Old 07-01-2009, 01:39 PM #1
KKoTerski
KCCO

KKoTerski plays in the PSP
KKoTerski is an NCPA player
KKoTerski plays in the APPA D3 division
KKoTerski supports DLX Technology
How to: Dive and slide

Hey guys, due to such high demand on this subject, I am going to be doing this How to on diving and sliding. Lets get started.

There are differences between diving and sliding. Diving is when you dive onto the ground superman style, belly down. Sliding is simply sliding like a baseball player would on his hip with his feet first and keeping most of his body upright. Lets take a look at the differences...

Diving:

Sliding:

Lets go over the easier of the two, sliding, and move onto the more advanced diving.

Sliding is extremely easy. It is also easy to mess up. When sliding, you always want to keep your momentum going in the direction that your running. You do not want to drop all your weight and momentum straight down on your knee, you want to barely skim and glide across the ground. So do NOT come up real high and drop straight down.

Now lets go over the slide itself and the set up and feet/leg placement. All three of these things have to be taken care of for you to have a good slide.

When coming in for a slide, you want to be running somewhat fast. I recommend running as fast as possible anywhere you go on the field but its your choice. You want to start your slide a good amount before your bunker, roughly 6ft or so. However, you dont want to hit the ground until around 3ft before your bunker, this will change depending upon playing surface conditions. First off, you want to drop your inside shoulder (the one closest to the opponent). Once you drop your shoulder down, your upper body should follow. Take a look at this picture...

Here I am sliding (on the NXL field too, haha). You want to fold your inside leg (closest to the opponent) underneath you while keeping your outside leg pointing in the direction that your sliding. You want to keep most of your weight balanced on your butt and to the rear, yet slightly towards your bunker. You want to let your inside hand (closest to the opponent) skim across the top of the surface. Keep your gun in your outside hand, away from the ground but not held high for a shot to hit it. Right around your chest area should be good, like in the picture. Your inside hand helps aid in balance and as you come to the end of your slide, you can push it harder into the ground to stop yourself. Same with your outside leg. You have that leg out so that you can plant it at the end of your slide and stop yourself. You can also use this to slide and pop up. Simply slide fast, plant your outside foot, and let your momentum carry you into the upright position. THIS WILL TAKE PRACTICE. Once you finish your slide, you want to get on your feet, or whatever stance you need to take for that particular bunker, and ready to shoot as fast as possible. I will cover sliding and shooting in the running and gunning How to.

Diving

If you have ever watched a paintball video, there is a fine line between diving right, and diving wrong. Diving wrong usually has negative consequences. So lets go over how to dive and what not to do so you dont hurt yourself.

Take a look at this picture...

Setting up for a dive is even more important than setting up for a slide. I highly recommend running low at all times. This not only helps make you a smaller target when moving, but also lets you dive much smoother. To set up for a dive, you want to drop your upper torso as low as possible and almost hunch over, refer to the first picture in the sequence. Shift your weight mostly forward. Then as you are coming down, stay on your feet for as long as possible. This makes for a much more smooth and easy dive. It puts less impact on your chest and body. You want to put your non gun hand out first, to brace your impact. It should be the first part of your body to touch the ground. Once you have touched the ground with your non gun hand, you want to immediately push off your foot thats on the same side your holding your gun. Refer to picture two in the sequence. At the same time you push off that back foot, put your gun hand on the ground. Use your non gun hand, thats already on the ground, to push yourself forward and slow your fall. Once your gun hand hits the ground, you want to push forward and lead with it. Refer to picture 3 in the sequence. You need to hold your gun level in order to not stab your barrel into the ground. Holding it with the barrel down is going to cause it to stab the ground. Likewise, holding your barrel too high in the air is going to cause your tank to hit the ground and make your tank go up, and your barrel down into the ground.

Now, not many people really look at this but this is what I call my hybrid dive. Its not sliding and its not diving. Its more of a combination. Its just like sliding except I put most of my weight forward and slide on my non gun hand and non gun hand arm. It allows me to get low, as a dive would, but allows me to get up on my feet much quicker than a dive would. Take a look at these hybrid dives...

Now that you know how to dive and slide, go out and practice. This does not have to be done at a field, but anywhere there is grass or a flat surface to practice on with adequate running room. I HIGHLY HIGHLY recommend both knee and elbow pads. Even if you have padding in your pants and/or jersey, you still need knee and elbow pads. They are not cheap but money well spent to save you injury.

Some things to keep in mind when sliding and diving. Staying low is key. Thats one of the main purposes of sliding and diving, to make yourself a smaller target for the other guy shooting at you. Another thing to keep in mind is your bodies balance while setting up for, and sliding/diving. Keep your momentum going in the same direction your running, not downward.

Hope this helps and if you guys have any questions or comments, all are welcome. Another thing, BE CAREFUL. 99% of all paintball injuries come from people diving and sliding. Even people who know how to do this very well mess up and hurt themselves. So take caution.

