Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 07-09-2009, 01:41 PM #22
komodo_117
Plague Upon Your Hissing

But it's a fan base comprised of people who assume that speed = talent, and don't realize that any kind of shredding is just repetitive, highly practiced scales and arpeggios, and offers little to no creativity beyond the speed in which they play it.

It's more a matter of ignorance than taste...

They rip their skin off and rape anything in sight. Basically a Shel Silverstein poem."

Steam - BabyHands
komodo_117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 07-09-2009, 08:00 PM #23
Afroninjaaaaaaaaaaaa
aaaaformer2k6aaaaaaaaa...

He's my favorite at least.
And lol at Italian American Social Club.
Old 07-09-2009, 08:11 PM #24
PB_SEAN
By popular demand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afroninjaaaaaaaaaaaa View Post

He's my favorite at least.
And lol at Italian American Social Club.
As far as shredding goes, Buckethead definitely is my favorite guitar player.
Old 07-09-2009, 08:21 PM #25
Ando, raider from mx (Banned)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott7d View Post
Not exactly. If someone plays super fast, and that is how they want to express themselves in a song, then that's that. Other's may not like it (I myself don't get into much of the shredding stuff at all unless it is done with taste) but some do. If people didn't some of these shredders wouldn't be famous because apparently there is a fan base for it.
well there's a market for crack and prostitution, js
Ando, raider from mx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 08:38 PM #26
som3 dud3
Hop stars

Are you implying that crack and hookers are bad?

If so,

D:<
som3 dud3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 08:46 PM #27

why would i pay for sex when i can have you for free
Old 07-09-2009, 08:52 PM #28
Scott7d
Oooh, Jesuth Christh!!

Annual Supporting Member
Scott7d is a Supporting Member
Scott7d is a founding member
 has been a member for 10 years
Scott7d donated to help Peyton Trent
Scott7d supports Bob Gurnsey
Scott7d supports our troops
Quote:
Originally Posted by komodo_117 View Post
But it's a fan base comprised of people who assume that speed = talent, and don't realize that any kind of shredding is just repetitive, highly practiced scales and arpeggios, and offers little to no creativity beyond the speed in which they play it.

It's more a matter of ignorance than taste...
I hate to sound redundant, but again, who are you to say that? Why can you say you don't like it, and anyone who does is ignorant? That is a very Hitlerish/elitist way to think.

If you were to name some bands or songs you like, I'm sure I could start critisizing some things I don't like about it. However, I don't think you are ignorant for listening to it. I listen to a lot of bands who scream and yell, and can understand why someone wouldn't like it. And, they do not call me ignorant.

And I'm not very sure where your music knowledge expands from, but every song ever written is part of some scale or mode. No reason to bash it if it's just played faster.

Not meaning to flame you, but calling someone or a group of people ignorant for listening to a certain kind of music that you don't get into seems a little rude.
"Originally posted by protomatrix101: Scott7d- What you said to A-5 Best will probably help me out to, so thank you for your advice."
Scott7d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 09:04 PM #29
SpyderPB819

SpyderPB819 donated to help Peyton Trent
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ando, raider from mx View Post
but honestly being the fastest guitar player is like being the sprinter that ties his shoes the fastest
You don't just "become" an extremely fast player. Those people have been playing for years... All different styles. I'm sure over time they have become quite good players.
SpyderPB819 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 09:28 PM #30
komodo_117
Plague Upon Your Hissing

Quote:
I hate to sound redundant, but again, who are you to say that? Why can you say you don't like it, and anyone who does is ignorant? That is a very Hitlerish/elitist way to think.

If you were to name some bands or songs you like, I'm sure I could start critisizing some things I don't like about it. However, I don't think you are ignorant for listening to it. I listen to a lot of bands who scream and yell, and can understand why someone wouldn't like it. And, they do not call me ignorant.

And I'm not very sure where your music knowledge expands from, but every song ever written is part of some scale or mode. No reason to bash it if it's just played faster.

Not meaning to flame you, but calling someone or a group of people ignorant for listening to a certain kind of music that you don't get into seems a little rude.
No, I'm saying that hailing the repetitive practice that shredding is as anything more than novelty is ignorant. You as well as anyone should know that shredding takes little talent, and it's just technical repetition of practice the same thing till you can play it fast.

Shredding is nothing more than dick-showing, as it's all "OMG HE CAN PLAY FASTER THAN HIM!", when really speed is of no indication as to whether they're a good guitarist or not. And it's laughable to assume that speed = talent. Talent you're born with. Skill is what is acquired, which is what speed is. Yes, they're very skilled guitarists. But are they talented, or creative beyond the limited means in which they play? Typically, no.

I'm not calling shredding ignorant. I'm calling it ignorant to create fan bases and popularity contests off the sole fact of someone playing faster than another.

They rip their skin off and rape anything in sight. Basically a Shel Silverstein poem."

