Post
All sarcasm aside, if God is all powerful why can't He be subtle in His approach? Isn't that limiting Him to ONLY being direct?

And the example of the woman with Morgan Freeman's head (ugh,there's an image I wish to mind-erase), it is still you deciding what a sign constitutes. To you it has to be a very direct, very "obvious" sign, to others maybe not. The question still stands though, why do you NEED a sign to KNOW to remain faithful?
For me, I would love an obvious sign. If god is all knowing and powerful he should know what I need to jumpstart my faith so to speak. If he offers you the courtesy of a sign of sorts which leads you to faith, then why not extend it to me? Why can't he cater to indivuals in a way which leads them to believe. Instead we are left to take others words for it?It's not asking much I don't think.
Gold Leader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 11:01 PM #17
Laureate
strength beyond strength

I think if you let every little thing like forgetting your car keys to be considered a sign, then your life is going to be miserable. I think you people forget that, statistically, coincidences, or things out of the norm occur naturally. It is like saying, I flipped a coin three times and each time I got heads. It must be a sign from God that I am lucky and need to go bet.

People seem to do this all the time. Coincidences, people think, are incredibly rare. "What are the chances of seeing Janet here?!" Right, the chances of seeing Janet are very slim, but the chance of a COINCIDENCE is high. It is like picking a number out of 10000000. A number WILL be picked but each number's probability of being picked is small.

Anyway, things such as streaks, like seeing "cheating on every channel" is a statistical law called, "The Law of Small Numbers." It basically says that streaks will happen. Given that information, I would be incredibly hesitant to blame these streaks on God. These streaks are SUPPOSE to happen.

....I know a lot about statistics. MATH CLUB *****
Old 08-04-2009, 11:34 PM #18
JRunior

A little twist of the old 'Burrito paradox"

Is God so powerful that even he can saves the souls of those that have broken his rules?

I'd like to think so. If God is as all knowing and all powerful as all religions claim him to be then I would assume he'd know that his creation would turn into an advanced society that required more evidence than was first needed. So I think a God as defined by humans would be capable of a) Recognizing this b) Reconciling this and lastly Powerful enough to break even his own rules

Jr,
JRunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 11:43 PM #19
mike m

mike m plays in the PSP
mike m plays in the APPA D5 division
Suppose a man and woman are seeking God's guidance on their relationship;they ask very specific questions and are led to read a very specific verse in the bible...upon going to church that sunday morning the pastor begins his sermon with..I don't know why; but God laid this verse on my heart and the verse has nothing to do with what I am preaching on but I am lead to share it...it is the same verse given to the couple .....
mike m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 12:33 AM #20
Mastermind26
We are moons

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gold Leader View Post
For me, I would love an obvious sign. If god is all knowing and powerful he should know what I need to jumpstart my faith so to speak. If he offers you the courtesy of a sign of sorts which leads you to faith, then why not extend it to me? Why can't he cater to indivuals in a way which leads them to believe. Instead we are left to take others words for it?It's not asking much I don't think.
I never have seen "signs" (no, not the movie, haha!).

And again, seeking signs is not what God uses as an operative.
Sign and wonders were never meant to be a vehicle to achieve salvation (if that is what you deem need to jump start faith).

As far as it being "too much to ask", IDK, but that'd be YOU setting the rules by which God must operate for you to believe. An all powerful God would be above OUR criteria, no?

CK member #04 (???)
Old 08-05-2009, 12:37 AM #21
Laureate
strength beyond strength

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike m View Post
Suppose a man and woman are seeking God's guidance on their relationship;they ask very specific questions and are led to read a very specific verse in the bible...upon going to church that sunday morning the pastor begins his sermon with..I don't know why; but God laid this verse on my heart and the verse has nothing to do with what I am preaching on but I am lead to share it...it is the same verse given to the couple .....
Or how about when a Christian is losing faith and a series of events leads them to be an atheist?

Doesn't make much sense now does it