DaEagleEye8
Uconn Husky

DaEagleEye8 helped look for balloons
DaEagleEye8 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
DaEagleEye8 is an NCPA player
Changing guitar string gauge

Hey guys,

I've been playing guitar for a few months now and my original strings are beat. I have .9 lite strings on my guitar and was looking to get either .10 or .11 strings to replace them. I've been doing some research and some people say i may need to mess around with the tremolo and others to get the guitar set up properly when I change the string gauge. I bought an ibanez ijx30 package btw. Well, my question is how would I know what adjustments need to be made and if they even have to be made at all? the manual explains how to adjust the tremolo and such, but doesn't really go over when everything is right. Also, my reasoning behind getting .10 or .11 is to get a heavier sound (be able to tune down to drop D and hopefully even C...) without having the strings buzz and such. Which of the two gauges would you suggest? Thanks for any and all comments and advice!
DaEagleEye8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 07-11-2009, 12:50 PM #2
N$$balla
1k992'r

Ask in the guitar thread.

If you want drop tunings to sound better, get .12's, BTW.

Originally Posted by EmergenC911: "I have never lol'd so hard from a PbN post :tup:"
Originally Posted by jay web: "**** you i bet you drive your moms mini van you ****ing boy scout"
Originally Posted by Lou Dogg: "You're....kinda a douche bag."
N$$balla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 01:04 PM #3
komodo_117
Plague Upon Your Hissing

Be careful if you're jumping up to .12's or .11's from .9's. You may need to adjust the truss rod, to avoid ruining your entire guitar.

It'd be best to take it to a guitar tech and have them do it, if you don't know what you're doing.

*EDIT* The higher gauge you get, the little bit thicker, and richer tone you get. But you sacrifice bending, and the action becomes harder. Lighter strings are a bit of a thinner, brighter tone, and can bend easier, but you also have to bend further in order to bring a note up higher. It all depends on what you intend to play, and how you intend to play it.

I currently have .13's on mine, and I enjoy being able to bend a note waaay beyond what other thinner strings can do, and the tone is great. But it's hell on your fingers after awhile.

They rip their skin off and rape anything in sight. Basically a Shel Silverstein poem."

XBL - xStonedCrow

Last edited by komodo_117 : 07-11-2009 at 01:07 PM.
komodo_117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 01:47 PM #4
DaEagleEye8
Uconn Husky

would guitar center be able to do this if I brought it there? or would I look like an idiot doing that?
Old 07-11-2009, 02:32 PM #5
Scott7d
Oooh, Jesuth Christh!!

Annual Supporting Member
Scott7d is a Supporting Member
Scott7d is a founding member
 has been a member for 10 years
Scott7d donated to help Peyton Trent
Scott7d supports Bob Gurnsey
Scott7d supports our troops
If you bump to 10's, you probably won't have to do much other than adjust the claw screws on your trem until it is flush with the body again. These are on the back of the guitar, usually covered by a plate that you can unscrew and take off. Just do 1/4 turns at a time, and it should be easy. Like these guys said, jumping up any higher than that, and you may need the nut filed as well as other adjustments.

All in all, I think you will like the sound and feel of 10's. It's not super drastic from 9's, but a little beefier tone. I play 1/2 step down so it is easier on my vocalist, and 10's do just fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaEagleEye8 View Post
would guitar center be able to do this if I brought it there? or would I look like an idiot doing that?
They can do it, I imagine it won't be too expensive either. And you won't look dumb. It is one of, if not the most common thing that a lot of shops do.
"Originally posted by protomatrix101: Scott7d- What you said to A-5 Best will probably help me out to, so thank you for your advice."
Scott7d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 03:09 PM #6
DaEagleEye8
Uconn Husky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott7d View Post
If you bump to 10's, you probably won't have to do much other than adjust the claw screws on your trem until it is flush with the body again. These are on the back of the guitar, usually covered by a plate that you can unscrew and take off. Just do 1/4 turns at a time, and it should be easy. Like these guys said, jumping up any higher than that, and you may need the nut filed as well as other adjustments.

All in all, I think you will like the sound and feel of 10's. It's not super drastic from 9's, but a little beefier tone. I play 1/2 step down so it is easier on my vocalist, and 10's do just fine.
thanks for the input man. I think i might experiment with 10's then. So, I just tighten the claw screws until they are flush with the body? I'm clueless on how to **** around with the guitar lol. Do you have any particular things I should be aware of so I don't mess anything up?
Old 07-11-2009, 04:43 PM #7
PaintballBandito

no big deal for a small jump. adjust the spring tension of the trem because 10's will put more strain on the trem and pull it up. the truss not may need a slight bit of adjustment, but probably not.
PaintballBandito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 04:44 PM #8
Scott7d
Oooh, Jesuth Christh!!

Annual Supporting Member
Just make sure to go slow with any adjustments. Better to undershoot, than overshoot.

When turning those claw screws, just make sure the trem on top of the guitar is flush with the body. If there is any nervousness or doubts, nothing wrong with taking it to a shop. If you have a friend who has some experience doing this, that is the best way because he could show you.
"Originally posted by protomatrix101: Scott7d- What you said to A-5 Best will probably help me out to, so thank you for your advice."
Old 07-11-2009, 04:49 PM #9
PaintballBandito

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott7d View Post
Just make sure to go slow with any adjustments. Better to undershoot, than overshoot.
this.

also, if you aren't sure about how to do something, don't do it. get someone else to do it and then get them to teach you so you can do it next time
PaintballBandito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 06:42 PM #10
Scott7d
Oooh, Jesuth Christh!!

Annual Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaintballBandito View Post
this.

also, if you aren't sure about how to do something, don't do it. get someone else to do it and then get them to teach you so you can do it next time
Indeed. Once some things are done, they can't be undone. Certain guitars are VERY sensitive to truss rod adjustment.