Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 12-06-2014, 08:49 PM #1
maninblack2k

Annual Supporting Member
maninblack2k supports our troops
maninblack2k supports DLX Technology
New to an Insight and need advice..

Guys- As the title says I recently purchased a used but exceptionally clean Insight and so far like it. It's stock with 2C eyes, the standard bolt, and I think it's 5.19 firmware. My primary is a OLED luxe which I love and I want to get my Insight to shoot just as smooth as my Luxe. I've been advised that upgrading to the soft shot bolt is work the $'s although I haven't had any paint breakage issues with it so far but I also haven't used it much. The efficiency seems to be really fantastic which is a improvement over the Luxe but I really want the smoothness of the shoot to be equal to it. Any advice and advanced settings that anyone could share? Any advice at all is appreciated. If I can get it so I'm happy with it I think I will be using it as my primary. Thanks.
Old Luxes - DLX Luxe #973, #2244, #847, #2067, #5806, #xxx
Luxe OLED #OLED11082
Stockholm Joy Fan Club fan #500
maninblack2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 12-06-2014, 09:00 PM #2
martix_agent
I'm out of creativity

Annual Supporting Member
martix_agent is playing at Living Legends VII
martix_agent is one of the top 500 posters on PbNation
with the new bolt, it'll be even more smooth. I'm not sure that you can match the luxe smoothness though. If you had a VCOM victory you could, though.
martix_agent is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 09:21 PM #3
maninblack2k

Annual Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by martix_agent View Post
with the new bolt, it'll be even more smooth. I'm not sure that you can match the luxe smoothness though. If you had a VCOM victory you could, though.
Thanks much! I checked on the Insight spring mod thread and am hopefull that the spring mod might be the ticket to smoothness. Overall its a really nice marker for the money but its hard to beat my primary.
Luxe OLED #OLED11082
Old 12-06-2014, 09:36 PM #4
Rhino1XL
Put a SPRING in it!!!

Annual Supporting Member
Rhino1XL helped look for balloons
Rhino1XL plays in the APPA D4 division
I'm working on the spring mod. Hang in there.

Rhino

Maximum Paintball Supply, Fresno California
Rhino1XL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 09:36 PM #5
martix_agent
I'm out of creativity

Annual Supporting Member
That spring mod is going to take a while to develop and it may not even work. I've been told that BLAST wanted to use a spring as well, and never got it to work.
Old 12-07-2014, 05:11 PM #6
Carlos_Is_King

Carlos_Is_King has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Rhinos spring mod is different and has been shown to work
Old 12-07-2014, 10:58 PM #7
bag681
Howdy damnit!

bag681 has been published on the PbNation Youtube Channel
If you want maximum smoothness:
1. Whichever bolt you end up with (stock or soft shot) break it in!!! This is by far going to be the biggest factor in smoothness
2. Once it's broken in dwell tune. You can get it down a couple milliseconds, which will shorten the amount of time the gun is vibrating. This in fact will lessen the perceived recoil.
3. This is cheating but lower your HPR. I play at 250 FPS against rentals, and 285 against everyone else. This allows me to chill and enjoy my gun when in a not-so-serious game, then play hard and fast against the people who can take it (not going to be so worried about smoothness on airball).

I want to reiterate that breaking it in will by far cause the biggest difference.
Old 12-08-2014, 06:11 PM #8
smokefools66
Overkill is underrated

smokefools66 supports Team VICIOUS
smokefools66 supports Empire
You could also try underboring your paint to lower your HPR some. Also be sure to never screw in your reg past flush, it can over pressurize your solenoid and blow it. Bob has some helpful videos on YouTube about the Insight. I have the soft shot bolt and it does help. Here is a comparison of my insight vs my old VCOM'd Vic.

smokefools66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 07:35 PM #9
Batman 5-0
Wish I was clever

has been a member for 10 years
Batman 5-0 plays in the MiLP
Batman 5-0 plays in the APPA D4 division
I doubt your Insight will ever shoot like a Luxe because ultimately its not a Luxe. You bought an Insight love it for what it is. It doesn't get credit for what it is and they're a steal for the market price.
Old 12-08-2014, 08:30 PM #10
bag681
Howdy damnit!

The insight was designed to be the fastest spool valve marker, and therefore the most efficient school valve marker. The Luxe is the exact opposite ideology. While the luxe has more reciprocating mass, it tricks you into thinking it's true there by having a very long cycle time. The way humans perceive vibration makes this seem very very smooth. The insight is smooth because there's less reciprocating mass and it's only vibrating for very short amount of time. No insight will ever have a shot that feels like a Luxe because they are completely different guns. If you want to gun that feels like a luxe, pick up a shocker or vanquish because the bolt systems are almost identical.

