PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 12-23-2016, 08:02 PM #1
angelguy222

has been a member for 10 years
JDAM board and eye

Anyone have a complete angel with a JDAM board and eye(s)? I've tried PMing, email, and posting but haven't heard back in a weekish. Anyone have insight?
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 12-24-2016, 06:36 PM #2
chrismx22

He quit making them.
chrismx22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 06:43 PM #3
angelguy222

Well that sucks. Looked like an awesome board and the hidden eye was a great idea.

Is the predator route my only option for adding eyes now?
Old 12-25-2016, 10:51 PM #4
dr.strangelove
The Angel Eye Doctor

TAG is the only shop offering a commercial service, but if you like the internal eye idea you could always take a crack at it yourself or track down a machinist to do it for you. All that is required to do the basic job is a drill press with an adjustable angle vice or jig to mount the body and drill the hole at an angle into the battery tube.The upcoming Enoch board will support a reflective eye, or you could use the Universal T Board.
dr.strangelove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2016, 10:56 PM #5
angelguy222

While I'm a fairly handy guy and have a decent amount of tools at my disposal, I don't think I'm willing to risk ruining a body. I don't have any problem with the predator stuff, I just thought the JDAM stuff looked way nicer. Plus having an lcd screen would've been cool. Oh well, I guess I'll just get on board with everyone else.

Hoping to build an old school shooter. Either an lcd or ir3 with eyes and a single finger frame. Throw a Revy on it and go back in time!

Edit: I know it's a huge waste of money and I'll never get it back if I sell. That doesn't bother me.

Last edited by angelguy222 : 12-25-2016 at 11:00 PM.
angelguy222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2016, 11:21 PM #6
dr.strangelove
The Angel Eye Doctor

The Enoch board features an OLED display screen, so if you're not in a huge rush you could wait for that and still retain the features you're looking for.

Part of the reason Dave quit making the JDAM board is because there was parallel development being undertaken on what's now being called the Enoch board using a similar microcontroller and open-source software (a lot of which actually long predated Dave's work), and he became enraged and went on a public tirade accusing the Enoch developers of stealing his idea. So, long story short, with the Enoch board you'd be getting pretty similar hardware. The microcontroller being used for the Enoch is actually a bit more robust, and the code base is open source with a history originating nearly 10 years ago.

If you plan on using a Revvy and single trigger frame for that old-school feel, you honestly probably don't even need to add eyes to the gun. Capping the MROF to the speed of the loader should result in very minimal chopping.
Old 12-25-2016, 11:54 PM #7
angelguy222

I guess I'm not in any real rush. I'd like to have it by spring. Does anyone know if TAG will just put eyes in a gun? I'd assume the Enoch board and whatever eyes TAG uses will be compatible?

Last edited by angelguy222 : 12-26-2016 at 12:11 AM.
angelguy222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2016, 11:59 PM #8
dr.strangelove
The Angel Eye Doctor

You'd have to contact TAG to find out for sure, but I believe in the past they have been willing to do just the eye drilling/milling without the electronics upgrade. They drill for 3mm standard 3-pin DM4/5/C style eyes, which are supported by the Enoch board (as well as WDP-standard 1.8mm ribbon eyes).
Old 12-30-2016, 11:09 PM #9
angelguy222

Just incase anyone was interested, TAG will not mill a gun for eyes only. Full predator upgrade or nothing.
Old 12-30-2016, 11:55 PM #10
dr.strangelove
The Angel Eye Doctor

That's a bummer. I don't know of anyone else offering a commercial service, but the measurements used for the TAG-style mod can be found in the Manual/Tech Reference thread (direct link here). Just about any machinist should be able to do it for you based on that. If you have a local technical college/community college that offers machine classes, sometimes the students will do small projects like that just for the experience.