Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 07-14-2009, 06:47 PM #1
slateman

slateman is a Supporting Member
slateman is a founding member
 has been a member for 10 years
How "biblical" is "The Shack?"

So I just finished this book and, for what its worth, I liked it. A lot more than I thought I would.

But it has brought about some questions for me.

Exactly how "biblical" is this? All my life, I've met two kinds of Christians. Bible thumbers like my parents who said such and such was wrong and shouted baby killer at the democrats

And then I found a select few who seemed to have this relationship with God that the book describes. These are the few that have always made me at least willing to listen.
Advertisement
Old 07-14-2009, 07:06 PM #2
markcheb
surrender...don't move

First I haven't read it, it's been sitting on the counter in the "to read" pile. I'm only posting because the person that recommended it to me and allowed me to borrow his copy is a retired military and prison Chaplin who is as you put it a "bible thumping christian". - Very active and involved Christian who has a Heart for Christ and has been serving Him by serving both "Heroes and Zeroes" his whole adult life. I'm fairly certain that if there would have been major theological issues with the book he would not have recommended it.

I'm actually looking forward to reading it, and am glad to hear you enjoyed it despite reservations.
ChristKrew #185
Anointing foreheads with the paintball for a while now.
Where's God? - Read Luke 15:11-32
markcheb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 07:10 PM #3
Flying_Dutchman

I read it. I enjoyed it. It's still all a load of ****.
Flying_Dutchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 08:13 PM #4
I hate tv's jon dore
TV's Jon Dore is horrible

my dad read it ( he is NOT a bible humper ) and cant stop talking about how great it was.

I have not read it.
founding member of crappy pump team for jerks
TEAM MONKEY KNIFE FIGHT
I hate tv's jon dore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 08:26 PM #5
RamboPreacher
Player not a Pro.

RamboPreacher is a founding member
 has been a member for 10 years
to the OP: how "biblical" - well, it is a work of fiction. so how "biblical" is The Lord of the Rings Trilogy, or How biblical is The Lion, Witch and the Wardrobe?

if you are in reference to the representation of the Tri-unity, Godhead; well that's a different matter. it depends on your point of view in reading something like that as analogy, or more representative.

On one hand a fictitious analogy in understanding God, it is interesting in the way that he writes how God chooses to present "himself" to the main character. the individuals all have some connotation of who God is. and it might help someone that can't otherwise comprehend the Trinity to have a different outlook at God and His relationship to the individual. (not to mention the kewl view of addressing the problem of pain)

On the other hand, if you try to make it more representative, there are many theological problems (from a Christian POV). the individuals representing God are seen as completely separate, and only one in "unity". this is a modalistic approach and perpetuates the myth of the Christian serving 3 (4) gods that the Muslim and that Judaism proclaims of us. (the book goes so far as to embody wisdom as well)

there are a lot of underpinnings and things to think about, but the Christian reading the book should be aware that it is fiction and that it is a simple analogy (falling short, of course) or at "worst" a view that tries to be representative. there is much that is universalism in nature, even some Buddhism, and other "eastern" influences (apparently) to be aware of. Some very Conservative Christian book stores won't sell it.

I thought it was a good read, and even better the second time around.
Member of: † Christ † Krew † #82

"I believe, in order to understand" or "I understand in order to believe": Augustine/Anselm (paraphrase)
"Science, and especially physics is not about 'truths' - It's about forming beliefs that are less false"; Dr. S. James Gates, Jr.
RamboPreacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 07:35 PM #6
270KIDZ
My Boat, My Rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamboPreacher View Post
to the OP: how "biblical" - well, it is a work of fiction. so how "biblical" is The Lord of the Rings Trilogy, or How biblical is The Lion, Witch and the Wardrobe?

if you are in reference to the representation of the Tri-unity, Godhead; well that's a different matter. it depends on your point of view in reading something like that as analogy, or more representative.

On one hand a fictitious analogy in understanding God, it is interesting in the way that he writes how God chooses to present "himself" to the main character. the individuals all have some connotation of who God is. and it might help someone that can't otherwise comprehend the Trinity to have a different outlook at God and His relationship to the individual. (not to mention the kewl view of addressing the problem of pain)

On the other hand, if you try to make it more representative, there are many theological problems (from a Christian POV). the individuals representing God are seen as completely separate, and only one in "unity". this is a modalistic approach and perpetuates the myth of the Christian serving 3 (4) gods that the Muslim and that Judaism proclaims of us. (the book goes so far as to embody wisdom as well)

there are a lot of underpinnings and things to think about, but the Christian reading the book should be aware that it is fiction and that it is a simple analogy (falling short, of course) or at "worst" a view that tries to be representative. there is much that is universalism in nature, even some Buddhism, and other "eastern" influences (apparently) to be aware of. Some very Conservative Christian book stores won't sell it.

I thought it was a good read, and even better the second time around.
Are you saying that the author wrote it as fiction or that you dont believe the author when he says that it is real?

and i would strongly disagree with the part i bolded. If they were completely seperate how did one part of the trinity know about the conversations of another part?

"Originally posted by Nips80: You are the best poster ever! I wish I could be like you!"
"Originally posted by Ninja Mouse: Please teach me how to be as awesome as you!"
"Originally posted by Treghc: You are my hero and my idol. If you were gay like me, I would totally make love to you."
"Originally posted by Umami: Please let me have your babies. I want my children to have at least one parent that isn't retarded."
270KIDZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 10:21 PM #7
TheSilentAssassin
Words and Stuff

I would say that the shack is a great book that presents several views that are counter to the "norm". I do like a couple of the views in this book and I feel that my beliefs were challenged in a good way in this book. But I am not sure if I really believe that this book is true or not. I wasn't there and I will never know. But thats irrelevant. All I can do is take this author's conclusions on his experience and see how they fit into my life.

Overall a good read and a good topic starter. Just not sure if its fiction or not.
Old 07-31-2009, 11:27 PM #8
desertgal

I thought the book was great. I loved how the author portrayed the trinity. It was very intriguing to me the different personalities of the father/son/holy spirit. Overall, it was biblical to me as an analogy. I would consider myself the middle-of-the-road christian. Not a bible thumper-- but a bible believer/follower. Fact or fiction-- either way an enjoyable book.
desertgal is offline   Reply With Quote