PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 07-25-2015, 06:38 AM #1
dr.strangelove
The Angel Eye Doctor

has been a member for 10 years
Tutorial: Tenergy Charger Angel Mod

It is possible to use the Tenergy Smart Universal Charger for 2.4V - 7.2V NiMH/NiCD Battery Packs (model # 01006) to charge all Angel models from the LCD through G7 Fly. However, the charger does not come with the appropriate plug for the Angel circuit boards. This photo tutorial will detail the process of adding the appropriate size H (3.4mm OD x 1.3mm ID) coaxial DC power plug to the charger to enable us to charge our Angels.

You will need:

- Tenergy Smart Universal Charger for 2.4V - 7.2V NiMH/NiCD Battery Packs (model # 01006)
- Size H (3.4mm OD x 1.3mm ID) coaxial DC power plug
- Wire cutters and strippers (or scissors)
- Soldering iron

An overview of our supplies:

Our charger:

Our DC power plug:

The Tenergy charger uses a standard 2-pin male Molex connector and comes with 2 attachments: a Molex extension and alligator clips. We will replace the plug on the Molex extension with our size H coaxial DC power plug to enable us to charge our Angels:

First, we will clip off the male end of the Molex extension:

Next we will strip the ends of the wires we just cut. Then we will slip the screw-on cover of our DC power plug over the wires (take care not to forget this step, as removing the wires once they are soldered is a hassle). And finally, we will begin mating the wires to our connector by passing the bare wire leads through the loops of the soldering points. IMPORTANT: The red wire is positive (+), the black/red wire is ground (-). Positive (+) goes to the outside pin of the DC power plug, ground (-) goes to the inside pin. If you reverse the polarity, you can damage your circuit board and battery.

And apply solder:

We will do the same with the 2nd pin (doing a cleaner job than I did, with any luck):

We will screw the cover back onto our DC power plug. Now we have a 2 pin Molex extension with our size H coaxial DC power plug attached. We can go ahead and plug the extension in to the charger (note that the extension will only fit one way, so it is idiot proof):

Now, we simply plug the charger into a wall outlet, and connect our new extension to the gun to begin charging:

And we're done. Easy peasy.
dr.strangelove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 07-25-2015, 11:23 AM #2
jaydiem

jaydiem supports Team VICIOUS
jaydiem has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
jaydiem is attending Decay of Nations VI
jaydiem supports DLX Technology
Nice! How much did all of this run you?
jaydiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 11:37 AM #3
dr.strangelove
The Angel Eye Doctor

As of right now, the charger with shipping is running about $20 ($17.49 + shipping). A 2 pack of coaxial DC plugs is about $4. I already had soldering supplies (as you might imagine ), but you can do this type of work with any cheap, single-wattage soldering iron. You can pick up a cheap one for as little as $10 depending on where you buy. A spool of solder is another $4 or $5. So the cost to me was around $24. If you don't have access to soldering supplies, I'd count on spending another $15-$20.
Old 07-25-2015, 12:15 PM #4
trancer23
Angel Collector

Annual Supporting Member
trancer23 is playing at Living Legends Dreaded
trancer23 is Legendary
hey Doc,
can a battery be charged directly if you created a female 1.5 3pin jst connector instead of going through the board?

35 angels and counting......
Blue Black Impact Angel LCD, Doodoo Brown Dark Angel LCD, Dark IR3 & Ripper angel
94 Tippmann Pro-lite (old reliable)
Old Feedback - New Feedback
trancer23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 12:28 PM #5
dr.strangelove
The Angel Eye Doctor

Sure. The charger automagically detects the battery voltage and has cut off circuitry and trickle features, so you can bypass the board if you want to. The only minor issue there would be that the charger wires are quite large for the 3-pin female JST connector pins. You'd just want to make sure you get a secure solder connection and then use heat shrink tubing to shield them. The wires will bulge out a little bit compared to the connector, but as long as you get a solid connection it would just be a cosmetic issue.
Old 07-25-2015, 12:53 PM #6
trancer23
Angel Collector

Annual Supporting Member
trancer23 is Legendary
This is great news, as

1. I have always been suspicious that the burned out temp sensors was occuring/damaged during charging, and would prefer to charge batteries without the board
2. My arduino led boards will use stock batteries, so i needed a way to charge them.

Blue Black Impact Angel LCD, Doodoo Brown Dark Angel LCD, Dark IR3 & Ripper angel
Old 07-25-2015, 01:05 PM #7
dr.strangelove
The Angel Eye Doctor

Well bear in mind too that the stock LED battery uses a larger 2-pin Molex connector. The extension that comes with the Tenergy charges might actually work out of the box for the LED series.
Old 07-25-2015, 03:18 PM #8
yuik
Mr Diet Coke on the Rocks

Annual Supporting Member
yuik is playing at Living Legends V
yuik is playing at Living Legends VI
yuik is an NCPA player
yuik plays in the APPA D5 division
yuik is one of the top 250 posters on PbNation
yuik is Legendary
Wonderful post

Huge gearbag sale. Everything you can imagine including bob saget!

RED JMJ Smooth Mill viking RobTown Valve Ultralight Frame!
yuik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 06:17 PM #9
Trevor

Excellent write-up. Good to see people people giving back to the Angel community.

I had to solder the same "size h coax" onto a busted a4 battery charger. It is pretty easy as strange states.
Trevor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 11:46 PM #10
Carapace
+KA-B00M+

Carapace is a Supporting Member
Sick... I'll probably do this and sell off the rest of my oem angel chargers as I have quite a few... *4+*
Carapace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 10:09 PM #11
TheSentry

Will the 7.2v-12v Charger work as well?
TheSentry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 10:24 PM #12
dr.strangelove
The Angel Eye Doctor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSentry View Post
Will the 7.2v-12v Charger work as well?
Technically it will charge the gun, but the cutoff circuitry is mismatched to the battery, so you would run a higher risk of causing damage to the battery in the event that the board circuitry doesn't cut off charging. You would be much better off using the 2.4-7.2v model.
Old 01-31-2016, 10:33 PM #13
TheSentry

What is the voltage of the LED batteries.. I also found another charger that is 6v-12v... sorry I'm trying to get the most use out of my Amazon Prime account as possible
TheSentry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 10:43 PM #14
dr.strangelove
The Angel Eye Doctor

The LED, LCD and IR3 use a 6 volt battery. The 03/04 Speed, A4, A4 Fly, G7 and G7 Fly use a 4.8 volt battery. The LED also uses a different battery connector than the LCD and newer models, so if you're going to be using the charger on a LED you would need a different connector than the size H coaxial plug. I don't know the part number for the LED connector off hand, but I believe it is a larger Molex connector, similar to the Molex connector included with the charger.
Old 02-01-2016, 12:15 PM #15
trancer23
Angel Collector

Annual Supporting Member
trancer23 is Legendary
The led charger connector is the same as the intellifeed connector.

Old 02-01-2016, 03:34 PM #16
dr.strangelove
The Angel Eye Doctor

Right right. I was thinking of if you bypassed the charging port and used the wire pigtail attached to the battery itself, although that's not really any easier.
Old 02-01-2016, 03:36 PM #17
trancer23
Angel Collector

Annual Supporting Member
trancer23 is Legendary
yeah, and i have seen leds with all sorts of battery connectors as they have been replaced over the years, from big red jst, to clear molex, down to tiny 1.25mm jst

Old 02-01-2016, 03:49 PM #18
dr.strangelove
The Angel Eye Doctor

Hey, as long as it works