Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 07-24-2009, 06:37 AM #1
RamboPreacher
Player not a Pro.

RamboPreacher is a founding member
 has been a member for 10 years
de-baptism?

why is it that some atheists feel the need to be against something that for them doesn't exist and is moot? recently saw an article about a de-baptism, with a blow dryer:
http://www.usatoday.com/news/religio...ebaptism_N.htm

what difference does it make what you participated in the past or in your childhood in regards to religion? if you don't believe in it, then it has no meaning, there is no challenge, it's a moot point, right?

What difference does it make? did they (the atheists) renounce their belief in Santa or the Easter bunny by not participating in certain holidays and perhaps waving a picture of milk and cookies with a big red X over their head, or waving a rabbit's foot around or something.

This isn't atheism, it's anti-theism, in my view anyway.
Member of: † Christ † Krew † #82

"I believe, in order to understand" or "I understand in order to believe": Augustine/Anselm (paraphrase)
"Science, and especially physics is not about 'truths' - It's about forming beliefs that are less false"; Dr. S. James Gates, Jr.
RamboPreacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 07:55 AM #2
hsilman
Disgustipated

stupid people will be stupid, RP. same as any other religion/theology/worldview/whateveryouwanttocallit
hsilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 08:06 AM #3
nflvikings
It's fizzix.

nflvikings is a Forum Captain
To me, it's as silly as baptism in the first place, but c'est la vie. Doesn't really affect me either way.
Old 07-24-2009, 08:19 AM #4
warbeak2099
That is my foot!

Some people feel the need to symbolize their system of belief or disbelief. Nothing wrong with that. Christianity certainly contains a lot of symbolic rituals. I don't see why an atheist isn't allowed to symbolize his or her choice to not believe without being ridiculed. Sounds like you're holding a double standard RP. Why can't they symbolize what they believe to be their breaking free from something that previously held them down?
#12 Italian Baller
“The real test of a man is not how well he plays the role he has invented for himself, but how well he plays the role that destiny assigned to him.”
-Václav Havel
warbeak2099 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 08:43 AM #5
RamboPreacher
Player not a Pro.

nope, not a double standard, just wondering why the anti-religion. they dont' denounce their (that I know of) freedom of Santa Clause, the Easter Bunny, or the Tooth Fairy do they? to me it is the atheist that does this kind of thing (ie - requesting a denunciation of "confirmation" as well fits here) that has the double standard, or at the very least isn't consistent in their enlightenment of (non) beliefs.

course hsilman has a point. we are all people.

"I believe, in order to understand" or "I understand in order to believe": Augustine/Anselm (paraphrase)
"Science, and especially physics is not about 'truths' - It's about forming beliefs that are less false"; Dr. S. James Gates, Jr.
Old 07-24-2009, 08:55 AM #6
nflvikings
It's fizzix.

nflvikings is a Forum Captain
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamboPreacher View Post
nope, not a double standard, just wondering why the anti-religion. they dont' denounce their (that I know of) freedom of Santa Clause, the Easter Bunny, or the Tooth Fairy do they? to me it is the atheist that does this kind of thing (ie - requesting a denunciation of "confirmation" as well fits here) that has the double standard, or at the very least isn't consistent in their enlightenment of (non) beliefs.

Christmas and Easter have increasingly become consumer holidays over the last couple decades anyway.
Old 07-24-2009, 09:24 AM #7
RamboPreacher
Player not a Pro.

agreed, but that's besides the point of the topic, now, isn't it.

Old 07-24-2009, 10:08 AM #8
warbeak2099
That is my foot!

It's not necessarily anti-religion. It's just symbolic of them shedding their religion. It's a symbolic gesture of them getting rid of religion in their life. Why can the irreligious not symbolize their disbelief or lack of belief? Religion has symbolic customs, why can't an atheist symbolize his/her shedding of religion in a similar custom? Honestly, you'd rather have them just keep it to themselves so you don't have to see it or be offended by it. That's what Atheists have been telling religious people for years. If the religious can symbolize their beliefs in customs then atheists can do the same to symbolize their shedding of those beliefs. Don't hold a double standard.
#12 Italian Baller
“The real test of a man is not how well he plays the role he has invented for himself, but how well he plays the role that destiny assigned to him.”
-Václav Havel
Old 07-24-2009, 10:37 AM #9
RamboPreacher
Player not a Pro.

right - don't hold a double standard, if they are going to do this, then why not the other things I mentioned? to me the double standard is the atheist that does these things, since they don't do it for all the shedding of their unenlightened points. honestly it doesn't matter to me, except that they are being anti-religious, and not non-religious; this is born out by their double standard of not applying their enlightenment to all areas (and ONLY to the area of "religion").

but no worries, as I mentioned; i chalk it off as being a people-kind.

