Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 03-07-2015, 12:16 AM #1
Oldone72

New player, new coach, new team - help!

So here's my situation (a bit of extra history so skip ahead if you're ADD)

My 11 year old son asked for and got a paintball party for his birthday and he loved it. Almost all he talked about for the next two months was paintball, and how he wanted to play more. He used his birthday money on jersey and pants. After two more rental trips it was coming up on Christmas and the only thing he would ask for was a paintball marker. So sucker parent that I am I got him one, along with a mask. Thus the addiction was fueled. Oddly enough during this time I discovered that I really enjoyed playing as well, and became happy to take him to play.

So several more trips to play and he hears that there's a beginners tournament series locally, and we have to play. Did I mention that I'm a sucker parent? I agree and tell him that we'll need to recruit a third. Silly me thinks we can find someone who's already playing to join our misadventure, but no he sells the idea to a classmate, who comes over to show me the marker he's bought to join our team. So I'm now player/coach with two 11 year olds as teammates. I think I've done a pretty good job of getting their expectations marginally in tune with the reality that we're going to get slaughtered but I want to give them a good experience, so winning a couple points would be great. The tournament is a true beginners, so in theory no other tournament experience outside this series.

I've read most of the threads on three man tips and the first tournament thread but I'm still feeling like maybe someone has some other thoughts on this slightly unique team dynamic. A local field owner and a ref worked with us last weekend and suggested that I play back and conservative, trying to maximize the amount of coaching I can do before getting out. While this makes sense, there is a part of me that hates sending two kids out into fire while I try and stay back. Anyway, any other tips would really be appreciated.
Oldone72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 03-07-2015, 04:46 AM #2
ReynoldsZ33
Bazinga

ReynoldsZ33 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
ReynoldsZ33 has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
ReynoldsZ33 supports Empire
From my experience, In a beginners tournament...expecially a 3 man.... having a "back" player is really almost not needed. Though the idea of hanging back, letting the boys have fun, and coaching....is a good idea. I wouldn't expect them to get slaughtered, but there is usually one team there thats funded heavily by mom and dad, and they are usually cocky and instill fear on the young ones...causing them to shut down. It happens. They are kids..... No harm no foul.

Anywho. You shouldn't feel bad about sending them in to the gauntlet. By playing back, you can watch how each of them plays. If your son is a natural front player, let him run up there and make kills and piss off the other team.
If the other boy is a little timid, and hangs out in the back...maybe adapt and move up to play mid as to not leave your front man hanging. Being in the back leaves you open to adapt and fill the void. where ever it may be. And yes, the coaching will help the team tremendously.

When you get there, and they let people walk the field, DO IT....go walk the field. By doing this, you can find good bunkers to send everyone to, and places that you as the more strategic player ( not saying your son, or his friend aren't capable of strategizing, but just making a point, your though process is significantly greater, and more calculated.) can get to, to lock down a section of the field that will give you the advantage.

Biggest thing you want to do is get names for all of the bunkers. There is a general "Standard" name set for bunkers (speedball), those can be found all over the internet. Having names for bunkers, and even sections of the field will help you with coaching. ALOT. Telling a 11 year old boy that "hes at the tall round pyramid thing"...will be confusing not only for him, but for everyone. The bunker I was refering to is an "aztec"...the shorter version of the same bunker, "myan" they look like anciant myan temples.... Hell you can call them temples too.

Do some research, and get a quick list of the stuff that you cant remember off hand. The bunkers that look like beer cans....are generally called "Can"... Ones that look like a 3 sided pyramid...or a dorito...are generally called "dorito".... The long lay down bunker with random short bunkers....looks like a snake almost..... Its called "snake"...

Communication will be key to winning anything, I feel like your son, and his friends drive to play, and utter determination will do the most good, but being able to harness and pin point that will be your job....Call out were the enemy is, and let em' rip.

I wish you luck. Let us know how it goes.

IF the team becomes something a little more serious, and you are actually willing to COACH a team from the sidelines(when your son gets older, and maybe a few more players join)....Check out youtube. There are TONS of videos on training, and drills to sharpen skills. You can even do the drills as well. This would be handy having more than the 3 or 5 people on the roster just incase someone gets hurt or something.
ReynoldsZ33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 08:30 AM #3
JDempsey12
Carpe Diem

JDempsey12 plays in the PSP
JDempsey12 owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
JDempsey12 plays in the APPA D3 division
When I played beginner 3-man tournaments, having a back player was actually pretty helpful. We had a friend who would communicate everything he saw and sort of relay information between everyone. He would also help out with shooting people in, allowing us to move up. I think for your son and his friend, this would be very beneficial for them. You could hang back a little and help them get up the field and shoot more players.

