Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 05-11-2008, 07:05 PM #1
Startz #77

Startz #77 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Startz #77 supports Sherwood Forest
Startz #77 supports our troops
Too many referees afraid to get hit

don't be afraid do your job!!!! when someone asks for a check get in the bunker and check them!!
Startz #77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 05-11-2008, 07:08 PM #2
danbob1088
succisa virescit

has been a member for 10 years
danbob1088 is a Paintball photographer
danbob1088 is an NCPA player
danbob1088 plays in the APPA D5 division
ummm....ok?

Good point I guess.

flickr
danbob1088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 08:20 PM #3
John
Straight shooter with upper management written all over him.

Annual Supporting Member
John is playing at Living Legends VII
John has been published on the PbNation Youtube Channel
John is a PbNation video producer
Often the issue is that teams will shoot the living hell out of a ref trying to check a player. If you do that, fully expect the ref to not continue looking for a hit and call the player clean. Don't punish a ref for doing his job.
John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 10:09 PM #4
Dr.StraightPride

I make sure to apologize to any ref that I accidentally hit during the game... I usually apologize right after I do it while the game is still going. Even in tournaments, yes. Refs need love too.
Old 05-11-2008, 10:38 PM #5
lamorte
mod a la mode

Annual Supporting Member
lamorte is a Supporting Member
lamorte donated to help Peyton Trent
lamorte supports our troops
if you think about it, if a ref isn't being hit sometime during the course of the day, he's not doing his job. i've reffed large 2000 player scenario games to major psp events and always end up with many more welts than if i had played the event. some people may think you just stand on the field telling people what to do. if you're not prepared to take unnecessary welts, you need to take up a seat as spectator, plain and simple.

✩☾ habitually nocturnal ☾✩
lamorte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 01:08 PM #6
Bonestock98 III
I'm gonna make love to ya

Bonestock98 III helped look for balloons
If you're getting shot excessively you might just be in the way though. You will have to get hit sometime but if you're getting railed every game you might need to rethink where you're standing. That being said there are a lot of refs I've seen who need to get more involved with the players and the game.
OHIO 'ballers club member #21
"Originally posted by Rebeltilldeath3: Two outcomes; jail or gay. Both options end with a dick in his ***.
"
Bonestock98 III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 01:10 PM #7
IchBinKaseBrot
Oscar Whiskey

IchBinKaseBrot is a Supporting Member
A ref's job is not to get shot or even check players for that matter, that is the player's responsibility. A ref's job is to maintain a fair and balanced field of play...

Auburn Tigers
Portsmouth FC

Collegeandmagnolia.com - Corner of Auburn & the Internet
لا يوجد سلام على أبواب
IchBinKaseBrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 01:39 PM #8
John

Annual Supporting Member
That's true to a certain extent. However, if a referee doesn't check players you certainly won't have a fair game or even a good one.
Old 05-12-2008, 02:01 PM #9
danbob1088
succisa virescit

danbob1088 is a Paintball photographer
danbob1088 is an NCPA player
danbob1088 plays in the APPA D5 division
That is the referee's discretion however - you make the check in order to keep a fair and balanced field....too many players think that a ref is their personal "go get em" guy. I hate hearing "check him ref check him oh my god go (fill in blank)ing check him".

Most of the time that player is the one who keeps rolling his marker while you are making the check, lighting you up.

We as refs do not need to "go in", get blasted, when the only place a player can possibly be hit is the side I can visibly see and I have seen no signs of any such hit, I'm not going to go in and get rocked.

It is all a judgement call on whether necessary.

flickr

Last edited by danbob1088 : 05-12-2008 at 02:11 PM.
danbob1088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 02:05 PM #10
John

Annual Supporting Member
Yeah, I tend to ask a player, "where?" But it's tempting to say, "hit him and then I'll go check him."
Old 05-12-2008, 02:16 PM #11
Milky Spore
i be illin'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonestock98 III View Post
If you're getting shot excessively you might just be in the way though. You will have to get hit sometime but if you're getting railed every game you might need to rethink where you're standing. That being said there are a lot of refs I've seen who need to get more involved with the players and the game.
QFT.
Old 05-12-2008, 07:01 PM #12
s+Smith
word

i don't have a problem checkin' guys or getting shot... but what i hate is when som1 asks me to check a guy on the opposite side of a speed/hyper-ball field, and i have to run through five different streams of paint to and from the player in question

"What would Jesus do for a Klondike bar?"

