Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 06-19-2009, 08:29 PM #1
pumpman777

Why do tournament players do this?

hey i was watching a bunch of tournie vids, i was wondering????

on the breakout, why do some players keep their hand in front of their masks,
is it for getting more bounces or is it some other reason

Also i heard to tilt your hopper so it stays behind the bunker, wont this make the hopper not feed well?not feed at all, because i mean a small angle is ok but i see some ppl tilting it at like 45degress

hey alos does any1 know of any triks to get more bounces, i mean like legal stuff, like keeping your hand over your hopper or something....
pumpman777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 06-19-2009, 08:37 PM #2
Rockyboarder
So Long Gay boys....

Rockyboarder owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
It's the believe that you will get more bounces. Other do it as somewhat of a caution that, if they get shot in the hand that is covering their mask, it is all to easy to slide on the ground after sprinting or rub it onto a bunker once they get settled it.

I've seen it countless times. Ref's are normally real good at catching the 2nd thing mentioned and pull people doing it. Though, once in a while, some get away with it.

The 1st thing mentioned, with the bounces, I don't understand how people can think that will work unless if they want to catch the paintball itself. There isn't much fat / cushiony material in hands, just bone, skin, blood and a bit of muscle.
Rockyboarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 08:38 PM #3
Cam_Mc

its to make bounces, and also to make it so you dont get headshotted with thick paint (***** to clean off).

The tilt might be either to play close to the bunker under fire, or to reload.
[
Cam_Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 08:40 PM #4
twogunsup
Yes Mam

yes, sometimes players will put there and in front of there face so they will get more bounces. but the best thing is to actually look up when you are running to your bunker. so you know whether or not you have a mirror or if you can wrap around and you can see the paint lanes if you run with your head up. .

"Originally posted by texaspaintballplpaye: I don't even shoot paintballs. I just go stand behind bunkers and pose."

Last edited by twogunsup : 06-19-2009 at 08:40 PM. Reason: cause
twogunsup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 09:12 PM #5
Castro #66
Not a Moderator*

Annual Supporting Member
Castro #66 is a Supporting Member
Castro #66 is playing at Living Legends VII
Castro #66 supports Bob Gurnsey
Castro #66 is one of the top 500 posters on PbNation
Castro #66 is Legendary
Castro #66 is attending Decay of Nations VII
All the loaders they're using should feed very well up until you get to about a 90 degree angle from vertical.

The hand in front of the mask is a bounce/wipe shield... if you take a hit on the arm while running, you can probably slide it off. If you take one on the lens, it's much harder to cheat.

That said, I do NOT condone cheating.

Castro #66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 11:47 PM #6
eforcegtid00d
factorypb

eforcegtid00d plays in the PSP
eforcegtid00d owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
With modern electronic loaders, especially the ones that spin (as opposed to agitating hoppers that simply vibrate), you can tilt your hopper at a significant angle without any change in feed rate. When you tilt your hopper in, you are changing your profile out the side of the bunker. Although you're going to have to compensate slightly by exposing a little more of your elbow, a paintball is a lot more likely to break on your hopper than your elbow.

The hand in front of the face is a bounce/cheating thing - paint will almost always break on your mask, but it won't always break on gloves. Some people take it to another level and use it as a form of cheating. If they get shot in the hand while doing that, they just put that hand on the ground and drag it when they slide. By the time they bring that hand up to hold their gun, most if not all of the paint is gone. Experienced refs know to look for this and will usually catch you doing it, so I'd strongly recommend against it. You're not going to make friends by cheating and you're going to draw penalties frequently if you make it a habit.
Old 06-20-2009, 12:00 AM #7
Patrick1694

Patrick1694 is playing at Living Legends III
Patrick1694 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Patrick1694 supports Team VICIOUS
Patrick1694 is for the Gunfight
i wouldnt keep my hand in front of my hopper, then A you cant shoot like that accuratly, and B if it hits your hand it will still break.
Best way for bounces is wear a size up, you cant wear cloths that are way to baggy. But you can wear it so its loosely fit, the baggier the better.
Patrick1694 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 05:36 PM #8
thezoolander
Derp.

thezoolander owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
thezoolander supports Team VICIOUS
I sometimes do it to avoid being shot in the neck
Old 06-20-2009, 06:25 PM #9
quailman187
Bingo 1

quailman187 posts videos on PbNation
quailman187 is an NCPA National Champion
quailman187 plays in the APPA D4 division
I use my hand to cover my ear if im just running to a corner or something like that. Id rather take a shot to the hand instead of my ear.

http://www.ubpaintball.com/

http://www.dirtnapswag.com/#!
quailman187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 11:51 PM #10
ff7sephiroth_phantom
RELENTLESS PB

forearm pads are amazing, i don't know how many bounces i have got off of my planet eclipse forearm pads

sandana, you can get bounces off the forehead, or the top of the head

wear a size (or even 2 to 3) sizes up, the baggy clothing catches balls

grow your hair out, when i had long hair, i got lots of bounces

some gloves, will get you bounces

hope this helps
Old 06-21-2009, 12:25 AM #11
nronalds
Jesus wouldnt wipe

Quote:
Originally Posted by thezoolander View Post
I sometimes do it to avoid being shot in the neck
i cover my neck with my forearm and my head with my head
Old 06-21-2009, 12:26 PM #12
Fiteagain1