Aside from that, if the boys do take a beating, hopefully the players who give it aren't jerks. These beginners tournaments are crucial to get other young players into the sport. Good luck and I hope you all have fun!
JDempsey12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 03:36 PM #4
Oldone72

Thanks for your help. I'll let you know how it goes. Hopefully we'll at least have a good story to tell afterwards.
Old 03-18-2015, 08:15 AM #5
Oldone72

I want to first say I am so grateful to how welcoming, kind and generous all of the organizers, teams and refs were to us in what was clearly our first tournament. They made us feel at home, even going so far as to loaning a marker when I couldn't get one of ours to stop chopping paint. My background is in more traditional team sports (mostly baseball), and we would have been laughed out of the park had we shown up for a baseball tournament as unprepared as we were. So huge kudos to all of you who go out of your way to make the new guys feel like part of the sport.

With that said, our first game was a disaster. I was so focused on getting boys into positions, ensuring they knew their roles, and making sure they were ready that I forgot to turn on my own marker. Discovered at first bunker when I tried to take my first shot. Then we were completely unprepared for the pace of tournament play. By the time I got hoppers full and checked air it would be time to play again. But we got better, figured out a better break, used little brother to keep pods full, and actually managed to get a couple of eliminations.

The great part is that the boys had a blast and can't wait to get back on the tournament field. So hopefully this is just the start of a long run for this tournament team, but I'm not letting 11 year olds pick team names anymore.
Old 03-18-2015, 09:29 AM #6
JDempsey12
Carpe Diem

That's awesome! Everyone thinks that tournament paintball is full of jerks, but there are plenty of people trying to grow the sport. I'm glad you and the boys had fun and hopefully you guys keep it up!

Tournament paintball takes a little getting used to but you'll learn quickly. By the way, what was your team name?
Old 03-18-2015, 10:19 AM #7
Oldone72

Light 'em up was the team name. The night before they were planning their whole entrance spectacle.
Old 03-18-2015, 12:28 PM #8
JDempsey12
Carpe Diem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldone72 View Post
Light 'em up was the team name. The night before they were planning their whole entrance spectacle.
That's great that they were so excited! Always great to see new players getting into the sport. Keep up the good work!
Old 03-18-2015, 12:51 PM #9
DriverJ
Death is Coming...

Annual Supporting Member
DriverJ is BST Legit
DriverJ owns a Planet Eclipse SLS
DriverJ owns a Planet Eclipse CSL
DriverJ owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
DriverJ owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
DriverJ owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
DriverJ supports Team VICIOUS
Glad to hear you had fun.
Some suggestions from someone who started his own team.

1. If you can recruit someone to help as "staff" do it, wife, other kids friend whoever. You can teach them what they need to do to help.
If the person running staff for you has paintball experience they can also scout the other teams for you to give more information on their game plans.

2.If allowed by the rules, take a test shot with your gun or a quick burst to make sure both loader and hopper are on. Make sure that you follow any rules the league or event has on this. IE pointed away from spectators and the other team in most cases.

3. Keep in mind what you want. If you want to get more serious at playing higher level competition, practice practice practice. (Practice with better players/teams). So you learn from them, don't blaze your own trail until you are more experienced.

4. HAVE FUN. Its why we play.
DriverJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 12:42 PM #10
Coenen
K-K-k-k-YEAH!

has been a member for 10 years
Coenen plays in the MiLP
Coenen owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Coenen supports Team VICIOUS
Coenen plays in the APPA D4 division
I cut my teeth playing in Alabama back in the mid-2000's, lots of really solid guys out that way.

Sounds like you guys had a pretty good first event. Don't worry too much about game planning. Paintball is really fluid, after your breakout, the chances that anything else is going to go the way you thought it would are basically zero. Keep things simple. Give the kids a bunker to go to, a route to run, and a couple places to shoot after they get there.

Playing back is probably the right place for you, it's where you can help the most. As an adult you're much better at processing information than your son and his friend. This puts you in a position to help them by telling them what to do, where to shoot, etc. Always be communicating. Call them by name, and tell them whatever you see, or what you think they can do. Even something as simple as "sit tight" or "calm down" can be important. I'm pushing 30, and my coaches still need to tell me to slow it down and not do anything stupid.

Going forward, like any other sport, establishing some basic skills is crucial. If you guys can establish good gun handling, etc. in the early going, that'll put your boys waaaaaaaay ahead of the curve. You might ask the owner at your local field if they can recommend someone as a teacher. Maybe you met a couple guys at the first event who would be willing to work with you. A couple of morning sessions before open play could do a world of good.

Now that the first tournament is out of the way, you should be much more "in the know" about how that works. Anything you can do to make things easier is a good idea. Anything you can do to get close to just walking through net and playing will help. Adding people in the pit is a huge help (provided things are organized). Having a few to cheer for you on the sideline isn't bad either.

Make friends. Small events should be pretty much like rec-ball with prizes; say hello to the other teams. Talk shop, joke around, if a guy is playing good, give him a pat on the back after the match. It's great to go to an event an feel like you're just playing with friends.

FUN is huge.

Have a plan for after. My team likes to go out to eat somewhere special after an event, when we're in Alabama it's Whataburger. When we're in South GA there's an all-you-can-eat place that we like. It just makes the whole experience that much more special.

Also, have FUN. Just keep things in perspective, you're playing because it's fun, if you forget to have fun, you've lost the essence of the game.
BLACK '07+ Planet Eclipse OOPS
Coenen is offline   Reply With Quote