PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 07-21-2009, 10:16 PM #22
Gold Leader (Banned)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ἔρως-φιλία-ἀγάπη View Post
Yeap, that's why there's magma coming out of volcanoes...

EDIT: I more or less believe the Genesis creation story is more of a metaphor.

IE: There is no literal Eden.
A metaphor for what?
Gold Leader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 07-21-2009, 10:20 PM #23
ἔρως-φιλία-ἀγάπη

ἔρως-φιλία-ἀγάπη helped look for balloons
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gold Leader View Post
A metaphor for what?
Maybe Eden is a metaphor for heaven, and Satan tempted man while he was still in heaven, and man was thrown to earth at the same time Satan was thrown to tartarus. But I cannot say for certain. I have not done too much research about it, because I do not consider it that important. Whether you believe Genesis is literal and the earth was created 6000 years ago or metaphorical and believe it is billions of years old, I think the point is that we are here now. I just believe it's metaphorical because old earth and evolution is supported scientifically.
Old 07-22-2009, 12:19 AM #24
Crede777
Resident Agnostic

Crede777 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
It could be said that the Garden of Eden is a metaphor for a mental state. Perhaps the first Homo sapiens were blissfully ignorant and resided in a place with abundant food. Then, we partook of the tree of knowledge and something akin to the First Great Leap Forward happened.
Derr: Whether or not you believe the universe is here for a reason is patently irrelevant to whether or not the universe cares.
XBL = On3ManRi0t

Breakout Photos
Crede777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 02:31 AM #25
Pizzaman
End Of The Line

"He who would trade liberty for some temporary security, deserves neither."

Pizzaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 04:28 AM #26
mugendai
Blame it on the boogie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cryptic.paintball View Post
Was it not next to Storybook Forest?
K cool, thanks bro...

you're jokes are old, and are not funny.
Old 07-24-2009, 01:32 PM #27
Zidane
Viva La Nation

has been a member for 10 years
Quote:
Mormons actually believe that ?
Yep. It totally makes sense with Jesus being middle eastern and America not even being close to existing as it is today. Right?

Lolz at religion.
Zidane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 01:45 PM #28
ἔρως-φιλία-ἀγάπη

ἔρως-φιλία-ἀγάπη helped look for balloons
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zidane View Post
Yep. It totally makes sense with Jesus being middle eastern and America not even being close to existing as it is today. Right?

Lolz at religion.
lolz at Mormonism?
Old 07-24-2009, 01:57 PM #29
Zidane
Viva La Nation

Quote:
Originally Posted by ἔρως-φιλία-ἀγάπη View Post
lolz at Mormonism?
Lolz indeed.
Old 07-24-2009, 02:38 PM #30
St.Geezy

St.Geezy owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
St.Geezy is for the Gunfight
Quote:
Lolz indeed.
elaborate

Quote:
Mormons actually believe that ?
and yes, we do believe that is where the Garden of Eden is.

ST:Tech

Last edited by St.Geezy : 07-24-2009 at 02:41 PM.
St.Geezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 03:11 PM #31
RamboPreacher
Player not a Pro.

RamboPreacher is a founding member
Quote:
Originally Posted by St.Geezy View Post
and yes, we do believe that is where the Garden of Eden is.
no other explanation or justification, or citation or reference?

You do realize how "silly" that sounds to say that you believe that the Garden of Eden is in one of the states of America, don't you?
Member of: † Christ † Krew † #82

"I believe, in order to understand" or "I understand in order to believe": Augustine/Anselm (paraphrase)
"Science, and especially physics is not about 'truths' - It's about forming beliefs that are less false"; Dr. S. James Gates, Jr.
RamboPreacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 04:17 PM #32
Zidane
Viva La Nation

Quote:
elaborate
I don't need to. Mormon beliefs are just hilarious. They claim to be Christians but everything they believe in is so misaligned with Christian beliefs that I have no idea how anyone in the religious circle can take them seriously. For example, how all the Indians were white but angered god so he turned their skin brown, how Jesus and Satan are brothers, the beliefs that any of this stuff happened in modern day America, all the false "prophesies" that never happened, the magic underwear, the secrecy of everything in the temple, etc. I mean come on, I'm not religious, and I think that the Bible gets pretty far fetched, but this is just ridiculous. It blows my mind that when I drive one mile in any direction from my house I will pass about three Mormon churches. How can there be that many of them?

