PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 07-31-2009, 11:11 PM #232
Aaron5604
Nothing is what it seems

Quote:
Originally Posted by markcheb View Post
I honestly don't see how this illustrates a disbelief in God. All it suggests to me is that science does not hold all the answers, though I do agree with the acceleration of discovery the future holds many wonders.
Well, then could you please provide scientific knowledge that reflects God as being a possibility? I'm getting a little bored reading things that implicate otherwise.

Quote:
But this does get to the core of where we are. I think it is safe to say that you know that through scientific discovery we will find "things", for lack of a better word, that we haven't even begun to imagine. Now what exactly is this "knowledge" based on? Is it based on personal experience with these "mysteries"? Is it a "gut feeling"? Did you get a "warm fuzzy feeling"? It may contain elements of each but I'm sure that this "knowledge" transcends this and couldn't be reduced to all that. I accept that freely, I share the same outlook on science.
I don't understand this portion here. Are you primarily going over your thoughts on science or religion?

Quote:
Now before we get into "human's natural curiosity" and other justifications. How do you personally know? And if I wanted to hold to the model you've given me, you can't use any scientific discovery to justify your understanding of where that knowledge comes from.
I'm not sure I'm following you here either. In the end, I don't KNOW anything, the same as you.

Quote:
That leaves me with faith. When we apply this to theist atheist understanding, it is the difference. The theist possess it the atheist doesn't, that much is obvious. Allowing for that same "knowledge" for the theist, please explain the lack of knowledge for the atheist. If the "knowledge" was human nature, then it would actually be present and we would need to call the atheist a liar. I'm not prepared to do that, though I realize I called atheism dishonest, but is he flat out lying? No I don't believe so. If it was environmental, then please explain the little boy scenario I gave earlier. The atheist' faith as you describe it is actually non-faith then. So where does this non-faith faith derive from? From himself.

It would be so much easier for me personally to accept that he is lying or been misinformed but I can't. Ruling out both the personal moral Psyche (I hope that's an accurate word for it) and environmental influence, where does this leave me? Theology. I understand you are not going to agree, but the scientific model can't be used to explain this phenomena, at least at this point in time. Will it ever? Based on what "knowledge"?
There is no gray, none at all. You either HAVE "faith" or you don't, it's that simple. Now, the difference is NOT the true definition of, "faith" but the mere content in which either party may be using, or not using when grasping onto any unprovable theory. God, is obviously unprovable (a theory); no god is just as unprovable (a theory.) A theist can say that he/she believes in God, just as an Atheist can deny. What both are then left with is evidence in which may imply the possibility, or impossibility depending on which side you have chosen. Now, where "faith" comes into play is being able to in fact HOLD ON to whichever theory w/out having a FULL explanation, or understanding. Heck, you can even have no implicating evidence and yet still have faith, but that would be completely illogical since in order to really establish that faith to begin with, you have to FIRST determine whether that origin (or lack of?) is even possible. Otherwise, people will likely just think you're delusional. They'll probably then ask if you believe in (for example) cookie monsters as well, just to put it all in better perspective.

Quote:
I agree with Laureates statement the religious decisions can be emotionally based. People are fallible, but without religious understanding that statement makes no sense, and may not represent their faith as it should be. But then who are you allowing to influence your faith, them or God? If it is from God why would you allow people to push you from it? If it is from man then why would you pursue it?
No belief in which I'm basing my opinion on is ever derived from human nature, (man) nor written text of any kind -- in essence. It's all FIRST established from what has already been around well before man even cease to exist. In other words, I look at the world I live in (the reality of life) and use my judgement to the best of my abilities. I try not to allow ANY influence (no emotion) to steer my observation; I look at what can ONLY be fact first, then form a rational opinion hoping that it all still holds true in the end.

JL Audio - 1000/1 Amp + 3 10W3V3 Subs (Enclosed) + Focal Access 130A1 Comps. for sale. PM me for details.

