Old 07-01-2009, 09:58 AM #44
komodo_117
Plague Upon Your Hissing

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpenadela View Post
The Mars Volta is to music,
as The Wakowski Bros are to Movies...
That's not really a good comparison...

After listening to the album for the past 2 days, I really am falling in love with it. It's so short, but there isn't a part that I don't like. Teflon is easily my favorite song, With Twilight as my Guide being a close second.

I can't really compare this to the other albums though, nor really rank it with them anymore. It's entirely different. The others, while still being different from each other, all had that Mars Volta sound. Save for Since We've Been Wrong, everything on this one just feels like it's not even TMV, and not to be compared with everything else they've done.

They rip their skin off and rape anything in sight. Basically a Shel Silverstein poem."

XBL - xStonedCrow
komodo_117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 12:08 PM #45
imhungry (Banned)
***CHAOS***

has been a member for 10 years
it feels like a more filtered, refined TMV, if that makes sense. like, i can still definitely recognize that its in their style but it just seems much more dumbed down and smooth. coming off bedlam its a nice change, which felt like their most experimental piece. omar stated that he wanted a more pure TMV in this album (which is what he ment by the acoustic album comment).

also, i was reading yesterday the next 1 or 2 albums are already recorded and just awaiting release. anyone have more info on that. i know they plan on releasing a live comp some time soon
imhungry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 12:20 PM #46
komodo_117
Plague Upon Your Hissing

I heard that the next one is already done. Which, doesn't surprise me, considering the amount of albums Omar keeps churning out on his own.

They rip their skin off and rape anything in sight. Basically a Shel Silverstein poem."

XBL - xStonedCrow
Old 07-01-2009, 02:13 PM #47
imhungry (Banned)
***CHAOS***

yea, he has like 2 or 3 solo projects going at any given time, its insane that he can keep coming up with fresh content
Old 07-03-2009, 12:36 PM #48
TigahStyle
im a hell of a guy

Listened to the whole album yesterday, finally. I got it on release day but was real busy.

I really enjoyed it. Usually I'm one for their chaotic sounds and stuff but this step down for them was a nice change. It was almost soothing at times.

"Originally posted by steveofsatan: "Then, its the biggest thing in ST with 200 horny, teenage guys drooling over there computers and dry ****ing there keyboards with the hope of underage noods.
I ****ing love you guys.""
TigahStyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 01:03 PM #49
MetalFace Snakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChemicalDonkey View Post
I love Bedlam...
Ditto. My least favorite is Amputechture
MetalFace Snakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 01:29 PM #50
Treghc

Treghc is a Supporting Member
Treghc is a founding member
Treghc is a Forum Captain
Quote:
Originally Posted by imhungry View Post
it feels like a more filtered, refined TMV, if that makes sense. like, i can still definitely recognize that its in their style but it just seems much more dumbed down and smooth. coming off bedlam its a nice change, which felt like their most experimental piece. omar stated that he wanted a more pure TMV in this album (which is what he ment by the acoustic album comment).

also, i was reading yesterday the next 1 or 2 albums are already recorded and just awaiting release. anyone have more info on that. i know they plan on releasing a live comp some time soon
I don't know about actually being recorded, but he has their next couple of albums lined out already with the material for both of them.

This album was an attempt at a more up-beat TMV sound. But Omar doesn't know the major scale, so it's as upbeat as you can get with a minor scale and Cedric's singing/lyrics

Tarsier Slave

We are Sapien
Treghc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 12:18 AM #51
TigahStyle
im a hell of a guy

Going to have to say Desperate Graves is my favourite tune of the album thusfar.

"Originally posted by steveofsatan: "Then, its the biggest thing in ST with 200 horny, teenage guys drooling over there computers and dry ****ing there keyboards with the hope of underage noods.
I ****ing love you guys.""
TigahStyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 12:19 PM #52
|D*Dawg|
I'm doin' mah damn thang

|D*Dawg| is a founding member
CD is good.

If there were no desire to heal
The damaged and broken met along this tedious path I've chosen here,
I certainly would've walked away by now.
And I still may.
|D*Dawg| is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 02:05 PM #53
komodo_117
Plague Upon Your Hissing

Yeah, I'm pretty hooked on this. Teflon, With Twilight as my Guide, and Copernicus are like running through my mind all day. Love love love em.

XBL - xStonedCrow
Old 07-06-2009, 06:01 PM #54
bleedonstage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treghc View Post
With Twilight as my Guide and Copernicus are absolutely phenomenal performances by Cedric.

This is Cedric's album; his real spot to shine. Everyone else is kind of meh... but Cedric is, by far, the star in the album.

Another great album. But I still dig Omar's solo stuff more.

how do you figure? i guess i disagree- just like with about everything else you've ever posted
Old 07-07-2009, 08:14 AM #55
imhungry (Banned)
***CHAOS***

how is it NOT cedric's album? all the instrumentals are downplayed and the vocals are by far the highlight of the piece.
Old 07-07-2009, 11:57 AM #56
Treghc

Treghc is a Supporting Member
Treghc is a founding member
Treghc is a Forum Captain
Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedonstage View Post
how do you figure? i guess i disagree- just like with about everything else you've ever posted
Maybe it's the fact that there are absolutely zero instrumental highlights throughout the entire album? The only thing I could possibly think that holds the slightest hint of being worthy is the emotional playing and timing of Copernicus, but then they **** that song up with a techno beat. :rollleyes:

Tarsier Slave

We are Sapien
Treghc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 12:56 AM #57
bleedonstage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treghc View Post
Maybe it's the fact that there are absolutely zero instrumental highlights throughout the entire album? The only thing I could possibly think that holds the slightest hint of being worthy is the emotional playing and timing of Copernicus, but then they **** that song up with a techno beat. :rollleyes:
well, what about the rises and falls of "Since we've been wrong" im not trying to be rude in any way shape or form, its just that i absolutely hated Bedlam with exception of 'tourniquette man" which i absolutely loved, but i find Octahedron amazingly beautiful(lol). Honestly i like it almost as much as Deloused. Sorry for the poor grammar and punctuation, after all it is just a forum on the intraweb, right?
Old 07-08-2009, 08:37 AM #58
imhungry (Banned)
***CHAOS***

i think the fact that they cut instrumental positions in the band for this album is an indicator that the focus was not the instrumentals and ****. granted, they are good, its not like amputechture or bedlam where they seemed to be put more in the lime light then cedric's vocals
Old 07-08-2009, 09:28 AM #59
komodo_117
Plague Upon Your Hissing

Honestly, I thought Amputecture was perfect. It was the best balance of crazy instrumentals, yet still retaining Cedric's presence. Bedlam was just too out there, and Frances the Mute focused a little too much on instruments (not that I don't mind that ). And in terms of overall playing, DeLoused feels "simple" after hearing everything beyond that.

XBL - xStonedCrow
Old 07-08-2009, 09:46 AM #60
imhungry (Banned)
***CHAOS***

eh, octahedron seems the most simple in a refined sense, but i agree

the voice modulation from a lot of songs in bedlam kinda ruined it for me. just went to far in some cases (love tourniquet man outside the end of the song, gives me a head ache)