Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 07-19-2009, 12:38 PM #1
cuttlefish32

love and fear in Christianity

I have come to assume that love and fear are oppisites, yet in Christianity, people are told to love and fear God. So I ask, is it possible to truthfully love and fear something at the same time?
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 07-19-2009, 01:12 PM #2
St.Geezy

St.Geezy owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
St.Geezy is for the Gunfight
why would anyone fear god?

ST:Tech
St.Geezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 02:00 PM #3
Laureate
strength beyond strength

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuttlefish32 View Post
I have come to assume that love and fear are oppisites, yet in Christianity, people are told to love and fear God. So I ask, is it possible to truthfully love and fear something at the same time?
I think your asking the wrong questions kid.
Old 07-19-2009, 02:09 PM #4
-Z3R0-

-Z3R0- donated to help Peyton Trent
Yes, you can love and fear something at the same time... just because you're emotionally attached to your girlfriend doesn't mean you aren't afraid of the consequences if you call her a **** in front of all your buddies.

I believe that sort of logic is the same one meant to apply for the humanity-divine relationship. I'm not absolutely sure though, being an atheist... when I still held some belief in religion (Catholicism), I wasn't too sure what to make of that love-fear relationship ideal with God, and by some odd twist I've only come to understand, or think I understand, after I've stopped believing. And there are many other things about religion that I only understand now that I've detached myself from it.

I guess it really does help to take a big step back and look at the whole wall after trying to center a picture frame.
-Z3R0- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 02:47 PM #5
markcheb
surrender...don't move

^^ One can do that and retain his faith as well, but good way to put it none the less.

To OP's ? - Yes.
ChristKrew #185
Anointing foreheads with the paintball for a while now.
Where's God? - Read Luke 15:11-32
markcheb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 02:54 PM #6
ISmokeIce
Postmodern Sophist

Yes, but if you can't have both always go for being feared.

/somedoucheinthe16thcentury
"No passion is stronger in the breast of man than the desire to make others believe as he believes...It is not the love of truth, but desire to prevail that sets quarter against quarter and makes parish desire the downfall of parish. Each seeks peace of mind and subserviency rather than the triumph of truth and exaltation of virtue-- But these moralities belong, and should be left to the historian, since they are as dull as ditch water" - Orlando: A Biography
ISmokeIce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 02:57 PM #7
0aktree (Banned)

Quote:
Originally Posted by St.Geezy View Post
why would anyone fear god?
according to the bible he killed everyone and everything except 1 family and 2 of each "kind"

i dunno but mass murder sounds like a great reason to fear something
0aktree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 03:17 PM #8
ISmokeIce
Postmodern Sophist

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0aktree View Post
according to the bible he killed everyone and everything except 1 family and 2 of each "kind"

Murder was used incorrectly in this sentence. It implies an ethical context in which murder is decidedly "moral" or "immoral."

The correct term is "termination."
"No passion is stronger in the breast of man than the desire to make others believe as he believes...It is not the love of truth, but desire to prevail that sets quarter against quarter and makes parish desire the downfall of parish. Each seeks peace of mind and subserviency rather than the triumph of truth and exaltation of virtue-- But these moralities belong, and should be left to the historian, since they are as dull as ditch water" - Orlando: A Biography
Old 07-19-2009, 03:27 PM #9
Laureate
strength beyond strength

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISmokeIce View Post
Murder was used incorrectly in this sentence. It implies an ethical context in which murder is decidedly "moral" or "immoral."

.....maybe not
Old 07-19-2009, 05:16 PM #10
St.Geezy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0aktree View Post

Just don't be wicked and you have nothing to worry about.

Old 07-19-2009, 05:42 PM #11
cuttlefish32

What I meant are there are multiple examples in psalms where it is said people must fear and love God.
Psalm 111: The fear of the LORD is the beginning of wisdom: a good understanding have all they that do his commandments: his praise endureth for ever.

Psalm 34: 9 Fear the LORD, you his saints,
for those who fear him lack nothing.

10 The lions may grow weak and hungry,
but those who seek the LORD lack no good thing.

11 Come, my children, listen to me;
I will teach you the fear of the LORD.

Psalm 2: Serve the LORD with fear, and rejoice with trembling

Psalm 19: The fear of the LORD is clean, enduring for ever

I rest my case.
Old 07-19-2009, 05:47 PM #12
St.Geezy

I guess how you're putting this down.. there really isn't an answer. Just how you feel. As for me, I don't fear God.

Old 07-19-2009, 05:58 PM #13
ISmokeIce
Postmodern Sophist

Quote:
What I meant are there are multiple examples in psalms where it is said people must fear and love God.
Psalm 111: The fear of the LORD is the beginning of wisdom: a good understanding have all they that do his commandments: his praise endureth for ever.

Psalm 34: 9 Fear the LORD, you his saints,
for those who fear him lack nothing.

10 The lions may grow weak and hungry,
but those who seek the LORD lack no good thing.

11 Come, my children, listen to me;
I will teach you the fear of the LORD.

Psalm 2: Serve the LORD with fear, and rejoice with trembling

Psalm 19: The fear of the LORD is clean, enduring for ever

I rest my case.
What do you mean by fear? If you mean being anxious about disobeying God, then to teach to fear God means to teach to obey His laws. Being worried about breaking His laws.

Kierkegaard has a book (Fear and Trembling) about this subject.
Old 07-20-2009, 12:10 AM #14
Aaron5604
Nothing is what it seems

Quote:
So I ask, is it possible to truthfully love and fear something at the same time?
Substitute the word, "fear" for honor (or respect) and it will make more sense. In which case, yes, you can then fear and love simultaneously.