Last edited by Aaron5604 : 08-01-2009 at 04:10 AM.
Aaron5604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 07-31-2009, 11:28 PM #233
Crede777
Resident Agnostic

Crede777 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
You said you don't allow any influence to steer your observation of the world. So I suppose you are ignoring the things your science teachers have told you because you cannot take their words for it...
Derr: Whether or not you believe the universe is here for a reason is patently irrelevant to whether or not the universe cares.
XBL = On3ManRi0t

Breakout Photos
Crede777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 11:55 PM #234
Aaron5604
Nothing is what it seems

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crede777 View Post
You said you don't allow any influence to steer your observation of the world. So I suppose you are ignoring the things your science teachers have told you because you cannot take their words for it...
Influence = emotion, hence the "()" marks at the end of the word. And, depends on what you mean exactly by, "ignoring" things taught in class. I'll sit there and absorb it most likely, but I won't officially stand by anything (making it my bread and butter) until I apply it several times over myself. So, until I can give a sufficient explanation on something at length -- I'll usually just keep quiet by letting it be, w/ really no opinion in either direction.

JL Audio - 1000/1 Amp + 3 10W3V3 Subs (Enclosed) + Focal Access 130A1 Comps. for sale. PM me for details.
Old 08-01-2009, 12:50 AM #235
stlkilljoy
attack attack attack

stlkilljoy plays in the PSP
stlkilljoy plays in the APPA D1 division
late entrance but i would say, to answer the OPs question, to have an outcome.
if there was no test, he would not 'know the outcome', as there would not be anything to come from, since, there is no test.
he does so in order to provide you with a stimulus of growth, not for ****s and giggles

SCRUBSTATUSELITE

stlkilljoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 10:49 AM #236
warbeak2099
That is my foot!

has been a member for 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by stlkilljoy View Post
late entrance but i would say, to answer the OPs question, to have an outcome.
if there was no test, he would not 'know the outcome', as there would not be anything to come from, since, there is no test.
he does so in order to provide you with a stimulus of growth, not for ****s and giggles
Again, he could have created a system in which this was not necessary. "He tests us because it's better that way!" is a non-answer. It doesn't answer the problem that God could have created a system which was much more forgiving for his creations that he "loves" so much. The question is, "why did God make it so that we need conflict for there to be progress?" Saying, "Because you need conflict for progress!" isn't an answer.
#12 Italian Baller
“The real test of a man is not how well he plays the role he has invented for himself, but how well he plays the role that destiny assigned to him.”
-Václav Havel
warbeak2099 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 10:51 AM #237
hsilman
Disgustipated

Quote:
Originally Posted by warbeak2099 View Post
Again, he could have created a system in which this was not necessary. "He tests us because it's better that way!" is a non-answer. It doesn't answer the problem that God could have created a system which was much more forgiving for his creations that he "loves" so much. The question is, "why did God make it so that we need conflict for there to be progress?" Saying, "Because you need conflict for progress!" isn't an answer.
le meilleur des mondes possibles
hsilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 03:43 PM #238
warbeak2099
That is my foot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hsilman View Post
le meilleur des mondes possibles
Leibniz's explanation is the same thing. In responding to the question of how an omnibenevolent God could create such a conflicted world, he simply said that God is omnibenevolent, therefore the world we have must be the best possible world. What a cop out.
#12 Italian Baller
“The real test of a man is not how well he plays the role he has invented for himself, but how well he plays the role that destiny assigned to him.”
-Václav Havel
Old 08-01-2009, 03:47 PM #239
hsilman
Disgustipated

Quote:
Leibniz's explanation is the same thing. In responding to the question of how an omnibenevolent God could create such a conflicted world, he simply said that God is omnibenevolent, therefore the world we have must be the best possible world. What a cop out.
on the other side of the coin your ability to imagine the world a different way that you think would be better, doesn't make the world you imagine actually better. Holocaust or not, as a history major you must realize the "choice causes" of killing people on that scale goes back hundreds of years. Just saying "A world without the holocaust would have been better" is pretty simplistic and probably wrong. Not to mention it assigns values and other things I can talk about which are necessarily non-universal.