Guns don't kill people... but they do make the job a lot easier.
s+Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 06:35 PM #13
Siracalypse
[BUBBLES]

Siracalypse supports Team VICIOUS
Siracalypse is for the Gunfight
Being in the south, it gets very warm, which means less clothing.
When I'm only wearing a shirt under my short-sleeved ref jersey, I tend to hesitate to run through ropes.
Sorry I waited two seconds, to save my self from hurting the rest of the week, and being cussed out and lectured about how refs shouldn't run in front of a rope because if we hadn't he would have shot the guy he didn't hit with the other 60+ balls.
It's usually a lose-lose situation.

When you start fighting a ref, put yourself in his position.
Being a referee, we have to enforce all rules. For example, keeping your mask on. If you take your mask off, you can expect us to sound like an ***hole. Why? Because if you get shot in the eye, and you die on the ride to the hospital from brain injury and/or bleeding to death, that rides on our conscience. Which will also get us fired, and probably loose our career as a ref.

I know what you mean by referees should do their job and run in. You know what, is hurts. When you have no adrenaline pumping, watching little spheres fly through the air knowing one might hit you from the 20 feet you are away from end of that barrel with 20+ balls in the air behind that one, stuff hurts.

Now, that is just from my experience on hot, Alabama weather.

A couple weekends ago, it was slightly cold. Cold enough to wear my big, baggy, old school Element hoodie. I was more than willing to run out and check people, because I couldn't feel anything. So, if I were to be in a colder climate, it would be different.

So... to my brothers up north, why hast thou stalled upon a paint check?
Ha.

Just watch what you are shooting. Zebras are not players. Especially if we looking right at you, and gogging you, you really have no excuse to shoot a ref.

Also, I have this problem a lot at our field, as we have woodsball fields, with semi-truck trailers:
"Ref coming through. Do not shoot me, I am coming in the trailer. *waves hand rapidly in a vertical motion inside the trailer* Do not sh.. F***! Ref! Ref! I-AM-A-REF!"

Please, I speak for all refs when I say this:
∙Do NOT shoot the zebras.
∙Look before you shoot.
∙Use common sense.
∙Don't draw attention and get us lit up because you couldn't wait to apologize after the game.

Thank you for those that realize you have ACCIDENTALLY shot a ref, and apologize after a game.

[NEX ASSASSINS]
(KM Straps, Rampd Photography, ANS Gear, ROCKSTAR Tactical Systems, Vengeance Clothing LTD, Paintball United, APX Gear, Medusa PB, TXGraphics, MJMFX, Red's PB, & LT Mag.)
Siracalypse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 09:56 AM #14
BenTHEBUM31
Gotta cheat to Compete

BenTHEBUM31 supports Cereal Killerz 2
BenTHEBUM31 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
i reffed for years, and i reffed in the south also, and even when its hot u still gotta do ur job, reffing really isnt that hard just suck it up, drink water and drive on....
BenTHEBUM31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 05:29 PM #15
chatua
99 problems, all *****es

chatua is an NCPA player
chatua plays in the APPA D4 division
Quote:
Originally Posted by IchBinKaseBrot View Post
A ref's job is not to get shot or even check players for that matter, that is the player's responsibility. A ref's job is to maintain a fair and balanced field of play...
Too many times I've gotten hit without feeling it....
Old 12-02-2008, 09:14 AM #16
D.S.S paintball

I agree, i seen one ref tho who was good at his job. a guy jumped in the dorito and his mask flew off and the guy got shot in the face and the reff jumped in front of the guy and held is head and he took alot of balls in the back.
Uppd ion FOR TRADE! NOW!
Team member of: Down South Sharpshooters
R.I.P Tyson Evenson. You will be missed.
HELP ME FIND A NEW MARKER!
http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.p...errerid=410828
D.S.S paintball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 04:22 PM #17
LlamaRama

LOL, it's pretty obvious who the good refs are in this thread.

