PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 06-13-2009, 02:41 AM #1
aieou
Presence of Mind

aieou is a Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
Joining the military while on probation?

So, months ago I was convicted of a wreckless operation. (basically I got into trouble over a DUI but I got out of it). I got tons of fines and 2 years probation for it.

Now, after a months of thought i'm thinking about joining the military. The thing is that idk if being under probation for something small like this is going to be a factor for me getting into or not. Anybody have any knowledge about this particular problem?
Old 06-13-2009, 03:15 AM #2
akruse21

akruse21 is a Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
You will not be allowed to join while under probation. Also, at least for the AF, if you are released from your probation because of pending AF service you will not be allowed to enlist.
Old 06-13-2009, 08:03 AM #3
justavillain
I've got nothing

justavillain is a Supporting Member
justavillain is one of the top 500 posters on PbNation
justavillain is a top reviewer
in the USMC you won't be able to join till after. Then I think there is a time that you have to wait after it's done. Maybe not. But you might be able to be released off your probation early to join.

Sgt USMC infantry
Firefighter/emt basic
justavillain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 08:46 AM #4
PBGeist

Cannot join the Army either, and if you get early released to enter active service you are DQ'd for life as well. Ride it out, do your 2 years + 1 month wait afterwards for the Army and do it.
Old 06-19-2009, 07:42 PM #5
shifty17

i dont believe the army or airforce will let u do this but I'm aware that the Marines do. If you go to a court you can appeal your probation for certain jobs or travel, in the instance of USMC enlistment u can get in touch with a recruiter and get stuff under the way, and upon showing commitment to joining etc. the recruiter can right a letter asking for you probation to be terminated. I also suggest you get the event expunged from your record. They do it for felonies and mis. and the accept almost every single m case. It will still show up on a thorough background investigation but apparently they view it as a noble end to a bad cause kind of thing.

http://www.jakelaw.com/milnoprob.pdf

http://www.jakelaw.com/ease.htm#job (scroll down to the military info)

hope that helps!
shifty17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 11:10 PM #6
ReDNeCk98
Chillin breh

Quote:
Originally Posted by justavillain View Post
in the USMC you won't be able to join till after. Then I think there is a time that you have to wait after it's done. Maybe not. But you might be able to be released off your probation early to join.
Same situation as me. I am on 2 years probo, I am a year and 1 month in. I did call my probo officer today to get me set up with getting of for the Marines. She said to me you usually have to be half or 2/3 the way through on your probo term, but that's just my ****ed up county in Illinois.

edit: My recruiter did tell me that I can get early released from probo and join.

Last edited by ReDNeCk98 : 06-22-2009 at 11:14 PM.
ReDNeCk98 is offline   Reply With Quote