Physical evidence, as an example:

Traditionally, when a child displays this view daily w/ his/her parents growing up, or, a wife to her husband.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISmokeIce View Post

Actually, the word: Wrath I think is a better word to use

JL Audio - 1000/1 Amp + 3 10W3V3 Subs (Enclosed) + Focal Access 130A1 Comps. for sale. PM me for details.
Aaron5604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 12:17 AM #15
warbeak2099
That is my foot!

has been a member for 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron5604 View Post

Actually, the word: Wrath I think is a better word to use
Genocide is my personal favorite.
#12 Italian Baller
“The real test of a man is not how well he plays the role he has invented for himself, but how well he plays the role that destiny assigned to him.”
-Václav Havel
warbeak2099 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 12:22 AM #16
Laureate
strength beyond strength

Quote:
Originally Posted by warbeak2099 View Post
Genocide is my personal favorite.
Oh my god he is back!
Old 07-20-2009, 11:19 AM #17
cuttlefish32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron5604 View Post
Substitute the word, "fear" for honor (or respect) and it will make more sense. In which case, yes, you can then fear and love simultaneously.
That's the problem, it doesn't say honor. In Bibilical times, did honor and fear mean the same thing? It would even make more since if fear was replaced with admiration or respect, but fear implies that people are scared of God.

Last edited by cuttlefish32 : 07-20-2009 at 07:47 PM.
cuttlefish32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 11:28 AM #18
fainerbainer
CK

fainerbainer has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
fainerbainer has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
fainerbainer has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Hebrew word for fear used in OT: Yare' (and other derivatives).

Definitions and understanding to the Hebrews:
1. to fear, revere, be afraid
1. (Qal)
1. to fear, be afraid
2. to stand in awe of, be awed
3. to fear, reverence, honour, respect
2. (Niphal)
1. to be fearful, be dreadful, be feared
2. to cause astonishment and awe, be held in awe
3. to inspire reverence or godly fear or awe
3. (Piel) to make afraid, terrify
2. to shoot, pour

This Hebrew word was translated in many different ways in context of that around it. Here's two different translations:

KJV (314) - afraid, 78; dreadful, 5; fear, 188; fearful, 2; misc, 8; reverence, 3; terrible, 23; terrible acts, 1; terrible thing, 6;

NAS (385) - afraid, 100; archers shot, 1; awesome, 21; awesome acts, 1; awesome things, 4; became afraid, 1; became...frightened, 2; become frightened, 1; cautious, 1; dismayed, 1; fear, 165; fear and awesome, 1; feared, 36; fearful, 1; fearful thing, 1; fearfully, 1; fearing, 5; fears, 9; frighten, 4; frightened, 1; have...fear, 1; made me afraid, 1; revere, 10; revered, 3; reverence, 3; shooting, 1; showed reverence, 1; stand in awe, 1; terrible, 3; terrible things, 1; terrifying, 2; watered, 1;
fainerbainer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 11:45 AM #19
warbeak2099
That is my foot!

has been a member for 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laureate View Post
Oh my god he is back!
Yea summer training was a little shorter than I thought. We were in port the entire time except for one day, the day I got to "con" (drive) the ship lol. We also almost shot a whale with the 25mm's that day while I had the con hahaha.
#12 Italian Baller
“The real test of a man is not how well he plays the role he has invented for himself, but how well he plays the role that destiny assigned to him.”
-Václav Havel
warbeak2099 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 10:50 PM #20
Aaron5604
Nothing is what it seems

Quote:
That's the problem, it doesn't say honor. In Bibilical times, did honor and fear mean the same thing? It would even make more since if fear was replaced with admiration or respect, but fear implies that people are scared of God.
You've gotta read the context that in fact surrounds the word, "fear" in order to interpret the overall meaning. It's basically within the same guidelines (or principle) of the word, "judge" mentioned numerous times throughout scripture as well.

*edit*

In the end though, I think it all amounts to the same definition, as being a -- "God fearing man" for example. Meaning, you're still afraid of Him to that literal extent, but the word also has the tendency to gobble up other words for the purpose of expansion. To add color, so to speak, you might say...

JL Audio - 1000/1 Amp + 3 10W3V3 Subs (Enclosed) + Focal Access 130A1 Comps. for sale. PM me for details.

Last edited by Aaron5604 : 07-21-2009 at 03:21 PM.
Aaron5604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 11:41 PM #21
mugendai
Blame it on the boogie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Z3R0- View Post
Yes, you can love and fear something at the same time... just because you're emotionally attached to your girlfriend doesn't mean you aren't afraid of the consequences if you call her a **** in front of all your buddies.

I believe that sort of logic is the same one meant to apply for the humanity-divine relationship. I'm not absolutely sure though, being an atheist... when I still held some belief in religion (Catholicism), I wasn't too sure what to make of that love-fear relationship ideal with God, and by some odd twist I've only come to understand, or think I understand, after I've stopped believing. And there are many other things about religion that I only understand now that I've detached myself from it.

I guess it really does help to take a big step back and look at the whole wall after trying to center a picture frame.
I don't know you or your religious history, but the understanding you gained probably isn't because you've separated yourself from it (though it may have been). Its probably because you're older.

I remember when I was 8 years old I thought I knew everything there was to know, I thought I understood the world etc. when I was 10 I had learned more (and recognized that) but same deal, thought I knew everything. It wasn't until I was 16, I remember it was on my birthday when I realized that I will never know everything and this gain of knowledge that just creeps up on you is just through age and experience.

I hope that makes perfect sense.