Last edited by Zidane : 07-24-2009 at 04:21 PM.
Old 07-24-2009, 04:37 PM #33
St.Geezy

Quote:
I don't need to. Mormon beliefs are just hilarious. They claim to be Christians but everything they believe in is so misaligned with Christian beliefs that I have no idea how anyone in the religious circle can take them seriously. For example, how all the Indians were white but angered god so he turned their skin brown, how Jesus and Satan are brothers, the beliefs that any of this stuff happened in modern day America, all the false "prophesies" that never happened, the magic underwear, the secrecy of everything in the temple, etc. I mean come on, I'm not religious, and I think that the Bible gets pretty far fetched, but this is just ridiculous. It blows my mind that when I drive one mile in any direction from my house I will pass about three Mormon churches. How can there be that many of them?
We are Christian because we look to Christ for salvation and worship Him and the Father. We are not saved by our works, but through the grace of Christ (as explained more fully below). We believe in God the Father, His Son Jesus Christ, and the Holy Ghost as the members of the Godhead, being one in purpose, heart, and intent. I discuss these issues more fully below, noting that we do differ from many churches in our theology. Although I may disagree with the theology of some other Christians, that gives me no right to say that they are not Christians because they don't see things the way I do. If someone looks to Christ for salvation and seeks to follow Him, in my mind, that's enough to qualify as being a Christian, regardless of other theological differences.

Now let's examine the two primary charges. We are said to be unchristian because 1) we allegedly think we must keep the commandments to be saved and 2) we do not accept the standard doctrine of the Trinity. These issues are treated in more length in my discussion on grace, works, and salvation), but here's my quick response to both charges:

1) Commandment keeping? In Matthew 19:16-22, somebody asked Christ directly what he needed to do to have eternal life. Christ answered: "If thou wilt enter into life, keep the commandments." We believe Christ said this for a reason - and there are dozens of similar statements in the Bible (scripture-lovers may wish to study a sampling of such statements). This does not mean that we are saved by works, but that we must follow Christ to receive His grace. We will be saved from physical death - thanks to the resurrection of Christ - by grace, regardless of what we do (1 Cor. 15:20-22). We also can be saved from spiritual death through the grace of Christ, thanks to His infinite atoning sacrifice. (Spiritual death = being cast out of God's presence because of sin, losing "eternal life" - the heavenly immortal life that is possible for those living in the presence of God.) But to receive that grace and forgiveness, we must repent of our sins (Matt. 4:17, Mark 6:12; Acts 2:37,38; Acts 17:30; Heb. 6:1-3), have faith in Him, follow Him and strive to keep His commandments (Matt. 7:21, Rom. 2:4-11), "relying wholly upon the merits of him who is mighty to save" (Book of Mormon, 2 Nephi 31:19). I know that many good Christians will disagree with my interpretation of scripture, but I hope they will still accept my sincere declaration that Latter-day Saints are Christians and are taught to have faith in Christ and to look to Him and His grace for salvation. (A more detailed discussion is given in my article on faith, grace, works, and salvation.)

2) The Trinity? According to my reading of history, the doctrine of the Trinity as taught today (including the concept of an immaterial Godhead, one in substance, bodiless) was formulated in councils of men amid hot debate many years after Christ and the apostles. The doctrine of the Trinity is defined in a variety of creeds and statements such as the Nicene Creed, the Athanasian Creed, and, as an example of a more recent formulation from 1646, the Westminster Confession of Faith. In many of the creeds and related statements of belief, it is taught that there is one God manifest in three persons, all of one substance, without body, parts, or passions. This differs from the LDS view, as we shall see. Many feel it is exactly what the Bible teaches, but other sincere Christians interpret the text differently.

