Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 07-02-2015, 01:25 PM #1
IXCowboy

Ram Rebuilding

So at this point I've read and watched videos on the Ram rebuilding and I'm convinced I have the machining ability to perform the job. I still haven't found an answer to what drill bit size to use for drilling out the back of the ram. Any thoughts?

Last edited by IXCowboy : 07-02-2015 at 01:50 PM.
IXCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 07-02-2015, 05:38 PM #2
dr.strangelove
The Angel Eye Doctor

has been a member for 10 years
Everybody seems to make a big secret out of it and I can't remember the size from the old AOG thread, but if you buy a full standard or metric set of drill bits, look at the ram shaft, guesstimate the size, pick 1 size lower than your guesstimate, then go up one size at a time until it comes out, you should be just fine.
dr.strangelove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 06:13 PM #3
DocsMachine
Yeah, I can make that.

Don't drill, bore.

Drill to somewhat under the ram shaft size, then very carefully bore- with a single point tool- until the ram just slips out.

Doc.
(Confusing the hell out of nonplayers every Monday, Wednesday and Friday since 2002.)
NEW, too! The Definitive Guide to Paintball in the Movies!
DocsMachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 08:00 PM #4
PsychoMag
R.I.P. Bobby G!

is this all that is involved in the process? drilling down the catch pin until the ram is free then I assume thread a grub screw in to replace the missing catch pin? I am sure it is more technically precise than that.

JT Impulse
Max Lundqvist's Joy A1
Love/Hate Rage A1 Fly
Demonic Autococker No.4
PsychoMag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 08:05 PM #5
dr.strangelove
The Angel Eye Doctor

You don't have to drill out the pin, it can be removed (although you could thread it for a grub screw to secure it if you want to; some people like to also use grub screws to hold the rear shim in place). Then with the ram knob removed, you need to open up the rear of the ram body sufficiently for the ram shaft to fit through, then fashion a shim to take up that space. You can find instructions for the mod in the following threads:

http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.php?t=3988619

http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.php?t=3989778

Doc also documented his process in photos here:

http://www.docsmachine.com/projects/angel/red13.html

Last edited by dr.strangelove : 07-02-2015 at 08:14 PM.
dr.strangelove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 12:50 AM #6
rkj1974

I build mine like doc. Slightly different tooling but the rebuild is the same. I don't advise doing it yourself unless you have a lathe or a mill. The hole should really be of higher quality than a hand drill or drill press can give. I fit my sleeves within .001-.002" clearance max. It keeps everything solid and working correctly. You just can't do that without some heavy equipment. I have multiple failed DIY rams in a box that I use for spare parts. Nearly every one that I've come across has not been worth using, selling, or repairing.

That warning aside, if you do have the proper equipment send me a PM. I can walk you through it in more detail. I've done lots of rams.

Last edited by rkj1974 : 07-03-2015 at 12:52 AM.
rkj1974 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 08:28 AM #7
Shocker_Monkey
KCCO

Annual Supporting Member
Shocker_Monkey is a Supporting Member
Shocker_Monkey is playing at Living Legends VII
Shocker_Monkey plays in the APPA D5 division
Shocker_Monkey is Legendary
Shocker_Monkey is Boss
I did mine manually. I don't remember what size drill bit I used, I'd have to look on my work bench. But even with that bit there was still a lot of manual filing/sanding to get it working. In the end it was ugly but functional. I put a couple cases through it before I ended up selling the gun. I don't know how well it has held out since then.

Unless you have a mill/lathe/etc I would recommend just letting someone else do the work for you. While yes, it certainly is possible to do manually it is a lot of work and easy to completely mess up your ram.

==========================================
WISCONSIN NAVARONE
==========================================
Shocker_Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote