Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 10-20-2013, 07:55 PM #1
skunkbig

Careers, Life, and Tournament Paintball

I'm in college and on track to becoming an accountant. I wanna continue playing in tournament paintball but it just doesn't look like it will fit into my life right now. I wanna know about other tournament players career side of life and here there stories.

So i wanna know...

Your Career:

How involved in paintball you are:

How well does paintball mesh with the rest of your life:
skunkbig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 08:28 AM #2
MenosDaBear

MenosDaBear owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
I'm a network manager keeping 2000ish users and 30 servers running across 5 physical sites.

I am a D4 player that plays once a week, sometimes twice, along with a tournament about once a month.

I work approx 45-50 hrs a week, but it is almost always exclusively mon-friday so it doesn't affect being able to play. I live with my girlfriend, but she doesn't mind me taking a day(half a day really) a week to do something I enjoy. I am only playing D4 and playing regional tournaments, so events are also only on the weekends. If you are looking to play PSP things get a little more tricky because they start games on thursdays. But if you start your job with vacation time already, you could plan for those days.

It doesn't work for everyone, and not every job is totally compatible with playing. A few people I used to play with, graduated college and had to stop when they found a real job.
MenosDaBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 09:05 AM #3
ka-titties
They call me D1

ka-titties plays in the APPA D5 division
ka-titties has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
ka-titties supports DLX Technology
ka-titties supports Empire
Quote:
Originally Posted by MenosDaBear View Post
I'm a network manager keeping 2000ish users and 30 servers running across 5 physical sites.

I am a D4 player that plays once a week, sometimes twice, along with a tournament about once a month.

I work approx 45-50 hrs a week, but it is almost always exclusively mon-friday so it doesn't affect being able to play. I live with my girlfriend, but she doesn't mind me taking a day(half a day really) a week to do something I enjoy. I am only playing D4 and playing regional tournaments, so events are also only on the weekends. If you are looking to play PSP things get a little more tricky because they start games on thursdays. But if you start your job with vacation time already, you could plan for those days.

It doesn't work for everyone, and not every job is totally compatible with playing. A few people I used to play with, graduated college and had to stop when they found a real job.
i'm almost in the same boat as this guy.

i'm an engineer at a major auto manufacturer and besides the occasional weekend that i work, i play almost every weekend. it really depends on the job you've got and the partner you're with. if she doesn't like it or doesn't understand paintball, you're going to have a hard time justifying spending your free time not with her.

APGOB.com Mississippi MEERKATS! D4
ka-titties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 12:38 PM #4
dps093
My position=Deadbox

Annual Supporting Member
dps093 is BST Legit
dps093 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
dps093 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
dps093 supports Team VICIOUS
dps093 supports Team VICIOUS
dps093 plays in the APPA D4 division
dps093 is Legendary
I'm a full time student at my college. I also live at home, my college is 10 minutes from my house. I'm a criminal justice major. I work summers, Monday-Friday to afford paintball and other stuff, on weekends, my weekend is all paintball all the time. Saturdays I ref at my local field usually, Sundays are for practice days and tournaments. It definitely doesn't work for everyone, but for me I make it work to play the sport I love.
Old 10-23-2013, 12:05 AM #5
ROptimistic

ROptimistic owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
ROptimistic supports DLX Technology
Quote:
Originally Posted by dps093 View Post
I'm a full time student at my college. I also live at home, my college is 10 minutes from my house. I'm a criminal justice major. I work summers, Monday-Friday to afford paintball and other stuff, on weekends, my weekend is all paintball all the time. Saturdays I ref at my local field usually, Sundays are for practice days and tournaments. It definitely doesn't work for everyone, but for me I make it work to play the sport I love.
I'm in a similar situation. I go to school full time Monday thru Thursday. Fridays and Saturdays I ref at my local field and Sundays I play paintball. For me I have had to make a lot of sacrifices to play tournament paintball and practice week in and week out. Spending money on paint and fees adds up for anybody let alone students. For me it is worth it though I love paintball.
ROptimistic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 10:53 AM #6
merkercaptain16
REDEMPTION!

merkercaptain16 is a Supporting Member
merkercaptain16 owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
merkercaptain16 has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
i work full time in insurance sales. I also live with my girlfriend and shes very open to me doing what i love. I'll be playing once a week now that im getting back into the sport after a 2 year hiatus during which i was getting situated in a full time job, bought a house, etc. just because you have a career doesnt mean you cant do what you love on your off time. it make mean making some adjustments but if youre dedicated you can always make time for it.