KKoTerski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 07-01-2009, 02:32 PM #2
erose914
Twin Minis

erose914 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Another great thread. Make sure you practice this a lot so you don't ruin your gun! If you don't know what I'm talking about, search pbnation or youtube for some destroyed Ego pics

Twin Minis Black / Blue
Black / Blue SLG 08
Clear Droid
Gun Metal Mini
erose914 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 02:40 PM #3
pbjunky126

pbjunky126 supports Team VICIOUS
very helpful, great tips

WTB broken guns: http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.p...1#post64653621
pbjunky126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 02:42 PM #4
LAC3 #00
Standard User Title

I use to practice dives with a p.o.s spare marker so I didnt ruin my main one
LAC3 #00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 02:45 PM #5
jarre1na
[RESPEK]

Quote:
Originally Posted by erose914 View Post
Another great thread. Make sure you practice this a lot so you don't ruin your gun! If you don't know what I'm talking about, search pbnation or youtube for some destroyed Ego pics
Ain't that the truth!

GETTING OUT GEARBAG SALE
jarre1na is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 03:46 PM #6
Paintphreak
Stay thirsty, my friends!

Annual Supporting Member
Paintphreak is a Moderator
Paintphreak is a Supporting Member
Paintphreak owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Paintphreak supports our troops
Paintphreak is reppin' sidebar 4 life
Paintphreak has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Added to the how to sticky.

White/Gold XSV SL74 for Sale!
Paintphreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 05:38 PM #7
Fiteagain1

Yay another!

Whats next? Maybe Communication?
Fiteagain1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 08:05 PM #8
Jack Archer
MP5 BABY!!!!!

Yes. And can you make on on not how to run, trip, and have your gun slip out of your hand and break your barrel... Other than that great job.
Old 07-02-2009, 11:08 AM #9
erose914
Twin Minis

erose914 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Archer View Post
Yes. And can you make on on not how to run, trip, and have your gun slip out of your hand and break your barrel... Other than that great job.
Don't be clumsy? Practice running on grass? Uh... I don't think there are any pointers to not being clumsy though..

Or am I not understanding what you are asking?

Twin Minis Black / Blue
Black / Blue SLG 08
Clear Droid
Gun Metal Mini
erose914 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 11:10 AM #10
SynergyAMB1125
chuckin up the shakas

Quote:

and practice doesnt need a marker, but be sure to keep you palms up even without a marker
Originally Posted by OA_paintball: im just worried if i donate plasma and some cancer patient gets it, his dicks gonna grow and hes gonna have mad game with the nurses.. probably not good for the hospital.

Dennis Woolford 9/26/08

TROLLPOCALYPSERed-Shirted Super Smashed Bros '11
SynergyAMB1125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 09:19 PM #11
Jack Archer
MP5 BABY!!!!!

Quote:
Don't be clumsy? Practice running on grass? Uh... I don't think there are any pointers to not being clumsy though..

Or am I not understanding what you are asking?
I know. It was just one of my fails of the day... Other than that im decent with sliding. Diving on dead grass im not even gonna attempt...
Old 07-02-2009, 11:41 PM #12
IslandP8ntballer
Paintballin' in paradise

IslandP8ntballer supports Cereal Killerz 2
IslandP8ntballer has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
IslandP8ntballer has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
IslandP8ntballer has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
Nice thread. I wish you made this 2 years ago.
IslandP8ntballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 07:27 AM #13
jj5u770n

Nice thread, Ive got a few people I need to show it to lol.
jj5u770n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 01:33 PM #14
SpyderMikey45

this helped alot ima go practice now
SpyderMikey45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 01:14 PM #15
OGballer22

alot of cross eyed
OGballer22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 11:24 PM #16
new ion?
Uni Sucks....

i say... if your really new, you may want to print the post out. good post, hell i needed a bit of advice on diving... its alot like volleyball

WTB cocker pneus, slider & Karni FB

Jack Wood:
And I think that if you think something is bull****, you have every right to say you think it is. Just because bull**** is the norm doesn't mean it stinks any less.
new ion? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 12:00 PM #17
KKoTerski
KCCO

KKoTerski plays in the PSP
KKoTerski is an NCPA player
KKoTerski plays in the APPA D3 division
KKoTerski supports DLX Technology
Quote:
Originally Posted by OGballer22 View Post
alot of cross eyed
I used to play for Crosseyed last season when we played D2 PSP. 99% of the photos used are of me. I have to show you guys that this isnt BS. This is how I play. Gotta practice what you preach.

KKoTerski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 11:19 PM #18
rollie17
rocking the vicious ego

all i can say is your how every paintballer should be, i wish i had this help like 5 years ago, but any ways great threads, awsome info i hope this helps alot of peaple out.
tyler

C.K.C.

Lnib new style xbox 360 package looking for a gun
http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.php?t=3619558
rollie17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 11:27 PM #19
joelski
hey, **** you.

joelski plays in the PSP
joelski is an NCPA player
joelski plays in the APPA D4 division

hope these help

R.I.P. TPA Redemption

G4H
Drop Zone
joelski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 03:27 PM #20
t21sccr
ifyourgunnawipeusecharmin

t21sccr owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
t21sccr supports Team VICIOUS
t21sccr is for the Gunfight
good post, but when you superman slide shouldn't your hopper be up-right or atleast to the side, if you have a speedfeed, there goes all your paint

Want an 08 or 09 EGO, PM me :)
t21sccr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 03:48 PM #21
junior5390

nice write up
junior5390 is offline   Reply With Quote