Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 07-19-2009, 12:39 PM #1
cuttlefish32

Why does God love us?

It seems in a lot of religions (Christinaity espiecally) people take the idea that God loves them as understood fact. My question is, why does God love us? Simply because we are his creations?

edit: I realize the typo in the title but I can't change it.
Old 07-19-2009, 01:11 PM #2
St.Geezy

St.Geezy owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
St.Geezy is for the Gunfight
well, (in my religion) we believe we are his children. So it goes without saying that he loves us for that reason.

ST:Tech
St.Geezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 01:14 PM #3
draguneer
Illuminati

has been a member for 10 years
Well, Love is the highest omitted feeling one can give to another. To put it in perspective, all of lifes creation was based on Love...our main purpose in life is to find true love and be happy.

As to why God loves us, you have to ask yourself this: why do you love your family? Why do you love your girlfriend? Boyfriend? Pet?

You can't question ones love for another. Just because you don't believe, don't trust, or don't have faith, does not break Gods love for you as his child.

Just like your parents. If you have done something wrong, they don't stop their love for you.

So simply asking why someone or something "loves" you cannot be answered.

wat

sO*CaL mafia
draguneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 01:59 PM #4
Laureate
strength beyond strength

Quote:
Love is patient, love is kind.
It does not envy.
Love is never boastful, nor conceited, nor rude;
It is not self-seeking, nor easily angered.
It keeps no record of wrongdoing.
It does not delight in evil,
But rejoices in the truth.
It always protects, trusts, hopes, and preserves.
There is nothing love cannot face;
There is no limit to its faith, hope, and endurance.
In a word, there are three things that last forever:
Faith, hope, and love;
But the greatest of them all is love.
-1 Corinthians 13:4-7
I am not sure how this coincides with creating something, putting them in a position with absolutely distorted reason (god given reason that is), and then sending them to hell for an infinite amount of time.
Old 07-19-2009, 05:35 PM #5
cuttlefish32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laureate View Post
I am not sure how this coincides with creating something, putting them in a position with absolutely distorted reason (god given reason that is), and then sending them to hell for an infinite amount of time.
Exactly, if God loved us, I don't see why or even how he could send us to hell for all eternity.
Old 07-19-2009, 05:40 PM #6
St.Geezy

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuttlefish32 View Post
Exactly, if God loved us, I don't see why or even how he could send us to hell for all eternity.
ya but wasn't it your choice to sin? It's up to you whether or not you go to Hell. If he didn't do that to anyone, there would really be no purpose to life.

I'm LDS, we believe that you came here for a test, to achieve heavenly glory, and if you do bad here.. that's your fault. Otherwise you could kill someone without any consequences.

Old 07-19-2009, 05:46 PM #7
Crede777
Resident Agnostic

Crede777 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Quote:
Originally Posted by St.Geezy View Post
ya but wasn't it your choice to sin? It's up to you whether or not you go to Hell. If he didn't do that to anyone, there would really be no purpose to life.

I'm LDS, we believe that you came here for a test, to achieve heavenly glory, and if you do bad here.. that's your fault. Otherwise you could kill someone without any consequences.
The consequences of having a society which allows murder is having an unstable structure to that society. Really, banning murder in society has nothing to do with "sin" if you look at it. It's all about providing safety and structure.

Also, one cannot adequately blame a mortal for sinning when there is no proof of God's existence, there is merely belief and conjecture.

Finally, an infinite sentence defies all sense of punishment. One punishes so that another may learn. It's why parents punish children who misbehave. Being sent to hell for an infinite amount of time serves no purpose but to send that person to hell forever. There is no redemption, no point in learning, and no second chances.
Derr: Whether or not you believe the universe is here for a reason is patently irrelevant to whether or not the universe cares.
XBL = On3ManRi0t

Breakout Photos
Crede777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 05:51 PM #8
St.Geezy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crede777 View Post
The consequences of having a society which allows murder is having an unstable structure to that society. Really, banning murder in society has nothing to do with "sin" if you look at it. It's all about providing safety and structure.

Also, one cannot adequately blame a mortal for sinning when there is no proof of God's existence, there is merely belief and conjecture.

Finally, an infinite sentence defies all sense of punishment. One punishes so that another may learn. It's why parents punish children who misbehave. Being sent to hell for an infinite amount of time serves no purpose but to send that person to hell forever. There is no redemption, no point in learning, and no second chances.
A person who has murdered will only get that kind of punishment (in my own opinion) if they had not been taught to not do so.

Ending somebody's life is taking away their privilege to live, learn and grow. There is no unforgivable sin. You actually can accomplish forgiveness of murder. Once again, it's up to you what you do.

Old 07-19-2009, 05:52 PM #9
ISmokeIce
Postmodern Sophist

If we're speaking of Christian denominations, it follows:

The concept of love may be influenced by the enlightenment which replaced the medieval perspective that we suffer in this life for pleasure in the next.

Enlightenment changed this perception to: in one life you can suffer but be reborn into a more perfect being (via the sciences and the arts). So if we ask how do we know God loves us we can respond with: He gives us the opportunity to repent and be born anew. Which is a lot more then what the medieval philosophers would have given you.

