Advertisement
Old 08-02-2009, 02:20 PM #2
Flying_Dutchman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laureate View Post
to establish an abstract principle?

My definition of an abstract principle -

Abstract principle:any law which can not be scientifically derived
If you're limiting what can be scientifically derived to empirical data, then the field of metaphysics involves plenty of abstract principles.
Flying_Dutchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 02:34 PM #3
Laureate
strength beyond strength

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying_Dutchman View Post
If you're limiting what can be scientifically derived to empirical data, then the field of metaphysics involves plenty of abstract principles.
is there any objective universal metaphysical law?
Old 08-02-2009, 02:56 PM #4
Flying_Dutchman

Quote:
is there any objective universal metaphysical law?
I'm not sure there are that many certain metaphysical laws (outside of bull**** self help books and the like). Metaphysics still relies on logic so if you're trying to go outside of that I can't help you.

I'm sure there are some "rules" of metaphysics that I'm not familiar with, but they must be rules of logic rather than empirically derived.

Can we just talk about metaphysics instead? It's really ****ing cool/weird/annoying sometimes.

Things it pertains to: space and time, identity, necessity, possibility, objects. I'm pretty interested in endurantism vs. perdurantism. You probably won't find that on the internet though.

edit: and I think once we start deriving metaphysical "laws," then whatever those laws pertain to and dictate will begin to make their way into the realm of ordinary physics.
Old 08-02-2009, 02:59 PM #5
Laureate
strength beyond strength

Quote:
I'm not sure there are that many certain metaphysical laws (outside of bull**** self help books and the like). Metaphysics still relies on logic so if you're trying to go outside of that I can't help you.

I'm sure there are some "rules" of metaphysics that I'm not familiar with, but they must be rules of logic rather than empirically derived.

Can we just talk about metaphysics instead? It's really ****ing cool/weird/annoying sometimes.

Things it pertains to: space and time, identity, necessity, possibility, objects. I'm pretty interested in endurantism vs. perdurantism. You probably won't find that on the internet though.
What I am trying to say is,

H:if something can not be empirically derived, then it can not be proved correct.
or
H2: If something can not be empirically derived, it can not be correct.

H2 is what I am really shooting for

Edit: I was wondering if there were any examples that would prove the idea wrong.
Old 08-02-2009, 03:03 PM #6
hsilman
Disgustipated

my short answer:

no, not really. But you already knew that. It's possible to disprove some abstract principles through feats of logic or rationality, but you can't prove them beyond logical consistency in way that you can universalize.
hsilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 03:05 PM #7
Laureate
strength beyond strength

Quote:
Originally Posted by hsilman View Post
my short answer:

no, not really. But you already knew that. It's possible to disprove some abstract principles through feats of logic or rationality, but you can't prove them beyond logical consistency in way that you can universalize.
Exactly, you can disprove any abstract principle! This means that no abstract principle can be objective.

And what I am really getting at is....philosophy is pointless then.
Old 08-02-2009, 03:08 PM #8
Flying_Dutchman

Quote:
my short answer:

I asked you before if you were a fan of either Lewis or Van Inwagen and you never answered I don't think.
Old 08-02-2009, 03:10 PM #9
hsilman
Disgustipated

Quote:
Exactly, you can disprove any abstract principle! This means that no abstract principle can be objective.

And what I am really getting at is....philosophy is pointless then.
not all philosophy deals only with abstract principles, and once you are relatively sure of abstract principles you can apply them to practical situations.
Old 08-02-2009, 03:26 PM #10
Laureate
strength beyond strength

Quote:
not all philosophy deals only with abstract principles, and once you are relatively sure of abstract principles you can apply them to practical situations.
can you give me examples to work with
Old 08-02-2009, 03:28 PM #11
hsilman
Disgustipated

http://books.google.com/books?id=Eu-...gbs_navlinks_s

so, no, I can't give you examples. I'm a philosopher damnit, I'm too busy to answer your questions!
Old 08-02-2009, 03:48 PM #12
Laureate
strength beyond strength

Quote:
http://books.google.com/books?id=Eu-...gbs_navlinks_s

so, no, I can't give you examples. I'm a philosopher damnit, I'm too busy to answer your questions!
aye.....
Old 08-02-2009, 03:56 PM #13
Flying_Dutchman

Quote:
can you give me examples to work with
I dunno if this works but the notion that "something cannot come from nothing" was once a metaphysical principle and now it's really part of physics, considering the laws of thermodynamics
Old 08-02-2009, 04:10 PM #14
Laureate
strength beyond strength

Quote:
I dunno if this works but the notion that "something cannot come from nothing" was once a metaphysical principle and now it's really part of physics, considering the laws of thermodynamics
yeah, the law was scientifically derived.

edit: never mind, it was conceived then derived........ right?