Fox 4 Paintball
www.fox4paintball.com
merkercaptain16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 01:04 PM #7
ImpulseFreek
Tpa Paintball

im going to play devils advocate here and give you the bad sides though i believe its worth it to play.

I play paintball probably 3 weekends a month but to get here i have lost relationships, friends and numerous job opportunity's.

To be able to play competitively you cant work on sundays.
you have to be able to spend couple hundred dollars a month just on paint.
you also have to be ready for friends and family to not understand why you want to do all these things just to play a game.

if you can do all this welcome aboard

Tpa Paintball, Where the best players in Ohio play.

1 of Alot Empire Axe
1 of 2 Vegas G6R
ImpulseFreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 10:39 PM #8
crich775
Infinite Focus Media

crich775 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
crich775 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
crich775 supports DLX Technology
NCO in the army, I work about 60 hours a week, play 3 times a week.
It works well, only time I cant play is when I'm gone training.
crich775 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 11:29 PM #9
loougle

Annual Supporting Member
loougle has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
loougle has perfected Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
loougle supports Empire
I'm working 2 jobs, 1 is my own business. I try to train brazilian jiu jitsu a few times a week and now I have money again so I think Sundays are now my go to paintball day. Having a bit of money really helps I can afford all the gear I want and shoot as many paintballs as I want. I used to have to heavily conserve. It's fun now!
loougle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 11:52 AM #10
Classic One

Classic One plays in the APPA beginner division
Classic One has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Classic One has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
I'm in the same boat as you skunk, I'm a student. Sometimes it's really hard to be able to play since when you're in college money is a pretty big deal.

My question to the people in relationships is why that's a problem. Where I live sundays basically consist of waking up early to get to the field, playing for a few hours, then heading back home. Why does half of your day on sunday effect a relationship?
Classic One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 12:10 PM #11
loougle

Annual Supporting Member
loougle supports Empire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic One View Post
I'm in the same boat as you skunk, I'm a student. Sometimes it's really hard to be able to play since when you're in college money is a pretty big deal.

My question to the people in relationships is why that's a problem. Where I live sundays basically consist of waking up early to get to the field, playing for a few hours, then heading back home. Why does half of your day on sunday effect a relationship?
Time and money. Spending constantly on paintball and telling my GF why I don't want to live in a larger apartment or to buy a new mattress, etc. but then I go and blow money paintball. A lot of significant others don't get it and probably visa versa.

My GF doesn't care if I go on Sundays but then when I want to buy, buy and buy on paintballing it becomes an issue.
Old 11-07-2013, 02:05 PM #12
Classic One

Classic One plays in the APPA beginner division
Classic One has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Classic One has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
That actually makes a lot of sense. Especially if you're sharing assets I guess.

It is a lot of money after all.
Classic One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 04:39 PM #13
loougle

Annual Supporting Member
loougle supports Empire
Quote:
That actually makes a lot of sense. Especially if you're sharing assets I guess.

It is a lot of money after all.
Yeah in my relationship I pay more than her and make more than her so when I said I'm dropping about $700 on getting all new gear, gun, etc. Her draw dropped but she let me. But if I kept spending and spending and accruing new guns she would have a problem. I imagine some girlfriend's regardless of shared finances get jealous of the time, energy and money that is placed into paintballing as well. That's a lot of shoes, handbags, purses and wallets that can be bought with what some guys invest.
Old 11-08-2013, 01:37 AM #14
Christian P
UWL and Scenario

Christian P is playing at Living Legends VI
Christian P is playing at Living Legends VII
Christian P has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Christian P is attending Decay of Nations VII
Not just girlfriends but wives. Have a child and it's worse. I make a good salary now so I can spend $400+ a month on paintball. But I pay the bills and take care of my family first.

However, this is a hobby. Happy wife, happy life. My daughters hobbies come second. Then I come third with my expenditures. I tell my wife I need to get out to release my work anger. It replaced trips to the bar weekly. I don't drink like I used to, but I shoot more kids and have a better time.

Life is all about compromise.