Latter-day Saints believe in God the Father, Jesus Christ, and the Holy Ghost, and believe that they are one in purpose and one in heart, but not one in substance. Recall the great prayer of Christ in John 17. There (in verse 21), Christ prayed that His followers "all may be one; as thou, Father, art in me; that they also may be one in us." In verse 22, He again prayed "that they may be one, even as we are one." In my view, this kind of oneness is a unity of purpose, intent, and heart, not a blending of substance into one being. When Christ prayed (many times) to His Father in Heaven, we believe that He was doing exactly that - communicating with His Father. Likewise, In Acts 7:55,56, before being killed by hateful critics, Stephen looked up towards heaven "and saw the glory of God, and Jesus standing on the right hand of God." He saw two Beings. Further, in the creation story in Genesis 1, God (Elohim, a plural noun) says in verse 26: "Let us make man in our image, after our likeness." We feel inclined to take that literally. (Note that the same wording is used to describe the physical similarity between Adam and one of his sons in Genesis 5:1-3; see also Heb. 1:3 and James 3:9.) Likewise, I see a similar concept in James 3:9, which says that "men ... are made after the similitude of God." I know our view goes against what most churches teach and is certainly open to debate, but taking the Bible too literally should not be sufficient cause to say we are not Christians.

We really bother some people by our literal views of Luke 24 (and other passages on the resurrection and the nature of God). In this chapter (verses 36-43), the resurrected Christ shows his body to his surprised disciples. They first think it is a spirit, but Christ asks them to feel his tangible body: "handle me and see, for a spirit hath not flesh and bones, as ye see me have." To drive the point home, he then asks for some food, and eats it in front of them. We actually believe that this happened and was a real event, not a dream or a metaphor. In contrast to my understanding of the standard Trinity doctrine (God "without body, parts, and passions"), we believe in a literal resurrection and believe that Christ is a resurrected Being with a tangible body, exactly as He showed us in Luke 24. And Christ, in the image of God, said in John 14:9 that "he that hath seen me hath seen the Father" - which I interpret as meaning that Christ looks like the Father. This is consistent with Col. 1:15 which describes Christ, the "firstborn of every creature," as "the image of the invisible God." Christ, in my view, has a tangible, glorious body. It is spiritual, being divine and permanently united with His spirit, but it is also tangible and real. It does not limit Him, but adds to His power and glory (see Philippians 3:21).

All this means, of course, that we believe God and Christ to be one Godhead (with the Holy Ghost), perfectly one in purpose, yet not one in substance. I feel that view is quite consistent with the Bible. Again, in Acts 7:55,56, Stephen, who is being martyred by enemies of the Church, sees God and Christ standing at the right hand of God. He saw two distinct beings - just as Joseph Smith did in his First Vision. In John 14:28, Christ says that "my Father is greater than I." In John 20:17, the newly resurrected Lord tells Mary to tell His disciples ("my brethren") that He will "ascend unto my Father, and your Father; and unto my God, and your God." Paul, in 1 Cor. 11:3, notes that the "head of Christ is God" just as "the head of the woman is the man" and the "head of every man is Christ." The implication to me is that distinct beings have distinct roles, allowing one to be the head, but in each case there is or should be unity. Indeed, the husband and wife should be "one flesh" according to the scriptures, believers and Christ should be one just as Christ and God are one (John 17:20-23) - but this unity does not imply that there is only one Being having three roles or manifestations or even "persons" of one substance. (You may also wish to compare Matt. 5:48 with Luke 13:32, Heb. 2:10, and Heb. 5:8,9.) God is the Father, Christ is the Son, yet he represents the Father and is God Himself, part of the united Godhead. It is appropriate to call Christ the Everlasting Father, not only because of His unity with God but because of His role as Creator, as described in Heb. 1:1-3 and Col. 1:15-18, and as Author of our salvation.

The distinctness of the three Beings in the Godhead is evident in Matthew 3:13-17, in which Christ is baptized. In this event, Christ is in the water, the Holy Ghost is descending in the form of a dove, and the Father speaks from heaven saying, "This is my beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased." Likewise, the many times that Christ went off to pray to the Father in private would be confusing, in my opinion, if Christ were the same substance and Being as the Father. In my reading of the Bible, they are distinct. Though there are distinct Beings, there is only one Godhead and only one source of salvation. Through their unity, to worship Christ is to worship the Father. In general, we worship and pray to God the Father in the name of Jesus Christ, though Christ represents the Father and is one with Him.

Old 07-24-2009, 04:40 PM #34
St.Geezy

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamboPreacher View Post

You do realize how "silly" that sounds to say that you believe that the Garden of Eden is in one of the states of America, don't you?
http://www.utlm.org/onlineresources/gardenofeden.htm

It is recorded in our scriptures that there is a place identified as Adam-ondi-Ahman, where Adam called the righteous among his posterity to to receive blessings, three years before his death.