Last edited by Laureate : 08-02-2009 at 04:26 PM.
Laureate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 05:11 PM #15
madgoat
Troll_Extraordinaire

madgoat has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:

But the problem is that it can be scientifically described so it wouldn't fit for what you are looking for.
Old 08-02-2009, 05:16 PM #16
Laureate
strength beyond strength

Quote:
Originally Posted by madgoat View Post
But the problem is that it can be scientifically described so it wouldn't fit for what you are looking for.
yeah, but doesn't every metaphysical claim have the potential to be scientifically derived?
Old 08-02-2009, 05:38 PM #17
shaka zulu
OCMI/A5OG OSF

Quote:
yeah, but doesn't every metaphysical claim have the potential to be scientifically derived?
In short, theoretically...yes. That isn't to say that every metaphysical claim will be, but the potential exists so long as any scientist is willing to tackle a given claim.
Leave a message and tell us what you think!
Orange County Mobile Infantry
Proudly Supported by:My Wife | SC Village l Tiberius Arms | Tippmann |

Originally Posted by CrazyLittle: Sapiens is a species. NASCAR is a RACE!!!
shaka zulu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 05:45 PM #18
Flying_Dutchman

Quote:

right.

Quote:
I would say so, yes. The point is that metaphysical notions (about time, for instance) cannot be scientifically derived yet. But it's easy to see something like stage theory, endurantism, or perdurantism being proved scientifically in the future.

Silman, avoiding my question?
Old 08-02-2009, 10:28 PM #19
Spock
Live Long and Bluster

Spock is a founding member
 has been a member for 10 years
Quote:
to establish an abstract principle?

My definition of an abstract principle -

Abstract principle:any law which can not be scientifically derived
That depends on what you mean by "establish".
Spock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 11:52 AM #20
hsilman
Disgustipated

Quote:
I asked you before if you were a fan of either Lewis or Van Inwagen and you never answered I don't think.
Quote:
right.

I would say so, yes. The point is that metaphysical notions (about time, for instance) cannot be scientifically derived yet. But it's easy to see something like stage theory, endurantism, or perdurantism being proved scientifically in the future.

Silman, avoiding my question?
lol sorry I didn't see it, and I don't think you asked me before, but then again I'm obviously not a good person to ask since I miss things often.

You're going to have to be more specific about which lewis. CS Lewis, Rick Lewis, or Peter Lewis, perhaps? I would generally assume the first, though the 2nd is a possibility considering the context, whereas the last is a longshot but it's possible. There's also Lewis Gordon, though he's a "black" philosopher and even though he says his specialty is phenomenology he talks about a race a lot, so I doubt that's who you're talking about.

To preempt, if it's the first, then yes definitely. The second, no I hate so called "popular philosophy" since it is no more than this ****ty subforum exploded into a mainstream setting, at best. Peter Lewis I don't know much baout but I know he talks a lot about the philosophical implications of quantum mechanics, which is ****ing cool.

I hate Van Inwagen. If you want to label him, he's either a platonist or a nomanalist and I don't care if he says differently and I hate those people. He might as well have named "Material beings" a neo-platonist manifesto, and his consequence argument doesn't take into account any middle ground and it also doesn't really explore the moral implications. but that's my opinion, of course, and I don't have a PhD or anything lol
Old 08-03-2009, 01:46 PM #21
Flying_Dutchman

Quote:
lol sorry I didn't see it, and I don't think you asked me before, but then again I'm obviously not a good person to ask since I miss things often.

You're going to have to be more specific about which lewis. CS Lewis, Rick Lewis, or Peter Lewis, perhaps? I would generally assume the first, though the 2nd is a possibility considering the context, whereas the last is a longshot but it's possible. There's also Lewis Gordon, though he's a "black" philosopher and even though he says his specialty is phenomenology he talks about a race a lot, so I doubt that's who you're talking about.

To preempt, if it's the first, then yes definitely. The second, no I hate so called "popular philosophy" since it is no more than this ****ty subforum exploded into a mainstream setting, at best. Peter Lewis I don't know much baout but I know he talks a lot about the philosophical implications of quantum mechanics, which is ****ing cool.

I hate Van Inwagen. If you want to label him, he's either a platonist or a nomanalist and I don't care if he says differently and I hate those people. He might as well have named "Material beings" a neo-platonist manifesto, and his consequence argument doesn't take into account any middle ground and it also doesn't really explore the moral implications. but that's my opinion, of course, and I don't have a PhD or anything lol

I was talking about David Lewis, author of The Plurality of Worlds.

As for Van Inwagen, do you agree with his views about the passage of time, time and identity, and the existence of fictional characters?