Meant to post that earlier but didn't feel like typing it all out
Old 12-08-2014, 10:01 PM #11
zombie93

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokefools66 View Post
You could also try underboring your paint to lower your HPR some. Also be sure to never screw in your reg past flush, it can over pressurize your solenoid and blow it. Bob has some helpful videos on YouTube about the Insight. I have the soft shot bolt and it does help. Here is a comparison of my insight vs my old VCOM'd Vic. Video Link: http://youtu.be/VndgfC27UUI
So what was your overall decision regarding insight vs. VCOM? Which do you prefer and why? Efficiency numbers between the 2? Just asking cause the insight is the only BL gun I don't own, trying to justify picking one up
Former Teams: Savage,The Cartel,CartelKidz, Notoriou$, (Dye) ]Notoriou$ (Proto) Pitch Black
Current Team:Cartel
http://www.boblongdirect.com/
///M3
zombie93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 10:41 PM #12
bag681
Howdy damnit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie93 View Post
So what was your overall decision regarding insight vs. VCOM? Which do you prefer and why? Efficiency numbers between the 2? Just asking cause the insight is the only BL gun I don't own, trying to justify picking one up
Assuming this is aimed at anyone who's owned the two, I'll throw my two cents in.
Assuming both are working as they should:
The VCOM is smoother, and slightly quieter with barely any movement in the hands and NO barrel rise. The LPR adjustability is nice with the VCOM, but honestly I prefer the simplicity of just the HPR. The insight is vastly more efficient, pulling off about 1800-1900 rounds off of a 68/4500. The VCOM is going to get more like 1000-1100 rounds off the same fill. I rock a SL90, so I couldn't care less. The insight is lighter by a couple ounces... The insight milling looks sick, but then so does my V2. I like the ability to change engines (victory) but I also like the simplicity and overall effectiveness of the insight platform. I would reccomend the insight to a bob begginner , and the victory line/VCOM engine, to someone with more know how. But both are amazing engines.
Old 12-08-2014, 10:57 PM #13
zombie93

Quote:
Originally Posted by bag681 View Post
Assuming this is aimed at anyone who's owned the two, I'll throw my two cents in. Assuming both are working as they should: The VCOM is smoother, and slightly quieter with barely any movement in the hands and NO barrel rise. The LPR adjustability is nice with the VCOM, but honestly I prefer the simplicity of just the HPR. The insight is vastly more efficient, pulling off about 1800-1900 rounds off of a 68/4500. The VCOM is going to get more like 1000-1100 rounds off the same fill. I rock a SL90, so I couldn't care less. The insight is lighter by a couple ounces... The insight milling looks sick, but then so does my V2. I like the ability to change engines (victory) but I also like the simplicity and overall effectiveness of the insight platform. I would reccomend the insight to a bob begginner , and the victory line/VCOM engine, to someone with more know how. But both are amazing engines.
Well said! Anyone else care to chime in?
Former Teams: Savage,The Cartel,CartelKidz, Notoriou$, (Dye) ]Notoriou$ (Proto) Pitch Black
///M3
Old 12-09-2014, 06:12 AM #14
smokefools66
Overkill is underrated

smokefools66 supports Empire
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie93 View Post
Well I ultimately decided on my Insight which I love, but the VCOM'd Vic was nice. I liked the super smooth and quiet shot of thr VCOM engine, but the efficiency was mediocre at best.

My field usually on fills to 3000Psi or even 2500psi at times.. So the Insight definitely shines in that department for me. I too liked the ability to switch engines as said above, I probably would've liked it even more had I bought the VIS engine. I just love how the Insight performs and excels as an excellent all around great marker.

It is hands down my favorite marker I've owned and im excited to see the spring mod be released. While I do miss my Victory, I am excited to fix up this sweet RL Marq I picked up recently.

I'm just waiting on the wiring harness and button pad to come in and then im adding G6R grips to it.