but without the details or my example which can be argued about forever, the point remains that just because you imagine a world which you think is better, doesn't actually disprove Leibniz's explanation.
hsilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 04:17 PM #240
warbeak2099
That is my foot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hsilman View Post
on the other side of the coin your ability to imagine the world a different way that you think would be better, doesn't make the world you imagine actually better. Holocaust or not, as a history major you must realize the "choice causes" of killing people on that scale goes back hundreds of years. Just saying "A world without the holocaust would have been better" is pretty simplistic and probably wrong. Not to mention it assigns values and other things I can talk about which are necessarily non-universal.

but without the details or my example which can be argued about forever, the point remains that just because you imagine a world which you think is better, doesn't actually disprove Leibniz's explanation.
The same goes for Leibniz's assertion though. It proves nothing. My assertion is based on the ideas put forth in the Bible. My point is that they don't jive with reality. The idea of the God of the Bible creating this world is logical enough. He is at times angry, jealous, happy, sad, disappointed, conflicted, and etc, much like our world. However, the idea that this God is perfect and just is illogical. This is the reason I believe in a God synonymous with nature. Nature is perfectly objective and amoral. There is no right or wrong in nature, nor does nature cast judgments. It merely operates according to set laws and is what it is. That's perfect, not a divine being or character who makes decisions, casts judgment, experiences emotions, etc.
#12 Italian Baller
-Václav Havel
Old 08-01-2009, 04:30 PM #241
markcheb
surrender...don't move

If nature is the divinity, and we are a part of that divinity, wouldn't that make us divine beings who do all those things? How does that fit?

Not flaming I'm honestly asking.
ChristKrew #185
Anointing foreheads with the paintball for a while now.
Where's God? - Read Luke 15:11-32
markcheb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 04:37 PM #242
Laureate
strength beyond strength

Quote:
If nature is the divinity, and we are a part of that divinity, wouldn't that make us divine beings who do all those things? How does that fit?

Not flaming I'm honestly asking.
Nature itself, as a whole. We are of nature and have no control over it, even when it looks like we do. We are a product of nature. Just as, which you believe, we are the product of God's ideas. This does not make us God though.
Old 08-01-2009, 04:37 PM #243
warbeak2099
That is my foot!

Quote:
If nature is the divinity, and we are a part of that divinity, wouldn't that make us divine beings who do all those things?
No. I can't even try to stretch or force that into being a logical conclusion.
#12 Italian Baller
-Václav Havel
Old 08-01-2009, 04:39 PM #244
Laureate
strength beyond strength

Quote:
No. I can't even try to stretch or force that into being a logical conclusion.
I tried....

I hate philosophy now. Absolutely am disgusted with it. This could also be because my anxiety is through the roof.
Old 08-01-2009, 04:51 PM #245
markcheb
surrender...don't move

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laureate View Post
Nature itself, as a whole. We are of nature and have no control over it, even when it looks like we do. We are a product of nature. Just as, which you believe, we are the product of God's ideas. This does not make us God though.
Actually I can buy that.
ChristKrew #185
Old 08-01-2009, 04:59 PM #246
Aaron5604
Nothing is what it seems

Quote:
So, are you proposing here the idea from scripture that nature from the very beginning of time -- is and has always been the one true miracle all along?

Old 08-01-2009, 05:07 PM #247
markcheb
surrender...don't move

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron5604 View Post
So, are you proposing here the idea from scripture that nature from the very beginning of time -- is and has always been the one true miracle all along?
No I think I was stumbling over the word "being" that Beak used though he italicized it. Applying the word to us, it wasn't making sense.
ChristKrew #185
Old 08-01-2009, 05:16 PM #248
warbeak2099
That is my foot!

Quote:
No I think I was stumbling over the word "being" that Beak used though he italicized it. Applying the word to us, it wasn't making sense.
I said:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Me
[Nature] is perfect, not a divine being or character who makes decisions, casts judgment, experiences emotions, etc.

Where's the confusion and where did I say that we are divine "beings"?
#12 Italian Baller
-Václav Havel
Old 08-01-2009, 05:22 PM #249
Laureate
strength beyond strength

Quote:
Where's the confusion and where did I say that we are divine "beings"?
Will the response matter?