Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 07-08-2009, 12:36 AM #1
AznAssassin

Question Public Land for Paintball

Our old paintball field was recently shut down and because of this, my friends and I are looking for a parcel of land to set up our own field. My question is this: Is it illegal to play paintball on rural public land? I sure as hell know that people can hunt and fish on some public land and I'm wondering if paintball falls under the same category. Thank you.

A marker by itself is only a tool. Pretty useless without skilled hands to wield it.
AznAssassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 07-08-2009, 03:18 AM #2
fossilhead
Don't need a helmet

has been a member for 10 years
That depends on your local laws.

I know where I live, if you're outside of city limits, or on private land with netting, or a certain "dead space" around the field you're ok.
Old 07-19-2009, 02:35 AM #3
Huffman///
Show me your genitals

I would not play on public land man, any one can use it. I've used public land to just take my dog for a walk, hunt, and fish. Since your probably not going to put up netting, it would be pretty risky and un safe. Any one could come along and get hit by stray ball.

Just sounds like a bad idea.
Huffman/// is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 08:08 AM #4
Pyrate Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by fossilhead View Post
That depends on your local laws.
Around here, paintballs on trees in a public forest constitutes vandalism.
Like shooting road signs, it's defacing public property.

Some officers will just tell you to pack it up and leave, but you run the risk of handcuffs and having your gear confiscated.
PTI #2691 ~ C1, C2, C5, C5a, C6
http://www.paintball-pti.com/
Pyrate Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 02:58 PM #5
The Inflicted
.detcilfnI ehT

I know of at least one field near Chattanooga, Tennessee that is owned by the Tennessee Wildlife Resource Agency that is used, with the agency's permission, for paintball. Horseback and ATV riders, as well as remote control airplane enthusiasts also have been granted use of the land.
The Inflicted is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 12:05 AM #6
jdahl1989

Quote:
I would not play on public land man, any one can use it. I've used public land to just take my dog for a walk, hunt, and fish. Since your probably not going to put up netting, it would be pretty risky and un safe. Any one could come along and get hit by stray ball.
So if you can sit in a blind and fire your high powered rifle/shotgun/pistol. Which by all accounts is legal and generally considered safe. Getting some buddies into a remote area (BLM land, Logging Clearings) is going to be dangerous?

Its laughable, I take up to 20 ppl out to our local BLM land to play some paintball. On the rare occasion somebody else shows up, they usually walk up to our staging area and ask about what we're doing. We've had a logging crew play with our backups on their lunch break

'00 WGP Right Feed, Roller sear, milled internals. (Worlds best backup)

A-5, stock. (Loaner)
Co-Owner of a Machine shop, ask, but we don't work for free lol.
jdahl1989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 09:48 PM #7
liquidfiretibby

Annual Supporting Member
liquidfiretibby is BST Legit
liquidfiretibby plays in the PSP
liquidfiretibby owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
liquidfiretibby posts videos on PbNation
liquidfiretibby plays in the APPA D4 division
liquidfiretibby has perfected Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
in pa im pretty sure its illegal to fire (even dry fire) a paintball gun outside of a sanctioned paintball facility....
liquidfiretibby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 07:55 PM #8
lou19604

On November 21, 2001 the governor of the Commonwealth of PA approved the following act, which should be common sense, however is a cause for some concern and could be used as a precedent for other states to do this and worse.

Pennsylvania's New Law Regarding Paintball Markers:

An act amending Title 18 (Crimes and Offesnses) of the Pennsylvania Consolidated Statutes, providing for unlawful carrying of paintball guns and markers in vehicles.

The General Assembly of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania hereby enacts as follows: Section 1, Title 18 of the Pennsylvania Consolidated Statutes is amended by adding a section to read: Section A 2707.1 and 2707.2. Paintball Guns and Paintball Markers.
(A) Unlawful carrying in a vehicle.

(1) Except as such set forth in paragraph (2), an individual may not carry a paintball gun or a paintball marker in a vehicle on a highway unless one of the following apply:

(I)The paintball gun or paintball marker is disassembled so that the propellant canister is seperated from the rest of the device and the device is empty of encapsulated gelatin paintballs.

(II)The propellant canister of the paintball gun or paintball marker has been emptied of its gas or air propellant and the device is empty of encapsulated gelatin paintballs.

(2) Paragraph (1) does not apply to a commercial paintball field, range or course where passengers are being transported by the commercial field, range or course operator to and from designated player areas.

(B) Penalty. A person who violated this section commits a summary offesnse.

(C) Definitions. As used in this section the following words and phrases shall have the meanings given to them in this subsection:
"Paintball gun." A device designed and manufactured to propel, by gas or air, an encapsulated gelatin paintball.
"Paintball marker." A device designed and manufactured to propel, by gas or ai, an encapsulated gelatin paintball.

Section 2. This act shall take effect in 60 days.
lou19604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 02:53 AM #9
joe_cash419
Joe_C

joe_cash419 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
joe_cash419 has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
July of 97 myself and 4 friends spent 21 days in jail for playing paintball in a marsh by our houses. The charge was inducing panic. This charge is Legit in all states and holds water as to the fact that a marker while not a firearm in the typical sense is a weapon when used INCORRECTLY no one knows your true intention.s of having a blast with buddies? Poof you've induced panic. Lost my Cocker my pgp and all my gear. Same for my friends. I do not suggest doing this. God.... July of 97... I must seem really old now....
joe_cash419 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 10:44 PM #10
mikepb1

If your playing on public land in PA it could be considered vandalism or littering.
mikepb1 is offline   Reply With Quote