I would recommend getting a Victory with the VCOM engine if you want a super smooth shot, the VIS engine if you want a smooth shot while still being air efficient, or even a G6R if you want the most most air efficient marker on the planet lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bag681 View Post
Assuming this is aimed at anyone who's owned the two, I'll throw my two cents in.
Assuming both are working as they should:
The VCOM is smoother, and slightly quieter with barely any movement in the hands and NO barrel rise. The LPR adjustability is nice with the VCOM, but honestly I prefer the simplicity of just the HPR. The insight is vastly more efficient, pulling off about 1800-1900 rounds off of a 68/4500. The VCOM is going to get more like 1000-1100 rounds off the same fill. I rock a SL90, so I couldn't care less. The insight is lighter by a couple ounces... The insight milling looks sick, but then so does my V2. I like the ability to change engines (victory) but I also like the simplicity and overall effectiveness of the insight platform. I would reccomend the insight to a bob begginner , and the victory line/VCOM engine, to someone with more know how. But both are amazing engines.
I agree with you pretty much on everything except that the Insight is not only a beginner BL marker, it is great for even the most experienced BL owner. I do get what you mean in that the Insight bolt system is much simpler than the Victory and G6R and only one reg to adjust. Just be sure you don't crank the screw in too much.

I do absolutely love the milling on the Insight and the very responsive shot. It could be slightly smoother, but once the spring mod is released it should be on of the best markers on the market for years to come. I also love using monkey poo with my Insight since it purges with you're shooting you can smell bananas.

smokefools66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 10:27 AM #15
Angel_Owner_188200
Mod Wanna Be...Gun Tech

Annual Supporting Member
Angel_Owner_188200 is a Supporting Member
Angel_Owner_188200 posts videos on PbNation
Angel_Owner_188200 plays in the APPA D4 division
Angel_Owner_188200 is one of the top 1000 posters on PbNation
Angel_Owner_188200 is Legendary
Angel_Owner_188200 is Boss
Quote:
Originally Posted by smokefools66 View Post

I do absolutely love the milling on the Insight and the very responsive shot. It could be slightly smoother, but once the spring mod is released it should be on of the best markers on the market for years to come. I also love using monkey poo with my Insight since it purges with you're shooting you can smell bananas.
Thank you, I have shot almost every marker on the Market and I promise you guys will absolutely love the spring mod..

Sept.6th I shot an Arch Geo3.5 and my stock Insight and they felt the same IMO

Nov. 30th I got my hands on a Luxe 2.0, Lv1, and Vcom(again) and based on side by side shooting

Vcom and Lv1 had more kick than My Sprung Insight...

And while they do sound very different the Luxe and Sprung Insight feel very similar..

Trying to be completely unbiased I had the Luxe owner hand me 1 gun while I had my eyes closed to see if I could tell the difference and which had more kick, but lets be honest the frames and triggers are completely different and I could tell instantly which gun I was holding...

Only thing im missing to be shooting exactly like everyone else is MONKEY POO...

ORDERING SOON

Last edited by Angel_Owner_188200 : 12-09-2014 at 10:30 AM.
Angel_Owner_188200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 11:50 PM #16
maninblack2k

Annual Supporting Member
I really do like my insight so far but haven't had a lot of time to play with it yet. Picked mine up for a steal LNIB and really want to tinker with it. I actually put a 13/3000 tank and a sport shot hopper on it as a small tactical marker just for fun. Kinda neat setup. Anywho not to get OT but I think I will order the softshot bolt and tune it some more.

Is there a preferred tank input pressure of 450-550 per the manual the best for an Insight? What happens if you put a higher PSI tank on it, like a 800-850?
Luxe OLED #OLED11082
Old 12-10-2014, 11:39 AM #17
SilentSam

Quote:
Originally Posted by maninblack2k View Post
I really do like my insight so far but haven't had a lot of time to play with it yet. Picked mine up for a steal LNIB and really want to tinker with it. I actually put a 13/3000 tank and a sport shot hopper on it as a small tactical marker just for fun. Kinda neat setup. Anywho not to get OT but I think I will order the softshot bolt and tune it some more.

Is there a preferred tank input pressure of 450-550 per the manual the best for an Insight? What happens if you put a higher PSI tank on it, like a 800-850?
All Bob Long guns without macro-lines should use a mid pressure or low pressure regulated tank. It puts less stress on the grip frame to body o-ring.
Old 12-10-2014, 11:41 AM #18
martix_agent
I'm out of creativity

Annual Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by maninblack2k View Post
What happens if you put a higher PSI tank on it, like a 800-850?
You'll risk blowing out the ASA to grip frame oring.
Old 12-10-2014, 01:39 PM #19
martix_agent
I'm out of creativity

Annual Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by x1conroe View Post
You will blow the solenoid
incorrect. Where did you get that false information?
Old Today, 12:13 AM #20
zombie93

Moved to new thread.
///M3

Last edited by zombie93 : Today at 02:55 PM.