PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 01-03-2017, 11:34 PM #1
angelguy222

has been a member for 10 years
How difficult is this to achieve?

How difficult would this be to achieve with an A4 FLY?

I love everything about that angel except that it doesn't have eyes. I figured a4s and a4 flys are essentially the same thing...but the fly has they eyes I'd like to utilize. What's it going to take to make that a reality? I hear the eye covers make fitting an old frame an issue.
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 01-04-2017, 12:07 AM #2
dr.strangelove
The Angel Eye Doctor

The rubber eye strap used on the A4 Fly and 05 Speed has a little bump that protrudes into the grip frame and sits where the old COPS/Sensi sensor used to go. You can use a razor blade to slice that bump off cleanly, leaving only the part of the strap that fits into the recessed cut in the body, and then any frame you use will mount up cleanly. The G7 series eye strap doesn't have the bump or the recess in the grip frame for the COPS/Sensi sensor, so you can use a G7 series eye strap without having to cut anything.

Other than that it would just be an issue of mounting the board. If you're using a IR3 or newer board you would need to file down a little bit at the top of the grip frame then drill and tap a hole for the top board screw. If you're using an aftermarket board that is LCD compatible then you can use the frame without modification for the board.
dr.strangelove is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 12:14 AM #3
angelguy222

So an a4 fly, a set of g7 eye covers, a frame drilled to fit the mounting holes on the body, and a suitable board is all I'd need? Seems easy enough.

I've been away from angels for quite some time, what boards work in which guns? How difficult is it to find g7 eye covers? What about single trigger frames?
Old 01-04-2017, 12:52 AM #4
dr.strangelove
The Angel Eye Doctor

KAPP and Dye made single trigger frames for the LCD series. Cobra, IIRC, did a 90 degree single trigger frame for the IR3. Nobody is making them currently, but if you keep an eye out for used ones I'm sure you'll be able to hunt something down.

For the eye covers, I'd recommend contacting Brad/East Coast Angel. If you can't track down a G7 cover, it really is no big deal to just cut the rubber hump off of an A4 Fly-05 Speed cover. A standard utility razor blade goes right through it. If there's any ragged edges left you can use a nail file to get rid of them.

The hole spacing for the A4 Fly grip frame is actually the same as the LCD, IR3 and Speed, so any frame should match up for mounting to the body. The mounting holes for the circuit board inside the frame are where things get a little tricky.

The IR3 and newer boards (with the exception of the 05 and 06 Speed) use the same form factor, so the LCD frame modification is pretty much the same regardless of which one you choose to install. Most aftermarket boards that were produced specifically for Angels have a break-off tab at the top so that they can be mounted properly in either a LCD grip frame, or a IR3 and newer grip frame. If you decided to use the PMR/PM7 board, different mounting kits are made for each generation.

In a standard LCD frame, in order to mount an IR3 or newer form factor board you need to cut out some material from the inside of the grip frame (there's sort of a crossbeam, for lack of a better word, the extends from behind the trigger to the back of the frame; the plastic casing of the IR3+ boards bumps into it). You can use a rotary tool or small hack saw blade to do the major cutting, then clean it up with a file. From there, you need to file down the inside surface of the "crossbeam" so that it is flat - one side is taller than the other. From there, place the board in the frame, secure the bottom screw, then line up the top of the board on the crossbeam and use the top screw hole as a guide. Drill with a 2.5mm bit, tap with a M3 tap.

Again, that's only if you need to use an IR3+ form factor board. If you use a PMR/PM7 board, a Predator board, an old Virtue board, or hold out for the upcoming Enoch board, they can all be mounted in an LCD grip frame without modification.
Old 01-04-2017, 01:18 AM #5
angelguy222

Good to know that frames pop up from time to time. I talked to the guy who built the angel in the original post and he said he needed to drill a new hole inside the trigger guard to mount the frame. You can sort of see it in the photos.

I'm completely fine with trimming the existing eye cover. Thanks for that little hack.

For the time being, I'd just like to get the gun running. The Enoch boards look awesome. Definitely interested. Is there a projected release date?
Old 01-04-2017, 01:27 AM #6
dr.strangelove
The Angel Eye Doctor

Might be an eccentricity with that particular frame, but the hole spacing on them should be the same. If anything, you can use a round file to make the existing holes in the frame oblong if they don't mount up exactly.

On the Enoch, there's no set release date yet, but we're all on pins and needles They're doing extensive testing of the code and hardware, so it's taken a little longer than anticipated.
Old 01-04-2017, 04:47 PM #7
EastCoastAngel
Angel tune up and service

EastCoastAngel is playing at Living Legends IX
EastCoastAngel supports Ninja Paintball
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=3&theater

If you cant see that pic text 978/530/6747

I put that single on my personal a4 fly , bolts up without modding the frame:

shave the valve pin flush with a bevel and you can take it out with a magnet if you ever need to remove it.
Exacto knife will shave the eye strap flush with the body also and still allow it to do its job properly

The vernier wheels lose their adjustment capabilities but the trigger has set screws in it from the factory to limit travel

I used a virtue pmr7 board and mounts from pedro (on ebay)

I Love having the adjustable modes from a virtue, being older and slower it has ramping to.....and day single trigger gets everyone all asking questions...so its added cool.

For all your angel repair needs

978-530-6747

Last edited by EastCoastAngel : 01-04-2017 at 04:53 PM.
EastCoastAngel is offline   Reply With Quote