Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 11-25-2013, 10:02 PM #1
x12OCKSTEADYx
~Dark-Horse~

Annual Supporting Member
x12OCKSTEADYx is BST Trusted
How Old is Too Old?

How old is too old for tournament paintball? I'm 28 and just getting back into the sport and realize its a younger sport but I still have aspirations of becoming a pro paintball player. I guess I'm just wanting the general public's opinion on this to see if I'm as crazy as i feel!

"Never, Never, Never Give Up."
- Winston Churchill

Ripper VIS For Sale
http://x12ocksteadyx.smugmug.com/Bob-Long-Vis/i-nWpwb94
x12OCKSTEADYx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 11-25-2013, 10:27 PM #2
martix_agent
I'm out of creativity

Annual Supporting Member
martix_agent is playing at Living Legends VII
martix_agent is one of the top 500 posters on PbNation
28 is not too old to play competitively. I'm 27, and I'm going to be playing in at least one PSP event next year for the first time.

by the time you're 28, you should realize that:
a) you are probably too old to join a pro team
b) that you can't make any money by doing it
c) that you should probably focus on a real job, instead of having grand dreams of pro paintball.

Last edited by martix_agent : 11-25-2013 at 10:30 PM.
martix_agent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 10:51 PM #3
deadly*
⊙▃⊙

deadly* supports Team VICIOUS
deadly* supports Pev's Paintball
deadly* is one of the top 500 posters on PbNation
deadly* is Boss
I wouldn't say youre too old.

Alex Martinez of XFactor is in his 40s playing pro.
deadly* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 11:52 PM #4
x12OCKSTEADYx
~Dark-Horse~

Annual Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by martix_agent View Post
28 is not too old to play competitively. I'm 27, and I'm going to be playing in at least one PSP event next year for the first time.

c) that you should probably focus on a real job, instead of having grand dreams of pro paintball.
I figure a dream is a dream and its what ya make from it. But it is frustrating when you read into the sport most pro players being done at such an early age, where in any other sport players play into there late thirties if not longer. I wonder why that is? Is it because paintball demands that much more from your body? Is it because its still considered a young sport that just now people in my age are coming back to what they loved as a teen? I figured out a long time ago anything worth doing isn't done for money.

Just my thoughts, i know I'm never gonna stop playing no matter how old i get!

- Winston Churchill

Ripper VIS For Sale
Old 11-25-2013, 11:53 PM #5
lovethesundaygrind

Quote:
Originally Posted by martix_agent View Post

Don't listen to this guy. You can do whatever you want, granted you want it enough. 28? Come on your still young. If you want it bad enough the process of becoming pro will work itself out. Never go into something you want with doubts, thought manifest themselves in real life. If you don't achieve this feat you didn't believe enough.
lovethesundaygrind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 05:23 AM #6
Christian P
UWL and Scenario

Christian P is playing at Living Legends VI
Christian P is playing at Living Legends VII
Christian P has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Christian P is attending Decay of Nations VII
Quote:
Originally Posted by x12OCKSTEADYx View Post
I figure a dream is a dream and its what ya make from it. But it is frustrating when you read into the sport most pro players being done at such an early age, where in any other sport players play into there late thirties if not longer. I wonder why that is? Is it because paintball demands that much more from your body? Is it because its still considered a young sport that just now people in my age are coming back to what they loved as a teen?
Don't take this the wrong way, but paintball is a hobby with athletic requirements. Only the top 1% of the top 1% earn enough to make a living. Most players play for fun and focus on another career path for their personal wealth.

I'm 34, play UWL, rec ball, and scenarios now. I have had previous good times playing speedball but I can't make it to snake on most breaks, I'm slower than 50% of the kids playing (and that's conservative), but I still enjoy playing.

Don't let anyone tell you that your too old. You will know when your body can't keep up and then you will just have to play back or home. There is a position for everyone on a team if you old, young, fast, slow, skinny or fat.
Christian P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 07:30 AM #7
EPE_79

Annual Supporting Member
EPE_79 supports DLX Technology
It all depends on your level of commitment, not knowing you or your physical condition it's hard to say but, if your willing to train and stay in top condition then there is no reason you can't push yourself to that goal. I'm 34 years old and the only ball i play is speedball, i wouldn't have it any other way. The snake is getting rough on the knees but i still do it when i have to, i just take more Advil at night than i use to. No i don't play D1 but no matter what position i play or who i play against I always have fun and isn't that what this is all about anyhow?
Old 11-26-2013, 07:31 AM #8
joshmutiny
Atlanta Outrage

joshmutiny plays in the PSP
joshmutiny owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
joshmutiny plays in the APPA D4 division
joshmutiny has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
I'm 31 and just started playing last year. I played some woods/recball when I was 15/16, but that was it. Just keep your body in shape and you'll be fine.