Quote:
Originally Posted by nronalds View Post
i cover my neck with my forearm and my head with my head
You can cover your head with your own head? Thats a new trick
Fiteagain1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 09:49 PM #13
FatalKitty
I has the awesome

FatalKitty is a Paintball photographer
FatalKitty supports Cereal Killerz 2
FatalKitty donated to help Peyton Trent
FatalKitty helped look for balloons
Quote:
Originally Posted by pumpman777 View Post

as everyone has said... cheating/bounces

Quote:
Also i heard to tilt your hopper so it stays behind the bunker, wont this make the hopper not feed well?not feed at all, because i mean a small angle is ok but i see some ppl tilting it at like 45degress
so they don't get hit in the hopper.
what they are forgetting is that by doing this they are now exposing just as much if not more or your gun/body by doing this

Quote:
hey alos does any1 know of any triks to get more bounces, i mean like legal stuff, like keeping your hand over your hopper or something....
not much you can do... wear padding that is paintball specific...
best thing you can do is learn to play better... bounces may save you 10% of the time
Old 06-22-2009, 10:07 PM #14
orvilleredenbachers
buy my ****

Annual Supporting Member
orvilleredenbachers is one of the top 1000 posters on PbNation
orvilleredenbachers is Legendary
both things are stupid

when running otb as said before keep your head up so you can see the lanes and where people are going

in theory tilting your hopper in seems like a good idea, but itll expose your arm more

and for bouncees tips are wear baggy jerseys
orvilleredenbachers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 11:05 PM #15
dude1it
Christopher R.

dude1it helped look for balloons
dude1it supports Team VICIOUS
dude1it is an NCPA player
dude1it is a top reviewer
dude1it is Legendary
dude1it is Boss
dude1it is attending Decay of Nations VI
haha yea...all it does is block your vision and eliminate your judgement on the run concerning lanes and such. If it hits your hand, it's probably going to break anyways. Suck it up and take the hit to the lense

And people tilting their hoppers crazy angles = people who have really bad form.

Pittsburgh All American Heroes 2012
dude1it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 11:28 PM #16
manwee
Explosive Kittens

manwee supports Team VICIOUS
So most of the people who play speedball have bad form? they do it because the hopper is a big target.
People will usually put there hand up there for bounces it does work sometimes D:
I dont know anybody who has there hand up all the time, only a second before sliding into their bunker. Personally I dont do it I think i can be a bit faster by pumping the arms that second longer. But what ever floats your boat

"Are they my balls all over your face?"
Karma Police 12 - "OMG IT has the worlds first ever SLPR (super-low pressure lpr) cause its gonna run at negative psi. worlds first ever anti-matter marker."
SquareDorito,"I shoot and it's going right at them, then the wind comes in and is like LOL JK!!"
".......then I busted to the spike and shot like 85 guys...did a run through...wiped five hits...bonus balled six kids in the dead box...and punched a little kid in the face......."
lucasicool is my best friend. I call him Rocky
manwee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 11:52 PM #17
ryanpb91
ryan

ryanpb91 helped look for balloons
ryanpb91 is playing at Living Legends III
ryanpb91 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
ryanpb91 supports Team VICIOUS
yeah dont tilt your hopper in, youre just exposing more of your shoulder/elbow, also, if you have good form, your hoppers in front of your face, so even if you tilt your hopper in, your face is still there
Old 06-23-2009, 12:22 AM #18
jBee
got me a pink lady

1st. I cover my mask to hold it up so that when I sprint, It doesn't fall. This is on RARE occasions like sprinting to the X. Otherwise, I hug my gun tightly and run as FAST as I can to D1/D2.

2nd. This will NOT change the feed rate unless you tilt to 90 degrees and such.

3rd. They're are not many legal techniques unless you include baggy clothes, extra layers, arm pads, and sandana bounces.
Old 06-23-2009, 02:08 AM #19
MagFan
Schoolin' Fools Since '98

Quote:

Bounces mostly. Cheating, maybe, but refs are going to notice a head hit, especially off the break. It's rare that head hits don't make a ton of splatter, so it's hard to miss.

Quote:
To keep your hopper from taking a hit. Most players do this, but many just "roll" (for lack of a better word) their gun out so the barrel barely sticks out. Creates just as small of a profile.

Quote:
Pick up one of those new chest pads (Eclipse and Empire make some good ones for sure), wear all three head layers allowed (bandana, headwrap, and a hat/beanie)., and wear a shirt/jersey two sizes larger than you normally wear (I wear large shirts, and play in 2xl jerseys).
Joshua 24:15
"But if you don't want to serve the Lord, you must choose for yourselves today whom you will serve... As for me and my family, we will serve the Lord."

~PROUD member of the NRA~
MagFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 07:56 AM #20
nathan091 (Banned)
Hojo og

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude1it View Post
haha yea...all it does is block your vision and eliminate your judgement on the run concerning lanes and such. If it hits your hand, it's probably going to break anyways. Suck it up and take the hit to the lense

And people tilting their hoppers crazy angles = people who have really bad form.
nathan091 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 08:10 PM #21
ImpulseBaller1105

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockyboarder View Post
The 1st thing mentioned, with the bounces, I don't understand how people can think that will work unless if they want to catch the paintball itself. There isn't much fat / cushiony material in hands, just bone, skin, blood and a bit of muscle.
well if your wearing gloves it could help, altough your hand is a very small area. I guess the pros are just looking for every little legal thing.