Now 6 37.50%
Later 8 50.00%
Never 2 12.50%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-20-2009, 10:46 PM #1
ROB.HENNING

ROB.HENNING owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Lightbulb Breaking some news

tonight I told my dad that football might not be my sport and I already play local tournaments but want to take it to the next level and play regional. My mom tells me not to mention it for a while or paintball for that matter.

Lets get my fathers story straigt he is a die hard football fan and "likes" paintball (but doesn't play) . He has made me play since I was 6 so its not a pleasent night at my house.

So I guess the ? is: how long should I give him to get over this before I propose this idea? also has anyboy else gone through this or am I rare candy?

Last edited by ROB.HENNING : 07-22-2009 at 02:23 PM. Reason: communism
ROB.HENNING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 07-20-2009, 10:47 PM #2
Dunkel Jäger
Live in the moment

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROB.HENNING View Post
Well Im not actually a newbie but tonight I told my dad that football might not be my sport and I already play local tournaments but want to take it to the next level and play regional. My mom tells me not to mention it for a while or paintball for that matter.

Lets get my fathers story straigt he is a die hard football fan and "likes" paintball (but doesn't play) . He has made me play since I was 6 so its not a pleasent night at my house.

So I guess the ? is: how long should I give him to get over this before I propose this idea? also has anyboy else gone through this or am I rare candy?
well till he cools off for one and then after that just mention how much it means to you

luckily i never went through that but i still get those wierd looks when they see me come back with marks
It’s what drives us to return to the field, week after week. The bruises we wear are badges of honor, and proof of our dedication to our chosen craft. One need only examine the smoking remains of our bank balances to see the extent of this addiction. We breath paintball. We live paintball. We are paintball.
Dunkel Jäger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 10:52 PM #3
ROB.HENNING

They know I love paintball so they don't care I get bruised up b/c that also happens in football but my dad is wierd he'll hold it in for ever and I'll never be able to tell so yeah
Old 07-20-2009, 10:56 PM #4
nronalds
Jesus wouldnt wipe

all my uncles and my dad are famous football coaches, if i said i would get beaten, but my dad knows what it means to me, you have to tell him wgat it means to you
Old 07-20-2009, 11:00 PM #5
ROB.HENNING

yeah but he has threatend to sell my gear for smaller stuff than this and I'm afraid he would acctually do it this time
Old 07-20-2009, 11:01 PM #6
memorex
I'm Suppish

memorex helped look for balloons
memorex is playing at Living Legends V
memorex owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
memorex supports Team VICIOUS
memorex is reppin' sidebar 4 life
football you will always have, and for a majority of the people who play it, only play until high school. paintball you can play for 40+years depending on how badly you beat your body up.
Old 07-20-2009, 11:03 PM #7
nronalds
Jesus wouldnt wipe

tomarow at the dinner table tell him that nronalds said stop bein a ***** and let the kid play, but really tell him you like paintball more and you can work at it, explain to him that it keeps you in shape and that its a team sport, most parents just think its ****in around with friends, bring him to some team meetings and practices, show him that its organized and that its something that can take you somewhere, hell you play paintball at college too
Old 07-20-2009, 11:04 PM #8
yates42

that sucks Just mention it here or there a couple times.
yates42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 11:07 PM #9
Noktrnl
PB Newbie

I'm sure no matter what you choose, your parents will support you, or at least I hope they would. If your father was majorly into football, it's only natural he would want you to follow along, but that doesn't mean that he should force you into it if it isn't your sport of choice.

If this is the first time you've mentioned that you're not excited about football, give them a couple days to talk about it, and think about it. My guess is that they will come to the decision to support you in no matter what sport you want to play, if that is going to truly make you happy.