I reffed in MIAMI folks. I only wore a t-shirt. If I didn't have 4 welts and a couple extra hits on me at the end of the day I knew I screwed up.

It doesn't matter if the person calling for a paintcheck doesn't know crap. It doesn't even matter if he hit anyone. The job of a ref is to make the game more fun and fair than if anyone was playing outlaw ball - the cheaper alternative.

Would you be having fun if you KNOW (even if you don't) you hit someone, KNOW they're about to wipe, and the ref won't even humor you?

I know one thing, I would never play at that field again. The job of a ref is to humor the other players. Besides, sometimes they're right and you're wrong.

And also, if you're a ref and you're running through ropes, are you retarded? You can hit every bunker on the field by running to the rear and then running up. Yes, it requires a lot of running. You're getting paid though.

And throwing yourself in front of players who are about to get hurt is awesome. Makes me sleep really well at night.
I knew I was dead
After that first step
I knew I would fall
After that first breath
Was the end of it all.
LlamaRama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 10:49 PM #18
SENOREIDA123
Phillies '08 World Champs

SENOREIDA123 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
im not afraid
ive bleed multiple times while reffing from paintballs
Nobodies #12|Crim's Paintball Complex
BWC | HSBC | Ego Mafia | MID | AOT
Flex Owners Club v36 Council/OG
Arsenal Fan #26|BARGIPHOTO.COM|Evolution Fan #1
Phillies
R.I.P. Crims Plex/Delaware Fear
SENOREIDA123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 10:50 PM #19
SENOREIDA123
Phillies '08 World Champs

SENOREIDA123 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Quote:
Originally Posted by LlamaRama View Post
It doesn't matter if the person calling for a paintcheck doesn't know crap. It doesn't even matter if he hit anyone. The job of a ref is to make the game more fun and fair than if anyone was playing outlaw ball - the cheaper alternative.

Would you be having fun if you KNOW (even if you don't) you hit someone, KNOW they're about to wipe, and the ref won't even humor you?

I know one thing, I would never play at that field again. The job of a ref is to humor the other players. Besides, sometimes they're right and you're wrong.

And also, if you're a ref and you're running through ropes, are you retarded? You can hit every bunker on the field by running to the rear and then running up. Yes, it requires a lot of running. You're getting paid though.

And throwing yourself in front of players who are about to get hurt is awesome. Makes me sleep really well at night.
i once made people turn off their hoppers n use theyre rip drives so little kids would not get scared
Nobodies #12|Crim's Paintball Complex
BWC | HSBC | Ego Mafia | MID | AOT
Flex Owners Club v36 Council/OG
Arsenal Fan #26|BARGIPHOTO.COM|Evolution Fan #1
Phillies
R.I.P. Crims Plex/Delaware Fear
SENOREIDA123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 11:07 PM #20
wallify

Quote:
Originally Posted by John View Post
That's true to a certain extent. However, if a referee doesn't check players you certainly won't have a fair game or even a good one.
Thats not nessisarily true either. I was at the Fall pump event down near St. Louis the year and we had around 50+ guys out there 0 reffs, and it was the best day of paintball I have ever played. No arguing, No overshooting and, No cheating. Unfortunately thats not how most days are and you do need a reff there to keep an eye on things however for the most part is still is the honor system as it really should be. The reffs job is to keep things safe and make sure everyone is having a good time. At my field the rules state that the only person you can call a paint check on is yourself. That being said we do check others, but thats just gravy. Personally I HATE when players constantly call for checks on other players. The new players find it intimidating that they are being yelled at and bothered by the reff all the time. Once in a while I'm ok with it, but more often than not its abused.
Old 12-13-2008, 04:34 PM #21
LlamaRama

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallify View Post
Thats not nessisarily true either. I was at the Fall pump event down near St. Louis the year and we had around 50+ guys out there 0 reffs, and it was the best day of paintball I have ever played. No arguing, No overshooting and, No cheating.
So, in other words, you could have played outlaw ball for half the price and had just the same amount of fun?

Sounds like a field owners nightmare. If people didn't cheat in this sport then we wouldn't need paintball fields.
I knew I was dead
After that first step
I knew I would fall
After that first breath
Was the end of it all.
LlamaRama is offline   Reply With Quote