Last edited by Christian P : 11-08-2013 at 01:40 AM. Reason: I lied about how much I spend
Christian P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 06:12 AM #15
WP2015
ACL tears are no bueno

Annual Supporting Member
WP2015 plays in the PSP
WP2015 owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
WP2015 posts videos on PbNation
WP2015 is an NCPA player
WP2015 supports Pev's Paintball
WP2015 supports Empire
WP2015 is All In
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian P View Post
I don't drink like I used to, but I shoot more kids and have a better time.
lol sig-worthy

LN Vanquish 1.5 For Sale!
PM me about D'Fenders too!
WP2015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 08:17 PM #16
navigator
Roth

Annual Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
navigator owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
navigator supports Pev's Paintball
navigator plays in the APPA D4 division
Maintenance Mechanic I work every other weekend so it's hard for me to commit to a real serious team (PSP Level) that practices every sunday.

Married with one kid so it's also hard for me to justify spending hundreds on a new gun so I usually buy pre-owned equipment. This past season I did play a few local tournaments.
But with all that said I do find time to practice and play events. When I try out for a team I am always up front with them concerning my work schedule as work and family come first paintball is second. I have played many national tournaments so that is all kind of out of my system for now.
It is a tough balance, Life and Paintball but it can be done.

Lainway Sports, NY

NINJA 50/4500 BORN 2013 WTT
navigator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 09:31 PM #17
D_Barrio

D_Barrio owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
Quote:
Originally Posted by loougle View Post
Time and money. Spending constantly on paintball and telling my GF why I don't want to live in a larger apartment or to buy a new mattress, etc. but then I go and blow money paintball. A lot of significant others don't get it and probably visa versa.

My GF doesn't care if I go on Sundays but then when I want to buy, buy and buy on paintballing it becomes an issue.
that exactly
D_Barrio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 09:48 AM #18
applebutt89
Been here since 04

Annual Supporting Member
applebutt89 plays in the PSP
applebutt89 supports Team VICIOUS
applebutt89 is one of the top 1000 posters on PbNation
applebutt89 is Legendary
applebutt89 supports DLX Technology
Full time college student and work 32-37 hours a week.

Try to play every Sunday and also play various tourneys.
Baltimore Trauma Fan #655
applebutt89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 02:53 PM #19
kaiyak

Annual Supporting Member
kaiyak owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
kaiyak has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
kaiyak has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
kaiyak has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
I'm a full-time college student, maintain a full-time job 40 hours a week, go to the gym 5 days a week, play soccer 2 days a week, have a girlfriend, and play paintball at least once a week (D2 Team in the making). It's all about time management, coffee, and most importantly enjoying what you do. People too often complain that there's not enough time in the day to do everything they want, but it all comes down to how bad you want it. With all of this on my plate, I can honestly say I've never been happier....Although I must admit I'm a lucky guy to have a girlfriend who is willing to sacrifice time together to accommodate my schedule.
Tri-City Legends #8
Brunswick, NY
Tri-City Extreme http://tricityextreme.com/ -enter Legends in the comment field when ordering
Proud member of the 518th Brigade
Proud member of TrashTalk Paintball

High End Sale! 1/10 Aggressive Sports GTI, Insight NG, JT Impulse, Geo 3

Gear bag sale-tank, I4s, Empire Pack
kaiyak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 02:58 PM #20
kaiyak

Annual Supporting Member
kaiyak owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
kaiyak has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
kaiyak has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
kaiyak has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:

It effects one's relationship because commitment to a team (although in most cases on day a week, Sunday) in reality prevent a lot of things like mini vacations. Many of us work and go to school which eliminate the possibility of hanging out during the day...I typically only see my girlfriend after 9pm, most days, which with most other girls would be a serious strain on a relationship (not in my case thankfully)
Tri-City Legends #8
Brunswick, NY
Tri-City Extreme http://tricityextreme.com/ -enter Legends in the comment field when ordering
Proud member of the 518th Brigade
Proud member of TrashTalk Paintball

High End Sale! 1/10 Aggressive Sports GTI, Insight NG, JT Impulse, Geo 3

Gear bag sale-tank, I4s, Empire Pack
kaiyak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 08:09 PM #21
Jgraberlvp

Jgraberlvp plays in the APPA beginner division
do any of u think college ball will every grow to a magor sport
Jgraberlvp is offline   Reply With Quote