Last edited by RamboPreacher : 07-24-2009 at 10:40 AM.
Old 07-24-2009, 10:41 AM #10
warbeak2099
That is my foot!

They don't have to symbolize their lack of belief by doing the ceremony for every single superstition out there. They are using one to symbolize it all. Again, you're just trying to find something wrong with it.
#12 Italian Baller
-Václav Havel
Old 07-24-2009, 10:59 AM #11
RamboPreacher
Player not a Pro.

people are people. some are anti-religious, some aren't.

Old 07-24-2009, 11:59 AM #12
warbeak2099
That is my foot!

Quote:
people are people. some are anti-religious, some aren't.
I don't think it has anything to do with anti-religion so much as it's about shedding religion from their lives in a symbolic ceremony. Reading into it anymore than that is silly.
#12 Italian Baller
-Václav Havel
Old 07-24-2009, 12:18 PM #13
RamboPreacher
Player not a Pro.

no - you are silly for calling me names! oh, wait...

Old 07-24-2009, 01:17 PM #14
Zidane
Viva La Nation

It's not anti-religion any more than getting baptized is pro-religion. Stop trying to start a debate over something so meaningless. Just like religious people traditionally symbolize becoming part of a religion with a baptism, some atheists may want to show their shedding of that religion in a similar fashion.
Zidane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 01:33 PM #15
Subterfuge
Arctic Wolf

Wouldn't be religious to de-baptize? If it had no meaning wouldn't by doing so give it meaning?
Subterfuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 01:45 PM #16
Zidane
Viva La Nation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subterfuge View Post
Wouldn't be religious to de-baptize? If it had no meaning wouldn't by doing so give it meaning?
Which is why this is a very small group of atheists participating. Most of them would just turn it down as it trying to be a religious ceremony. Notice the article only said 250 people participated, as well as some small groups of college students? The root of the ceremony is actually a political movement trying to show that there are a lot of atheists in society, although they do not usually get any kind of recognition. Sadly though, this might get some media exposure, but will probably come off as negative when it's really just trying to be satirical, and on top of that with this small of a turnout they really won't be getting a point across.

Last edited by Zidane : 07-24-2009 at 01:50 PM.
Old 07-24-2009, 02:49 PM #17
St.Geezy

St.Geezy owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
St.Geezy is for the Gunfight
I really don't understand the thinking of Atheists (not trying to flame)

How does one really believe that we are here from just a huge explosion? Life does not just start to appear. It had to come from somewhere, and the logic just doesn't make much sense to me.

Can a claimed Atheist please explain this to me?

I mean, there mere fact that we can even see is a miracle

ST:Tech
St.Geezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 03:12 PM #18
TPB_Bubbles
Veritas Vos Liberabit

Because most people in the world are stupid as ****.

/thread.

"Upstream, small redirectons of flow, downstream everything shifts."
TPB_Bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 04:04 PM #19
Spock
Live Long and Bluster

Spock is a founding member
Quote:

People do not take Santa Claus or the Easter Bunny seriously, and everyone recognizes them as childhood fantasies. Unlike religion, and in particular Christianity in certain parts of this country and Islam in many other countries, one's lack of belief in those things is never used to ostracize a person from certain circles of society, or in some cases, literally preclude them from certain professions.

Just because people are not religious doesn't mean they don't value ritual. Therefore, the desire to symbolize one's freedom from what they consider to be an oppressive belief system that was most likely imposed upon them as a young child is understandable, even if it is done in a deliberately irreverent and ridiculing manner.
Spock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 04:07 PM #20
RamboPreacher
Player not a Pro.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spock View Post
People do not take Santa Claus or the Easter Bunny seriously, and everyone recognizes them as childhood fantasies. ....
i know many people, epecially children that do take them seriously! which is part of the point i was making. if these people are "growing up", then why be anti-religious, other than they are just people, and people are people no matter the religion (or lack thereof).

Old 07-24-2009, 04:12 PM #21
Zidane
Viva La Nation

Quote:
Originally Posted by St.Geezy View Post
I really don't understand the thinking of Atheists (not trying to flame)

How does one really believe that we are here from just a huge explosion? Life does not just start to appear. It had to come from somewhere, and the logic just doesn't make much sense to me.

Can a claimed Atheist please explain this to me?

I mean, there mere fact that we can even see is a miracle
Since you just stated that logic doesn't make sense to you, no one will be able to dumb it down enough for you to understand or comprehend it, and it isn't worth the effort or the ensuing flame war because you aren't going to change your mind anyway. Just stick with your god.

Quote:
if these people are "growing up", then why be anti-religious, other than they are just people, and people are people no matter the religion (or lack thereof).
If you're going to use that argument, then why be "pro-religious" and be baptized? There is no anti religion going on, they are just showing that they choose to shed the religion imposed on them by their parents at a young age.

Last edited by Zidane : 07-24-2009 at 04:14 PM.