I'm playing front mostly, right now. Though, if I get too slow and can't keep up, I can always play back/mid.

Though, you will want to focus on another career so you can afford to play.
joshmutiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 09:37 AM #9
liquidfiretibby

Annual Supporting Member
liquidfiretibby is BST Legit
liquidfiretibby plays in the PSP
liquidfiretibby owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
liquidfiretibby posts videos on PbNation
liquidfiretibby plays in the APPA D4 division
liquidfiretibby has perfected Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
the reason the median age of pro paintball players is so young compared to other professional sports is because paintball is the only one that doesnt really have any requirements or "farm" system for the pros. You dont get recruited out of college. You just develop yourself and can tryout for any pro team that will allow you too. This gives you the ability to progress by performance rather than age like most other sports. By keepin like aged players together, it hinders the best of the best. They will outperform their peers, but not get the chance to improve because there is no competition. But give them the chance to play with all ages, all skill levels, and their games will improve much faster. It gives the younger players a chance to move up the ranks while they are still super young and athletic.

United
liquidfiretibby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 12:30 PM #10
T_Troll

T_Troll is a Supporting Member
T_Troll is a Professional paintball player
I'm 33 and still playing front snake at the pro level.
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Thoma...88?ref=tn_tnmn
I am now offering personal and team training online as well as field breakdowns/game plans/drills. http://positivechangeusa.com/paintball/
T_Troll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 12:42 PM #11
Pump Scout
A dream within a dream

Annual Supporting Member
Pump Scout is a Mega Moderator
Pump Scout is a Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
Pump Scout is BST Legit
Quote:
Originally Posted by T_Troll View Post
I'm 33 and still playing front snake at the pro level.
And Rich is older than me, the old fart!

I'd thought we were the same age. Looks like he's got four years on me.

Then again, flipping it around, Rusty Glaze is 32 and done playing, moved on to coaching. Each player/person is going to be different. I know that my knees and back won't take playing high level paintball, but I still love playing, and will play some tournaments in the next season one way or another.

Flying to events? Check out BHTP to protect your travel and your bags!

Last edited by Pump Scout : 11-26-2013 at 12:46 PM.
Pump Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 05:32 PM #12
KillNThrill24
Watch This City Burn

KillNThrill24 has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
KillNThrill24 supports Empire
Well I can honestly say paintball is FAR cheaper than the car scene. Holy crap guys don't get sucked into it lol.

As for the age thing I'm 21 and just getting back into it after about 7/8yrs of not playing. I realize I'm in the prime age of playing but I also realize I'll never be a pro. It's just a very expensive hobby if you ask me. If your looking to make a career out of it I wish you the best but I'm sure you as well as most of us are just in it for the fun.

As long as your still able-bodied you'll be fine man. I shouldn't have to say that lol but at 21 I already have some crazy back issues sometimes and bad knees so at 28.. Well I hope I have nothing to worry about lol. But it's nothing serious yet so that won't stop me from having fun while I can

And Thomas Taylor spelled it out nice and clear for ya!

Best of luck to ya!
KillNThrill24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 06:44 PM #13
x12OCKSTEADYx
~Dark-Horse~

Annual Supporting Member
Thumbs up

Wow lots of sound and inspirational advice in here! I feel like I'm in the best condition Ive ever been in honestly. Each day I can only get better! Thanks for ya'll's comments good to know I'm not the only guy out there puttin in work.

- Winston Churchill

Ripper VIS For Sale
Old 11-26-2013, 07:22 PM #14
XSVchild12
Kick ***, dont kiss it!

Annual Supporting Member
XSVchild12 owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
XSVchild12 plays in the APPA beginner division
XSVchild12 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
XSVchild12 has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
XSVchild12 has perfected Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
rich telford.
(> )>
*\)\)
XSVchild12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 07:37 PM #15
brockolson97
Superior Paintball

brockolson97 owns a Planet Eclipse Etha
brockolson97 plays in the APPA D5 division
My dads over 40 and still wrecks anyone that comes his way. Hes been involved with paintball twice a week for 10+ years.
Trust me, 28 isnt even close to old. Like said before, look at Alex Martinez.

G6R Owners Club V4

SouptownPaintball Media!
Subscribe to me on Youtube!
http://www.youtube.com/user/souptownairsoft
brockolson97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 07:42 PM #16
aimeagle21
I'm kind of a big deal!

