Torque
AKA Forever

Annual Supporting Member
Torque is a Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by lhitg View Post
And then that flopped but I still love you
So do the same thing again? I thought we were trying to avoid failure.

FEEDBACK THREAD

Last edited by Torque : 08-06-2009 at 11:56 AM.
Torque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 08-06-2009, 04:21 PM #170
lhitg

Sure
lhitg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 04:34 PM #171
Brules
MFCEO

Annual Supporting Member
Brules is Boss
Old 08-06-2009, 05:11 PM #172
pizzaluvr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brules View Post
pizzaluvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 05:17 PM #173
invi$ion
hmmmmmm....

invi$ion supports Cereal Killerz 2
invi$ion helped look for balloons
invi$ion owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
invi$ion supports Team VICIOUS

we just need a motivational song
Old 08-06-2009, 05:31 PM #174
ibunkerfulz
shaggin in the doritos

Well reading through all this has been interesting to say the least. Most people who've played tourney ball in AR for any length of time know that Mick likes to poke tourney players in the eye with a rusty spoon. I'm not going to bother with jumping in on those arguments. Mick's a big boy and can handle himself. I've been on most of the teams that have played from T-Square since Gypsy Rain left. I even played in a couple of the APCs-makes me sound old, but I'm just 24. Currently I'm the Field Captain for Team 120.

As has been mentioned by at least a few folks, 5 man in Arkansas gets the same 3 teams every single time and occasionally a new team shows up for an event or two. The only way this new league will ever work (I really want it to.) is if it's based with new tourney players in mind. I'm not saying that it caters solely to them, but it needs to attract them otherwise the same few teams will go out, play, and watch another good thing for Arkansas paintball crumble around them.

The events need to be cheap. If you make the prizes a cash percentage of the entry fees, then everything's covered without having to reach into your own pocket. No guaranteed prizes mean a few teams won't show, but they don't anyway, so I couldn't care less about them wanting bigger prizes. Show up or shut up.

Make a series champ and have $5 out of every case sold go into a hat that will be the cash prize for the series champ. Torque did something like that at their 3man series, and I won about $1200 for team ACS or ASC (something like that) because they had participation points that put them over us even though we won all 3 of the tourneys we played. They hosted 5 I think, and missing the first 2 cost us $1200. That series was a 3-man with 4 or 5 teams usually, if I remember correctly. Do the math for a 5-man series.

The rules need to be consistently and constantly enforced. Every tourney has piss poor reffing, and it has great reffing depending on which side of what call your team is on. We can't change that, but if the refs make consistent calls, then at least everyone faces the same crap.

3 Man may be the way to begin the series and in a year or two add a 5 Man group. A tourney series won't just poof into being a hit because we want it to. Ask Torque who had several teams say they were up for another series before theirs fell. Ask the USPL folks. Ask Ness. Ask anyone who's ever tried to run a series. These things take time, money, and consistency to build into something worth it.

The organizational body should have some deal in place to make sure the field owners get compensated for the league's use of their field. Tournaments don't make nearly as much money as you'd think. They're a drain on everyone, cost a lot, take away from recball play, and generally have foul tempers and language that drives many recballers away.

Even if you don't agree with them, I'd listen to what Ed, Mick, Clay, and anyone else with experiences from the APC have to say about it. They've been there and done this before. Maybe not all of their ideas will work, but even knowing what won't might be a help.

RIP Cole "Crash" Martin
ibunkerfulz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 05:31 PM #175
ibunkerfulz
shaggin in the doritos

Quote:
Originally Posted by invi$ion View Post

we just need a motivational song
or a sports training montage

RIP Cole "Crash" Martin
ibunkerfulz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 05:40 PM #176
Brules
MFCEO

Annual Supporting Member
Brules is Boss
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibunkerfulz View Post
Well reading through all this has been interesting to say the least. Most people who've played tourney ball in AR for any length of time know that Mick likes to poke tourney players in the eye with a rusty spoon. I'm not going to bother with jumping in on those arguments. Mick's a big boy and can handle himself. I've been on most of the teams that have played from T-Square since Gypsy Rain left. I even played in a couple of the APCs-makes me sound old, but I'm just 24. Currently I'm the Field Captain for Team 120.

As has been mentioned by at least a few folks, 5 man in Arkansas gets the same 3 teams every single time and occasionally a new team shows up for an event or two. The only way this new league will ever work (I really want it to.) is if it's based with new tourney players in mind. I'm not saying that it caters solely to them, but it needs to attract them otherwise the same few teams will go out, play, and watch another good thing for Arkansas paintball crumble around them.

The events need to be cheap. If you make the prizes a cash percentage of the entry fees, then everything's covered without having to reach into your own pocket. No guaranteed prizes mean a few teams won't show, but they don't anyway, so I couldn't care less about them wanting bigger prizes. Show up or shut up.

Make a series champ and have $5 out of every case sold go into a hat that will be the cash prize for the series champ. Torque did something like that at their 3man series, and I won about $1200 for team ACS or ASC (something like that) because they had participation points that put them over us even though we won all 3 of the tourneys we played. They hosted 5 I think, and missing the first 2 cost us $1200. That series was a 3-man with 4 or 5 teams usually, if I remember correctly. Do the math for a 5-man series.