If you ask Why God loves us, the answers may vary but I suspect none would be credible.
"No passion is stronger in the breast of man than the desire to make others believe as he believes...It is not the love of truth, but desire to prevail that sets quarter against quarter and makes parish desire the downfall of parish. Each seeks peace of mind and subserviency rather than the triumph of truth and exaltation of virtue-- But these moralities belong, and should be left to the historian, since they are as dull as ditch water" - Orlando: A Biography
ISmokeIce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 06:20 PM #10
Shope

Quote:
Even if it was your choice to sin God ultimately makes the decision whether or not you go to hell.

Quote:
There is no unforgivable sin.
Except that after you die God quits forgiving people?
Shope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 08:12 PM #11
cuttlefish32

Quote:
ya but wasn't it your choice to sin? It's up to you whether or not you go to Hell.
Well, no. One could argue that sin was created with Adam and Eve so man is stuck with sin the second he's born.
Or someone could easily argue that we have no free will (Laureate).
(In a different thread) Someone argued that if God can see the future your fate has already been decided.

Last edited by cuttlefish32 : 07-20-2009 at 11:15 AM.
cuttlefish32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 08:29 PM #12
ISmokeIce
Postmodern Sophist

Quote:
Well, no. One could argue that sin was created with Adam and Eve so man is stuck with sin the second he's born.
Or someone could easily argue that we have no free will (Laureate).
We cannot (up to now) conclude whether humans have free will or not, so saying that one could "easily" argue one way or the other is a bit of an overstatement. And if we cannot know whether humans have free will, it's better to say yes for a couple of reasons. One being that it encourages human to be responsible for their actions.

Quote:
(In a different thread) Someone argued that if God can see the future your fate has already been decided.
Even if God is all knowing, your decision is still made by you at the point that you make it. That anxious feeling is real even if the result is foreseen by a deity and the decision made is real.
"No passion is stronger in the breast of man than the desire to make others believe as he believes...It is not the love of truth, but desire to prevail that sets quarter against quarter and makes parish desire the downfall of parish. Each seeks peace of mind and subserviency rather than the triumph of truth and exaltation of virtue-- But these moralities belong, and should be left to the historian, since they are as dull as ditch water" - Orlando: A Biography

Last edited by ISmokeIce : 07-19-2009 at 10:58 PM.
Old 07-19-2009, 10:55 PM #13
Crede777
Resident Agnostic

Crede777 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
I thought God was the author of everything and loved the sinner, not the sin.
Derr: Whether or not you believe the universe is here for a reason is patently irrelevant to whether or not the universe cares.
XBL = On3ManRi0t

Breakout Photos
Crede777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 11:18 PM #14
nflvikings
It's fizzix.

nflvikings is a Forum Captain
Fixed the title for you.
Old 07-20-2009, 12:23 AM #15
Laureate
strength beyond strength

Quote:
Originally Posted by nflvikings View Post
Fixed the title for you.
you're a good person
Old 07-20-2009, 12:34 AM #16
Aaron5604
Nothing is what it seems

Quote:
why does God love us? Simply because we are his creations?
Well, if in fact humans are to be considered a, "work of art" than yes -- I do believe it to be that simple

JL Audio - 1000/1 Amp + 3 10W3V3 Subs (Enclosed) + Focal Access 130A1 Comps. for sale. PM me for details.

Last edited by Aaron5604 : 07-20-2009 at 12:42 AM.
Aaron5604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 12:56 AM #17
Laureate
strength beyond strength

If you are admitting that God does exist, I would be more interested in "what the hell is the point of this"? Especially when you don't know which religion to follow...

Which reminds me, if you can't figure out which religion to follow what is the point of religion?
Old 07-20-2009, 01:23 AM #18
ISmokeIce
Postmodern Sophist

Quote:
If you are admitting that God does exist, I would be more interested in "what the hell is the point of this"? Especially when you don't know which religion to follow...

Which reminds me, if you can't figure out which religion to follow what is the point of religion?
Thread derailment.

Kierkegaard (but many people can hold this opinion, but what I like about this coming from Kierkegaard is that he was set on being a Christian) holds two examples:
The Christian who worships without passion, just because she seeks forgiveness for the virtue of being forgiven
The Person who prays to the false god with all the passion in her being

Kierkegaard said that the even though the 2nd person worshiped a false god, because she prayed with the passion of a believer she was actually closer to God than the "Christian" who wasn't passionate about her worship.
Old 07-20-2009, 01:31 AM #19
Laureate
strength beyond strength

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISmokeIce View Post
Kierkegaard said that the even though the 2nd person worshiped a false god, because she prayed with the passion of a believer she was actually closer to God than the "Christian" who wasn't passionate about her worship.
I am pretty sure that doesn't work given biblical texts. just because he said it, and its aesthetically pleasing does not mean it is right.
Old 07-20-2009, 01:35 AM #20
ISmokeIce
Postmodern Sophist

Quote:
I am pretty sure that doesn't work given biblical texts. just because he said it, and its aesthetically pleasing does not mean it is right.
I'm not saying because he said it. I'm saying that it's a view that people hold and his example is one that I particularly like.

Read Either/Or before you judge the man.
Old 07-20-2009, 03:34 AM #21
St.Geezy

Quote:
James 1:5
If any of you lack wisdom, let him ask of God, that giveth to all men liberally, and upbraideth not; and it shall be given him.