Steam - BabyHands

Last edited by komodo_117 : 07-09-2009 at 09:30 PM.
Old 07-09-2009, 09:37 PM #31
GFunk
flýi̧ng͢

HERMAN RI
HERMAN RI
HERMAN RI
HERMAN RI
HERMAN RI
HERMAN RI
HERMAN RI
HERMAN RI
HERMAN RI
HERMAN RI
HERMAN RI
HERMAN RI

isn't it obvious?
except for your god.
this is all a dream; a dream in death.
GFunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 09:49 PM #32
mechanix901234
iammechanix901

Quote:
No, I'm saying that hailing the repetitive practice that shredding is as anything more than novelty is ignorant. You as well as anyone should know that shredding takes little talent, and it's just technical repetition of practice the same thing till you can play it fast.

Shredding is nothing more than dick-showing, as it's all "OMG HE CAN PLAY FASTER THAN HIM!", when really speed is of no indication as to whether they're a good guitarist or not. And it's laughable to assume that speed = talent. Talent you're born with. Skill is what is acquired, which is what speed is. Yes, they're very skilled guitarists. But are they talented, or creative beyond the limited means in which they play? Typically, no.

I'm not calling shredding ignorant. I'm calling it ignorant to create fan bases and popularity contests off the sole fact of someone playing faster than another.
hater, you know you wish you could and you know if you had a big dick youd be proud of it, just as if you had the skills to shred every once and awhile
mechanix901234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 09:58 PM #33
komodo_117
Plague Upon Your Hissing

Hell yeah I would.

But that doesn't mean I should be labeled as talented, or even better really, just because I can play faster. Nor should that by any means qualify some sort of massive popularity contest based solely upon the ability to play fast.

Steam - BabyHands
Old 07-09-2009, 10:08 PM #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpyderPB819 View Post
You don't just "become" an extremely fast player. Those people have been playing for years... All different styles. I'm sure over time they have become quite good players.
you don't just become a great shoe-tier either

and that's not to say all the great sprinters didn't probably have great shoe tying practices

translation: Yes, most, if not all, great guitar players are very capable of "playing fast" but if you were to make a list of things that make them such great guitar players, speed would be pretty far down the list

Last edited by Ando, raider from mx : 07-09-2009 at 10:30 PM.
Old 07-09-2009, 10:28 PM #35
mechanix901234
iammechanix901

i agree and disagree, that vid on the first page is ridiculous and pointless
Old 07-09-2009, 10:58 PM #36
komodo_117
Plague Upon Your Hissing

I hope you're not referring to the vid I posted. If so, that's of the year material.

Steam - BabyHands
Old 07-09-2009, 11:02 PM #37
Scott7d
Oooh, Jesuth Christh!!

Annual Supporting Member
Quote:

To be honest, I've practiced my *** off to play anything remotely fast for the last few years of my 10 year career, and cannot do it (yet anyways). I have to warm up for 30 minutes just to play 16th notes at 100BPM.

And I do not believe in talent when it only comes to the playing aspect of guitar. I believe in drive, and dedication. Some people may be able to click with things faster than others, but I believe anyone can become a good guitar player with practice and drive. I think the talent only has to do with the song writing ability.

And, if you can play fast and clean, it DOES mean you are a good guitarist, but it doesn't mean you are a good musician.

In a sense, I can agree with you. I don't get into any of the neoclassical stuff or major shredding. It is like watching someone juggle. I can respect it, and watch it for a few minutes, but it just isn't that intersting to me.
"Originally posted by protomatrix101: Scott7d- What you said to A-5 Best will probably help me out to, so thank you for your advice."
Old 07-09-2009, 11:10 PM #38

Quote:

And, if you can play fast and clean, it DOES mean you are a good guitarist, but it doesn't mean you are a good musician.
I see what you're saying, but I don't agree with this distinction. A guitar is a musical instrument, so why try to divorce guitar playing from making good music?

Guitar players are the only ones that seem to do this for some reason. You never hear anyone talk about how "fast" or "clean" coltrane was at blowing sax, and he was incredibly fast and clean, it's just understood that's not what made him arguably the best saxophonist ever.

well, drummers probably do this, too, and electric bassists, maybe, but PRIMARILY guitarists
Old 07-09-2009, 11:14 PM #39
GFunk
flýi̧ng͢

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ando, raider from mx View Post
I see what you're saying, but I don't agree with this distinction. A guitar is a musical instrument, so why try to divorce guitar playing from making good music?

Guitar players are the only ones that seem to do this for some reason. You never hear anyone talk about how "fast" or "clean" coltrane was at blowing sax, and he was incredibly fast and clean, it's just understood that's not what made him arguably the best saxophonist ever.

well, drummers probably do this, too, and electric bassists, maybe, but PRIMARILY guitarists
i agree with this statement
except for your god.
this is all a dream; a dream in death.
GFunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 11:23 PM #40
Scott7d
Oooh, Jesuth Christh!!

Annual Supporting Member
I see what you're saying. Myself for example, let's say I was super awesome but only played cover songs. There is some musicianship to that, but mainly, I am just playing guitar.

Good point though, I will have to think about that some more. You just put my **** into a whole new perspective!
Old 07-09-2009, 11:24 PM #41
krucker
Sexy Beast Rawwwr

krucker helped look for balloons
krucker owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
squisgar squigelf
Old 07-09-2009, 11:48 PM #42
mechanix901234
iammechanix901

16th notes at 100bpm? son you need to practice alot cause thats slow, in any form of music haha