Annual Supporting Member
aimeagle21 is a Supporting Member
aimeagle21 plays in the PSP
aimeagle21 posts videos on PbNation
aimeagle21 plays in the APPA D4 division
aimeagle21 has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
I'm 43 and do not play in any major events I do play as many 3-5 man tournaments as I can locally. Also, play on league night when possible. I didn't start playing until I was 35 (my son was 13). I have always played pretty much at TC paintball (Whom has their own pro/semi pro team TCP Machine). I have no hopes of ever playing pro but I have a heck of a time local.

If you body can take it go for it!
Colors Paintball Great Lakes Series
Fierce Photography!
Old style trust
aimeagle21 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 08:08 PM #17
Etek4
Pump it up!

Etek4 owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
Etek4 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Etek4 has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Etek4 supports Empire
All in all if you can still keep up with those young farts then your not to old I am 30 in a few months and I just play to my abilities. I know I can't make it up to the 30 or 40 so I just play mid and I am more then ok with that because usually I get to play alittle longer

CCM J12 #43, CCM'd Midblock Karni pump, CCM'd Halfblocked 2k2 soon to be pneumatic assist, Planet Eclipse Geo 3, Planet Eclipse Etek 4 LT, Empire Resurrection, Lightening Autococker, Empire Axe LE

MCB FEEDBACK
Etek4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 06:54 AM #18
Bad71
.... from the ashes

Bad71 owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
Bad71 plays in the APPA D4 division
Bad71 has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Bad71 has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
Im 42.. and still play competitively in Xball and 5-man. Admittedly, I relegated myself to a Back player, but in a pinch can fill over the either side and even get a few kills out of the Snake every now and then.
Although, I wont be trying out for any Pro teams, I look at it as not a question of age, but rather a question of ability, physical agility, stamina, and how many days it takes you to recover physically from exerting the same energy as guys half my age do. At this point, I can still keep up with them on a field, but what takes them a day to recover may still take me two...when that number reaches 5, or by midweek i find myself still not able to practice / move with full mobility, i will start to think about taking a more Off-Field/ Sideline approach to the game.

Bad71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 07:40 AM #19
N*Famous

Annual Supporting Member
23 years old and just came back after a 3 year break & ill be playing until my body won't let me anymore. Playing pro is not out of the question. Work on your fitness and skills, you should have no problem doing it. Then go for a tryout.
N*Famous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 11:52 AM #20
acadianaPB85

I started playing paintball at 12 and I'm now 28! I started with brass eagle factory in the early 2000 with my dad working at the factory and we did tourneys together for years.. Then I moved on and played higher divisions with a few teams until 22 years old .. I work for a living , so I quit for awhile and now at 28 getting back involved in playing and working at fields reefing. Playing pro has also been a dream of mine since I was young, and trying to get a chance! I don't think I'm even close to being to old, but paintball takes a lot of commitment! I like the youth players! That's our future and working with some talented young players helps keep you young! Pro's don't just become pro's because there talented, most work at local paintball fields to grow the sport for every young player and that is one of the biggest things you can do for paintball! If your real serious , do work outs and speed and strength training and you will be back in shape in no time!! Stretching is going to be key for older players! Trust me the first few weeks was tough on the legs and back! But work with the younger players to get your speed and agility and they always look up to you as a veteran older player. That's the biggest thing! Your patience as a older player and more adaptable to pressure situations is always a great tool on a paintball field!!
acadianaPB85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 07:42 PM #21
x12OCKSTEADYx
~Dark-Horse~

Annual Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by acadianaPB85 View Post
I started playing paintball at 12 and I'm now 28! I started with brass eagle factory in the early 2000 with my dad working at the factory and we did tourneys together for years.. Then I moved on and played higher divisions with a few teams until 22 years old .. I work for a living , so I quit for awhile and now at 28 getting back involved in playing and working at fields reefing. Playing pro has also been a dream of mine since I was young, and trying to get a chance! I don't think I'm even close to being to old, but paintball takes a lot of commitment! I like the youth players! That's our future and working with some talented young players helps keep you young! Pro's don't just become pro's because there talented, most work at local paintball fields to grow the sport for every young player and that is one of the biggest things you can do for paintball! If your real serious , do work outs and speed and strength training and you will be back in shape in no time!! Stretching is going to be key for older players! Trust me the first few weeks was tough on the legs and back! But work with the younger players to get your speed and agility and they always look up to you as a veteran older player. That's the biggest thing! Your patience as a older player and more adaptable to pressure situations is always a great tool on a paintball field!!

Couldn't say it better myself!!! That's is awesome to hear, we are almost in the exact same shoes! Hopefully one day we both make that dream a reality!

- Winston Churchill

Ripper VIS For Sale