On a side note... If they are thinking they are having to start a whole new investment for a new sport, let them know you will go out of your way to pay for it yourself, or at least help pay for it. Just you letting them know that you are serious about it, and not looking to take out of their wallets, might be just enough for them to give you the go ahead. Best of luck!
Noktrnl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 11:08 PM #10
ROB.HENNING

good ideas keepem coming
Old 07-20-2009, 11:15 PM #11
ROB.HENNING

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noktrnl View Post
I'm sure no matter what you choose, your parents will support you, or at least I hope they would. If your father was majorly into football, it's only natural he would want you to follow along, but that doesn't mean that he should force you into it if it isn't your sport of choice.

If this is the first time you've mentioned that you're not excited about football, give them a couple days to talk about it, and think about it. My guess is that they will come to the decision to support you in no matter what sport you want to play, if that is going to truly make you happy.

On a side note... If they are thinking they are having to start a whole new investment for a new sport, let them know you will go out of your way to pay for it yourself, or at least help pay for it. Just you letting them know that you are serious about it, and not looking to take out of their wallets, might be just enough for them to give you the go ahead. Best of luck!
I pay for it my self mostly other than $200 my dad owes me for breaking my gun. the only things they will pay for is my masks and field entry so they can have "alone time" and they know I'm safe while balls are coming at my face
:no homo:
Old 07-20-2009, 11:22 PM #12
neophyte

neophyte posts videos on PbNation
neophyte plays in the APPA D4 division
neophyte has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
neophyte has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
tell your dad that he cannot live his life through you. you have your own life to live and this is a decision you have made for yourself in your life.

if you arent a liberal at age twenty, you have no heart; if you arent a conservative at age fourty, you have no brain. -- Winston Churchill
neophyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 11:24 PM #13
ROB.HENNING

well Im only 13 my parents don't believe I should have a life
Old 07-20-2009, 11:26 PM #14
neophyte

oh that may not be the best thing to say to him then. just tell him you dont get the same enjoyment out of football as you do paintball. tell him that you realize you more than likely will not go pro in either sport so you would like to play the one you like the most simply for the fact you like it more.

if you arent a liberal at age twenty, you have no heart; if you arent a conservative at age fourty, you have no brain. -- Winston Churchill
Old 07-20-2009, 11:35 PM #15
ROB.HENNING

yeah but its easier to go pro in paintball than football
Old 07-20-2009, 11:40 PM #16
PB22

PB22 owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
PB22 plays in the APPA beginner division
Im actually in the same exact boat as you right now. Ive been playing local tourneys and completly love it. I want to play on a regional team but football has gotten in my way. At my school, football is huge, and it's huge in our family (my uncle went pro) Ive tried to tell them that paintball is what I want to do but they just think its a game where you mess around and dont have set practices and stuff..
PB22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 11:42 PM #17
neophyte

this maybe true to some extent but neither is something that just happens you have to work for it and you have to love the sport to work that hard. i wouldnt play merely for the thought you may go pro. there is no money in pro paintball anyways. you still spend money miss work spend all of your vacation time at work on paintball. even the pro players have to truly love it to keep playing so dont let that be your sole motivation.

Old 07-20-2009, 11:53 PM #18
nevekd128

just play for a season and tell him at the end you dont like it.....
it show that your willing to try and stick with it because you were committed.
think of the pride your parents would have although its not your thing
nevekd128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 11:54 PM #19
eforcegtid00d
factorypb

eforcegtid00d plays in the PSP
eforcegtid00d owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Just sit your parents down and tell them straight. They're going to give you a hard time either way. If you act confident and focused while having a long discussion about this, they will take you a lot more seriously than if you whisper it as you walk out of the room every so often. At least this way they will see that you know exactly what you want.
Old 07-20-2009, 11:57 PM #20
L337PwNaGe (Banned)

had the same problem with soccer

i just finally got mad and said all you are in soccer is a puppy chasing for a ball and everyone and their brother playes it.
paintball is unique and takes real skills.
then show them a derder vid afeter

imo, "mainstream sports" are boring as hell
L337PwNaGe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 10:41 AM #21
georgeyew

georgeyew supports Pev's Paintball
If you quit football, what will you do on the weekdays since paintball practices are typically on the weekends?
georgeyew is offline   Reply With Quote