PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 07-20-2009, 09:42 AM #1
dblk22vball

Annual Supporting Member
dblk22vball supports our troops
super low operating pressure

I picked up a nice gen-e matrix, with stock and evolve bolt kits. It has the tadao board, with all stock settings.

So I put in the evolve kit, and I was operating around 150-160 PSI for 285 fps. I have a gauge adapter with a nice 2.5" 0-180 liquid filled gauge, so it is very accurate and easy to read.

I had my LPR set low, basically it was cycling fine under high rates of fire, but if I raised the LPR some, I was getting more fps, which according to the manual means the LPr should have been a little higher.

Since I play mostly woodsball, I wanted to be even more quiet. So I figured that since the evolve bolt kit has the top hat mod built in, if I put in the stock top hat, I could drop my pressure even more.

So I installed the stock top hat, chronoed it, and at 135 PSI, I was at 285 fps (I left the lpr the same).

So I figure that if I raise the lpr a little more, I should be able to operate in the 120 PSI range.

This seems ridiculously low pressure, even for a matrix. Totally awesome from a noise aspect, but still.

Not sure on efficiency yet, wont be able to play until Aug 1. I have (2) 88/4500's, so air is not that big of a concern.

Just thought I would let everyone know. still the best matrix imo.
Advertisement
Old 07-20-2009, 01:21 PM #2
ghost271
Shooting MacDev

ghost271 is a founding member
 has been a member for 10 years
ghost271 posts videos on PbNation
I dont have a gauge to tell how low the pressure is but in my one NYX trix Im running the Ardvarrk Slam kit which is ridiculously quiet, and in my second trix Im running Gold Evolve Kit with an Orange Bolt and Kapp Delrin Beer Can. No kick and its very hard to hear. As a matter of fact, I snuck up beside a player about 7-8 feet away. I was in tall grass and shot him once in the back. It bounced but he didn't know where it came from. Second shot I put into his pack and it broke. The guy still had no idea where I was at. I could have spit on him I was so close. Still one of my favorite guns as well.
-Ronin Cyborg RX #4,Olive 07 Borg,2xBlk 07 Borg,Digi-Cam Droid
-Max'd 'DM3'
-Mint Tippmann .68 Special, 2xLB Nightmare,Nelspot 007
ghost271 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 06:40 PM #3
Powkoa

dblk22--what's your FP set at?? It must be pretty high to get 285 @ 135.

It will be interesting to hear what your efficiency is with that setup.

Powkoa's old feedback
Powkoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 08:05 PM #4
dblk22vball

Annual Supporting Member
i am using all the stock settings on my tadao board, so it is 14 or 16 ms I think.

I will make a video of it when I get done playing with the lpr.
Old 07-23-2009, 09:55 PM #5
dblk22vball

Annual Supporting Member
anyone know what small top hat o-ring is supposed to go with the gold evolve, is it a number 12 or 13.

I think it is a number 12, since I have been getting some leaking at the higher lpr with a 13 in there, and I blow the o-ring if I put a 12 in the stock top hat.

i might have to use the stock bolt with the evolve back cap and bolt stop, but that is a waste, since you can mod those stock parts your self.....

EDIT: I read that the gold evolve and the stock bolt use the same o-rings. so I will have to put in another 13 o-ring and see if I leak still.

Last edited by dblk22vball : 07-24-2009 at 07:31 AM.
dblk22vball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 08:17 PM #6
dblk22vball

Annual Supporting Member
i tested it tonight, and I replaced the bolt sail and small top hat o-rings. I was getting a VERY faint leak when I uppd the LPR from the gripframe area, so from what I read it is the bolt sail. When I replaced the o-ring, I noticed that the #15 o-ring that I had was a little larger than the one that I pulled off. Turned out the one that was on there was a #14.

So with a low LPR and a smaller o-ring, it worked fine and the #14 held, but as soon as I increased the LPr, it failed.

So that must be how I was getting the super low pressure, a o-ring that was a hair smaller than spec'd so it had less friction.

if I keep the lpr low, then I should be ok with the smaller o-ring.

With the new, correct, #15, my HPR had to be increased to get 285 fps (about 150 PSI ish)
Old 07-25-2009, 12:20 AM #7
Powkoa

with more friction on/off the bolt sail, the LPR setting would be effected. the hpr should stay the same for the same FP and wanting the same FPS. if you are turning you HPR for any other reason, then you should probably be making sure your lpr is set correctly.

I still am very curious what your FP is and what your efficiency is though.

Powkoa's old feedback
Old 07-25-2009, 07:59 AM #8
dblk22vball

Annual Supporting Member
i will be able to let you know in a week, going paintballing on aug 1
Old 07-26-2009, 02:53 PM #9
dblk22vball

Annual Supporting Member
powkoa - my front pulse (dwell) is set at 14.

Right now I am running right around 140 psi, at ~280 fps.

When I get my good paint this weekend, I will update you with the final pressure I am running at, fps i am at and what my efficiency is (i was chronoing with some crappy WPN weapons grade paint.)
Old 07-26-2009, 03:32 PM #10
Powkoa

Thanks for the update.
Wow that seems like a low input pressure. I really thought that you were going to have a FP of 16 or more with that input. I wish i had an old tophat around to see if I could get mine running that low. We had some super fragile 'weapons grade' paint a couple weeks ago that kept turning to mush in everyones markers. 140 might have been able to shoot it.
If I remember correctly, mine used to run around 180psi for around 290fps at 14. I have an evolve and a leethal tophat/spacer/bolt-stop running in them now at over 200 for 290fps----that's with the loosest fitting bolt sail that I can get. I usually go through a bunch of them to get it to barely seal and still be able to push the bolt forward and back like a greased pig.

Powkoa's old feedback
Old 07-26-2009, 08:09 PM #11
dblk22vball

Annual Supporting Member
I went through and COMPLETLY cleaned the whole thing. I mean I set the manifold in parts cleaner for 2 days to get all the gunk out of it, cleaned and relubed the solenoid itself, cleaned out the transfer chamber, cleaned out all of the holes in the bolt (I was surprised at all of the gunk in the beercan holes).

I am using a #14 o-ring on the boat sale, and #009's on the tail. I have my lpr set pretty low, it is maybe half-1 turn above shooting (a turn above where the paint would get stuck in the barrel). I can rake the trigger as fast as I can and I dont have any drop off that I can tell yet.

but the big update will come on sat night after I get back from playing,.
Old 08-04-2009, 12:44 PM #12
dblk22vball

Annual Supporting Member
Update - It poured this weekend, so I was not able to use the dm3