It is also revealed that this location is in a place now called Spring Hill, Daviess County, Missouri.

• D&C 107:53–57: http://scriptures.lds.org/dc/107/53-57
• D&C 116: http://scriptures.lds.org/dc/116/1
http://scriptures.lds.org/chmaps/5
http://scriptures.lds.org/chphotos/10

Adam-ondi-Ahman

Last edited by St.Geezy : 07-24-2009 at 04:45 PM.
Old 07-24-2009, 05:10 PM #35
Zidane
Viva La Nation

Quote:
It is recorded in our scriptures that there is a place identified as Adam-ondi-Ahman, where Adam called the righteous among his posterity to to receive blessings, three years before his death.

It is also revealed that this location is in a place now called Spring Hill, Daviess County, Missouri.

http://scriptures.lds.org/chmaps/5
http://scriptures.lds.org/chphotos/10

Adam-ondi-Ahman
These quotes are from a book written by the Mormons, how can it be taken seriously by Christians when they follow the Bible and you follow your own book that is entirely different?

Also, since you had the respect to civilly reply to my post, I did read it, but you did not answer most of the claims I brought up. To add to them, I would like to bring up the fact that not only do you believe there is a heaven, but there are several levels of it, with the highest one allowing you to be a god of your own planet, and that the god of this planet achieved his status by earning his way into that level of heaven. Furthermore, that level of heaven is only attainable with a certain number of Mormon children/wives. I'd really love to hear about the multiple false prophesies as well.
Old 07-24-2009, 05:12 PM #36
cryptic.paintball
blah blah blah

cryptic.paintball is one of the top 500 posters on PbNation
cryptic.paintball is Legendary
cryptic.paintball is Boss
Quote:
These quotes are from a book written by the Mormons, how can it be taken seriously by Christians when they follow the Bible and you follow your own book that is entirely different?

Also, since you had the respect to civilly reply to my post, I did read it, but you did not answer most of the claims I brought up. To add to them, I would like to bring up the fact that not only do you believe there is a heaven, but there are several levels of it, with the highest one allowing you to be a god of your own planet, and that the god of this planet achieved his status by earning his way into that level of heaven. Furthermore, that level of heaven is only attainable with a certain number of Mormon children/wives. I'd really love to hear about the multiple false prophesies as well.
Is that any more fantastical than the christian beliefs? Until you can prove your beliefs, whatever they may be, you should not harp on anothers.
cryptic.paintball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 05:13 PM #37
RamboPreacher
Player not a Pro.

Zidane, you know there is an LDS thread and they welcome questions:
http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.php?t=1913847
just an FYI.

"I believe, in order to understand" or "I understand in order to believe": Augustine/Anselm (paraphrase)
"Science, and especially physics is not about 'truths' - It's about forming beliefs that are less false"; Dr. S. James Gates, Jr.
Old 07-24-2009, 05:14 PM #38
St.Geezy

Quote:

We believe after you die you can still choose to follow the church, giving you the chance to marry another member, thus attaining Godly glory. When you die, we believe, that you have the same feelings as you did on earth. So basically if you don't believe in God here you will still not believe in God even when you're in heaven. Make sense?

What I'm saying is you still have the chance to change your mind after you die and get married for all eternity.

Old 07-24-2009, 05:15 PM #39
RamboPreacher
Player not a Pro.

Quote:
http://www.utlm.org/onlineresources/gardenofeden.htm

• http://scriptures.lds.org/chmaps/5
• http://scriptures.lds.org/chphotos/10

Adam-ondi-Ahman
Thanks for the reply. I'll read up on this. thanks again.

Old 07-24-2009, 05:17 PM #40
St.Geezy

Quote:
Thanks for the reply. I'll read up on this. thanks again.
you're very welcome

Old 07-25-2009, 04:17 PM #41
mugendai
Blame it on the boogie!

Quote:

You do realize how silly that sounds to say that the Devil himself, the root of ALL evil, came in the form of a snake...

Last edited by mugendai : 07-25-2009 at 06:11 PM. Reason: Spelling mistake
mugendai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 08:28 PM #42
RamboPreacher
Player not a Pro.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mugendai View Post
You do realize how silly that sounds to say that the Devil himself, the root of ALL evil, came in the form of a snake...
sure I can see how you would see it that way, but how about starting a thread about it instead of trying to hijack this one.