Find fields & stores near you!
Find fields and stores
Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 06-29-2009, 10:16 PM #1
Youwish959
 
 
Youwish959's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Missouri
Healthy Eating

I've been watching my weight, and with that comes eating healthy. However, my normal healthy foods are getting bland, and I'm looking for suggestions to mix it up.

What I have been eating:
-Bagels
-Sunny Side up eggs
-Tuna
-Oranges
-Grapefruit
-Green Peppers
-Bananas
Youwish959 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 06-30-2009, 01:19 AM #2
emotive789
 
 
emotive789's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: houston
Carbs:
Simple vs. Complex Carbs
-Simple Carbs(aka bad carbs)
-white, starchy carbohydrates(potatoes, white pasta, white bread, white rice, pretzels)
-when not burned off they are easily converted into stored fat in the body
-Complex Carbs(aka good carbs)
-wholegrain, multi-grain items(brown rice, wholegrain pasta and breads)
-higher in protein, fiber, and nutrients


NOTE: foods high in fiber(fruits, vegetables, wholegrain carbs) keep you feeling full longer!

Proteins:
-Try to avoid red meats and no sausage!
-White Chicken(breast, tenders, ground, or deli-meat; avoid dark meat)
-Turkey(ground, breast, or deli-meat)
-Eggs(but avoid eating a lot of yolks)
-Nuts(peanuts, almonds, cashews, peanut butter; only eat in small amounts though)
-Pork(ground, chops, and tenderloins)
-Seafood(Tilapia, Salmon, Orange Roughy, Shrimp)


Dairy:
-Try to avoid cheese(unless its low-fat, part skim, or no-fat; eat smaller amounts of low-fat and part skim)
-Yogurt
-Skim Milk(try to drink 1-2 glasses daily)


Fluids:
-Water(drink as much as you can daily, i drink a gallon, you need to drink at least 8 cups)
-Skim Milk
-Fruit Juices(but no sugar added juices)
-Avoid sodas even if diet because it contains extra, useless calories
-No "healthy/vitamin" drinks such as Vitamin Water, Sobe, or Gatorade(with the exception of Propel)


Products:
-Egg beaters(eggs without the fat and less calories, good source of protein)
-Barilla "Plus" Pasta (wholegrain pasta=more protein, more fiber, and more nutrients)
-Kroger No-Fat Swiss Singles(good alternative to american cheese)
-Kashi Go-Lean Crunch(wholegrain cereal high in protein and fiber)
-Sugar-free Jello and Pudding(buy powdered pudding and mix with skim milk)
-Dreyer's No Sugar Added and No-fat Ice Cream
-Nature Valley Granola Bars
-Thomas Hearty Grains English Muffins and Bagels
__________________
emotive789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 02:31 AM #3
smelly taco (Banned)
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: CHICAGO (773)
Stop the bagels unless they are whole grain.
smelly taco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 01:49 PM #4
pointer (Banned)
SBD
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Michigan
Ummm this is what I think..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cR5fv...e=channel_page
pointer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 02:02 PM #5
123paintball_dude
 
 
123paintball_dude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
 has been a member for 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by emotive789 View Post
Carbs:
Simple vs. Complex Carbs
-Simple Carbs(aka bad carbs)
-white, starchy carbohydrates(potatoes, white pasta, white bread, white rice, pretzels)
-when not burned off they are easily converted into stored fat in the body
-Complex Carbs(aka good carbs)
-wholegrain, multi-grain items(brown rice, wholegrain pasta and breads)
-higher in protein, fiber, and nutrients


NOTE: foods high in fiber(fruits, vegetables, wholegrain carbs) keep you feeling full longer!

Proteins:
-Try to avoid red meats and no sausage!
-White Chicken(breast, tenders, ground, or deli-meat; avoid dark meat)
-Turkey(ground, breast, or deli-meat)
-Eggs(but avoid eating a lot of yolks)
-Nuts(peanuts, almonds, cashews, peanut butter; only eat in small amounts though)
-Pork(ground, chops, and tenderloins)
-Seafood(Tilapia, Salmon, Orange Roughy, Shrimp)


Dairy:
-Try to avoid cheese(unless its low-fat, part skim, or no-fat; eat smaller amounts of low-fat and part skim)
-Yogurt
-Skim Milk(try to drink 1-2 glasses daily)


