Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 07-21-2009, 09:39 PM #1
ἔρως-φιλία-ἀγάπη

ἔρως-φιλία-ἀγάπη helped look for balloons
What are the 'core beliefs' of Christianity?

Most everyone who is Christian has a set of these. These are the "doctrines" you believe should be accepted without question (or that have huge amounts of Biblical evidence) by anyone who is Christian. If any Christian did not believe in these, they would be at the least a heretic, at the most not even Christian at all. I just want to know how the Christians on here REALLY view Christianity in terms of theology.

AKA: What, to conservative Protestants, would make Mormons and Jehovah's Witnesses not Christian and Catholics "misguided?"

No offense to Mormons, Jehovah's Witnesses, or Catholics. In fact, feel free to post here if you want want.

My only belief that I feel would make you Christian is that you have to believe God is God and that Jesus died to save you from death (lake of fire, hell, spiritual death or however you want to put it.)

I have all my other beliefs as well, but I don't think they are necessary as long as you are resolute on the first two.

Last edited by ἔρως-φιλία-ἀγάπη : 07-21-2009 at 09:43 PM.
ἔρως-φιλία-ἀγάπη is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 07-21-2009, 09:44 PM #2
RamboPreacher
Player not a Pro.

RamboPreacher is a founding member
 has been a member for 10 years
[prerequisite tagging defining a joking, and jovial attitude in posting]
you must believe in a literal hell, or you are going there. hehehheheee
[/prerequisite tagging defining a joking, and jovial attitude in posting]

really, though, a Christian (as opposed to a "Christian" - someone who professes Christianity, but doens't follow the basic tenants therein) is someone who follows the teaching of Christianity; Essentially a monotheistic, Trinitarian (specifically the divinity/Deity of Jesus, and that He is all God and all man). the foundation from a historical Jesus of Nazareth, some 2000 or so years ago in Israel. Further that this Jesus fulfilled OT prophecies, and performed miracles (not just tricks). Further that He was crucified, then died, descended to hell, then was resurrected (not resuscitated), and ascended to the kingdom of heaven.

Christianity is so easy a person of a handful of years old and an understanding of the difference in right and wrong (accountability) can accept and acknowledge who Jesus is, receive the atoning sacrifice, to repent of sin, and to try and live according to what the New Testament teaches. and is also so deep that the disciple of Jesus could study His word for a lifetime and never reach all that is available.

The term Christian is actually of negative connotation, and is probably better translated not as little Christs, or Christlike - but more akin to something like those wretched little christs.

Monotheism
Trinity
Jesus is God in the flesh (in heaven and is still hypostatic union of all God and all man)
Jesus rose from the dead, physically (and atoned for our sin)
Salvation is by grace alone
Salvation through Jesus alone
Virgin Birth of Jesus
I guess, I could go on with some tertiary, "essentials" (including belief in eternal separation from God for those not accepting the Gospel as presented to them - judged for what they know).

I would say that the primary essentials, at a very minimum would be:
Monotheism (with an overarching understanding of salvation by grace)
Deity of Jesus (hypostatic union/communication idiomatum)
Resurrection of Jesus (atonement, fulfillment, etc)
Member of: Christ Krew #82

"I believe, in order to understand" or "I understand in order to believe": Augustine/Anselm (paraphrase)
"Science, and especially physics is not about 'truths' - It's about forming beliefs that are less false"; Dr. S. James Gates, Jr.

Last edited by RamboPreacher : 07-21-2009 at 10:09 PM.
RamboPreacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 09:58 PM #3
ἔρως-φιλία-ἀγάπη

ἔρως-φιλία-ἀγάπη helped look for balloons
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamboPreacher View Post
[prerequisite tagging defining a joking, and jovial attitude in posting]
you must believe in a literal hell, or you are going there. hehehheheee
[/prerequisite tagging defining a joking, and jovial attitude in posting]
I actually laughed at that. Thanks, RP.