The rules need to be consistently and constantly enforced. Every tourney has piss poor reffing, and it has great reffing depending on which side of what call your team is on. We can't change that, but if the refs make consistent calls, then at least everyone faces the same crap.

3 Man may be the way to begin the series and in a year or two add a 5 Man group. A tourney series won't just poof into being a hit because we want it to. Ask Torque who had several teams say they were up for another series before theirs fell. Ask the USPL folks. Ask Ness. Ask anyone who's ever tried to run a series. These things take time, money, and consistency to build into something worth it.

The organizational body should have some deal in place to make sure the field owners get compensated for the league's use of their field. Tournaments don't make nearly as much money as you'd think. They're a drain on everyone, cost a lot, take away from recball play, and generally have foul tempers and language that drives many recballers away.

Even if you don't agree with them, I'd listen to what Ed, Mick, Clay, and anyone else with experiences from the APC have to say about it. They've been there and done this before. Maybe not all of their ideas will work, but even knowing what won't might be a help.
Best post of this whole thread.

/

Or whatever....but Ian has made a ton of valid points. Great post man!!!!
Old 08-06-2009, 05:50 PM #177
Dirty Ed
Former Store Owner

Annual Supporting Member
Dirty Ed works for a Paintball manufacturer
Dirty Ed is playing at Living Legends VII
Dirty Ed supports Empire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brules View Post
Best post of this whole thread.

/

Or whatever....but Ian has made a ton of valid points. Great post man!!!!
ditto

so are you all finished *****ing and complaining yet? or should we wait another 4 full pages of posts before any of us try to come up with any type of plan?
Dirty Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 06:38 PM #178
Quiting Paintball (Banned)

Rules-
Angels ONLY.
40bps cap.
no cleats.
8v8 games.
no knee pads.
fields will be part airball part hyperball, no mirriring bunkers.
Quiting Paintball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 09:01 PM #179
lhitg

And you have to move like the people do in dpb
lhitg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 01:59 AM #180
cling2theLAMB
Pretty much the coolest.

Quote:

Guys...I've been watching this thread but didn't want to chime in because..1) I haven't been involved in paintball in years and don't feel I have the right to chime in on this yet..2) it seems like there are alot of folks that have the mindset that it's their way or the highway and there is only one way to do this thing. The truth is that in humility and wisdom this has to morph into something appealing to what a majority of Arkansas paintball is RIGHT NOW and keep the focus at growing the sport which will in turn grow all the styles of the sport. I, for one, can't stand playing woodsball...drives me nuts...I have no patience. I do want to see that side of the sport do well though.

Basically, the guy that wrote the post I quoted definitely showed alot of wisdom in that post. I really like all the input that we've seen here (except the negative, childish parts) and I think it should all be thrown in the pot and used to make a lasting series that can benefit every facet of the sport. If this is a close minded thing then it will never grow the way we all want it to. Build the paintball COMMUNITY...draw EVERYONE together and they will enjoy getting together and playing more and more.

There seem to be alot of experienced folks with alot of wisdom about how to deal with the sport in this state...listen to them. Ignoring the experienced folks only leads to something that will take alot longer to iron out the kinks and things. Just take the advice and input and save the time and make your project something that will be amazing from the get go.

Okay...that's my two cents. May just seem like rambling nonsense...but I see HUGE potential and I want to see tournament paintball in this state really take off!

CPPA Member #1558
cling2theLAMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 06:37 PM #181
polarpaxton
WooPig

polarpaxton plays in the PSP
polarpaxton helped look for balloons
polarpaxton is an NCPA player
Quote:

and I won about $1200 for team ACS or ASC
RIP Razorback Paintball 2003-2009
NCPA AllStars Lifetime member
polarpaxton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 10:28 PM #182
Bowman_15

Quote:
Originally Posted by cling2theLAMB View Post
Build the paintball COMMUNITY...draw EVERYONE together and they will enjoy getting together and playing more and more.
The question is how to draw in EVERYONE????
Bowman_15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 07:31 PM #183
cling2theLAMB
Pretty much the coolest.

Well..in my opinion that is where the local field and local teams come in...teams help the fields contact local churches, youth groups, businesses, etc.. and offering deals for groups or something like that..get groups there and enjoying themselves and then go on to inviting them to the tournament closest to them. Something like that...just people getting out of the box and looking at the long run and not just focusing on what we can do now but insure a big tournament next year and the year after.

I'm not a know it all..a know it much..or really a know much of anything...but I do wanna see this sport grow in this state. And I'm decent at local promotion. I dunno...run with this thing and make it happen. Listen to those who have seen things try and fail or succeed and better your chances of success. None of us are just the most patient people..we want amazing tourneys and more tourney players NOW...but we need to make a drawn out plan to make the sport in this state something to be reckoned with!

CPPA Member #1558
cling2theLAMB is offline   Reply With Quote
ReplyRegional Ups