Fluids:
-Water(drink as much as you can daily, i drink a gallon, you need to drink at least 8 cups)
-Skim Milk
-Fruit Juices(but no sugar added juices)
-Avoid sodas even if diet because it contains extra, useless calories
-No "healthy/vitamin" drinks such as Vitamin Water, Sobe, or Gatorade(with the exception of Propel)


Products:
-Egg beaters(eggs without the fat and less calories, good source of protein)
-Barilla "Plus" Pasta (wholegrain pasta=more protein, more fiber, and more nutrients)
-Kroger No-Fat Swiss Singles(good alternative to american cheese)
-Kashi Go-Lean Crunch(wholegrain cereal high in protein and fiber)
-Sugar-free Jello and Pudding(buy powdered pudding and mix with skim milk)
-Dreyer's No Sugar Added and No-fat Ice Cream
-Nature Valley Granola Bars
-Thomas Hearty Grains English Muffins and Bagels
No. No. No. NO. No.
This is what you eat with every meal- Fat. Protein. Vegetables. Protein. Fat. and Vegetables. and Vegetables. and Vegetables. and more Protein.

The exception to this is right after a workout where you want some quick digesting carbohydrates, proteins, and avoid fat.

Go crazy with your favorite vegetables, and learn to love them. Basically anything but starches are good to go here.
Good foods: almost anything but starches, and large amounts of foods with a high Omega 6 to Omega 3 fat count.
Eggs, steak, chicken, pork, fish, etc.
Fruits at your stage of dieting are perfectly fine in reasonable quantities (Don't sit down and eat an entire bunch of bananas). Berries are good too.
Avocados are great.
Processed milk products (Cheese, Fage yogurt, etc.) are all great, although straight milk is a pretty hotly debated subject.
As far as flavor goes, find what you like- spicy, sour, sweet (harder to do healthy), etc. and incorporate them into your meals. Find spices and herbs you like, just experiment with flavors. Healthy cooking can be delicious. Something that also great to try is this: pulverize almonds or nuts of your choice in a coffee grinder, or coconut flour (basically just fine ground coconut) and you can use it to break chicken, pork, beef, whatever to make fried chicken, steak, pork chops or the like.

Last edited by 123paintball_dude : 07-05-2009 at 02:05 PM.
123paintball_dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 02:47 PM #6
ChaoticReign Pbt
Invulnerable
 
ChaoticReign Pbt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Fitchburg, MA
 has been a member for 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by 123paintball_dude View Post
No. No. No. NO. No.
This is what you eat with every meal- Fat. Protein. Vegetables. Protein. Fat. and Vegetables. and Vegetables. and Vegetables. and more Protein.

The exception to this is right after a workout where you want some quick digesting carbohydrates, proteins, and avoid fat.
Bull****, a keto diet is a little over the ****ing top for someone just looking to be a little healthier. Without carbs he's going to feel burnt out for weeks until his body adjusts. Carbs with breakfast is good thing. You should always been loading up the first meal of the day.
__________________
ST:F:Bodybuilding...Thank God for pure natural strength.

Toy: 2009 Kawasaki ZX-14. DD: Stock 1996 5SPD XJ.

Fitchburg State College
ChaoticReign Pbt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 12:05 PM #7
Youwish959
 
 
Youwish959's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Missouri
thanks for the help guys. What other ways are there to cook eggs besides sunny side up and scrambled, they really are getting old.
Youwish959 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 12:07 PM #8
emotive789
 
 
emotive789's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: houston
Quote:
Originally Posted by Youwish959 View Post
thanks for the help guys. What other ways are there to cook eggs besides sunny side up and scrambled, they really are getting old.
poach them and put them on top of a whole wheat english muffin. hard boil them and cut them up and put them over a salad.
__________________
emotive789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 05:30 PM #9
RoGuE9
yeah
 
RoGuE9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Dallas, Texas
RoGuE9 is a founding member
 has been a member for 10 years
Get some soba or udon noodles (or something else similar that is whole wheat). Dice up some veggies and cube some tofu. Boil the noodles in water, rinse them, then throw everything in a pot with some low sodium chicken or vegetable broth. Bring it to a boil, toss in an egg to poach in the broth. Quick, one pot, well-balanced meal.
__________________
gg
RoGuE9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
Forum Jump